Start by marking “Falling Pomegranate Seeds: The Duty of Daughters (Katherine of Aragon #1)” as Want to Read:
Falling Pomegranate Seeds: The Duty of Daughters (Katherine of Aragon #1)

Falling Pomegranate Seeds: The Duty of Daughters

(Katherine of Aragon #1)

Dońa Beatriz Galindo.
Respected scholar.
Tutor to royalty.
Friend and advisor to Queen Isabel of Castile.

Beatriz is an uneasy witness to the Holy War of Queen Isabel and her husband, Ferdinand, King of Aragon. A Holy War seeing the Moors pushed out of territories ruled by them for centuries.

The road for women is a hard one. Beatriz must tutor the queen’s youngest child,
Paperback, 1st, 302 pages
Published August 20th 2016 by Madeglobal

To ask other readers questions about Falling Pomegranate Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Pomegranate Seeds

Start your review of Falling Pomegranate Seeds: The Duty of Daughters (Katherine of Aragon #1)
Rachel
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My knowledge of Katherine of Aragon has always come from how she behaved during the traumatic years when she was set aside as Henry VIII's wife. In this book Katherine is revealed as a young child, growing over the course of the years to womanhood. It ends as she is about to set out for England. Sensitively and evocatively written, Falling Pomegranate Seeds gives the reader great insight into how Catalina grew up to become Queen Katherine, a woman of immense faith, dignity and strength. Catalina ...more
Wendy Dunn
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
WRITING FALLING POMEGRANATE SEEDS

First published at www.tudorsdynasty.com

A footnote. Sometimes it takes just a footnote to set my imagination alight. Years ago, I found such a footnote, in Isabel la Católica, Queen of Castile: critical essays, a book of academic essays about the times, influence and mythology of Isabel of Castile[1] , the mother of Katherine of Aragon. Katherine, of course, was Henry VIII’s wife, and went to her grave calling herself that. Really, that’s not surprising consider
Janet Vague
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. I was captivated, not only by the story itself, but the carefully selected language, the descriptive phrases, the passion, the all involving storyline, the emotion and the intrigue, so much so, that I felt it hard to put down. Congratulations Wendy, this is amazing. ThankYou for writing a book that I will never forget.
Lauren Chater
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally got around to reading this beautiful book about the youthful days of Katherine of Aragon. Gorgeous writing and Wendy Dunn's usual light touch when it comes to the challenging dynamics of family life made this a wonderful read. Although the protagonist is a young woman, this is a book for everyone. Loved it.
Paula
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only the beginning...

While I have read many books, fiction and nonfiction, regarding Katherine of Aragon, rarely has very space been given to child. Most books give us the young bride of Arthur, then widow, and wife of Henry VIII. Beatriz, her teacher, narrates the story of the young girl growing up in Spain. The relationships with her siblings, parents, her close friendship with Maria who accompanies her to England are explored and insight is given into how Catalina becomes Katherine the Queen.
Elise McCune
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read ‘Falling Pomegranate Seeds’ recently and found Wendy J Dunn brought Catalina, the future Queen Katherine of Aragon, vividly to life. Wendy J. Dunn has created wonderful truelife characters against the historical backdrop of the Tudors with imagination. She weaves history through the story in an engaging way and her characters are brought to life effortlessly .
Highly recommended.
A Five Star book.
Victoria
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always admired Queen Katherine. This novel gave me a fresh perspective on her life. I did not know her family experienced such sorrow. Surely, it shaped the woman she became. Looking forward to the sequel!
Joshua Grant
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enter one of history’s brutal holy wars in Wendy J. Dunn’s Falling Pomegranate Seeds. In this difficult time of strife and exile, tutor Beatriz must guide young Catalina, daughter of Ferdinand and Isabel, through all the hardship. Dunn beautifully brings history to life making the characters believable and meaningful. If you love historical fiction, don’t pass this one up!
Victorique Crawford
I have to admit that this was a quiet tale, a very quiet but nonetheless interesting tale. About a governess in Castille under Queen Isabella I of Castile.

I have to admit that the story was well written and displayed each daughter well enough. From Isabel, to Joanna the Mad as well as Catherine Of Aragon who will be Queen of England. Each of them are careful in how they are portrayed and nonetheless, the same for the Queen Isabella.

There is a lot of attention paid to them. As much as the details
Kiki Hughes
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting approach to Katherine of Aragon, focusing on her childhood. I liked it but didn't love it. At times I just didn't care what was happening to the characters, maybe because I knew who would die and I knew where Catalina would end up. The story of Latina was interesting but then I was wondering if she was real and if so how much influence did she have. A good book for anyone interested in Katherine's early life.
Glenice
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Falling Pomegranate Seeds tells the story of power, intrigue, death, destruction and love. The novel held my interest from start to finish. Told in third person narration and through the eyes of Beatriz Galindo, the tutor of Katherine of Aragon, it is a beautifully written novel of great depth and insight. I felt empathy for all the characters and wanted to know and understand why they acted as they did and to find out what happened to them. The use of the five senses and attention to detail was ...more
Helen Hollick
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:

" a joy to read, a fascinating insight into Spain in this era, the religious beliefs, the racism and expulsion of the Jews. I found it as interesting to explore the unfolding events as much as following the characters’ own journey through life. "

Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
L
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Falling Pomegranate Seeds – The Duty of Daughters by Wendy J Dunn is a captivating read and sure to appeal to lovers of grand historical dramas.
Book One of the saga bursts forth from the pages bearing witness to unfathomable love and virtue, journeys across deserts and beastly battle fields and oceans to destined betrothals and Castile’s court of secret alliances, unwarranted liaisons and untimely deaths.
Her perfect blend of romance, action, intrigue, and redemption will leave you in suspense
Jennifer (JC-S)
Life passed so quickly, one season dying, re-birthing into another.’

In this novel about Queen Isabel of Castile and her daughter the Infanta Catalina (known to history as Katherine of Aragon, first wife of King Henry VIII of England), Ms Dunn writes of mothers and daughters, of duty and responsibility. Catalina is the youngest daughter of Queen Isabel of Castile and King Ferdinand of Aragon, and this novel is focussed on her childhood, on how Isabel set out to prepare her daughter for both a lif
Elizabeth Corbett
Falling Pomegranate Seeds is a gentle, meditative book full of wisdom and philosophy. A book about the universality of religion, women’s power and powerlessness, the formative years of a much maligned queen in waiting. The author’s prose is too beautiful to rush. “The splendor of the morning strummed her like a harp. Wind, light and the warmth of the morning sun resonating deep within her, her whole body throbbed with the sweetness of life.” From it’s gorgeous velvety feel of its cover to its mu ...more
Rebecca
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What did Katherine think in her most distressing moments? We cannot know for sure, but through Wendy J. Dunn and her book we can immerse ourselves in Katherine's time and discover what she could have felt and thought. Falling Pomegranate Seeds is a story written with passion and intelligence that transports us to the past, to one of the most controversial and exciting period of history. Thanks to Wendy J. Dunn we do not imagine the story of Katherine, we live it.
Great.
Shiv
I absolutely love reading Wendy J. Dunn's historical novels (Dear Heart, How like you This? about Anne Boleyn and The Light in the Labyrinth about Catherine Carey). I feel that she creates such fascinating characters, she really sets the scene in the Spanish court and brings history to life!

What I loved about this book, it focused on Queen Isabel and her husband, King Ferdinand of Aragon and their children; Isabel, Juan, Juana, Maria and Catalina (the future Katherine of Aragon, the wife to Arth
Cristie Underwood
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for a review!

This book gave insight into the early years of Queen Katherine, when her life was ordinary vs extraordinary. I loved reading about the early relationships and hardships that shaped this woman into one of the most interesting women in history!
Jackie Sanders
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Brilliant read , loved every page , Wendy J Dunn is a very talented writer , highly recommended !
Mary Rutherford-birkey
As a Tudor obsessed student of history, I am always eager to read new perspectives on historical figures. Wendy J. Dunn has succeeded brilliantly in bringing the childhood and formative years of Catalina (future Queen Katherine of Aragon) to light. Dunn's ability to weave what we know with what we can only surmise, is a testament to her imagination and thoughtful treatment of her subject matter.

I loved this book! The characters were three dimensional and believable and I felt great empathy for t
Olga Miret
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A momentous historical period and a fascinating narrator I obtained a copy of this book as a gift and I freely review it to share my opinion with other readers.
I’ve been reading several books about the Tudors, Anne Boleyn in particular, recently, and I’ve always been intrigued by Queen Katherine (perhaps because I’m Spanish, but also because of what she went through and her family connections) and I was pleased to have the opportunity to read this book.
This novel chronicles the early years of Ka
Sophie Meulemans
I love love this book! Know a lot of books of Katherine of Aragon but this one is about when she was only a child and not the next queen to be!

This book is even making me think about religion, .... and that doesn’t happen that often...when i was reading this part the question i asked is ; Why Did jesus had only male apostles ? (Book is making me grateful for loads of stuff, being a girl in this time , having the right to education.. to be who you want to be...) #powerwoman #girlpower💪 #education
Viviane Crystal
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catalina, a/k/a Catherine of Aragon, is a child being reared in the Court of her parents, King Ferdinand of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Spain. Beatriz is Catalina’s tutor who narrates this poignant story of children who must learn to respectfully accept both homely joys and devastating tragedies. They must do this with dignity and aplomb, no matter how grievous the events that are honestly not fit for children’s awareness.
In an age when women are educated to marry and raise children, the royal
Elizabeth Lloyd
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In “Falling Pomegranate Seeds,” we meet a community of women travelling through Spain, from palaces to battlefields. We see through the eyes of Beatriz, the clever tutor of Catalina, daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, how she and her sisters were prepared to be dutiful but influential, as spouses of the royal families of Europe. Catalina’s harsh upbringing caused her to mature quickly, enabling her to deal with what would lie ahead, when as Katherine of Aragon she would set out for E ...more
Diane Poitevin
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely Well Witten

I thought I knew everything about the Tudor dynasty as I have studied and enjoyed every book I have read over the past 30 years. There have been many! This, however, was totally new to me as for some reason books about Katherine of Aragon as the first wife of Henry are nearly impossible to find, and when you do find them they seem to use her in the context of Anne Boleyn's enemy alone and never a person in her own right. I really enjoyed being able to read about her in the c
Adrienne Dillard
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Author Wendy Dunn has done it again. I've come to find that the people of Dunn's books are always portrayed in the most emotive and heartrending fashion and Beatriz Galindo is written in the same way. The raw humanity of Beatriz and the women who surround her is evident from the first page. Dunn explores every sort of relationship: romantic, familial, friend and foe; no link is left unexplored. I particularly enjoyed seeing a young Catalina, innocent and free of her future heartbreak, before she ...more
Arianne James
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendy J Dunn has created a beautiful book in Falling Pomegranate Seeds. Her characters are so vivid and believable despite the immense differences between their era and ours. Obviously well researched, Dunn takes her readers on a sensory journey through Spain and I've learnt a lot about the history of the country. It is also a profoundly sad novel. Prepare to have your heart broken again and again. However it is sprinkled with glowing rays of hope. I highly recommend this book to everyone!
Natalie Evans
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great imaginative introduction to the young Katherine of Aragon. Such a strong woman able to face the enormity of her life with dignity and courage as a young girl aware of her place in the world.
Rebecca Larson
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read a book the most important thing to me is to see the characters come to life – to learn about what those people may have actually been and how they interacted with others.

In this book, “Falling Pomegranate Seeds,” we learn not only about Katherine of Aragon, who going forward we’ll refer to as Catalina, but also her closest friend Maria de Salines. Maria was with Catalina from childhood – they shared a tutor, Beatriz, who is the true focus of this book. I was pleasantly surprised to h
J. Victoria
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical novels require an enormous amount of research, and the earlier the period represented the harder it will be to find reliable, and indeed, coherent information. Falling Pomegranate Seeds, the Duty of Daughters, must surely fall into that category, yet Wendy Dunn has wrought a fine portrait of Spain in the late fifteenth century, both in the place and the characters of that time, and she has done so with passion and commitment.
The story follows the lives of the children of Queen Isabel
MadeGlobal Publis...: A Christmas Give-Away! 1 3 Oct 10, 2017 03:05PM

• Hamnet
  • A Thousand Ships
  • Katharine, the Virgin Widow (Tudor Saga, #2)
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • Her Last Promise
  • The Shadow of the Pomegranate (Tudor Saga, #3)
  • The King's Pleasure
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
  • The Spanish Bride
  • Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!
  • The Spanish Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon
  • Plantagenet Princess, Tudor Queen: The Story of Elizabeth of York (Plantagenet Embers, #1)
  • Plain Jane
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • The May Bride
  • The Women of the Cousins' War: The Duchess, the Queen, and the King's Mother
  • Jane the Quene (The Seymour Saga #1)
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #10)
Wendy J. Dunn is an Australian writer who has been obsessed by Anne Boleyn and Tudor History since she was ten-years-old. She is the author of two Anne Boleyn novels: Dear Heart, How Like You This?, the winner of the 2003 Glyph Fiction Award and 2004 runner up in the Eric Hoffer Award for Commercial Fiction, and The Light in the Labyrinth, her first young adult novel. Wendy's third novel, Falling ...more