Start by marking “The Authentics” as Want to Read:
The Authentics

The Authentics

The Authentics is a fresh, funny, and insightful novel about culture, love, and family—the kind we are born into and the ones we create.

Daria Esfandyar is Iranian-American and proud of her heritage, unlike some of the “Nose Jobs” in the clique led by her former best friend, Heidi Javadi. Daria and her friends call themselves the Authentics, because they pride themselves on
Published August 8th 2017 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Authentics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Authentics

Lola
3 1/2 stars. I don’t remember ever reading a novel about an Iranian American heroine and I’ve finished more than a thousand books. That is a problem. There should be more books like this one.

And it’s not as though the author mentions this about Daria and then moves on. Not at all. He talks about Iran and how there are disparities between Iranians and Persians. He even talks about Iran’s history, although briefly.

He sure could have given the reader more historical background, since culture is s
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE AUTHENTICS is a tough book to rate. On the one hand, it brings up a lot of important topics in a fairly engaging and accessible way. On the other hand, it tried to do so much in such a short amount of time, that it ended up feeling disorganized. The heroine is not the most likable of characters, and is also a drama queen and a hypocrite, so the beginning of the book is a rough ride until she gains some self awareness about 50% of the wa
leenahreads
I have so much, and i mean so much!!!, to say about this book. It was thought-provoking, touching, and enlightening in so many ways. *emotionally crying*

The Authentics is a story about culture, identity and self-discovery. Daria is about to turn 16 years old, and as part of her class assignment, she is required to do a little research on her ancestry. What she realizes is that everything she thought about herself as an authentic Iranian girl might not be true. This takes her onto an adventure
Jen Ryland
I'm loving all the YA coming-of-age stories featuring diverse characters that I've been reading lately: Saints and Misfits, That Thing We Call a Heart and now ... The Authentics. All feature relatable and engaging main characters who have close relationships with their families.

The Authentics is also a story that shows how multifaceted identity in modern-day America can be. Daria, who is Iranian-American, is assigned a genealogy project for school. She has a group of friends who represent man
Yusra  ✨
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
My advice; don’t read this book. It was a waste of my time and was one of the most infuriating novels I have ever laid my eyes upon. Don’t mistake the beautiful cover for anything, don’t mistake the fact that we have a culturally diverse Persian character as the protagonist; just don’t. It is so poorly written and was highly offensive to me because the protagonist was downright rude. I’m all for negative characters being protagonists but this was just next-level and horribly executed. The charac ...more
Camryn
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was slow at first, but ended up being really funny and sweet and pulled at my heartstrings by the end.
Stephanie Wilcox
I really wanted to like this book, I really did. You don't often seen Iranian MCs, especially in a book that focuses so heavily on performative identity, culture, gender, and relationships with other women. Yet, it was executed so ridiculously poorly.

So much of this book thrives off of women hating each other and frankly being complete jerks to other women on the sole basis that women are... bad? Frankly, the MC is a complete judgmental dick to her former best friend (and many other women in the
katayoun Masoodi
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, ya
and i so wanted to read this and so was thinking it's going to be good...i think i read it all and gave it the 2 stars just for that hope that never materialized, if the mc was not iranian i wouldn't have given it even 2 stars or lasted till the end, if the mc was not this pseudo-charicature-not really-ddefinitely not authentic iranian i might have not disliked this so much or maybe that's not really true, cause i didn't like the writing, didn't like the people and didn't like the story.
though
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
I requested The Authentics from the Indigo newsletter because it sounded extremely diverse- I haven't read much about the Iranian culture and I am interested in reading about as many different ones as possible. Plus, that cover is gorgeous!

I ended up really enjoying this book, as was expected, but I don't think that it would reign as a favourite of mine. It was very diverse with a good plot, but the main character was a bit dull and I don't see myself remembering her for too much longer.

The Auth
Tova
Well, that was an adventure. And I loved it. My first 5-star book of the year. RTC.
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was such a beautiful journey of self-discovery and appreciation for those who love you and you love back.

Daria and her friends always believed they were being authentic, being true to themselves. However, after experiencing an existential crisis, Daria begins to question what it means to be authentic. While trying to work through this situation, she learns a lot about herself, her friends, and her family.

This story had me hook, line, and sinker from the very beginning. I l
Richard Kramer
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, okay. Abdi Nazemian is my friend. Transparency. Now you know. Which has nothing to do with what I’m about to say here. I have plenty of untalented friends; Abdi is not one of them.

But to begin at the beginning …

A few years ago he shared a secret with me: he had written a book, a novel, called THE WALK-IN-CLOSET. Great, fine, I’ll read it, sigh. What he DIDN’T say, what I had to discover for myself, was that the novel he’d written was wonderful. It was good enough to make me want to be a writ
Shenwei
I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did, but it actually made me tear up a tiny bit close to the end.
loved the diverse supporting cast, which includes other POC and queer ppl and QPOC(!).

There were several instances of ableist language though so cw/tw for ableism toward mental illness.
Jonathon Aubry
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly fun and thought provoking read by one of the most inventive authors, a true rising star! His ability to tap into a female voice and a gen z heart while exploring complex issues of identity is masterful, I highly recommend this book!
Deborah

I liked a lot of the ideas but the execution didn't wow me.
Noor
Not sure why this was advertised as Muslim YA considering there is not one Muslim character in the entire thing... (spoiler alert: a Persian does not a Muslim make).
Karen
very strong 3.5!
Kelly Hager
Dahlia
Really enjoying the spate of culturally infused coming-of-age novels I'm reading lately, and this was no exception. Interesting to me that the title focused on her friend group when her family and culture are so beyond dominant of the plot and definitely the stars of the show, but definitely not upset about the stuff that actually took center stage, even if it wasn't necessarily my expectation going in.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Welcome to my 2nd DNF of 2018.

DNFing at 35%. Why? The voice of the MC was painfully immature and the plot of the story was not delivered correctly. I quickly discovered that I didn't care what she had going on or how she and her friends/family were more concerned about having the latest fashions or vacationing. Her approach to finding out the big news about her past was poorly handled so I'm cutting my losses now.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

**C
Luke Reynolds
One chapter and 11 pages complete, and I’m already not interested. It’s not bad, but I’m getting the “holier than thou” vibes, even though they aren’t as strong as other books. But when you have lines like this:

Now [Heidi] was beautiful and popular, and I was, well, authentic.

Maybe it’s because my mother valued being fabulous way more than being real.

I start questioning my empathy towards the protagonist. How is being popular always associated with being fake? They are legitimately nice popu
Jessica Martinez
The Authentics is about a 15 year old girl who's family has lied to her about being adopted. When she finds out by blood test that she is half Mexican,she tries to find her birth mother but instead finds her first kiss. Daria is very proud that she is Iranian.She thinks everyone needs to be authentic but knows that's not possible. Daria then finds out why her mother has being lying to her which makes her understand. Overall this book is a great book because it teach young adults in why someone m ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I really loved Daria's story, it's heartfelt and meaningful and her character development is great. What made me only mildly enjoy the book is the romance. If there's one thing i dislike in books is forced romantic feelings, i just didn't see the point of Daria and Enrique being together at all when they work much better as friends.
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Rating and review to come
Christy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one pleasantly surprised me and I am so glad I read it. Full RTC
Nicole
I'm very tired of books that demonize female characters for stooping so low as to liking makeup. Nail polish is not the enemy. Pitting women against each other for no reason is.
Mona
***1/2

It started a bit slow but picked up steam in chapter five when Daria discovers a secret that changes everything she ever believed about herself and her family.

Her life becomes an emotional rollercoaster, and every nuance of that ride is on the page. I couldn't help but sympathize with her.
Rachel
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Family stuff ALWAYS gives me Emotions, and this book was no different
Nikki S
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely made the right decision in stopping my other book and starting this one. Finished it in a day and I LOVED it.

*Edit 08/20/2017*

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

It's very rare that I have enough time to finish a book in a day. It's also very rare that I WANT to finish a book in a day. But with The Authentics, I got lucky and had both of these things on my side. The Authentics is funny and definitely what I needed at the time.

The Authentics consist of Da
Emily
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute book. It's a heartwarming YA story, which is not usually what I go looking for, but this one is much deeper. It's a unique storyline, and the characters are well-rounded.

It was so refreshing to me that this was not a romance book. It's definitely part of the book, but Daria is focused on herself, her family, and her friends. I also liked that the romance was a little questionable, and it's probably not something the average YA reader is going to swoon over. The whole storyl
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• That Thing We Call a Heart
  • Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 4: Enter the Stingers
  • Name Me Nobody
  • Sacrifice (Serpentine #2)
  • Rani Patel in Full Effect
  • Jasmine and Maddie
  • Malice
  • Meg & Linus
  • Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia
Abdi Nazemian spent his childhood in a series of exciting locations (Tehran, Paris, Toronto, New York), but could usually be found in his bedroom watching old movies, listening to Madonna or reading Archie comic books. He currently resides in Los Angeles with his two children and his fiancé.

As Head of Development for Water's End Productions, Abdi has been an executive producer or associate produce