Start by marking “Endurance: The Complete Series” as Want to Read:
Endurance: The Complete Series

Endurance: The Complete Series

(Endurance #1-5)

A disrespected ship, exiled to lonely patrol in the dark corners of the solar system.

A crew of screw-ups, written off by the entire fleet.

They're about to change everything.

If they don't blow themselves up first.

Join the Endurance's crew - a trigger-happy first officer, a hyperactive engineer, a shy covert operative, a conspiracy-spouting physicist, and a captain trying to
Published September 16th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published September 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Endurance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Endurance

Start your review of Endurance: The Complete Series
Mike
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, the praise. For me, this was a better-written and funnier space opera than the Hugo-winning Red Shirts by John Scalzi. The characters are more distinct and better developed, the plot makes more sense, and the description is far superior.

Now, the undermining of the praise. I thought Red Shirts was mediocre and not at all funny, and didn't think it remotely deserved its Hugo. The characters in that book were indistinguishable, not least because they (and their environment) are never descri
Gray Mouser
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
The story has been done before : Young captain gets demoted after clashing with the establishment to head an outcast crew of loosers... who end up saving the day.

Having said that: it was beautifully done. Characters were stereotypical, but lovingly rendered. This compilation is a collection of novellas and short stories, but they can easily be considered chapters. While none was told from a first-person perspective, each was told mainly from the point of view of one of the main characters. The
Thierry Robelin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is made of stories that could also be considered chapters of a single book. They are chronological and follow the same storyline. I found it quite enjoyable, and the accent the author puts on the awkward characters works really well in making the story interesting. Sometimes I think this could be made into a cartoon.
I would have given 5 stars to this enjoyable work by Any Spahn if a bit more attention had been given to the technological aspects of the story, that sometimes I found a lit
Andrew
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be completely honest, I finished the first book through sheer determination, and was only going to give it 2 stars rather than 1, because the writing (grammar, word choice, lack of typos) was better than way too many books nowadays. Why did I dislike it? Because I finished it wishing just about every character had met an untimely end. Though he had an admirable honor streak, the Captain came across as a pompous ass, and all the others were pretty much stereotypes from bad "B-roll" films. I fi ...more
Susan
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This set includes all the books in the Endurance series. These should not be read as standalones and this set makes it easy to read them in order. There is violence. This is an interesting storyline and worth reading.
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great Series!

I enjoyed this series alot. It had humor, action, a little romance and a lot of heart. I am a sucker for the underdog and I wasn't disappointed!
Richard
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure how large the comedic Science Fiction book category is but I would put A.C. Spahn’s Endurance Series into the top ten. This Kindle edition of the Endurance Series includes all five novellas and two short stories.

Thomas Withers has just been assigned to command the space ship Endurance. While this sounds like quite an honor, we quickly learn that the Endurance is the joke of the fleet. She was named after Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship from a Trans-Antarctic Expedition which launched
Kathy
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this a whole lot more than expected; I started it New Year's Day and figured to have tossed it aside by lunch, when in fact the story was well worth reading. It's funny without being labored and the people are interesting even if a little bit two-dimensional. Bear in mind it is a very fast read, so if you like getting more than a couple hours of book time for $4 then wait for it to go on sale via Book Bub.
You can see a slightly longer review here: https://www.morebooksthantime.com/end..
Leo R. Hernandez
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Orville re-envisioned

Great read with interesting characters whose back stories are not painstakingly but creatively fleshed out to the point that they are seamlessly integrated into the plot of the story. The plot twist revealed towards the end is carried out exactly when and how plot twists should be written into stories. Very reminiscent of the Orville without the moral lecturing. Highly recommended. As to 5 stars...we’ll, nobody’s perfect.
Crash67
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read with quirky characters

I enjoyed this book. It was a welcome distraction to all the Covid-19 stress in the world right now. The author did a good job developing the characters while maintaining their quirkiness and The books humor. The book treks a full story ark with a satisfying ending. I Also liked that the author included a list of quotations from the first officer at the back of the book.
Vic Falconer
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining

Spahn has delivered an excellent story with loveable quirky characters on the Endurance who are able to emerge victorious despite their unorthodox methods. My only critique is that it was far too short. I would have happily stuck with this crew for several more books.
Deana St. John
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm kind of mixed on this book/series. It was kind of "chopped up" (I guess that's what makes it a series.. duhhh) into different stories, then looped back around just in time to go to the next story/situation. Some of the characters were wonderful, Areva in particular and some of the stories were good. Others not so much.
Worth the read, if you're patient.
John
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty typical space opera story--Disgraced captain being shuttled of to an old ship with a crew of misfits, and proceeds to save humanity. There are some interesting characters to carry the story.
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Awesome Indies Book Awards is pleased to include Endurance Anthology by Amy Spahn in the library of Awesome Indies Book Awards' Badge of Approval recipients at http://j.mp/AwesIndBk510 ...more
Max Savenkov
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
This books remind me of late-Silver Age sci-fi, or maybe very, very early Asimov ("Luck Starr" series). They're very simplistic and light on details, ideas and character development. Maybe I would have liked these texts if I read them at 10, but right now, I found them barely acceptable. ...more
Bjorn Wythette
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How rare to find a writer who knows the art of telling a story . . . and knows how to write. My hat's off. Wonderful characters with charm and wit, and lordy be an inventive storyline. Enjoyed every minute.

Bjorn Wythette - Author of The Rock and the Raindrop: A Space in Time
Joe McGowan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buck Rogers move over

This collection of stories is pure and simple old time Saturday morning fun. Hopefully the author will visit this universe again.
CJ Smith
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lighthearted and goofy.
Donna Meraz
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging

Very creative. Fun read. The story's keep me engaged and chuckling at all the crazy antics of the unlikely crew.
Linda Novak
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amusing

Well written characters off on a mission to save the universe. It was a fun ride that kept me reading.
Thomas Youkel
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found the characters quirky enough and Fish, Ivanokoff, and Areva were my favorites because of their flaws. Humor with your heroes is always fun.
Niles  Perkins
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
cute but story line not for me
Ken
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A fun series of interconnected five novellas (and a short story) in the vein of _The Orville_.
Kevin Black
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great series

Fun, funny but in a weird way. The crew are all misfits and entertaining.
Enjoyed the stories. I would like to see more of their adventures.
Kyle McCreary
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read! I laughed, I cried, I laughed even more. And I cheered out loud every time the crew of the Endurance pulled another victory out of deep space. A wonderful series!
Caron
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting

The story is interesting but lacks any real creative plot twists. The conflicts are constant which is good. Easy reading.
Brad Moses
May 19, 2020 is currently reading it
I barely made it through the sample. It seemed terribly silly even within the context of science fiction. If I really get desperate trying to find something decent to read, I may try it again.
Sandi Shaw
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun Story, Worth the Read

I enjoyed the compilation of this short story series. I don't normally like short stories because they lack in plot and character development, but these flowed together like a full length novel. (I almost didn't select it and would have missed out on discovering a new Sci-fi author, whose books I plan to read in the future.) This series had many of the things I enjoy in a good space opera--humour; battle and spec-ops action; a little romance; interesting tech; plus smart
Tahlia Newland
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a well written and engaging series of short novels about a bunch of misfit characters on a space ship called the Endurance. Each book focuses on a different character - all real and believable, though somewhat excentric - and has humour amongst the drama, a good balance of action and character development, and pacing that keeps you reading without gasping from over exertion.

The series is unpretentious, simple, and charming, and written with a light touch. Each book takes about the time o
Shauna Bickley
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing style is engaging, with quirky characters and a good balance of humour and interesting storyline. I’ve previously read each of the books but enjoyed revisiting them and the bonus of two additional short stories.

The books follow the adventures of the Endurance crew. They are a group of very individual characters brought together to crew the Endurance because of past mistakes or events. Together they make the first alien discoveries but even this doesn’t endear them to the ‘powers tha

• Shady Oaks (Bob and Nikki, #3)
  • Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1)
  • Lost in Transit (Bob and Nikki Book 6)
  • Charlie's Planet (Bob and Nikki #5)
  • Whammo Ranch (Bob and Nikki, #2)
  • Mimic and the Space Engineer Boxed Set (Space Shifter Chronicles #1-3)
  • Captain Caveman (Bob and Nikki #7)
  • Dark Transmissions: A Jinxed Thirteenth Novel
  • Starfoot (Bob and Nikki, #4)
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Forged in Space Boxed Set (Jack Forge, Fleet Marine #1-3)
  • Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • The Accidental War (Dread Empire's Fall #4)
  • A Mersey Killing: When Liverpool Rocked, And The Music Died (Mersey Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Anti Life (Anti Life #1)
A. C. Spahn writes science fiction and fantasy, often with a dash of humor. Her shorter works have been published by Daily Science Fiction, Star*Line, Disturbed Digest, and others.

Learn more and get in touch at www.acspahn.com.

Endurance (5 books)
  • Enduring Endurance (Endurance #1)
  • Mightier than the Sword (Endurance #2)
  • Under Cover (Endurance #3)
  • Preferred Dead (Endurance #4)
  • Wet Ducks (Endurance, #5)