Start by marking “Dinnertime” as Want to Read:
Dinnertime

Dinnertime

They’re back! Hilarious and hair-raising, these internationally best-selling pop-ups make the perfect Halloween treats.

One day a frog is catching flies, when down comes a vulture who announces, "I’m going to eat you for my dinner." GULP! Get ready for a chain of hungry critters with gaping mouths and moving jaws in this deliciously scary, delightfully funny look at
Published July 8th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Dinnertime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinnertime

Start your review of Dinnertime
Ardesia
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fa
Gnam!
È un mini-libricino pop-up, di quelli coi disegni che escono letteralmente fuori dalla pagine.
Qui a uscir dal libro son le mandibole dei 6 animali protagonisti di una fulminea rappresentazione della catena alimentare. Testo inesistente, ma mascelle masticanti simpatiche! L'ho comprato anni fa per regalarlo a un cuginettolo, ma alla fine l'ho tenuto: ogni tanto lo sfoglio e mi sento scema, ma come si fa resistere al rumorino che fanno le mandibole del coccodrillo e della rana mentre si
Wendy Unsworth
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply one of the best pop books we have ever owned. My children loved it and now my grandchildren love it. The pop ups of the animals are a big and bright surprise on every page. Little children are delighted again and again - our favourites the crocodile and the gorilla!
Rachael Birks
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monster + Pop-up = Happy Small People.
Sam
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Probably funnier if you're five.
Karen
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animals get hungry too! In this hungry picture book readers follow a dinner menu up the jungle food chain as one animal eats another from one page to the next. Each hungry creature eats the last before winding on their own way into the jungle and meeting the next predator who greets them and gobbles them. All but the last apex predator, who chooses to eat without conversation!

The best thing about this book is that all of the mouths move as each creatures snaps up some dinner. If the reader
Rachel
One of my favorite pop-ups makes a great puppet story too.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I love these pop ups, they're so much fun.
Lucy Takeda
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! My son’s favorite at the age of two.
Vivian
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Since our story times include babies, toddlers, and pre-schoolers we often begin our presentations with pop-up books to capture their attention. This gem of the food chain genre was perfect for this week's Midnight Snack Attack theme.

We invited children to make the sounds of the featured critters which include a frog (ribbit), a vulture (caw?), a gorilla (chest thumping), a tiger (roar), a crocodile (snap while extending arms to imitate jaws and clapping hands as jaws shut), and a shark (JAWS
Sasha Thompson
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
I loved the pop outs of this book. They were so cute and made me laugh. I thought it was funny how each animal ate the other, and they got bigger and bigger each page I turned. This book didn't have any storyline, just that they ate each other, which is why I think the title is appropriate. I thought this was a fun book and that kids would really enjoy reading it.
Akemi Joy
I remember reading and loving this book a lot as a child, but I'm not such a fan as an adult. My mom just sent me our old copy and you can tell it's well loved as most of the pop-ups are repaired with tape. It's a little macabre and not biologically accurate, but if my sisters and I are any indication, kids love it.
Christopher Sears
My children tore through this book pretty quickly, so I'm donating it to the recycle bin. Dinner Time is an introduction to the food chain that is grizzly by children's book standards. I would recommend another book.
Mackenzie Piper
This is such a cute, simple, CUTE pop-up book! It's a fun, silly way to break down the food chain for children. I loved how moving the pages made the animals' mouths open and close as if they were talking or chomping down on their meal. So adorable and creative!
Eli For
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
8 year old says 1 star, she read it to her 4 year old brother, he said "14 stars"
Robin
Animals eat one another in the food chain. Simple but fun pop-ups
Jim
What?!? Is this book rated R? It's about a bunch of animals eating each other! Disturbing. Maybe I should have taken a clue from the blood-splattered cover.

The pop-ups were cool, though.
Betsy
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great food chain story-could be scary to some little ones.
Erika
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very cute book i recommend it to anyone
Amy For
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathy
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love pop-up books!
Diana
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute pop up book. I loved this when I was little and so do my kids.
Bob Hartley
Jan Pienkowski is a legend.
Rebecca

• The Sneetches and Other Stories
  • Play With Us
  • Christmas Secrets
  • Spot's Alphabet
  • We Have Fun (Ladybird Key Words Reading Scheme, Book 2a)
  • Look at This
  • Elmer on Stilts
  • Usborne Lift and Look Farms (Lift and Look Board Books)
  • That's Not My Reindeer: Its Body Is Too Furry
  • Find the Duck
  • The Usborne Book Of Farmyard Tales
  • Dear Tooth Fairy
  • In the Arctic
  • You're a Hero, Daley B!
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
  • Who's in the Bathroom?
Jan Michel Pieńkowski is a Polish-born British illustrator and author of children's books. He is probably best known for his Meg and Mog books with writer Helen Nicoll and for his pop-up books, including Haunted House (winner of the 1980 Kate Greenaway Medal), Robot, Dinner Time, Good Night and 17 others.

Pieńkowski illustrated his first book at the age of eight, as a present for his father. During