Start by marking “The Never Dawn (The Never Dawn #1)” as Want to Read:
The Never Dawn (The Never Dawn #1)

The Never Dawn

(The Never Dawn #1)

NEW DYSTOPIAN TRILOGY: BOOK ONE

All his young life, Noah has longed to see the sky he's only heard about in stories. For over one hundred years, Noah's people have toiled deep beneath the Earth preparing for The New Dawn – the historic day when they will emerge to reclaim the land stolen by a ruthless enemy.

But when Rebekah, the girl of his forbidden desire, discovers a s
Published August 5th 2016 by FrontRunner Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Never Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Never Dawn

Start your review of The Never Dawn (The Never Dawn #1)
Dianne
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
They worked for Mother every day. She only has their best interests at heart. She knows if they work a little harder, they’ll be ready when they can finally leave the “ark.” Maybe this generation of children will be the lucky ones to above ground to see the world their ancestors once lived in, but they MUST continue to do everything Mother says, for their own good.

THE NEVER DAWN by R.E. Palmer is a dark dystopian read for young adult audiences as we follow Noah, who becomes a clearly constructed
Nicole Chinnici
A unique take on the young adult dystopian, The Never Dawn took me by surprise, not only in how it stood out from other books I’ve read in this genre but also how it captured my attention from the start and held it all the way through.

"I had touched the sky. Not the real sky; that, of course, would be soft. The one under my fingertips had felt hard and scratched my skin.”

The Never Dawn is full of interesting layers. The world building was fascinating, revealing itself piece by piece until the c
Kylie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle

Starts off with a similar feel to the Silo series but certainly doesn't end the same.
Cary Morton
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I received a copy of this book directly from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Never Dawn by R.E. Palmer was so much more than I ever expected. The writing was clear, concise, easy to follow, and flowed at an easy pace. There were quite a few typos in my copy, but I’m honestly not that upset about it. None of the errors were enough to jolt me out of the story.

The characters were interesting and at times, painfully naïve, but their naiveté is also what made them so fascina
Reonie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is one question that pulls you through the story at all time. What’s really going on?

Its morbid curiosity that made me watch these poor soul’s cruel brainwashed existence. To see their constant strain between self-preservation and loyalty.

We follow Noah through his daily routine in the Ark. All of the characters are named after Bible names. This lends a whole extra level of questions about being subversive or following leaders blindly. (Or that’s how I’ve interpreted it. There is a lot o
Sam
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, 4-star
The world building/society/Mother gets a 3. Kind of generous. But for the conversations this book brings about and how much I enjoyed mentally exploring these concepts, even if they annoyed me, brings it up to a 3.75.

tl;dr If you just want to be entertained and are more passive when it comes to reading, and were also wanting a lighter 1984 book, I'd say this is 100% worth it. If you're a deep thinker and a fan of 1984, you're gonna have some gripes xD

Not tl;dr:

“They have been chosen, they have e
Chloe (Forever Fictional)
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
* * *
I was super impressed with this book! From the very first page, I was sucked into the story of intrigue and it kept me gripped until the very last page!
The Never Dawn follows Noah, a young man who works under the Earth, hoping to one day return to the surface and see the sky. But, after finding out a secret their leader has desperately tried to keep hidden, he decides to escape and find out what's really lurkin
Jane Kelsey
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
In this story, we follow Noah who works in the underground hoping that one day they will be able to leave and see the sky that's been promised again so we see Noah going about his day to day life until he finds out a secret he was not supposed to and meets Rebekah. I was slightly disappointed because I didn't get to know Noah as much as I would've liked or any of the other characters, especially in terms of physical descriptions.

However, it was interesting to see Noah as he was trying to figure
N.N. Light
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imagine being forced to live underground and not even being able to see the sky. Mother says it’s for your own protection. Is she telling the truth or is it all a lie?

The Never Dawn is the story of Noah, a young man living in a dystopian society. There are rules for everything and it’s all about the collective good. There is no personal identity, no individuality and if one person amongst your team messes up or slows down, the whole group suffers.

One day, Noah is given the diary of Moses, a he
Bex
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
As soon as I heard about this book from the author, I was intrigued – the concept story is loosely based off of Noah’s arc. And although the similarities end at the fact that the protagonist is called Noah and he lives underground on the Arc, I am always drawn to books that are retellings of other well-known stories. It also kind of reminded me of Seed by Lisa Heathfield, with the whole cult-element, and the total indoctrination of all the characters, which made me very interested to find out mo ...more
Sam Law
Read More Book Reviews on my blog It's Good To Read
Summary:

This is the first in a YA dystopia trilogy. There are very strong echoes of 1984 here,  as we follow the life of Noah (all character names are biblical, by the way). Genders are kept separated, and all are under the control of “Mother”.

Main Characters:

Noah: On the cusp of eighteen, he is part of a team that is building a machine to help them get to the surface.

Rebekah: His love interest, a premium is placed on sidelong glances an
Shannon
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CHECK OUT MY FULL REVIEW HERE ON MY BLOG

Thank you to the author for contacting me and sending me a copy of this book in exchange for my full and honest review.

So I went into this book not having heard anything about it before, and looking for a new exciting dystopia to pull me out of my recent sci-fi and dystopia lag where I just haven't been enjoying any. Unfortunately, although I enjoyed some aspects of this novel, it just didn't hit the spot for me.

The pacing of the novel was incredibly sl
Caitlin Farley
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The Never Dawn starts slowly as Palmer builds intrigue around the abnormalities of life in the large, underground colony called The Ark and Mother’s strict leadership.

Noah and his worker colleagues labour hard all day to assemble machines in the factory. Although he’s only 17 at the start of the novel, he’s so stooped and worn that I tended to think of him as being much older. Noah, and all the other characters, have a distinct brainwashed feel to them but even so, I found it a little difficult
Catherine
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
To start with, this is not a new plot. The same premise appears in an episode of Star Trek (as in the old old Star Trek). As I was reading this were parts of this that were eerily familiar that made me wonder if I had read this before, maybe in a short story version or just another book with a similar plot. After all, Star Trek is television and they often steal their plots from books. This is the reason I gave it four stars.
There is not a lot of action but there is plenty of tension. Everythi
Ruth B
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What at first seems another dystopian YA, reveals to be an interesting sci-fi story with a dark tone and mature characters. Noah has grown up believing Mother stories and dreaming of seeing the real sky. Her tales of how they ended up below the surface and why is important for each one to have a role have been the norm under which he has lived day by day. But when he starts to questions things and meets Rebekah, his world crumbles and the discoveries will be mind-blowing.

The Never Dawn is a book
Boundless Book Reviews
The Never Dawn is the start of a dystopian trilogy. In the beginning, it’s a bit slow, and all honesty didn’t grab my attention. I love a story, that will grab me from the get-go. But I continued through, wanting to know about these characters and this world that Palmer created.

Noah’s world is an interesting one. He’s a little naive to his surroundings. And the one they call Mother. Palmer has a great ability of writing such a world. The detail and imagery you get throughout the book was great.
Liz Etnyre
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
First in a series. Part Brave New World, part For The World Is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky, part Orphans of the Sky, part Wool - but not quite as good as any of them. Rather slow moving - or maybe just a bit repetitive. (May be the author's attempt at YA pacing?) Pacing at the end could definitely use a bit of help. Was building toward a solid 4 star read for the first half of the book, but dwindled to a 3 by the end, mostly to do with pacing. I do not think I will read on in the series. P ...more
Susan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The Never Dawn is the first book in the Never Dawn series. This should not be read as a standalone as it ends in a cliffhanger. Parts of this story reminded me of the Wool series. These kids are raised in what they are told is a safe place underground and that the air isn't clean for them to go above ground yet. When some of the kids question what is going on, they discover that all is not as it appears. ...more
Lisa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, books-won
I don't know how to review this book. I definitely was intrigued and it was hard to put down at times, but it also moved so slow that I was getting bored at times. Noah, the main character, is kind of annoying. I did love the idea and basis of the story. The twist at the end definitely caught me by surprise too. I knew there was something coming but didn't expect that. ...more
Alex Norton
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can find my full review here: https://likelystory.blog/2019/04/28/r...

I thought this book was a really refreshing taking on dystopian societies and had a plot twist I did not see coming (which I always welcome). This book is has mystery, intrigue, and romance. If you're looking for something new and interesting, this is a good book for you.
Kayla Reimer
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Typical Dystopian Novel

It was a neat premise and was very applicable for young adults. The language felt a bit young for my taste and the plot line was fairly typical of the dystopian genre but the quality of writing was good. The main characters are likeable and relatable. I will not be reading the rest of the trilogy, however, as it did not appeal to my tastes.
Elvira D Ryan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Story

Can’t wait for the next one in the series. For me it was a little slow at first, but it picked up . At my age I should have realized that things are never that easy. I am rooting for these kids.
Leta McCurry
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, compelling story of Noah and his friends whose entire existence is based on a lie and their every thought and action is controlled. But then the fabrication begins to unravel and the web of deceit is fascinating. Enjoyed the tale.
Salla (Books Told Me So)
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Feeling awkwardly uncomfortable for the entire time I read this book. This just wasn't my cup of tea.

Full review on my blog:
Tim Shepard
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
An okay book

This book does just what it's supposed to. It tells a story. There were times though that I felt a lot of story was taken from other ideas. Still the writer has done a decent job of creating an environment and characters that draw the reader in.
Kimberly C. Winslow
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Very unique and I think it's for all ages! I didn't see the ending coming at all. "Mother" was eerily similar to N. Korea leader "Our Dear Leader" . Characters and the psychology was well done and the concept was well thought out. I highly recommend!
Jackie
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a very quick and enjoyable read! I'd totally recommend it to all dystopian-lovers! RTC. ...more
Sheila gullick
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down

Could not out it down. It had me from the very start. It makes you think about things we are taught. Ready for the next one
Kaitlin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review soon
Donna
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing dystopian read!

Loved the characters and the story seeking to find the ocean and the trees. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kindle Unlimited ...: The Never Dawn by RE Palmer 2 6 Nov 28, 2016 08:15PM

• Lights Over Cloud Lake
  • A Splendid Ruin
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Mantivore Dreams (Arcadian Chronicles, #1)
  • Strange Kin and other Short Stories
  • The Border Legion
  • Gray Wolf: A legends of Ansu fantasy
  • A Dead Red Miracle (A Dead Red, #5)
  • The Last Cabin and The Last Orchard Box Set
  • Battle for Earth (Shockwave, #1)
  • The Catalyst (Steel City Heroes #1)
  • Obsolete Theorem (Across Horizons, #1)
  • The Last Day
  • The Pages of Time (The Pages of Time, #1)
  • Choosing Her Alpha
  • Dark Side of the Moon: The Sixth Token (Time Game Series Book 6)
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • A Thief in Time
As an avid reader from an early age, I've always enjoyed books (and also the films of my favourite books). Whilst I read a wide range, I tend to lean toward science fiction, fantasy and historical (with a military angle).

I first wrote short stories in my early twenties, and although I've long since lost them, I can still recall most of the details as if I'd done them yesterday - in fact, a few ide

The Never Dawn (3 books)
  • Cloud Cuckoo (The Never Dawn #2)
  • The Gates of Dawn (The Never Dawn #3)