Start by marking “Ego Is the Enemy” as Want to Read:
Ego Is the Enemy

Ego Is the Enemy

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  22,706 ratings  ·  1,602 reviews
“While the history books are filled with tales of obsessive, visionary geniuses who remade the world in their image with sheer, almost irrational force, I’ve found that history is also made by individuals who fought their egos at every turn, who eschewed the spotlight, and who put their higher goals above their desire for recognition.” –from the Prologue

Many of us insist t
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published June 16th 2016 by Tim Ferriss Audio (first published June 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ego Is the Enemy, please sign up.
Ryan Holiday An author signs their work. It's how they are held accountable for what they've created. The only time one shouldn't is if there are real safety…moreAn author signs their work. It's how they are held accountable for what they've created. The only time one shouldn't is if there are real safety concerns preventing them from properly doing so. I stand behind my work. (I answer the question in some depth on Brian Koppelman's podcast, The Moment, btw)(less)
Raghu Hudli Most certainly. As they say hindsight is 20/20. The book is replete with examples of how ego has hurt people and how humility has helped them. The…moreMost certainly. As they say hindsight is 20/20. The book is replete with examples of how ego has hurt people and how humility has helped them. The examples in the book come from all walks of life. Their analyses helps understand how to confront ego. The book is also logically divided into different sections - Aspire, Success, and Failure which gives one a strategy to overcome ego.
(less)

·  22,706 ratings  ·  1,602 reviews

João Fernandes
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody who knows me knows that I am a big fan of Ryan’s work. But when I read that his new book was about ego I got a bit fearful for him. I’ve read many, many books that approach this same theme and 90% of them fail miserably at addressing it. Not only this is one hell of a complex theme, this is also a very vague and elusive subject. I feared that Ryan would fail for the first time in his career as an author.

But in the first few pages I was proved wrong. Thank God, I thought, this guy is ev
Ivan Goh
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a millennial myself, I see too many people around me drift by life wondering if there's any purpose to life. We are all delusional in a sense that we literally think the world should revolve around us. There a voice in our minds that scream out loud; "you deserve better!". We expect our bosses to pay us more, our spouses to love us more, our friends to be more generous to us, without us putting in the time and effort that is needed to build these kind of relationships.

We change our jobs, our
Quinn Cottrell
Jun 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Ryan's previous book, 'The Obstacle Is The Way". This book was so bad I couldn't even finish reading it.

Instead of insightful, pragmatic advice it felt
more like the petulant rant of a frustrated writer. The tight connections between the historical examples and each chapters point that were so well done in the first book, were lacking. It seemed to me that Mr Holiday was projecting ego or a lack of ego onto many of the characters just to make a point.

Don't bother buying this book
Danielle
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a struggle to make it through this book, which is a shame because this is a concept that I can really get behind.

"Ego Is the Enemy" is a series of platitudes, sometimes actually useful, with varying relevance to the overall theme. Ryan Holiday uses "ego" as a substitute for human vice in general, which is probably why the book is so meandering and occasionally preachy. The whole thing seemed like a pep talk he is giving himself in the mirror. I gave it two stars for the inclusion of inte
Lucas Carlson
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely full of amazing anecdotes loosely tied together in three sections: Aspire, Success, and Failure. If you are looking for inspiration to get you through a pit of despair, and can't stand empty platitudes, this book is for you. This will go on my shelf to re-read for sure.
Josh Steimle
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have any tattoos and never will, but I can easily understand why Ryan Holiday has "Ego is the Enemy" tattooed on one forearm, and the title of his last book "The Obstacle is the Way" tattooed on the other. Words mean things, and when certain words are committed to memory and are repeated in certain types of situations they change behavior, and thereby can change the course of a life. If you read a book and don't remember anything about it, its effects are muted. Ryan has made sure the le ...more
Avolyn Fisher
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Some may say ego is the voice that tells you that your thoughts are book worthy, that millions of readers are dying to hear what you have to say. That your opinion is so important it should be published and sold in stores.

I fell in love with the introduction to this book. I buzzed with excitement and wholehearted agreement. I blazed through it, I couldn’t agree more with what Holiday was saying.

Then the book began and it was almost an instant struggle to read. Perhaps I didn’t like this book be
Simon Eskildsen
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Ego Is The Enemy starts off with a strong testament: The type of people who tend to succeed early, tend to be the same kind of people who are in danger of ego taking the predominant voice in their actions. As your body of accomplishments grow, your ego may follow, installing itself in you as an arrogance. Arrogance is often confused with power and self-confidence, both by the person, and by people around them. Ego is a soothing voice. It's comforting. Pursuing great work, in arts, business or sp ...more
Lusius
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“While the history books are filled with tales of obsessive, visionary geniuses who remade the world in their image with sheer, almost irrational force, I’ve found that history is also made by individuals who fought their egos at every turn, who eschewed the spotlight, and who put their higher goals above their desire for recognition.” – from the Prologue

Many of us insist the main impediment to a full, successful life is the outside world. In fact, the most common enemy lies within: our ego. Ear
Emma Sea
I'm entirely unsure why this is getting such glowing reviews. It's fine. It's a perfectly good book. My rating reflects me going in after all the hype, expecting new insights, and finding none. Is the idea of embracing humility and beginner's mind really so refreshing?
Ayush
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you feel 'your work' is better than others when there is evidence to the contrary ?
Do you think grunt work is for 'small people' and you should always be the one producing 'big ideas' ?
Do you often chalk out grand future plans in your mind without paying due respect to the present ?
Do you tell yourself stories to cover up your faults so that your ego is not hurt ?
Are you passionate to the extent that its a crime to expect anything less than perfection ?
Do you believe you are a 'know all' and
SaRa Hanefa
This Book is Great , Beneficial and Enjoyable 💙

I Love This ..💜❤
Vance
Ego can certainly be your enemy. It's important to remain humble while being confident in your daily activities.

I heard the author discuss the book on EconTalk and I thought I would enjoy it. However, it's more of a self-help book than one where you can really learn new ways to worry less about your ego and find new avenues to grow as a person.

I was looking more for the latter which is why I gave it two stars, though you might like it.
Laura Leaney
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent reminder that none of us is the center of the universe. A little humility will not make us a doormat but it just might allow us a more powerful future. There's quotable inspiration on every page.
Paul
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble reading this book. I quit a couple times, thinking that there was something fraudulent about the book, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

After finishing the book and reading a little about the author, I had a sense that it carried the enthusiastic voice of a fundamentalist preacher, a salesman, or a college football coach at halftime. First of all, he never defines the word "ego," which makes the fundamental interpretation of the book subject to an enormous variety of subjective d
Alex Linschoten
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in stoic philosophy or who read Holiday's last book
Recommended to Alex by: Aaron Wolfson
Maybe 3.5. I'm always left a little disappointed by Ryan Holiday's books. The promise is huge but the payoff is less than expected. Nevertheless, there was a lot in this book that I found useful, even just as a reminder. Not all of this book will be relevant or useful to you, and I felt at points that this was a book that Holiday felt he needed to write for himself; he has said as much in recent interviews. If you liked his last book, The Obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Adversit ...more
Greg Seguin
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's a good complement to Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, giving a modern backdrop to the same Stoic ideas. Also particularly liked the Aspire, Succeed, Fail framework the book follows.

My biggest critique is that Holiday writes this as a book for everyman, but it would be more correct to say that the lessons are targeted to the reader who is at risk due to ego - competitive, high-achieving, perfectionist types who self-promote and aggrandize achievement. This is not a
Michael Britt
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And that’s what is so insidious about talk. Anyone can talk about himself or herself. Even a child knows how to gossip and chatter. Most people are decent at hype and sales. So what is scarce and rare? Silence. The ability to deliberately keep yourself out of the conversation and subsist without its validation. Silence is the respite of the confident and the strong.”
Alex Gluchowski
Hugely important messages, very poor arguments. Having read https://sivers.org/book/EgoEnemy I was rather disappointed. If you have that humble mindset, the book is just a reminder. If you don't yet, barely will it convince you.

Read the Sivers' summary instead.
Matthew Ting
This reads like a bunch of loosely related fortune cookies sequenced one after another. If you've read the title, you've read the book... can read Derek Sivers' summary, which is far more appropriate a length given the underlying substance of the book.
David Yu
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Few interesting points: dividing life into moments of success, aspirations, and failures and how ego affects us in all three categories.

Ego is often attached to expectations, how we deserve things and recognition, what we should strive for is to be detached from the outcomes, where the effort is enough and the process is what is important.

But a lot of things were very repetitive and did not seem entirely tied to ego, but anything that seemed bad seemed to be an issue with ego.

I agree ego is of
Matthew Welch
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I kept rolling my eyes while listening to this book. The historical anecdotes are interesting but too often it felt like the author was projecting his own opinion on why people did certain things and their thought process. Most of the principles the author is trying to convey are fine but basically boil down to "Work hard and don't get too big for your britches." I think an alternate title of the book could have been "Success through Subserviency".
Keshav Bhatt
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read Holiday's previous books, I was excited to read this after seeing the reviews and recommendations from people I admire, and it didn't disappoint.

Ego is something we all know about and are aware of but this book allowed me to study and reflect on my own much deeper. As someone who makes YouTube videos and gets a small measure of public attention, it was an important read and definitely made me aware of some pitfalls to watch out for on my journey.

Most of the messaging around us is a
Laura Noggle
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Every time you sit down to work, remind yourself: I am delaying gratification by doing this. I am passing the marshmallow test. I am earning what my ambition burns for. I am making an investment in myself instead of in my ego.*

Review to come ... after I write the two articles that are due. 😅
Mark Wickens
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Identifying an enemy is supposed to be the first step toward defeating it. But Ryan Holiday doesn't define his enemy in any fundamental way, nor do we learn the principle behind its alleged dangers. Instead, the author throws every mistaken, delusional, pathological, and immoral motivation into a grab bag and calls that the ego. We learn only by example, through a series of biographical vignettes, that people who are narcissistic, vainglorious, and self-absorbed come to miserable ends, while suc ...more
Kyle
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
An endless humblebrag, this is every 'just so' story of success put in a pile and shaped into a self-portrait.

Narcissism wearing a philosophical hat.
Mai Anh
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stay humble because ego is the enemy
Michał Śmiałko
What would I have seen if I wasn't blinded by my ego?
Ryan Holiday did a great job in describing the ego’s origin and its symptoms seen in the World around us. After reading the book, you start to realize why there’s so much bullshit surrounding us and how to deal with it.
There’s another lesson taken from the book that I find wise. We should be more careful when it comes to admiring others. As the author says, it’s a painful moment when you realize that you despise someone who you wanted to becom
Denar
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
My takeaway: As the title says, ego is your greatest enemy to get where you want to be. Your current self gets in the way of who you want to be in the future.
thebakedbook
My first issue with this book was when the first page of the book details some "context" for you while doling out all of the authors accolades. I thought EGO was the ENEMY man... not the first page to justifying your credentials to talk about the ego because you have accomplished some things. It's 2017, and if we are reading this book, we all have experience with the ego and the luxuries of late stage capitalism.

This author is very disjointed and all over the place. It was hard for me to stay f
Ego......sounds useful 2 27 May 08, 2018 05:42AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix page count, thanks 2 17 Aug 24, 2016 10:05PM

• Unmistakable: Why Only Is Better Than Best
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
  • Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
  • Leap First: Creating Work That Matters
  • Hacking Happiness: Why Your Personal Data Counts and How Tracking it Can Change the World
  • Great Thinkers: Simple Tools from 60 Great Thinkers to Improve Your Life Today
  • How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life: An Unexpected Guide to Human Nature and Happiness
  • Primary Greatness: The 12 Levers of Success
  • Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t: Why That Is And What You Can Do About It
  • Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • Don't Be a Jerk: And Other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master
  • The Thinking Life: How to Thrive in the Age of Distraction
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
Ryan Holiday is media strategist for notorious clients like Tucker Max and Dov Charney. After dropping out of college at 19 to apprentice under the strategist Robert Greene, he went on to advise many bestselling authors and multi-platinum musicians. He is the Director of Marketing at American Apparel, where his work in advertising was internationally known. His strategies are used as case studies ...more
“Your potential, the absolute best you’re capable of—that’s the metric to measure yourself against. Your standards are. Winning is not enough. People can get lucky and win. People can be assholes and win. Anyone can win. But not everyone is the best possible version of themselves.” 111 likes
“Impressing people is utterly different from being truly impressive.” 73 likes