Start by marking “The Lawnmower Man” as Want to Read:
The Lawnmower Man

The Lawnmower Man

"The Lawnmower Man" is a short story by Stephen King, first published in the May 1975 issue of Cavalier and later collected in King's 1978 collection Night Shift.

One summer, Harold Parkette is in need of a new lawn mowing service. The summer before, a neighbor's cat was accidentally killed when another neighbor's dog chased it under the mower. Harold has been putting off h
Published 1975

To ask other readers questions about The Lawnmower Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lawnmower Man

Start your review of The Lawnmower Man
Gillyz
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
King throws up in your mind a fat naked man on fours eating grass. A green juice runs down his chin and drips on to his pendulous belly. Ew :D

The scene described above is what makes the story worth reading. However, even after consulting some Greek mythologies references, the major part of the story comes out of the blue without any explanation to what is happening.
skylar
*1.5

This one wasn't for me! I didn't think it was scary or creepy, at all. I didn't care about Harold Parkette (view spoiler). I definitely think that (view spoiler). I heard that this story is well-liked from some nonreaders in my life, so my expectations were too high for sure. A big no from me.
James
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not one of King's best short stories. Kind of bizarre really.
Simon
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Clever use of Greek mythology into modern (?) day horror, or at least horror at a time when the publication was modern, this was published back in 1975, which to today's day and age is a long time ago.

Honestly the whole trouble could have been avoided if he had just not called the Police, but in doing so made him become the sacrifice to Pan, Pan the Man.
Allison
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely a weird one. I didn’t mind it though! Kind of like reading stories that are insanely bizarre. I’m not knowledgeable about the mythology behind this story, but I probably would like it more if I knew the references.
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3.7
Kaitlyn (ktxx22) Walker
Not a fan of this one. Too much mystery and tongue in cheek. You really needed to know some mythological facts to understand this story fully.
Benjamin Stahl
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
To be honest, this is a pretty stupid story; probably the weakest of an otherwise nearly stellar collection in Night Shift.
Russell Howcroft
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the thirteenth story in Night Shift. It's quite disturbing for being only ten pages or so long.
Myk Little
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This isn’t great but I read it when I was a kid and the unusual story really sparked my imagination.
Steven Delbove
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Good thing I have a lawnmower man already. Shit.
Katie Taylor
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: king
Didn't go the way I thought it would
Dmitry Butsenets
Mar 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
зеленая, зеленая мура....
неправдаподобно, не страшно, не увлекательно.
тоска зеленая.
Dec 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Breathing Method
  • Roadwork
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Cool Air
  • The Library of Babel
  • The Messengers
  • Sanctuary
  • The Strange High House in the Mist
  • The Complete Big Nate: #1 (amp! Comics for Kids)
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police (Dilbert #8)
  • The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions