Start by marking “The Koala Who Could” as Want to Read:
The Koala Who Could

The Koala Who Could

Fans of The Gruffalo and Giraffes Can't Dance will love this feelgood rhyming story portraying a positive message about facing up to change, something that young children can sometimes struggle with.

Sometimes change comes along whether we like it or not . . . but if you let it, change can be the making of you. Kevin the Koala discovers this and more in this delightful

Published September 8th 2016 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Koala Who Could, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Koala Who Could

Start your review of The Koala Who Could
Calista
Kevin from Down Under - a cute Koala. He is scared of not being in control. He is like so many of us thinking that he does have control. He learns it's an illusion. Luckily, he has a great community who is trying to support him and help him be brave. When disaster strikes, he learns that life is ok and he can let go a little. He starts to enjoy life a little more.

The kids had fun with this one. My brother has a horrible and funny Aussie accent so everyone was in stitches reading it. Great and
Robin Raines-Bond
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun rhyming text and adorable illustrations with a good story about not being afraid to try something new.
Olivia Tosti
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book exploring how change and trying something new can lead to amazing things! Kevin the koala is my new best friend!
Hannah Higson
This is a great book - I love it.
Kevin the koala is very happy living on his tree. He doesn’t want to venture down below into the busy world. One day a woodpecker pecks at the trunk and Kevin has no option to come down before he falls. Kevin still refuses and he does fall. Kevin soon realised that it isn’t so scary on the ground and from that day on he knows that he CAN do things even if he is scared of them.
Great illustrations!!!
Bridgette
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kevin, the koala, doesn't want to ever leave his true. He's too worried about will happen if he ever comes down, but when something happens that forces him down, he discovers there wasn't anything to be worried about. This would be a good book for kids with anxiety, especially about trying new things.
Wendy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book-e
The book had a nice rhyming pattern, making it a great choice for a read aloud. The illustrations nicely accompanied the story - Kevin the Koala was adorable. Overall, a great message about trying something new, even when you think it maybe scary.
Tracy Morton
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really cute picture book about a koala who avoids playing with his friends because he is afraid. Once the koala gets a can do attitude he discovers life is much more fun. I'm using this book for my Australia storytime.
Grace Gayer
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about a koala anxious to let go of his tree! A story that could work well when introducing children to the idea of staying at school for a day when they first start!
Garrett
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Good pace. Just be careful when saying "can't" with an Australian accent. I made that mistake.
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
This is a really cute book that teaches kids that they can do new things.
Teresa
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been reading this book to my son a couple of times a day every day for over a month and I’m not sick of it! The story is so cute, simple but inspiring, and I love the illustrations! I even bought another one by the same authors hoping that it’s as good. But I have to say I have a soft spot for koalas :)

Edit: I just realized I only gave my opinion but not my son’s. Well, he’s 6 months old, so I’m not really sure what he thinks, BUT it seems to be his favorite book at the moment. In the sense
Julia
Gorgeous illustrations and a fun rhyming story about accepting/embracing change.
Ingrid Sawubona
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kevin the Koala hates change. He’s afraid to leave the safety of his home behind because everything outside his comfort zone is too fast, too loud, too big or too strange.

But one day he is forced to learn how to embrace that change—with the help of his friends, of course—when a woodpecker pecks down his comfortable, safe tree.

This adorable book with its amazing illustrations, explores the idea that we know all too well as adults! Life can often lead to amazing new adventures when you are forced
Zoe Mobbs
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really liked the illustrations of this book and the fun and rhyming language! Teaches children to take risks out of their comfort zone.
Marj
This is a fun, rhyming tale about a koala who can't quite break free of his routine (even if he sometimes think it might be fun). The highlight for me was the illustrations-- the backgrounds were glorious.
Jane Young
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story and illustrations!
Erin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin likes “sticking to what he knows best.” Living in his tree, he doesn’t have to deal with the animals down below who are “too fast and too loud and too big and too strange.” Kevin can always find something else to do when Wombat asks him to come down and play. But then, one day a woodpecker taps away at his tree. Will Kevin find the courage to live on the ground with the other animals, or will he find a new home high up and safely tucked away in another tree?

The Koala Who Could is a fun
Erin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Koala Who Could is a fun
Diane
"Kevin preferred not to move, or to change."

Kevin Koala prefers to cling to his tree, never coming down to the ground despite his friends urging him to come and play. Then, one day, a woodpecker changes his life. When the woodpeckers starts on the tree, Kevin still clings to his tree ... and continues to cling as the tree falls to the ground.

Out of his comfort zone for the first time, Kevin realizes that his friends are there to help him and suddenly "He felt SPRINGY and LIGHT and HAPPY and
Thebruce1314
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is simple, but the pictures are appealing and I Koalas! ...more
Charlie Dawson
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice little book about Kevin who finds his own feet and discovers a can-do attitude. Children could learn a lot from Kevin.
Gervy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the "throw caution to the wind" message in this one, but my risk-averse 6-year-old seemed a little dubious.
Maggie Erickson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes a little change can open your world to big possibilities." In order to continue living, we must progress and grow and without change, however un-enjoyable change may be, that's impossible. I liked this, because it is to true. There is so much out there that we are missing out on because we are too scared to try.
I love Kevin, mainly because I relate to him probably more than I should. I am one who hates change. I do not enjoy changes happening. I don't respond very well to change. I
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Bright, Rachel. The Koala Who Could, PICTURE BOOK. Scholastic, 2017. $16.99.
Kevin is a Koala who doesn’t like change. He stays in his tree all day and all night, inwhatever season or weather there might be. Even though his friends invite him to play, he sticks to his tree and refuses to move. He imagines the terrible things that might happen if he leaves and it’s just too much for him. One day he wakes up to a tapping sound on his tree. A woodpecker has come and his tree is starting to be
Bethany
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kevin is afraid to leave his branch. He's afraid of change and new things and would prefer to stay in his safe place. His friends try to get him down and to have some fun with them, but they have no luck. Kevin would rather cling in his tree.

When something happens to his tree, Kevin is forced down and realizes that the ground isn't that bad. Change isn't so hard and can even be adventurous and fun. Now, Kevin will never cling again because he's having too much fun spending time with his friends.
Esther
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This sweet picture book is about an adorable little Koala bear named Kevin who quite possibly suffers from agoraphobia. He doesn't like change and the world below seems a "frightening place- too fast and too loud and too big and too strange." Despite his friends calling out to him to come down and play Kevin just cannot bring himself to leave his comfy little home up in the tree branches. Until one day he gets an unexpected visitor which leaves him no choice but to abandon ship! This book is ...more
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
adorable story of a koala named kevin and all his fears! only to one day realize that adventure and friends are waiting on the other side when you try something new!
AMY
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
A rhyming story where Kevin the Koala likes things as they are. He doesn't like change and never tries anything new. It is a good book for working through personal issues. Readers will need to turn the book vertically to see the long view on one page. Kevin has got to learn to let go of his comfort zone and things he is used to in order to move on with life. It is a good story with cute, colorful illustrations. Counselors, teachers and parents will love this one. I would recommend for grades ...more
Lara
Kevin is adorable! His fluffy ears! Aside from the oh-so-cute illustrations, this is a fun one to read with very smoothly flowing rhymes. Also, quite honestly, I needed Kevin's story. With an exciting job opportunity entailing a big move ahead of me, I also needed to be reminded of the good things that happen when you take that step.

I'd definitely read this one for storytime. Koalas, Australia, being brave... lots of good themes that this one would fit with.
Stephanie Crowther
Cute picture book that teaches about trying new things.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Oi Cat! (Oi Frog and Friends)
  • Dog on a Frog?
  • Luna Loves Library Day
  • Monster's New Undies
  • The Thing About Yetis
  • The Bear, the Piano, the Dog, and the Fiddle
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Zog
  • Perfectly Norman
  • Bear's Scare
Rachel is a writer of words, drawer of pictures and champion of silver linings. She exhibits widely, writes tirelessly and frequently creates slightly unhinged characters.

Her written work includes children’s stories and poems, clever advertising copy and lots of other stuff besides. Her illustrative work is a smorgasboard of giant, hand-printed poems, mind-bogglingly detailed gouache illustrations