Start by marking “In Vino (Spires, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
In Vino (Spires, #3.5)

In Vino

(Spires Universe #3.5)

A novella about Jasper, a character from FOR REAL. A giveaway to folks who sign up for Hall's mailing list.
Published August 2016 by self

To ask other readers questions about In Vino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Vino

Start your review of In Vino (Spires, #3.5)
Alexis Hall
Aug 06, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Oh wow. This is on GR. Cool. Thank you.

This is just a freebie I wrote about Jasper (From Real). You can grab it by signing up to my hopefully non-annoying, non-spammy newsletter (which you can unsubscribe from at any point).

Trigger warnings for some pretty vile stuff because Jasper is a pretty vile person.

Also for extreme pretentiousness.

Other details: short story, contemporary setting, m/m (both cis), Spires series, explicit sex, somewhat kinky.
Dia
5 HUGE HOT stars!

I absolutely loved this book!!! The only problem: it is too short!!!! But God, it was SO intense!!!
Can't believe how much I loved it! Wow. Just wow. Unexpected and extremely hot! These words describe perfectly my impressions.

I thought we'd see Jasper with Sherry, but I guess it was even hotter to see him with his student. And wow, what a transformation! From a quiet and obedient student to such a tease! I liked Oliver. He seemed really sure of himself at one point.
Well the
Kat
I've been harbouring some serious Jasper feels since reading For Real for the first time more than a year ago. He only had the briefest of cameos in that book, but he was in it enough to have me convinced his was a story that, someday, hopefully, would be told.

So while this isn't Jasper's full story, it is a Jasper aperitif that manages to show what a pretentious, sad, kinky, messed up, inappropriately behaving dick he is.

Needless to say I loved this and I love him.
Mel
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy Fuck!

Jaspar might even be more painful captivating than Milord to read about. This was... dirty. In every way, heh.

It's free.
Since Alexis says thank you for winning the RITA Award for For Real.
If you wanted to read more about Jaspar, here you have it. Not to be missed...

Ariana
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-gap, lgbtq
This short novella is about Jasper, Laurie's professor friend who we met in 'For Real'. Please do not be put off by the fact that this is not heavy on the page count, or that the MCs of 'For Real' are not the centre of the story.
It is an amazing and really poignant piece of writing, giving us a snapshot of Jasper's state of mind on the day when Laurie and Toby visit his university. And my heart was bleeding for the man. Outwardly snappy, snarky, insensitive to downright mean, he certainly
Xia Xia
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Xia Xia by: Moony, Gabriela
Only Alexis Hall can make me feel I'm reading Shakespeare and not some kinky teacher - pupil short.
Gabi
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jasper is truly a mess. I understand why the author hesitates to write his story, but I so want him to. ...more
Kira
Uhh, guys, don't read this right after For Real
No, seriously, don't even try, you'll spoil all that great aftertaste.

Which doesn't mean that the story is bad, not it all. It's great, actually. But Jasper is not a happy man, and since In Vino happens on the same night that we meet him in For Real, you won't expect that he will suddenly get much happier at the end of it, right? This story is just an episode, not "an ending" for him, and thank God for that.

I mean, it's brilliant. If Alexis Hall
Izzy
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This kinky, naughty, vignette conveys more emotions and sexy shivers than most so-called erotic romances. Jasper is a man with a story and whether we finally get that story or not he is a character who will stay with me.

A naughty, tipsy Oxford Don, a young virile undergrad and Alexis Hall's writing - sublime.

Oh and currently free from his newsletter !
Moony Eliver
I read this tasty little nugget hot on the heels of finishing For Real, since Jasper's character hailed from there. Very well-written smexy short story, with nothing feel-good about it except in the carnal sense. But the prose also made me LOL several times. I would really love to read a full-length novel about Jasper, even though of course it would feel MUCH different than For Real. He's an intriguing character! Who clearly has very hot sex. ...more
Bev

A nice, kinky little addition to the Spires Universe, but surely Jasper [and Sherry for that matter] deserve a HEA?? Jasper cannot spend his whole life drunk as a Lord and still keep his job, and Mr Baron deserves a little sympathy here too....as will Sherry when he discovers what's happened.
Jackie
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short story about Jasper, a character who appeared in Hall's For Real. Not a romance per se, more of an incident, in which self-loathing Oxford don Jasper has a tryst with a student. Hall's typically brash and evocative writing, with a "hot-mess" protagonist whom Hall doubts can ever star in his own full-length novel. We shall see...
Pixie
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebie
Listen... I like it when people do things they know they aren't supposed to. This was wrong from start to finish....
Elena
Only Alexis Hall's writing could get me to rate 4 stars a story with an awful MC like Jasper.
jazmin
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think that Alexis Hall could write about anything and manage to make it beautiful. You can not read a book from the Spires stories and not feel in it your heart for days afterwards.
Alison
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So well done. Jasper Leigh was quite an intriguing secondary character in Hall's For Real, so I was really looking forward to this story and it is indeed excellent. It's a brilliant little character portrait of an awful, miserable person who treats people horribly, but it's also extremely funny and completely heartbreaking. This is short, but it packs a powerful emotional punch and the writing is so sharp.
Cici
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written of course. I've come to expect nothing less.
I'm not quite sure how Alexis Hall packs so much humour, gut wrenching love,hurt,envy,hate and loss all mixed up in what is a few hours beginning at the end of the night and ending in the early hours but he does and does it really bloody well.
Trio
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
wow - that was - interesting, depressing, poetic, hot... as always, gorgeous Alexis Hall prose, beautiful fucked up characters fucking up. Full novel? We can hope :)
La*La
I've been intrigued by Jasper in For Real...he has such a quirky, fascinating personality. He's even more awesome in this sexy, sexy vignette...damn, can't wait for the full novel! We'll get that, right? RIGHT?

**pleading gaze**
Laxmama
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just a bit of Alexis Hall being as always amazing. This just makes me greedy for more ASAP!!! LOVED
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Hall's trademark gorgeous writing - at once precise and lush, academic and vulgar. His dialogues never go the way I might predict, but their quirkiness never feels forced.

He warns us in the preface to this novella-ette not to expect too much, and I think he's right. The piece (which covers a couple of hours one evening) takes us into the unhappy head of Oxford-fellow Jasper, twistedly in love with Sherry, but prepared to have a quick meaningless shag with a young male student in the meantime. He
Julia
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This short story made my shitty Sunday more bearable. Thank you, Alexis.
Chelsea
It was great seeing more of Jasper. He's the most fucked up, cold and arrogant man ever and this story basically encases all of that while he uses his 18 year old student for sex. It was hot.. and interesting.. not romantic. Super enjoyed it.
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
*sighs* This is, of course, wonderful: Funny, human, gorgeously written, razor-sharp, achingly poignant. It's also deliciously filthy :) And Jasper is just such a beautiful, heartbreaking, monstrous wreck of a man.

Or, y'know, I could have just said: Here's a book by Alexis Hall. :) The man makes us feel all the feelings, always.

I really, really hope we get more of Jasper's story someday. This is one character who really needs his happy ending!
iam
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, free-reads
aw man, this feels like such a tease, I'd love to read a whole book about Jasper (and his POV when he's not drunk)
Liewen
2 words : Jasper. JASPER.

(Also, I've learnt the correct pronunciation for "Leigh", and felt like a numbskull -that's the Jasper effect. HEART HEART HEART).
Anna Goerlitz
Hot little freebie about the hot mess that is Jasper. As always, Alexis Hall's prose is beautiful and flowing, even when what the prose portrays is deep self loathing. I am not sure this is enjoyable, really, it's kind of sad.... But steamy and interesting all the same. Would love a full length novel about Jasper.
Lotta
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jasper is one of the Oxford characters from For Real, and this is a scene that takes place on the night of the Oxford dinner that Toby and Laurie attend. Jasper is a black hole of self-loathing and misery, who seems to find no redeeming qualities in himself. He believes himself capable of the very worst, and to some extent, I think he may be right, in that he might push himself to reprehensible actions just to prove it to himself.

In a way, it reminds me of Tom Mendocino's Probation, where the
bookfaerie
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant offering from Alexis Hall in his lyrically poetic writing style. The only thing wrong here is that it is entirely TOO short. While we don't get to spend time with Jasper and Sherry, we get a real sexy and interesting encounter with Oliver and he is quite the treat. He brings out an unexpected glimpse of Jasper that would be terrific to see more of. As expected, Jasper is his naughty self; which is great to share with him. I'd really love a full-length story to visit even more ...more
Mariam
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think like y'all need to like read this? I love all the words that Alexis Hall writes and I think I need a whole book just for Jasper to make very bad decisions. This has professor/student in it, one-night stand kinda deal, and a lot of alcohol... just... greatness. (both characters are of age and it's extremely consensual.)

• Riven (Riven, #1)
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Introducing Mr. Winterbourne
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time (Calluvia's Royalty, #3)
  • Auctioned (8392, #1)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Band Sinister
  • Invitation to the Blues (Small Change, #2)
  • Unfit to Print
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.

Spires Universe (4 books)
  • Glitterland (Spires, #1)
  • Waiting for the Flood (Spires, #2)
  • For Real (Spires, #3)