Start by marking “Black Science, Vol. 5: True Atonement” as Want to Read:
Black Science, Vol. 5: True Atonement

Black Science, Vol. 5: True Atonement

(Black Science #5)

Grant McKay attempts to rescue his team from the evil of the Withering Woods, but his presence threatens to unravel a peace treaty between the world's gods and cost his daughter a hard earned happiness. The Dimensionauts’ long jaunt through alternative realities is finally leading them back home, but what will it take to get there? More importantly, what has happened while ...more
Published December 7th 2016 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Black Science, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Science, Vol. 5

Start your review of Black Science, Vol. 5: True Atonement
Paul E. Morph
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm still having a ball reading Black Science. I know a few people who gave it a shot but found it wasn't to their tastes and I can totally understand that but, for me, the book is just going from strength to strength.

I love the artwork and the story reminds me so much of the pulp science fiction I hoovered up as a kid that I can't help but love it. In this volume, the ever morally dubious protagonist has resolved to finally atone for all the shit he feels he's responsible for no matter what the
James DeSantis
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well this volume was FAR more fun than the last one. This jumped up in quality for me.

The first half is Grant trying to right his wrongs. He goes to rescue Pia, and upon arriving ruins things, but in the end actually begins to fix things with his relationship with his daughter. It's nice to see progress there, and I loved learning about the world she was one, I did feel a bit of a cop out how quick was wrapped up but I was laughing so much during this arc.

Second arc isn't as strong but still s
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This story seems to have devolved into "Grant McKay wangsting about how stupid and awful he is for destroying various people's lives - so that TOTALLY makes him OK and relatable." BARF.

Why did he have to barge in and ruin Pia's life?

Why did Pia feel obligated to leave the man she loved to follow her doofus father - who doesn't even really apologize for the years of neglect he's served her?

Why did Grant send them back to Earth just to be captured? He may not have 8million IQ anymore
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, comics, image
Well, this is more like it! I didn't enjoy the last volume as much and although I have still been picking up single issues of this series I stalled out on it. With issue 34 dropping today (Its supposed to be a gooder) I decided it was time to play catch up.

After Grant's 'discovery' of himself last volume he is now setting out to right his wrongs and try and get his family back.

Only...well...he kind of fucks it all up (like he usually does), destroys a peace treaty of warring tribes that have bee
Chad
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grant sets out to save Pia and continues to eff up her life. He eventually makes a great sacrifice for her. Then they head back to our reality where things get worse...

The Good: I like how Pia has grown up in Grant's absence. We get to see how capable she is.

The Bad: Shit gets really dark and depressing in this volume. I don't like how things have turned in the latter half of the story.

The Ugly: It feels like the stuff Remender set up in volume 4 with the realities collapsing has just been forgo
Seba
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-rev
This was great!

Can't wait for vol. 6 to come.

FRTC
RG
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Going from strength to strength. Grant goes on a mission to right his wrongs. Sacrifices, heartbreak and pure action with this great scifi noir series. Always ends on the best cliffhanger
Wing Kee
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow that's an interesting turn.

World: The art is fantastic once again. It's one of the best things about the series and it still continues to shine. The world building took a strange turn this time around into the fantastic and it was a but jarring but still worked. The new pieces were interesting and the art once again was amazing to support the creative world building.

Story: The new status quo is interesting and entertaining. I like the dynamic with the characters we see and how time has cha
Kaitlin
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best installment yet! I loved the witch plot and Pia princess of the planet!

Now they're back in their own dimension and who knows what will happen?!
Juanita
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Volume 5 is moving the story in an unexpected direction. It was definitely not as good vol 3 and 4. Hopefully future volumes will be has good a volume 4.
Renee
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
I guess I may be getting a little bored with the story, but the artwork and characters are still really fun and worth your attention.
Jennifer Juffer
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tom Ewing
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Black Science as a series has two main potential draws. There's the tortured life of arrogant fuck-up Grant McKay as he tries to become a better person and father, and there's the pulp-inspired worlds he travels through, energetically and often gorgeously realised by Matteo Scalera. 25 issues in, it's the latter that keep me picking this series up, and I'm happy to see this volume cut down on the internal monologues. Not that McKay gets to catch a break (he is, after all, a Rick Remender protago ...more
Daniel
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to blow me away. Early in this volume, I realized that, despite being somewhat of a genius, Grant McKay is really kind of a doofus and I couldn't help but read his character in the voice of WIll Ferrell from Old School. At least his heart is in the right place.
Ed Yoo
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story, with great artwork. Indie comics continue to give readers the space to deal with new innovative stories that aren't burdened with backstory and lore.
Rumi Bossche
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Black Science continues to rock. With art and colors out of this world ( seriously one of the best looking books on the shelfs) and a story that is sometimes not so linear, but still a great time travel story about a family who has been through alot and tries to stick together .
Marcel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
ok, this is the last one I am reading of this series... it has clearly reached rock bottom...

Here my review of the entire series in case you are interested:
when reading this for the first time, I could not get into it. In fact, I thought it was maybe one of the worst comics I have read (note: I have read - not in regards to all comics out there :).
Having read it again, and then the subsequent volumes I have to revise my opinion a bit:

I must admit: the art of the first one or two volumes is great
Ryan
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imogene
I rather liked this one. It's a change from the usual storyline and pacing. It was all getting a bit same-y, but now I'm excited
Kevin Smythe
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Feels like the story is really hitting its stride now. Fast-paced action and excellent character development. I appreciate the reduced focus to just a few characters now; in some prior volumes there was so much going on, it was hard to follow.

Beautiful art, as always.

4 issue trades usually lose a star for me, but not this one.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
As always, beautiful coloring and fantastical creatures and species. Plot was aight. Not my favorite volume but it wasn't bad.
Scott Lee
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After the opening volumes broke from (for my money) about the middle of volume two through the middle of volume four we finally seemed to get a specific version of the McKay family and other original protagonists (those who weren't dead by that time) back and begin to follow them again. This volume keeps that streamlined story focus and runs us through the continuing story of Grant as he chases his kids (who he'd located at the end of volume four) and the obstacles he encounters along the way. T ...more
Baba
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
The first half of this volume seesn Grant, fully energised with a Pillar ship seek out the rest of his crew, and when he finds one of them, what he does. The second half is though where the book comes to life as the story takes a totally unforseen (by me) turn that sees Grant up against and losing something integral to who he is.
The art continues to becoming more readable and Remender's characterisations and storytelling are also improving - either that, or I am finally getting this jam.
This w
Dakota Morgan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Less of a mindbender than the previous volume, this one tells 1.5 solid stories. One is adventure-of-the-week Black Science, but highly enjoyable. The .5 is a return to the main storyline of the series that leaves the reader high and dry, conclusion-wise. Still, the twists are spicy and frequent and I can honestly say I don't know what's going to happen next. Plus, artwork is as ever A+++. I think I've figured it out - the perfect mix between Sean Murphy in Joe the Barbarian and Nick Dragotta in ...more
Adam Spanos
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
This volume of Black Science is another excellent addition to the series that continues with its top-notch approach to storytelling and character development. The art is as solid as it has been before, which makes both naturalistic and surreal places seem believable. As with the other volumes, this one goes to some dark places, and the stage seems to be set for both personal and dimension-wide catastrophe.
Abigail Pankau
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In this volume of mad science, dimension-hopping adventures, we see our protagonist both dealing with the fallout of his history of being selfish and untrustworthy, and also having to show how much he's willing to give up in order to put his family back together. Unfortunately, there are others wanting the dimension-hopping technology for their own nefarious schemes.

Still a very enjoyable series.
Shane
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read Black Science, but damn am I glad I got back to it. The art, the combination of sci-fi and fantasy, add in tortured flawed characters and you had me at "device that allows you to travel to an unlimited number of realities/dimensions." Also, the fact that the main character looks like he's right out of Venture Brothers definitely adds to the whole thing.

Good stuff.
M.i.
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. The fantastical aspect of the first half, including the fairy tale type story that led to Grant redeeming himself in the eyes of his daughter was well done. The follow up, including Mckay's unenviable life at the moment definitely leaves a lot to look forward to in subsequent editions.
Micah Ulibarri
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the emotional payoff the entire series has lead up to this far. The characters are so strong and the story is so full of authentic feeling. True Atonement makes the parts of the beginning of the series that required a little pushing through to be more than worthwhile. And lowkey the art feels a little more focused and unfrenetic which used to bother me. Top notch.
Maggie
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vast improvement from the last volume... we actually get to see how Grant's narcissism has impacted his children's lives, and what ripples that causes in other worlds. Still a little bit of heroic white dude saves the world troping going on, even though he's the one who screwed it up to begin with... I'm hoping it's not so pat as that by the end, though.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ascender Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • East of West, Vol. 5: All These Secrets
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • East of West, Vol. 3: There Is No Us
  • Descender, Vol. 4: Orbital Mechanics
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 4
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One
  • Batman: Universe
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Black Science (9 books)