Start by marking “Mexico” as Want to Read:
Mexico

Mexico

(Lonely Planet Country Guide)

Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher

Lonely Planet Mexico is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Explore the ancient Maya world, go horse-riding through fragrant pine forest, and experience Mexico City's hopping cultural scene; all with your trusted travel companion. Get
ebook
Published August 1st 2016 by Lonely Planet (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mexico

Ash
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview; however, I wish it delved more into smaller destinations (i.e. La Paz), especially for the outdoorsy tourist who likes to eat and drink (ME).
Gayle Walsh
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great guide to Mexico from North to South.

I would have like to seen more hotel and restaurant suggestions. Great overall guide that I bookmarked over and over.
Ana
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suelo utilizar las guías de Lonely Planet durante mis viajes no obstante ésta me ha decepcionado. Mi opinión se basa en la parte dedicada a la península de Yucatán, que ha sido la que he utilizado y podido contrastar personalmente.
Falta información precisa sobre los lugares menos típicos o desconocidos de la zona, cosa que en otras Lonely Planet se incide con mucho más detalle. Las descripciones son muy breves y en algunas ciudades falta mencionar algunos monumentos/lugares de interés. Lógicame
Sepideh
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
Well honestly I am very disappointed with this lonely planet! Mostly it contains just lists of where to sleep, or eat or drink. Hardly there is any historical information about cities or cultural descriptions. I have been always very happy with lonely planet books, but definitely not with this one! It is a pity that such a beautiful country is so poorly described in one the most famous travel guides!
Maria
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty informative and was what turned us on to the state of Michoacan in general and to Moralia in particular, for which I will always be grateful. There were some great food recommendations like La Inmaculada and Churros Rellenos. Hotel info was so-so, some of the places were definitely not as advertised especially when it came to connectivity. Also there were a few epicly bad sets of directions (the path to the waterfall ended at what looked like a place for dumping bodies and a ...more
Jackie
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Lonely Planet provides great recommendations making travel a virtual no brainer. I was able to easily find clean hotels to stay in in Oaxaca city and Puerto Escondido, as well as websites to make reservations for bus trip from Mexico City to Oaxaca city and a combi ride from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido. The descriptions clearly described what I could expect when traveling. Yeah for Lonely Planet making budget travel so easy!!
Pubudu Wariyapola
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The guide is okay (used it to explore Mexico City, Tiotihuacan, Puebla, Oaxaca City, Monte Alban, Tiotitlan del Valle, and Benito Juarez). Good for the city and attractions. Not very useful for hotel/lodging information (online resources are more useful for that). Would recommend reading to plan your itinerary but do additional research on transportation and lodging.
Juan
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty informative in the places it covers but too biassed and too many places missing.
I don't think LP guides should include information on hotels and restaurants anymore, at least not for major cities and big towns where there are a lot of options and often those recommend by LP aren't the best.
Elizabeth
Exactly what you expect from a Lonely Planet, which is great, but Mexico is such a big country that unfortunately a lot is left out. I am surprised that LP doesn't have more regional guides for Mexico. If they had had one for Central or Western Mexico that included Guadalajara, that would be ideal.
Yesica
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
LP's books are generally my go-to travel guides. This one on Mexico was good, but not great for info on the state of Oaxaca. If your looking for a region specific book you are better off going with a "Moon Handbook."
Marta
Jun 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty bland, ugh.
Reed
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never leave home without the Lonely Planet!!
Tony
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems pretty comprehensive. The section on Baja and Los Cabos gave me several good ideas.
Kyle
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the BEST travel book of all time, but the maps and hotel listings were used heavily during our trip across Mexico. Definitely helpful.
Kristine
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Super helpful when travelling to the Yucatan and Quintana Roo.
Monica Maniatakos

I took this on as trip with me and it had many useful tips. I learned a lot along the way.
Pru Shady
I found this book very helpful and full of some advice.
Penny
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I"m reading this throughout the semester either:
1) in the bathtub;
or
2) while wearing my new swimsuit.

And it's keeping me sane.
Sheila
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Excellent, thorough guide. Lonely Planet always covers travel that is more reasonable and less "touristy," which I love!
Mark
Marilyn Hartl
May 25, 2010
Guadalupe Rosalyn
Feb 26, 2017
  • India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Thailand
  • Italy (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Berlin (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • China (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • O Caminho Imperfeito
  • Peru
  • Nepal
  • Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • The Mexico Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • Cambodia
  • Children of the New World
  • The Road Less Travelled: 1,000 Amazing Places off the Tourist Trail
  • Unpacked: Travel Disaster Stories by Tony Wheeler and Other Lonely Planet Authors
  • Tetralogía El Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados (pack)
  • Take Me With You
  • France (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Eichmann and the Holocaust
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th

Lonely Planet Country Guide (1 - 10 of 242 books)
  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Argentina (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Argentina y Uruguay
  • Lonely Planet Australia
  • Austria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Bangladesh
  • Bangladesh (Lonely Planet Guide)