Start by marking “Things That Shine” as Want to Read:
Things That Shine

Things That Shine

(Brew Ha Ha #5)

Brew Ha Ha barista, Emily Tavest, hasn’t had it easy. But that doesn’t stop her from believing the best about everything—except guys. Guys should just stay over there… in that corner …away from her relationship-free zone. Everything will be fine if Love does not come to town.

Guitar tech, Sage McNabb, has spent the last year on the road with Double Blind Study. Now,
Published October 6th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Things That Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things That Shine

Start your review of Things That Shine
Becca
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to formulate coherent thoughts regarding Things That Shine since I stayed up way to late to read through it. But when you get the chance to read a story pre-release and review it you stay up late. I seriously had flutters of excitement just holding the book in my hand. When else are you going to get a spin off of two amazing series?!

At first I thought "hmmmm" Emily is cool, and then there's Sage...."floppy hair and gorgeous hands". The story begins at the Brew. And well Abby. She is
Bria Quinlan
Oct 04, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm thrilled to share a bit more than normal so both Heidi's readers & mine get a liiiiiiiittttle peek into Emily & Sage. If you missed it, in the Brew Crew I read (yes, on facebook live!) where we meet Emily in a scene from the next Brew Book that isn't out yet. Um, time warp!

So, without further ado, THINGS THAT SHINE, Chapters 1 & 2.

ONE - Emily

Over the last three hours, it had become disgustingly clear not only why this job was available, but also why it paid so well.
And when I
Jo
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The day I heard that two of my favourite authors were collaborating on a story together was a good day. A very good day. But then I fretted. Would the characters be as strong, or would the mash up dilute them somehow?

Let me start by saying that there is a lot to love about this book. From the cover, to the new characters and some familiar faces, in a lot of ways this book is like coming home. The established characters are like family. Abby with her sarcasm; Zelda with her fandoms and don't get
Laurajoyl
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book...wow! What an amazing story. I fell in love with Sage and Emily, they are such charming characters. I especially loved that they each had a passion and dream for their lives and worked hard to make that happen and found something unexpected along the way. I loved being back and the Brew and seeing Abby in all her "Abbiness". I LOVED having DBS back and I think I fell in love with Zelda all over again. Plus, Doctor Who references, could it get any better?? Heidi and Bria PLEASE write ...more
Vonnielynn
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book and man am I glad. I've been waiting to read this one for what feels like an eternity and it was totally worth it. Emily and Sage was adorable! I laughed out loud during parts, felt like crying during others and basically could not read this fast enough. Please please please write another mash up again soon!
Desirae (Dee)
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*arc provided by the author for an honest and unbiased review*

I've read all Heidi's work. so when she had a new release and it was co-written with another author I hadn't heard of, I was nervous. I mean these are my DBS boys and Heidi, I was nervous it wasn't going to be the same. I mean hello, DBS. I know, no further explanation needed. and Heidi has always been one of those authors I can sit down, pick up her book and just disappear for awhile, or you know, until the book is finished. she has
Jessie
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute, but Real

I normally like my romances fluffy. Things that shine had substance. Characters who felt real, and had real problems. Emily has been through the foster care system, and never had anyone that she can rely on. Sage works for his favorite band as a guitar tech and sound guy. When he meets Emily at The Brew coffee shop, he is smitten. She has a lot of walls that he'll need to break down before she would consider dating him.
This book had great characters, funny/embarrassing situations,
Brenda Beasley Ellis
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Things That Shine is perfect to cuddle up to on a cool autumn day and snuggle with!! Such a delightful Double Blind Study/Brew Ha Ha smashup. I love DBS and really appreciated the reappearance of Zelda (one of my fave heroines) and her own special brand of nerdy fan girl. OMG! puppies!!!! Laughed so hard I nearly cried!
Sadie
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heidi & Bria are like Chocolate and Peanut Butter - the best of both worlds coming together for good-loving humor.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amber Andrews
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! I haven't read a DBS or Brew Ha Ha book of either series, but this stand-alone crossover made me want to read both! Great read with beautifully thought out characters.
Anima
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two wonderful series connected by the Brew Ha Ha and Abby's sassy come backs. Not having read the DBS series I thought maybe I'd be confused, but it was smooth reading. As soon big fan of the Brew Ha Ha series I truly enjoyed Abby and some repeat characters. Sage is a true romantic and Emily knows nothing of love. Together they learn, grow, fail and start all over just like any normal relationship. This was a great read for young adults at any age.
Regina
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story with lovely and likeable characters, beautifully written.

Except for the - from my point of view - somewhat out-of-the-blue drama. While I understand that it's necessary for the story - and it made for some spectacular drama, too - for me, it felt like it was out of character. Looking at other reviews, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Aside from that, it meshed beautifully with the other Brew Ha Ha books, and makes me want to read more books by Heidi Hutchinson -
Kristen Koster
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where worlds collide

I've loved every book Bria Quinlan has written. I swear they just keep getting better. Now I have a new author and series to track down and catch up on! The Double Blind Study family is just as close and supportive as the one at the Brew and I can't wait to get to know them better! Also loved the #OfficerMAX cameo ;)
Melissa Salinas
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I really enjoy the chapters changing character. It give you the ability to see things from each perspective. It was a wonderful fall in love story with heartbreak too. And I love the ending, I really like books that give you an after story like a year later. I always want to know what happened to characters.
Jamie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adored the colliding of these two worlds! It was such a treat! The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars is that the conflict did not feel quite right. The “moment” (no spoilers so I’ll keep it vague) seemed like it was kinda just thrown in there because it had to be, but it didn’t really flow with the character development.
Asma
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

This was really a great mix of funny and sweet! And I enjoyed every second reading it!
I'm a long run fan of Heidi Hutchinson and I happen to meet another author to be a fan of!

The only thing that annoyed me a tiny little bit, is that Sage's chapters were by "HEs" and Emily's were by "Is"!!
The vague difference with the narration annoyed me a bit!
Gari
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Bria's stories!

They're heartwarming. I haven't read anything else from Heidi, but she's definitely on my list. This is a clean romance; it's sweet. The characters have real flaws and real heart. I can't wait to read Abby's story. She's shown growth and deserves love.
Lydia
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Bria's humor mixed with a sweet romance. The connection between Sage and Emily is perfect match on many levels.
TJ
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I missed out on quite a bit because I hadn't read the Double Blind Study series. But this story was still sweet and fun.
Sami
Oct 15, 2016
collette mckee
Oct 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Hope That Starts (Double Blind Study, #5)
  • Learn to Fly
  • Brand New Sky (Double Blind Study, #6)
  • Deepest Blues (Double Blind Study, #4)
  • In Your Honor
  • Tectonic (Double Blind Study #3)
  • Into The Night We Shine (Double Blind Study #7)
  • Like the Back of My Halo
  • Only Forever with a Billionaire (Only Us Billionaire Romance Series Book 3)
  • Rough Edges: Allie's Story (Second Chances #1)
  • The Playboy Patriot (A Georgia Patriot Romance)
  • Neanderthal Seeks (Extra) Yarns (Knitting in the City, #4.5, 6.5)
  • My Perfect Ex-Boyfriend (Perfect Guy #1)
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • My Not So Wicked Boss (My Not So Wicked Series Book 3)
  • Never Let Me Forget (Summer of First Kisses #2)
  • Just One Kiss
  • The Last Dance
Bria Quinlan is an award-nominated bestselling author of eight Romantic Comedies and YA Issue Books (that she swears are funny...really. They are.) Her books make you snort Diet Coke out your nose or tear up and curse her name.

Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/ybgdq33r
Kobo: https://tinyurl.com/krvpqjr
BN: https://tinyurl.com/ydf9det6
iBooks: https://tinyurl.com/jrblzqr

Facebook:

Brew Ha Ha (5 books)
  • The Last Single Girl (Brew Ha Ha, #1)
  • Worth the Fall (Brew Ha Ha #2)
  • The Catching Kind (Brew Ha Ha #3)
  • The Proposing Kind (Brew Ha Ha #4)