Start by marking “Girl Made of Stars” as Want to Read:
Girl Made of Stars

Girl Made of Stars

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  7,189 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews
"I need Owen to explain this. Because yes, I do know that Owen would never do that, but I also know Hannah would never lie about something like that."

Mara and Owen are about as close as twins can get. So when Mara's friend Hannah accuses Owen of rape, Mara doesn't know what to think. Can the brother she loves really be guilty of such a violent crime? Torn betwe
Published May 15th 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Girl Made of Stars, please sign up.
Annie Yes she is bi but Charlie identifies as neither girl nor boy and says at one point that she thinks of herself als „they“ but the main character…moreYes she is bi but Charlie identifies as neither girl nor boy and says at one point that she thinks of herself als „they“ but the main character continues to talk about her as „she“ she didn’t say she hated it (less)

·  7,189 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews

Start your review of Girl Made of Stars
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I feel like I need a pocket of space to curl up in just to wait out the pain of reading this book.

Girl Made of Stars is the kind of story that pinches and bites—unflinching and powerful. The kind of story that slits you open with the truth and leaves your heart bitter, afraid of everything, and angry at everyone, and so awful at holding all of it within your own skin that the tidal wave of your emotions threatens to drag you out to sea and drown you. The kind of story that leaves you in a tranc/>Girl
Elise (TheBookishActress)
A month after I finished this book, on Valentine's day, a boy in my biology class who had been harassing me non-sexually for months told me he wanted to have sex with me. Today, an anonymous article was published by my school in which this was mentioned and discussed, under a pseudonym, and in which the experiences of a close friend were also shared - hers were far worse. And in a lot of ways I think I got off lucky, but seeing that article today felt like a punch in the gut or maybe like flying ...more
Emily May
I can’t think about Owen. I can’t attach his name to Hannah on a hospital bed, bandages on her wrist, tears on her lovely face.

4 1/2 stars. I cried.

Girl Made of Stars is about a situation that for the vast majority of us is not only horrifying, but unimaginable. For other feminists like me, our default is to offer compassion to rape survivors. To offer b
Emma Giordano
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars. WOW. I cannot believe how much this book touched me. I was expecting to love it but I don’t think I could have possibly anticipated the depth and intensity of this story. Heart-breaking and gut-wrenching – an absolute must read.

CW: rape/sexual assault
Melanie
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: may ➹

“Even girls made of stars are captives, bound at the wrists and traded like property. Even girls made of stars aren't asked, aren't believed, aren't considered worth the effort unless they can offer something in return. Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.”

Friends, I wish I could put this book into everyone in the entire world’s hands. This book is so powerful, so heartbreaking, so important, and just so beautifully crafted. But before I really even start this review, I want to prefa
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
flawlessly heart wrenching
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What else is there to do? What else is there for any girl to do, when everyone but her can forget everything like a random bad dream?

After breaking up with her girlfriend/best friend, Mara's greatest comfort comes from her twin brother, Owen - until her best friend accuses him of rape, and Mara's entire world is thrown into a whirlwind of confusion, heartbreak, and traumatic memories of her own.

Let me say, first of all, that this book is one of the most genuinely important things I have ever re
Lola
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story stirred my heart.

I absolutely needed to read it when I learned it was about a girl whose twin brother is accused of sexually assaulting his girlfriend at a party. It sounds like such an impossible situation. Who do you believe? Your brother, who you’ve known since before you were born, or his girlfriend, who is also your friend?

The reason why this story moved me so much is because it was very realistic and Ashley Herring Blake has a beautiful lyrical writing style that ca
may ➹
Me, thinking about this book at any moment in my life:

Even girls made of stars are captives, bound at the wrists and traded like property. Even girls made of stars aren’t asked, aren’t believed, aren’t considered worth the effort unless they can offer something in return.

Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.

This book destroyed me. This book destroyed me and it destroyed the chances of all other books thisclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
4.5 Poignant, Emotional & Thought-Provoking Stars for Girl Made of Stars!

This book was beautifully written. Rape, abuse, and sexuality are not easy topics. Blake did an amazing job of telling this all too important story. It was told with hope, love and healing. It doesn't sugar coat life after abuse. Yet, it was powerful in its message that victims are worth the telling. That despite a culture that often places blame on the victim they are worth believing. That there are people who will listen. That th
jessica
i had a difficult time rating this. if there was ever an argument for half star ratings, it would be this book. i found my mind saying 4 stars while my heart was saying 3. and heres why.

on the positive side of things, the writing was beyond beautiful. and i really liked the title, even more so once i read how it plays into the story. i am sucker for books where the main characters are boy-girl twins. i really wish i had a boy twin, myself. and so learning about how mara was ‘a girl made of star
emma
I don’t really know how to review this, or even rate it. I just know that everyone in the world should probably read this book.

My memory of it is not fresh (read it five months ago; shoutout to my renowned timely reviews), and even when it was I was rendered pretty speechless. Basically what I’m saying is that there are so many thoughtful reviews of this and mine will very much pale in comparison.

So what it comes down to is: you should read Elise’s review, or Melanie’s, and then if you want to watch
Larry H
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, emotional, and thought-provoking, Ashley Herring Blake's Girl Made of Stars is a beautifully written, poignant book about the bonds of family and friendship, gender and sexual identity, the emotional traumas faced by victims of sexual abuse and assault (not to mention the "blame the victim" mentality which is all too prevalent), and the confusion and anxiety which often accompanies love.

This was utterly phenomenal.

"Once upon a time...a brother and sister lived with the stars.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
Wow. This book made me so very anxious but it was SUCH an important read and I was crying buckets of tears at the end. And then the author’s note 😭😭

Tw: rape, victim shaming, pedophilia
Elena
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was not the Pain i was looking forward to

br with sana
shady boots | #WatchPOSE

Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.

TW: Sexual assault and rape. Readers should especially take caution with Chapter Eighteen, especially those of you who have had your own experiences, because it was very difficult to read.

I can't remember the last
Kayla Dawn
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad this book exists, this topic is so important.

Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
✪✪✪✪✪
After reading this book I have become a girl made of pain.
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Find this review and more content in my blog, Ink Is My Sword
Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.”

description All images were found on Pinterest, I do not own any of them.

⚠ rape, sexual assault, panic attacks
💬
When everyone I know gives a book 5 sSword
pain.
✪✪✪✪✪
After
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel wrung out emotionally after reading this. This was my first Ashley Herring Blake novel, and I’m going to pick up her other books as soon as I can. Her writing was beautiful and strong. She handled such a devastating topic really well, and in a way that was realistic, brutal, and yet hopeful.
alana ♡
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the reason why I will never stop reading YA books. This book made me feel like I was drowning and given one second to come up for air before being shoved back under the water. It was so raw and intense that at times I had a lump in my throat from trying not to cry and scream for Hannah and Mara. To put it simply this book hurts but it is so very important .

Initially, I was very hesitant to pick this up because let's be real, this is not any easy topic t
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, anxiety
tw: sexual assault

This was so powerful, I wish it was a little longer though.
Sana
I am dead inside.

Buddy read with my Maggie.
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Library Young Adult ebook...
excellent discussion pick!

“Sweetie, this will blow over. It’s a misunderstanding. You know your brother”.
“You keep saying that”.
“Saying what?”.
“That it’s a misunderstanding. That I know Owen. But...Mom, I know Hannah, too”.

“What do we do?” What’s going to happen to Owen? And Hannah... we can’t just not listen to her. You’ve always said that we have to listen to girls no matter—“
“He’s ours, Mara, Mom says, a kind of quie
Sophie Elaina
This book is truly fantastic! Its such an important, relevant and heart-breaking read, and the author wrote it in both a beautiful and shockingly real way. It's seriously one of the best books I’ve ever read! I'm going to try my hardest to do it justice in this review, but honestly I don't know if that's even possible because there aren't enough words that exist to describe my feelings towards it.

The book follows Mara; one half of Mara and Owen, inseparable twins that have always bee
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars

One or two tears may have slipped down my cheek.

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to love a book this much & maybe I’ll even cry tears that aren’t of disappointment for once?

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Natasha
Review also on my blog

Twitter

Bookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read How to Make a Wish a few months ago and absolutely loved it and I was excited to see the author was coming out with more. Like her previous book, Girl Made of Stars deals with a heavy issue, that being rape. And unlike previous books that deal with rape or sexual/>I
Romie
“But if I’m made of stars, then where am I? Where’s the real me?”

This book broke me. It physically hurt to read it. It was so painful I cried most of the time. But it was worthy every single tear. So worth it.

This is a story that needed to be told, needed to be heard, needed to be read. This is the story of Mara, and how she discovered that her twin brother, her favourite person on this earth, the person she considers her other half, raped one of her best friends, Hannah. This i
Amitaf0208
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 bright stars for the Girl Made of Stars. What a thought-provoking book. It dealt with a difficult subject in a way that did not alienate the reader. Loved all the characters especially Mara. Good read.
Stacee
This story was amazing. It was heartbreaking and hard to read and so damn amazing.

I love love loved Mara. I love her strength, especially when she thinks she doesn’t have any. I love her loyalty and her stubbornness and her empathy and her everything. She’s a fantastic MC.

Plot wise it was more than just a story about rape. It was a story about surviving, enduring, and sometimes just dealing. It is a hard look at consent and victim blaming and it is so so so important.

This review doesn’t even
kazually ♡
this was so beautifully written and the cover is so beautiful and everything about this book is just beautiful. i kinda didn't like how Mara kept comparing her similar situation to Hannah's current one, when hers happened three years ago and she never told anyone. she kept talking about her own issues and it got a little annoying. i felt like she should've been a better friend to Hannah and more understanding to Owen. this book is so good and i read it so fast, i was surprised when it ended but ...more

• Sadie
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Nowhere Girls
  • The Astonishing Color of After
  • What If It's Us
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
Ashley Herring Blake is a reader, writer, and mom to two boisterous boys. She holds a Master’s degree in teaching and loves coffee, arranging her books by color, and watching Buffy over and over again on Netflix with her friends. She's the author of the young adult novels SUFFER LOVE, HOW TO MAKE A WISH, and GIRL MADE OF STARS, as well as the middle grade novels, IVY ABERDEEN'S LETTER TO THE WORLD ...more
Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.”
61 likes
“Because when they thought the stars were sticking to her, really all the loneliness and sadness were falling off. The stars were underneath.” 22 likes