Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum” as Want to Read:
The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  425 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
One of the most influential forces in the shaping of American education, the famed philosopher and psychologist John Dewey (1859–1952) believed in "viewing the education of the child in the light of the principles of mental activity and processes of growth made know by modern psychology." As the administrator of the University of Chicago's laboratory school — which he esta ...more
Paperback, 128 pages
Published July 18th 2001 by Dover Publications (first published February 1956)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Asmaa
الكتاب فيه أفكار جيدة جدا ولكن التقييم على الترجمة ، بشعة ّ!
Jesi
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018
This was really, really good and I would recommend it to anyone who teaches at any level. Some previous reader of the library copy had written 'YES!' in the margins next to all the best passages, and I very much agree. Also just leaving a note for myself to come back to the chapter about how the different phases of the educational system came into being, because I thought that was a VERY useful way of understanding why the different grade levels, including the university, don't seem to be good a ...more
Cassandra Carico
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I strongly believe in Progressivism and believe that more hands on learning needs to be incorporated into the modern classroom. John Dewey's ideas are very sound and should be explored in depth once again.
Andie
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant! a must-read for any teacher
Tysseer Harak
كتاب جيد وأفكار مستنيرة ومتميزة, وفي نفس الوقت ترجمة ضحلة وتنم عن جهل لغوي وفقر فكري للمترجم (ألأذي يفترض فيه التخصص)
الكاتب (جون ديوي) صاحب البصمة الواضحة في تطوير التعليم , يناقش فكرة مهمة جدا وهي أن التعلم لا يجب أبدا أن يكون شيء معزول ومنفصل عن الحياة, وأن من الأسباب الرئيسية لمشاكل المدرسة وعدم محبة الطلبة لها هو إحساسهم أنهم يلعبون دورا مرسوما وغير واقعي ومفروض عليهم قسرا دون أن يدركوا الفائدة منه لأنهم لا يطبقون ما يتعلمونه في حياتهم اليومية, فصحيح أن التعليم يهدف ل"بناء المستقبل" إلا أنه
...more
Kathrina
Who, since Dewey, has thought about the foundations of American schooling as deeply? What is the purpose of school? To learn how to pass a test, or to learn how to interact in a socially and culturally dynamic world? One hundred years old, and still relevant.
Ilana Waters
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although written at the turn of the century, there are a lot of great (and practical) ideas about education in here. Anticipate that some of it will be ���dated,��� but also that you���ll wonder why the insights here are not employed more often in modern teaching and administration.
Robert
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, philosophy, mst
I read this, I believe, for my philosophy of education class during my first graduate program. Dewey is the kingpin of the education system.
الشناوي محمد اسماعيل  جبر
كتاب قديم (1915) للمفكر والفيلسوف التربوي المعروف جون ديوي يتحدث فيه عن دور المدرسة في المجتمع، فالمدرسة لها دورها في التقدم الاجتماعي، ولها دورها في تطوير حياة الطفل إذا أديرت العملية التربوية وخطط لها بطريقة صحيحة تعتمد علي الجانب العملي النفعي الذي يكسب الطفل المهارات العملية التي تفيده في حياته العملية.
الفيلسوف التربوي جون ديوي مشهور جدا بفلسفته البراجماتية النفعية التي تقوم عليها النظم التربوية الأمريكية التي طرحت الفلسفات النظرية جانبا و ركزت اهتمامها بالفلسفة العملية النفعية وخير من عبر ع
...more
Amanda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am totally counting this one because I read the entire thing in one day for an assignment. It needs to count for my reading challenge. lol...
Chris Nagel
Clearly not Dewey's most insightful book on education, but it served its purpose in my Philosophy and Education class. I gave my students the chapter from Logic of Inquiry that deals with the idea of inquiry itself, arising from necessity and doubt, in order to clarify the connections between doing, knowing, and learning. Dewey is always dissatisfying to me.
Scott
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of only a handful of books I was forced to read in college that actually made sufficient impression on me such that I still remember it today. Truly a landmark in the library of literature examining the philosophical foundations of education in America. No, I'm not kidding!
Gloria
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book consisting of two lectures. The second is much shorter than the first.

Most interesting though was the introduction by Phillip Jackson, which raises the question why is the work of Dewey not used / employed (especially after the Laboratory School)?

Nitecrawler Lopez
Really great book, if the pedagogy of this book is not being exercised then our school curriculum is unfecund. Which might explain why there are so many dropouts in today's school, but I won't blame the the teachers but the system that will not let them practice it.
Jeffrey Albrecht
Dewey's somewhat radical analysis of the role of schools in society and the experience of children entering the school system...
Patrick\
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Ditto to my other review of Dewey.
Yousuf
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
No teacher should go unexposed to the poetic insight of John Dewey!
Jules
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dewey's seminal work. He had it figured out a hundred years ago. Too bad progressive education as a cohesive movement got derailed post World War II. Time to go old-school.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 26, 2007 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: history US education
Progressivism as an educational philosophy & founding of American school system.
Elaine
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
A MUST READ for any teacher and educational theorists. Dewey's theories permeate through every stage and subject in education, and for good reason.
Janet
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to understand most of the time, but some progressive ideas in improving the school system.
Samantha
rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2018
Naveed Akram
rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Doctor VanNostrum
rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Allison Milby
rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Jeremy
rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2008
Becca
rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Dan
rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2007
William J Tolley
rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Motti Pikelny
rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Dialectic of Freedom (John Dewey Series) (John Dewey Lecture)
  • The Process of Education
  • Thought and Language
  • Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction
  • Education for Critical Consciousness (Impacts)
  • A Place Called School
  • The Paideia Proposal: An Educational Manifesto
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
  • Horace's Compromise: The Dilemma of the American High School
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
  • The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and "Tougher Standards"
  • The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work
  • Ideology and Curriculum
  • Death at an Early Age
  • To Teach: The Journey, in Comics
  • Tinkering Toward Utopia: A Century of Public School Reform
  • The Schools We Need: And Why We Don't Have Them
  • What Do I Do Monday?
318 followers
John Dewey was an American philosopher, psychologist and educational reformer whose ideas have been influential in education and social reform. Dewey, along with Charles Sanders Peirce and William James, is recognized as one of the founders of the philosophy of pragmatism and of functional psychology. He was a major representative of the progressive and progressive populist philosophies of schooli ...more
More about John Dewey

Nonfiction Deals

  • A Guide to the Present Moment
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Hunting Eichmann: How a Band of Survivors and a Young Spy Agency Chased Down the World's Most Notorious Nazi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Breaks of the Game
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt
    $12.74 $2.99
  • How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Dry
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Animal Liberation: The Definitive Classic of the Animal Movement
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Measure of a Man
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Recovery: Freedom from Our Addictions
    $13.99 $2.99
  • 100 Days of Real Food: How We Did It, What We Learned, and 100 Easy, Wholesome Recipes Your Family Will Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Let. It. Go.: How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival
    $8.49 $1.99
  • The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Crown of Blood: The Deadly Inheritance of Lady Jane Grey
    $17.48 $1.99
  • The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Noticer Returns: Sometimes You Find Perspective, and Sometimes Perspective Finds You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Scar Tissue
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Running with Scissors
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics
    $9.99 $2.99
  • 1968: The Year That Rocked the World
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Notes on a Banana: A Memoir of Food, Love and Manic Depression
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Unfinished Business: Women Men Work Family
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Vegetable Butcher: How to Select, Prep, Slice, Dice, and Masterfully Cook Vegetables from Artichokes to Zucchini
    $22.95 $1.99
  • Facing Your Giants: The God Who Made a Miracle Out of David Stands Ready to Make One Out of You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fat Girl Walking: Sex, Food, Love, and Being Comfortable in Your Skin...Every Inch of It
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Egg and I
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Secrets of Happy Families: Improve Your Mornings, Rethink Family Dinner, Fight Smarter, Go Out and Play, and Much More
    $12.74 $1.99
  • City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • In the Beginning...Was the Command Line
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Toltec Art of Life and Death
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
  • The Diva Rules: Ditch the Drama, Find Your Strength, and Sparkle Your Way to the Top
    $17.99 $2.99
  • A Brief History of Time
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves
    $9.99 $1.99
  • All My Road Before Me: The Diary of C. S. Lewis, 1922-1927
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
  • What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-smart Executive
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God
    $11.49 $2.99
  • Running with the Kenyans: Passion, Adventure, and the Secrets of the Fastest People on Earth
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pilgrim's Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Johnny Cash: The Life
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Can't Help Myself: Lessons & Confessions from a Modern Advice Columnist
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Factory Man: How One Furniture Maker Battled Offshoring, Stayed Local - and Helped Save an American Town
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99