Start by marking “Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators: More Stories about Real Florida” as Want to Read:
Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators: More Stories about Real Florida

Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators: More Stories about Real Florida

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators provides a welcome opportunity for readers to discover the character--and characters--of "real" Florida. In this compilation, drawn in part from his award-winning columns, Klinkenberg celebrates some of the Sunshine State's most distinctive personalities, including the original Coppertone girl and the actor who played the Creature from th
Published April 6th 2008 by University Press of Florida

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators

Paul Signorelli
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Whether he is writing about a make-them-yourself pancake house, a man who lost an arm to an alligator named Mojo, or his mother shortly after her death, St. Petersburg Times columnist Jeff Klinkenberg goes far beyond the obvious goal of documenting what Florida means to him in his collection "Pilgrim in the Land of Alligators." The writing is consistently engaging, the range of topics fascinating, and the inspiration to seek out more of his work at the St. Petersburg Times website a natural bypr ...more
Amy
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed reading Jeff's articles in the St. Pete Times. I typically try to read Florida related books while on Florida vacations and this justly suited the bill for our trip to Fanning Springs. Reading (and re-reading a few) of the stories one after the other did give me pause. Soem of the stories felt intrusive into someone's very private moments regardless of their permission to have it published.
Abby Altshuler
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000-2015
Love to read some Klinkenberg when visiting Florida, he writes about the odd, different, special people and places that makes this state so crazy and unique. Though so much of Florida has been strip malled, condoized and otherwise wrecked, Jeff helps find the place that once was and can still be found with some searching.
Amanda
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A semi-sequel to his "Seasons of Real Florida", "Pilgrim" sees Jeff Klinkenberg continuing to do what he does best -- tell local color stories about his home state. Klinkenberg focuses a bit more on people and their work in this volume, and ultimately, I found it less satisfying, though still enjoyable.
DeLene Beeland
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a Florida girl with sand in her shoes who now lives in western North Carolina, this book really took me back to a place that felt, smelled, tasted, and looked like home. Klinkenberg is a wonderful storyteller and the essays in this book form a beautifully detailed portrait of Old Florida.
Josh Liller
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: florida
Compilation of non-fiction stories and articles by the author about Florida. Unfortunately, I didn't find most of them very interesting but I think it is a matter of personal taste rather than bad writing.
Terri
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finished this last night and thought it was great! He reminds me a lot of Charles Kurault. If you live in Florida or just visit here, I highly recommend this one! Very character driven stories that were delightful to read.
Becca
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of non-fiction short stories about Florida. As a transplant to this area, I am always delighted to learn more about its various regions. This book gave me some great ideas for day/weekend trips around the state.
Annette
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, travel
I love Klinkenberg's writing. Greatly expands my knowledge and understanding of Florida and all its quirkiness.
Denise
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a native Floridian, I truly enjoy Klinkeberg's stories of real Florida and the interesting people who live here.
Jerry
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it

A great read!
Chris
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Klinkenberg's columns could use more editing, and his endings are often forced. But he's a good storyteller who writes about the people and places that make the state unique.
Mike
Dec 16, 2010 is currently reading it
A nice collection of essays about people and places in Florida.
Linda
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It feels as if you are having dinner with the best Florida cracker story teller...you leave the table full from the food and savoring the stories...delightful
Heather
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: book club
I have no desire to meet any of these people.

So much for Real Florida.
Meredith
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a compilation of short stories, most of them reflecting on the Florida that was, rather than the Florida that is, and the people who make it the place it is.
Jeff Clark
Jessica
Jun 15, 2012
Robert Vandiver
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful tales of Florida, short stories that embody the various regions of our great state.
Rhonda