Start by marking “Sam the Minuteman” as Want to Read:
Sam the Minuteman

Sam the Minuteman

(I Can Read Books: Level 3)

"Get your gun!" Sam's father said. "The British soldiers are coming this way!" Sam's father was a Minuteman. Sam was ready in a minute.Father and son rushed to the village green. Other Minutemen were already there. Through the long night they waited and waited. Then, at dawn, the soldiers came!

In this exciting I Can Read Book, Nathaniel Benchly recreates what it must have
Published February 20th 1987 by HarperCollins (first published 1969)

Luisa Knight
Here's an exciting action book for your beginning reader! And with a little history to boot!

Reading Level: K - 3rd

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Eduardo
Personal Response:
I did not think this was the greatest book. I wasn't able to connect with the book. I thought it was going to have more action, but there wasn't enough interesting parts for me.

Plot:
In this book, the farmers fought with the British soldiers. The British were afraid America was becoming too strong. They sent soldiers to America. One night, the bells of the church were ringing. Sam looked from the window and he saw a bunch of people running. His dad was preparing his gun to go to
Cheryl
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Imo, not as lively, interesting, or nuanced as the companion, George the Drummer Boy. But if you're a homeschooling family, I guess they really do go together.
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
This is a good book when teaching history...I don't think I would use it for a bedtime story though. Can you imagine? "And that was the beginning of the American Revolution....Good-night little Johnny, good-night little Suzie. What's wrong little Suzie? *little girl is shaking underneath blankets, looks up at you at manages to squeak: Mommy, are the lobster backs coming? Reply: No dear, we kicked the lobster backs out of our country. They won't be coming with their little muskets or bayonets any ...more
SamZ
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: july-4th
A great, beginning reader book that explains about the beginning of the revolutionary war. I especially liked the simple way the story covered injuries, fear, and young boys fighting without being super grisly and descriptive.
Jordan
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Sam the Minuteman," by Nathaniel Benchley is a story about the the beginning of the war that started the American Revolution. I liked this book, but I thought it could have been more exciting. It would be good for kids because it introduces the American Revolution from a childs point of view, but it would be difficult to understand if there was no prior knowledge of the topic.
The illustrations are done by Arnold Lobel, and I think they could have been more creative with it. The pictures are bla
Meagan Alysse
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book for an introduction to the American Revolution. Easy quick read.
Anthony
Sam Brown who lived on a farm in Lexington, Massachusetts finds himself fighting the British along side his father who is a minuteman during the American Revolution.
Charlotte
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked learning about the American Revolution and how America became a country of it's own. I didn't like reading about war and the fighting though.
Melissa
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Sam the Minuteman is a very well written depiction of the “shot heard round’ the world” at Lexington and Concord that began the American Revolution. I really like that this book is written in a way that is easy to read and easy to understand for young readers. I also really like the fact that the main character, Sam, is a young boy that is probably not much older than the reader that would be reading this book themselves. Although I really like the story and way this book is written by Nathaniel ...more
Kristina
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Sam the Minuteman is an “I Can Read” book by Nathaniel Benchley about the Battle of Lexington, the battle which sparked the American Revolution. It is about a young boy named Sam who lives near Boston. He explains that at this time America was not a country of its own, but belonged to England. He begins by briefly explaining his daily life and chores. One night when Paul Revere warned that the British left Boston and are coming his way, Sam is forced to fight in battle by his father. Sam talks a ...more
Julie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
"Sam the Minuteman," by Nathaniel Benchley is a book that tells readers what it would be like to be a little boy growing up at the beginning of the American Revolution. Sam Brown lived with his parents on a farm in Lexington, Massachusetts. The men worked outside while the mother took care of the house. The father was a minuteman so he had to be ready for any type of war. When he heard that the British were coming to get the hidden gunpowder and guns he took Sam out with him. There was no sign o ...more
Patricia
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Elise Edwards
This tells the story about Sam. Sam lives during the time of the American Revolution. This story tells about how Sam steps up and joins his father as a minuteman fighting against the British at the start of the American Revolution. When the church bells ring, Sam's father jumps up to get dressed and requests that Sam joins him. Sam, at first, is scared. He doesn't know what is to come, but his friend John is there as well. The men go to the point where the British are supposed to arrive. They wa ...more
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this "An I Can Read Book" history reader about a boy's experience with the battle of Lexington in the Revolutionary War. It is difficult to find history books that my 2nd grader can read on his own that aren't too wordy. This book was just perfect with just the right kind of vocabulary. We also loved the artwork by Arnold Lobel. They were simple, but very illustrative of the time period and the events happening in the book. Even my 4-year-old pulled it out and looked through the pictures ...more
Ellie
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader, historical, boys
This was an interesting reader... Though directed at a K-2nd grade audience, it was actually about a kid who literally doesn't listen to his mom's wishes for him to stay safe at home and goes out and fights (with a gun) the British during the American Revolution. It's hard to say exactly how old Sam is but I guessed that maybe he was about 10, making him possibly twice as old as the reader. Honestly, I don't think I've ever read a kids book directed at kids this young that has kids literally fig ...more
Books Kids Like
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sam and his family live on a small farm near Lexington, Massachusetts. One night, Paul Revere rides through town to warn the militia that the British have marched out of Boston on their way to Concord where they hope to seize guns and powder. Sam goes with his father to the village green where British soldiers and minutemen exchange fire. Eight men are killed. Sam is the first one out the door when the British return from Concord and helps shoot at them as they march through town. Benchley intro ...more
Kaitlin Burke
Sam the Minuteman by Nathaniel Benchley is a insightful piece of work. This book is about Sam and his Father which are both Patriots that hope to live on American governed soil. The fight for freedom was a lot closer to Sam when Paul Revere rode past their house saying "The British are coming"and Sam joins the minutemen. This book was delightful and historical good for students to learn from or use to introduce the topic in history. The illustrator did a great job with the pictures as well.
Elizabeth Kennedy
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has great appeal for beginning readers, especially boys. My first grader loves it. He has read it several times. The story and drawings intrigued him enough to encourage him to sound his way through some words above his level. It's great to find an early reader that has a meaningful story and that introduces kids to Revolutionary War history. Read it with George the Drummer Boy by the same author (same historical event told from the perspective of a young British boy).
Patty
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading Level: primary

This book is great for young readers. It is a story about the events that occurred immediately prior to the official start of the American Revolution. Students are introduced to historical terms such as minuteman, redcoats and lobster backs. We also hear about Paul Revere.

The illustrations are simplistic and give a sense of the setting being a simpler time -- little innovation and many things being done by hand.
Kimberly Hansen
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a great way to teach kids about how America started to become America. The book has one page of words accompanied by one page of illustrations. This mixture of words and pictures can help the readers visual what was going on in the story. The book does a great job of giving the very basic information needed to know how the revolutionary war started. Very good book.
Kimberlydaniels
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40-books
Genre: Historical Fiction Copyright: 1969

I think this book is great for introducing a begining reader to historical fiction! This is an I Can Read book so the print is large and the words are well spaced. Arnold Loebel does the illustrations which did a great job (for me) keeping the reader engaged!
Chad
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
My son read this book to me. I had read it as a child many years ago and had forgotten how much I really enjoyed this book. It is a great book for beginning readers and especially those that like history. It is a historical fiction book about a boy who joins the Minutemen with his dad and is involved with the "shot heard around the world" that started the Revolutionary War.
Heather
A great book about the beginning of the American Revolution told from the side of a young Minuteman. The illustrations in this book were a little better than George the Drummer Boy.

We enjoyed reading both of them to see the battles from both sides. A solid introduction and well worth reading.

I highly recommend you read this and the George book together.
Anthony Pate
This book, while it is incredibly interesting and properly conveys the themes associated with the American Revolution, might be inappropriate for younger readers. It is, at times, rather violent because it actually depicts a real skirmish, complete with gunfire and wounded soldiers.
Marta-Kate Jackson
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: beginning-reader
Despite laughing out loud when reading "Sam and John played games with a knife in the grass," I do think this is a great beginning reader for boys. It provides a look at the American Revolution from the perspective of a young boy and delicately introduces children to the severity of war.
Takahiro Yamada
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
60minutes
Boy-America-England-soldiers-friend-angry-American Revolution
When you get angry, what would you do?
I listened to music and sleep.

This story is not a happy one, so actually, I did not enjoyed it much...
Sheila
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a nice children's story about the American Revolution, and a young boy's role in it.
Caleb
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it
Elise
Jan 21, 2010 added it
This is a great easy reader, with a compelling story (not just Dora goes to the zoo or some other twaddle). It describes the first battle of the Revolutionary War from the point of view of a child.
  • Wagon Wheels
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War (Step Into Reading)
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • Daniel's Duck
  • A Picture Book of George Washington
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • George Washington and the General's Dog (Step Into Reading)
  • And I Mean It, Stanley
  • Hill of Fire
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Greg's Microscope
Born in Newton, Massachusetts to a literary family, he was the son of Gertrude Darling and Robert Benchley (1889-1945), the noted American writer, humorist, critic, actor, and one of the founders of the Algonquin Round Table in New York City.

Nathaniel Benchley was the highly-respected author of many children's/juvenile books that provided learning for the youthful readers with stories of various a

I Can Read Books: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • It's Christmas!
  • My Parents Think I'm Sleeping
  • Small Wolf
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Weather: Poems for All Seasons
  • Wanted Dead or Alive (Minnie and Moo)
  • Emma's Yucky Brother