Start by marking “Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd” as Want to Read:
Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd

Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd

A powerful tool for entrepreneurs, businesspeople, authors, and anyone who wants to break out big, the POP! process is a fun, fascinating, strategic approach to making messages Purposeful, Original, and Pithy - to generate instant intrigue and word-of-mouth buzz.
Published September 5th 2006 by Perigee Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop!

Start your review of Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
Samill07
POP! Is not your average book, there is not a story involved in it, there is not a main character, there is no dialogue or character development, and honestly it’s probably unlike anything that you have ever read. This is a book that guides you or your business to become successful in selling yourself or your product. Throughout the whole book at the beginning of each section, each one of them begins with a motivational quote or in better terms, a relevant quote, mainly by well known authors and ...more
Amy
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent example of how to turn a workshop into a well-written book! I am not really a "Marketing" person, but I wanted to understand that perspective, and this book does a great job of making the marketing process clear and straightforward. There are suggested exercises to get you thinking about how to implement the concepts, and it is all broken down into easily understood steps.

Sometimes it is a bit too formulaic for me, sometimes edging toward end results that feel a bit cont
Denise Brosseau
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are eager to get your ideas heard and rise above the noise, this is the book for you. Whether you are an entrepreneur with a new product, an executive with a new idea or a community leader working to implement change, Sam Horn will teach you how to gain visibility and attention and enroll others to get on board. She will also engage, inspire and empower you to create one-of-a-kind tag lines, note-worthy product names and highly quotable phrases that will bring you a steady stream of frien ...more
Charmin
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for anyone looking to create or expand their business or service. Be Purposeful-Original-Pithy.

Highlights:
1. coin your own term for the topic.

2. Identify common challenge facing people that need my service.

3. Express core of the common problem.

4. Be funny and philosophical—make people laugh AND think.

5. It is our responsibility to craft messages that capture and keep our target audience’s interest.

6. We communicate because we want to share a message that matters
Jeff Vankooten
Fantastic book with very creative advice on how to develop slogans and other word based marketing. I borrowed my from the library, but you'll want to own your own copy because you will refer to it over and over again.
Cyndie
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Toastmasters
Want to say something in a way that will stick in people's heads? This is the book that will help break up your writer's block and help you find the right way to say it. Creative exercises and interesting ideas fill these pages. Really enjoyed it and check out her other books!
Jacky Minkler
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving it! Perfect for personal branding and elevator pitches, especially if you are a recent grad or new in an industry. Also great if you are planning to start a company or do any type of marketing at all!!
Mark Fallon
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is essential reading for any business owner, salesperson or marketing professional. In addition to great ideas, Horn includes guides on how to implement those ideas to help increase the visibility, and profitability, of your enterprise.
Heather Delia
As a PR professional, I found this book to be full of gimmicks and "tricks" and found the ideas to be very elementary. Nobody wants to be tricked and without substance behind a product or service, no tagline or gimmick is going to do any long-term good.
Dawid Pacha
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Workshop-like-book. Interesting read. POP, the book on how to stand from the crowd with your marketing message is itself a great manifestation of just that.
Meryl Evans
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dani-girl
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
really good book for marketing ideas. Even though it was made in 2008, it's advice is still very relevant.
David O'Neill
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam Horn does a great take on creativity with words. The best part is the common thread of actionable exercises, good for personal, group and teaching practice.
John
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book when you are trying to figure out a name, tagline or title for a book or other product. Lots of great ideas and exercises. Some great branding ideas here...
D
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just for marketing geeks, this book is a quick read with techniques for creating Purposeful, Original, and Pithy pitches, titles, and taglines for anything (as the title says). Now just do it.
Meghan Pinson
A handful of reminders, a half page of notes. If you cut out all the quotes and put these tips in bullet points, you’d have a fine 50-page volume of good advice. As it is, it’s 239 pages of anecdotes and wordplay. Good for a skim.
Marlys Arnold
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Great resource for brainstorming ... will be pulling this one off the shelf often as I create new products & programs. I used many of the ideas to create a list of possible titles for my latest book.
Rachel
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
Simple and brilliant. Simply brilliant! :P
Luis Lastra
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book. Sam gives yo you everything you need to make a great POP pitch. A must read for all those that search for an excelent performance.
Jon Tran
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Pop! is an enjoyable read, but doesn't leave you with much but a gimmicky device to break out when you're out of ideas. Its message to create products and ideas that are Purposeful, Original, and Pithy is a great tool to break out every once in a while, but not reach for right away for every project. Horn draws on an array of past personal experiences helping professionals in all areas incorporate her message into their own presentations, books, pitches, and other messages, yet it's clear the mo ...more
LMS
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some good insights and ideas, mostly just to help you know where to start or what to be thinking about when brainstorming titles. However, Sam Horn sure loves puns. Almost all of her favorite titles were a play-on words, some a little too cheesy even for my taste, but it was fun to read about her enthusiasm for them. :)
Beena
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who are interested in captions and slogans
Helped me learn the tricks of caption-writing.Good for people like me who can never come up with a good catchy caption, no matter how hard I think. Sam Horn makes it all sound too easy. Loves the way she talks.
Cara Ellison
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, work
Not for me - much too gimmicky and slight. I think it is meant for new grads and people just breaking into the industry. For them, it might work quite well as the writing is engaging. Just not enough substance for me.
Alan
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kate
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Contemporary art clearly
Crystal
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Good reminder on elevator pitches. While it's meant for marketing beginners, it's a good place to start. Full of good reminders.
Michelle
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good collection of brainstorming exercises to develop product names, taglines, etc. Maybe a bit formulaic and pun-heavy but I found them useful to work through.
Ty Rice
Pretty good will really make you think about how you structure your messages/arguments. Also you will learn what pithy means :). Its a good book.
Jill
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking book about advertising.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession No: DL027533

• Friend of a Friend . . .: Understanding the Hidden Networks That Can Transform Your Life and Your Career
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • The Thank You Economy
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Content Machine: Use Content Marketing to Build a 7-figure Business With Zero Advertising
  • Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts
  • Together is Better: A Little Book of Inspiration
  • How Will You Measure Your Life?
“When I go to the movies, one of my strongest desires is to be shown something new. I want to go to new places, meet new people, have new experiences. When I see Hollywood formulas mindlessly repeated, a little something dies inside of me: I have lost two hours to boors who insist on telling me stories I have heard before. ROGER EBERT” 0 likes