Start by marking “Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd” as Want to Read:
Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd

Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd

A powerful tool for entrepreneurs, businesspeople, authors, and anyone who wants to break out big, the POP! process is a fun, fascinating, strategic approach to making messages Purposeful, Original, and Pithy - to generate instant intrigue and word-of-mouth buzz.
Published September 5th 2006 by Perigee Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop!

Start your review of Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
Charmin
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for anyone looking to create or expand their business or service. Be Purposeful-Original-Pithy.

Highlights:
1. coin your own term for the topic.

2. Identify common challenges facing people that need my service.

3. Express the core of the common problem.

4. Be funny and philosophical—make people laugh AND think.

5. It is our responsibility to craft messages that capture and keep our target audience’s interest.

6. We communicate because we want to share a message that matters.
David O'Neill
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam Horn does a great take on creativity with words. The best part is the common thread of actionable exercises, good for personal, group and teaching practice.
Samill07
POP! Is not your average book, there is not a story involved in it, there is not a main character, there is no dialogue or character development, and honestly it’s probably unlike anything that you have ever read. This is a book that guides you or your business to become successful in selling yourself or your product. Throughout the whole book at the beginning of each section, each one of them begins with a motivational quote or in better terms, a relevant quote, mainly by well known authors and ...more
Amy
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent example of how to turn a workshop into a well-written book! I am not really a "Marketing" person, but I wanted to understand that perspective, and this book does a great job of making the marketing process clear and straightforward. There are suggested exercises to get you thinking about how to implement the concepts, and it is all broken down into easily understood steps.

Sometimes it is a bit too formulaic for me, sometimes edging toward end results that feel a bit contrived, but t
Denise Brosseau
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are eager to get your ideas heard and rise above the noise, this is the book for you. Whether you are an entrepreneur with a new product, an executive with a new idea or a community leader working to implement change, Sam Horn will teach you how to gain visibility and attention and enroll others to get on board. She will also engage, inspire and empower you to create one-of-a-kind tag lines, note-worthy product names and highly quotable phrases that will bring you a steady stream of frien ...more
Jacky Minkler
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving it! Perfect for personal branding and elevator pitches, especially if you are a recent grad or new in an industry. Also great if you are planning to start a company or do any type of marketing at all!!
Jeff Vankooten
Fantastic book with very creative advice on how to develop slogans and other word based marketing. I borrowed my from the library, but you'll want to own your own copy because you will refer to it over and over again.
Mark Fallon
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is essential reading for any business owner, salesperson or marketing professional. In addition to great ideas, Horn includes guides on how to implement those ideas to help increase the visibility, and profitability, of your enterprise.
Heather Delia
As a PR professional, I found this book to be full of gimmicks and "tricks" and found the ideas to be very elementary. Nobody wants to be tricked and without substance behind a product or service, no tagline or gimmick is going to do any long-term good.
Cyndie Courtney
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Toastmasters
Want to say something in a way that will stick in people's heads? This is the book that will help break up your writer's block and help you find the right way to say it. Creative exercises and interesting ideas fill these pages. Really enjoyed it and check out her other books!
D
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just for marketing geeks, this book is a quick read with techniques for creating Purposeful, Original, and Pithy pitches, titles, and taglines for anything (as the title says). Now just do it.
John
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book when you are trying to figure out a name, tagline or title for a book or other product. Lots of great ideas and exercises. Some great branding ideas here...
Dani-girl
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
really good book for marketing ideas. Even though it was made in 2008, it's advice is still very relevant.
Dawid Pacha
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Workshop-like-book. Interesting read. POP, the book on how to stand from the crowd with your marketing message is itself a great manifestation of just that.
Meghan Pinson
A handful of reminders, a half page of notes. If you cut out all the quotes and put these tips in bullet points, you’d have a fine 50-page volume of good advice. As it is, it’s 239 pages of anecdotes and wordplay. Good for a skim.
Peter Darcy
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous book! It was published in 2006, but this lady, Sam Horn, is a consummate expert in getting her message across. Not only does she teach you techniques for making any message "pop" with interest, but she illustrates it by her own style. I loved it.
Marlys Arnold
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Great resource for brainstorming ... will be pulling this one off the shelf often as I create new products & programs. I used many of the ideas to create a list of possible titles for my latest book. ...more
Luis Lastra
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book. Sam gives yo you everything you need to make a great POP pitch. A must read for all those that search for an excelent performance.
Rachel
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
Simple and brilliant. Simply brilliant! :P
Hege Marie
It's okay. Nothing exceptional or new, but a great collection of tools to start off a brainstorm.
Prejudice Neutrino
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Could have received better advice from a piece of blank paper. Who allowed this rubbish to be published?
Olga Kovalenko
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This was an unusual read for me - a book on marketing. I wanted to read something inspiring that could help me with my calligraphy shop on Etsy and my yoga/psychotherapy services in perspective. In the end, the book turned out to be more of use for writing texts.
Pop! Is about creating catchy names and titles, as well as content, and focusing on the target audience for your product. I liked how the author used standard rhetorical devices for creative play. It was engaging, but mind, it’s been th
Jon Tran
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Pop! is an enjoyable read, but doesn't leave you with much but a gimmicky device to break out when you're out of ideas. Its message to create products and ideas that are Purposeful, Original, and Pithy is a great tool to break out every once in a while, but not reach for right away for every project. Horn draws on an array of past personal experiences helping professionals in all areas incorporate her message into their own presentations, books, pitches, and other messages, yet it's clear the mo ...more
LMS
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some good insights and ideas, mostly just to help you know where to start or what to be thinking about when brainstorming titles. However, Sam Horn sure loves puns. Almost all of her favorite titles were a play-on words, some a little too cheesy even for my taste, but it was fun to read about her enthusiasm for them. :)
Beena
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who are interested in captions and slogans
Helped me learn the tricks of caption-writing.Good for people like me who can never come up with a good catchy caption, no matter how hard I think. Sam Horn makes it all sound too easy. Loves the way she talks.
Cate Meredith
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, work
Not for me - much too gimmicky and slight. I think it is meant for new grads and people just breaking into the industry. For them, it might work quite well as the writing is engaging. Just not enough substance for me.
Alan
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kate
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Contemporary art clearly
Crystal
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Good reminder on elevator pitches. While it's meant for marketing beginners, it's a good place to start. Full of good reminders.

• 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Get Out of My Head: Inspiration for Overthinkers in an Anxious World
  • The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia
  • The Communication Book: 44 Ideas for Better Conversations Every Day
  • The Labyrinth: An Existential Odyssey with Jean-Paul Sartre
  • For Small Creatures Such as We: Rituals for Finding Meaning in Our Unlikely World
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life