Start by marking “The Great Indoors” as Want to Read:
The Great Indoors

The Great Indoors

When a human family goes camping every year, woodland creatures move into their house for a week of relaxing in the great indoors, where they enjoy dance parties, the wonders of refrigeration, and good cell phone reception.
Published April 9th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Great Indoors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Indoors

Abigail
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children Who Prefer the Idea of a Staycation Indoors to Camping in the Woods
Julie Falatko, the author of the amusing Snappsy the Alligator books, and Ruth Chan, author/illustrator of the entertaining Georgie and Friends titles, join forces in this unusual holiday adventure. While a human family heads off for their own vacation in the outdoors, a group of woodland animals takes up residence in their home, intent on enjoying "the great indoors." Things go well at first, but soon the animals have created a terrible mess and, deciding that their own homes are best, head ...more
Peacegal
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully funny take on what happens when the forest wildlife decide to take a break from the outdoors! This one is zany enough for kids, and clever and creative enough for the adults.
Jessie Sima
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and hilarious! The caffeinated skunk is my favorite.
Deborah
Apr 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Clever concept, hilariously executed!
Tasha
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When the humans head out on vacation, the animals move in for their own holiday time. The beavers head to the kitchen to make plenty of snacks for everyone. The deer set up a dance party. A teen bear takes over the bathroom to curl her hair. The skunks used their cell phones. The bears used the humans’ tools to build things. Now there was no peace and quiet, no lack of screen time, and everything the indoor life had to offer. But as the week goes on, the parties and life of ease turn into one bi ...more
Jana
When my grandparents would take my sister and me camping each year, I often wondered why we never saw lots of wild animals beyond squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits. This hilarious picture book shows what happens when humans go off to camp in the great outdoors - they move into their comfortable homes for a week of vacation indoors. Humorous artwork and clever turnabout will have young readers giggling as the animals have all sorts of fun, and eventually get tired and homesick for the nice peacef ...more
Lisa
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
While the people go for their vacation to the great outdoors, the forest animals move in and vacation in the great indoors. It's lovely with a roof over their heads, the use of electricity helps them bake, use power tools, sing karaoke - all the fun things any animal would love to do on vacation. But so many in the now crowded house soon begins to wear on everyone's nerves.

Julie Falatko has written a cool twist on "how I spent my summer vacation." The animals doing human things are so funny - a
Diane
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder where animals go for vacation? To the great indoors, of course! While we’re out camping and hiking, they are experiencing the comforts of indoor living: plenty of food on hand, indoor plumbing, including a shower, electricity, and a cold drink (“Much better than the forest-temperature drinks at home.”)

But, as with every vacation, sometimes you can have too much of a good thing or maybe start getting on each others’ nerves. “The great indoors is too much work!” That’s the time you th
Tina Hoggatt
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know that thing where you idealize your annual vacation, are so stoked to be at your special place with all your family and friends, and after a few days reality and conflict set in? This book about animals vacationing in the great indoors is constructed of hilarity, charm, and stellar illustrations. The author is one of the funniest picture book creators around and illustrator Ruth Chan makes the most of the abundant openings Falatko provides for visually expanding the story. For my money, ...more
Mandy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Childrens picture book. When a human family leaves for the vacation, their woodland animal neighbors take their vacation to "the great indoors." The animals use all the electronics on their vacation and enjoy convenient foods that are cooked hot or very cold. As they progress through the week, their new living arrangement loses its shine and they are all happy to return to the forest, until next year. A fun story that gently criticizes some of the over-indulgent tendencies that humans have. The ...more
Pam
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful look at what happens when the forest animals take their yearly vacation week. They enjoy a week of relaxation and comfort inside a home.
Falatko captures the exact transition from joyful arrival, exciting activities to cranky behaviors and definitely time to go home.
Readers will enjoy the humor on each page as they read about the activities animals enjoy. The illustrations capture the joy of vacation and transition along with the words to the end of the week.
Love the last page as the
Audrey Day-Williams
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mentor-text-pb
This is one of those picture books where the words and art compliment each other perfectly.
The books tickles the funny bone and is a wonderful twist on a vacation gone well...too well.
If you're a picture book writer and looking for a mentor text for how to do a first page, this should be on your list.
I read this to my almost 10-year-old at the library and a few other rando kids gathered round and surrounded me with smiles and giggles. A winner for sure.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Funny. Loved the play off The Great Outdoors and changed it for animals taking a week inside a home for vacation. Fun for the kids, but I think funnier for adults and older readers that catch all the little things (like a teenager hogging the bathroom).

It's a little long for a storytime, but a classroom read aloud or to be read with your kids works perfect.
Kirsti Call
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Nothing like a frosty cold drink," said the bear. '"So much better than
the forest-temperature drinks at home."

Clever and witty, as usual, Julie Falatko and Ruth Chan create a whimsical world where animals take their vacation in someone's house. Filled with the hullaballo of animals in a house, the adventures don't stop until the very last page when you discover....well, I won't ruin the surprise. Such a fun read aloud, and good book for laughs.
Jillian
You know, I never really stopped to think about what a forest critter's idea of a "vacation" would be, but it totally makes sense that a human house would be a fantastic attraction.
Of course, these are animals that talk and use electricity, so it's obviously going to be different for them!
Ms Threlkeld
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This laugh-out-loud story flips the idea of vacation on its head by having woodland creatures stay at a vacationing family's house for a week. Everything starts out great, but by the end of the week it is definitely time to go home! Hmm, can anyone relate? ;)
Sheri
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is along the lines of Goldilocks but the bears, deer, beavers, and skunks go on vacation indoors. The people have gone on vacation outdoors. Fun premise and the ending is a surprise. Fun for kids to read on summer vacation, I think.
emyrose8
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love it! The forest animals visit a house to get away from it all for a weekend. They enjoy modern conveniences like we enjoy the fresh forest air and trees, etc. Super funny!
Sarah Yoon
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious flip on camping that you should read to the kids while in the woods breathing all that fresh mountain air XD
Darshana Khiani
6/17/19 Read with Naomi and Julia
Nicole Darrow
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever concept. Humans may go camping, but animals vacation at a human's home to experience "the great indoors".
Leah
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun concept, execution just okay
Jj
The illustrations are great here, and loaded with wonderful little details. Bravo, Ruth Chan!
Miss Sarah
An elementary and up book about animals vacationing in a person's house while they are gone. Very cute but sophticated humor.
Bobbi
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read!
Sara
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations and so well written and funny as well.I loved the idea of the animals camping inside.
Solange Guillen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2019, childrens
Same as imagining our toys to be alive whenever we are not around, this book brings animals to a mischievous vacation gateway...😏
Meredith Spidel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so fun and creative! What a cool spin to send my kiddos' imaginations spinning. Thanks for sending an ARC my way for review, Disney Books!
Ellen
This staycation story is a clever idea for a picture book. My kids thought this book was funny. However, sometimes neither the pictures nor the text sufficiently progressed the plot.
Julie Falatko is a modern day gadabout with the ability to have deep and meaningful conversations with kitchen appliances, who can parallel park with an 87% success rate, and who writes stories about misunderstood animals trying to find their place in the world. Please hold your applause until the end.

Julie grew up in New Jersey, an only child surrounded by books. She decided at age 8 that she wan