Jump to ratings and reviews

In the Shadow of Lakecrest

The year is 1928. Kate Moore is looking for a way out of the poverty and violence of her childhood. When a chance encounter on a transatlantic ocean liner brings her face-to-face with the handsome heir to a Chicago fortune, she thinks she may have found her escape—as long as she can keep her past concealed.

After exchanging wedding vows, Kate quickly discovers that something isn’t quite right with her husband—or her new family. As Mrs. Matthew Lemont, she must contend with her husband’s disturbing past, his domineering mother, and his overly close sister. Isolated at Lakecrest, the sprawling, secluded Lemont estate, she searches desperately for clues to Matthew’s terrors, which she suspects stem from the mysterious disappearance of his aunt years before. As Kate stumbles deeper into a maze of family secrets, she begins to question everyone’s sanity—especially her own. But just how far will she go to break free of this family’s twisted past?

282 pages, Paperback

First published February 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elizabeth Blackwell

6 books335 followers
As the daughter of a U.S. Foreign Service officer, Elizabeth Blackwell grew up in Washington, D.C., interspersed with stints in Africa, the Middle East and Europe--pretty much always with a book in hand. She majored in history at Northwestern University (hooray! more reading!) and received her master's in journalism from Columbia University, which led to a career as an editor and writer for a number of publications that have since gone out of business (surely just a coincidence?). She now writes fiction from her home office in the Chicago suburbs, in between wrangling her three children and fighting for a parking spot at the local Target.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
785 (9%)
1 star
213 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 558 reviews
Profile Image for Melisa.
324 reviews514 followers
May 27, 2017
A dark, gothic story full of mystery and lies.

Kate finds her perfect husband and moves into his large family estate. Everything should be perfect, but it isn't...

I loved how the house took on a life of its own, and almost felt like another character in the story. Lakecrest and the structures surrounding it are full of history, some of it quite mysterious.

I enjoyed the twists in this book, as well as the reveal. I never knew who I could trust. I give this books 3.5 stars, rounded down because the ending seemed a bit out of character.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Vanessa.
151 reviews
January 12, 2017
This was a Kindle First pick for me for Jan 2017.

This book held my interest throughout, but I was hoping for more.

Complaints:
-I didn't really connect with any of the characters.
-Despite the shocking nature of some of the events, I found myself underwhelmed because there was too much build up to plot points that I had already guessed.
-The main character seemed childish and overly paranoid.
-Then, after all the build-up and suspense, when we finally get the real story of what happened at Lakecrest, it's in a tell-all moment from the mother-in-law - who throughout the rest of the book is cold and uncaring toward the MC. But suddenly, they seem to come together, until they don't anymore.
-Even the historical aspect of this book fell flat for me.

Despite all that negativity though, I still finished the book in just a couple of days, and didn't want to stop reading. While it wasn't a great book, it certainly was a quick entertaining read.
Profile Image for Amy.
1,798 reviews1,855 followers
February 7, 2017
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

Historical fiction is not usually one of my go to genres, but when this beauty showed up in my mailbox I was immediately interested. Besides the gorgeous cover, (really it’s stunning, more so in person) the blurb gave me pause. I’ve always been taken in by the 1920’s, things seem so glamorous and chic, but throw in a crumbling family mansion hiding old secrets and I’m in!

Twisted characters never cease to appeal to me, but when there is an entire family that is twisted and shrouded in mystery? Be still, my heart. Kate is a young woman on a mission to find a husband. Not just any man will do, he needs to be of a certain status and able to provide the sort of life she’s only dreamed of. She was raised by a single mother and their life was a struggle, so when she meets Matthew Lemont and he is swiftly taken by her, she’s thrilled. They marry very quickly and before she can protest they’re living in his family home in Chicago with his mother Hannah and sister Marjorie. Expecting to start her brand new fairytale life, Kate is overwhelmed and apprehensive upon their arrival. Lakecrest is not as grand as it once was, the estate gives off a very sinister and creepy vibe, then there is her mother in law, a very controlling and ruthless woman who Kate struggles to connect with.

Kate finds herself very isolated and lonely, so her boredom leads her to start digging into the disappearance of Cecily, her husband’s aunt. That’s all I want to say about the plot, but the gothic vibe of the book worked very well for me and I was reminded of V. C. Andrews, whom I read all the time as a teenager. Blackwell covers a variety of taboo topics here, especially for the time period, and there are plenty of shameful family secrets lurking inside the walls of Lakecrest. I love a surprise ending and this one got me, I really liked where Blackwell left things in the end. If you’re a fan of darker, atmospheric historical fiction, check this one out.
Profile Image for [S] Bibliophage.
950 reviews851 followers
December 31, 2017
I'll admit that I'm still not yet finish reading this novel. I'm still contemplating whether to continue reading this some other time or just to stop altogether. I like the story, albeit I find some characters quite annoying. Lastly, that Matthew and Kate's whirlwind romance is not really romantic for me. Perhaps I could still read this someday; just not for now.
July 6, 2020
This book wanted so badly to be the next "Rebecca" that it all but plagiarized the first line:

Rebecca: Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
ItSoL: Last night, I dreamed Lakecrest was on fire.

Instead of Max de Winter, we have Matthew Lemont who is on a cruise when he meets Kate, a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. She pulls a Yoko Ono and pretends she doesn't know he's a wealthy bachelor. He falls for it, they get married, and off they go to live in his imposing mansion. Like Manderly, Lakecrest is sinister and filled with dark secrets. Kate soon finds out she might have made a dangerous move by marrying into the Lemont family.

Unlike Daphne du Maurier, Elizabeth Blackwell fails to create atmosphere, build tension, or develop believable characters. In other hands this might have been kind of loony, over-the-top fun, but the author couldn't pull it off. The whole thing was just disjointed, dull, and distasteful.

There was a point at the very end where the novel could almost have been redeemed. It was one of those scenes where a character just vomits out a story that explains everything, and you wonder why the hell they didn't do it so much earlier and prevent all the drama. I was thinking, "Oh, I see. That's kind of a cool ending."

But then the author tacks on an epilogue that is SO out of left field, it undermined the whole story and especially the preceding reveal. I wondered if she lost interest in the book, came back to it years later, and forgot the plot. I was thinking, "Um...Don't you remember what you wrote in the last chapter? Because this epilogue makes NO damn sense."

Random thoughts and spoilers:
Profile Image for Stefanie.
726 reviews57 followers
February 7, 2017
I received this book for free from my Kindle First subscription. It sounded like an interesting premise compared to the other books I could select from, so I went with it.
I have to say that even though there were some things in it that I don't necessarily agree with, the story itself was quite good! I enjoyed the suspense of Kate trying to solve the mystery of Cecily's disappearance (I'm always up for mystery!). I also enjoyed the historical setting (Chicago before the Great Depression).
The reason I'm leaving the rating at 3 stars was the fact that at times the story seemed to drag on and on. I found myself at times wanting to skip ahead, but I feared I would miss something important. There were also instances that information was repetitive and some details weren't necessary to the story itself, which can annoy me as a reader.
In summary though, I did enjoy the book and I'm glad I took a chance on it and selected it for my Kindle First selection this month.
Profile Image for Aleksej Wilczek.
33 reviews9 followers
January 8, 2017

Old mansions inspire sordid love affairs. (ques Crimson Peak music) But they don't. Just kidding.

In the Shadow of Lakecrest wants to be memorable, another staple to gothic storytelling like its predecessor and inspiration: Flowers in The Attic. It might have been, it had the potential to be, but it fell short. Instead, In the Shadow of Lakecrest plodded its way through a bizarre and heavily recycled plot, information dumped you 90% of the way through, and then ended with what I presume was supposed to be twist.

With a bland heroine and contrivance around every corner that counts, this book tapers off to a disappointing ending. The fourth quarter of the novel is what sealed the two star rating, for me.

SPOILER ALERT

A Flowers in the Attic wannabe that ended up more like Crimson Peak but without the gumption to follow through on the grittier topics.

I'll end by saying, though the plot suffered, the writing was decent. In an almost contrasting statement I would admit that I would read more from this author if she tightened up her plots, and stuck to similar topics. There's a massive hole left by V. C. Andrews and I would love if a decent writer would step up to boldly fill it.

P.S. If you are gonna play the incest card, play it well.
Profile Image for Pamela.
458 reviews75 followers
February 25, 2017
Mystery, secrets and paranoia with a gothic atmosphere...my kind of story. The story moves along a decent pace with a few twists and a particularly satisfying ending.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**
Profile Image for Katherine.
759 reviews346 followers
February 18, 2019
”Lakecrest was dying, and I was content to see it burn.”

Plot: Everyone: Kate, this is a really bad idea. Everything about this dude seems shady.
Kate: I don’t care. It’s fine.
Everyone: Kate, the house is falling apart and there are rooms you can’t go into. You know how it goes when people have rooms in houses you can’t enter.
Kate: No, really guys, it’s fine.
Everyone: KATE, FOR GOD’S SAKE, YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW AND MATT’S ENTIRE FAMILY HATES YOU AND IS BASICALLY TRYING TO RUN YOU OUT FOR A REASON THEY WON’T SAY. EVERYTHING IS NOT FUCKING FINE.
Kate: description

Have you read about someone or had someone close to you make a really, REALLY bad decision? Like, aberrantly bad? You can see it’s a bad idea, your mother can see it’s a bad idea, Brad Pitt can see it’s a horrendously bad idea…. and yet they still do the thing? They’re the only ones that think that it’s quite a good idea, but it’s really not.

Take this year’s Oscars, for example. In an effort to cut down the broadcast time of the awards show by one full hour, the president of the Academy decided that it would be a wonderful idea to not present four awards on television and cut their speeches short. He thought it was a good idea; the film industry, not so much.

In fact, they were so pissed off that a couple of them decided to write an open letter basically telling the Academy president that he’s a moron and his idea was maniacally stupid. More and more members signed the letter, but apparently the guy didn’t get the hit. It wasn’t until upwards of 600 Academy members signed the letter and threatened the next French Revolution that the guy relented.

In other words, everyone saw that this was a bad idea except the guy whose idea it was.

And I’m extremely sorry to say that this book was basically the identical plot to that.

Kate Moore is fed up with living in squander. A childhood of poverty and abuse has made her into a woman who wants more out of life, and that includes marrying on up into the social ladder. When she meets Matthew Lemont, she sees her chance. I mean, he’s right in front of her. He’s good looking, charming, witty, and really seems to see her. Best of all, he’s filthy rich. All she has to do is make him fall in love with her and keep that pesky past where it should be and he’s all hers. I mean what could possibly go wrong?
”I was so caught up in the idea of marrying Matthew that I hadn’t stopped to think what I’d do once I got him.”
Isn’t that supposed to be, like, step one as part of your master plan?

Short order review: Matthew’s awful and his family is awful and that house is really fucking awful. But Kate is the eternal optimist who thinks everything is just peachy-keen, so she sticks with it. It makes the book ten times more painful to watch because that damn optimism is what keeps getting Kate into trouble. This wasn’t even one of those entertaining train-wreck books where you can see that everything is a garbage fire but it’s fun to watch. This was just painful.

The core mystery surrounding the house was executed very poorly. Everyone was miserable and diabolical that I didn’t even feel all that sorry for them that something bad happened to them. I don’t know of that makes me extremely heartless or what, but it was just not good. The ending to the mystery wasn’t even that great, either.

In short, Kate Moore thinks she has this brilliant plan to marry on up the social ladder and it ends up being a disaster that everyone can see but her. She doesn’t grow or change throughout the novel to make her journey worthwhile, and it left me beyond unsatisfied with this book.
Profile Image for Cari.
1,112 reviews35 followers
February 6, 2017
The best way for me to describe In the Shadow of Lakecrest is to say that it is like Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and Du Maurier's Rebecca had a literary lovechild (so of course, this was absolutely my kind of book). I especially felt that the opening of the novel was very paralell to Rebecca, as it opened with the narrator dreaming of Lakecrest, (the dark and dreary estate of this tale) much like that famous opening line about dreaming of Manderly.

In the Shadow of Lakecrest was much like any other Gothic romance I've devoured in my life, except for two big points that made it unique. For one, instead of being set in the English countryside on a cliff overlooking the sea, (my favorite!) Kate and Matthew's story was instead set in the city of Chicago, overlooking Lake Michigan. The Lakecrest estate was still rich with history and darkened by tragedy, as every setting should be in this type of novel. The second unique aspect was that the main character's moral compass and intentions were just as mysterious as that of the "villains" of the story. Usually the main characters of these books are portrayed as being the kind of softspoken and innocent/naive young women that are often victimized. While Kate is a likable character who easily convinced me to be on her side, her ambitions and sometimes rather impulsive behavior made her far more interesting than your typical damsel in distress. I always felt that she was hiding something from me, which is something I find irresistible in a main character.

I won't go specifically into the plot, but just know that In the Shadow of Lakecrest has all the trappings of a great Gothic romance: mystery, atmosphere, family secrets, murder, betrayal, suspense, and sensuality. It won't disappoint.
☆☆☆☆

This was my January Kindle First pick.
Profile Image for Camille Maio.
Author 11 books1,039 followers
June 14, 2018
This is a book I read in one day, and not on a day where I really had the time to spare for it. But I just loved it and couldn't wait to find out what happened. Full of intrigue, mystery, and romance, it reminded me of one of my favorite classics - Rebecca. Don't miss this one!
Profile Image for Amanda.
361 reviews5 followers
June 9, 2017
Eh. I forced myself to finish this one because I wanted to see what happened to the aunt. The problem with this book is that there was not one likeable character in it. Kate is a gold-digger who won't stand up for herself, her husband is a weak minded mama's boy, and the mother-in-law is like that horrible neighbor from Rosemary's baby. By the time the end of the book came around, I was secretly hoping that someone would die, and I didn't care who. Kate, the mother-in-law, me....someone just needed to be put out of their misery.
Profile Image for Lisa.
451 reviews4 followers
February 15, 2017
I could not put this book down.. there won't be much of a review but let me just say WOW well done Kate! Great ending. I was starting to wonder when she would get her spine but definitely didn't see that ending coming.
Profile Image for KC.
2,379 reviews
December 21, 2017
I would like to thank NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and Elizabeth Blackwell for the advanced digital copy. As a child, Kate Moore endured a life of poverty, hardship, and violence. Years later, in 1928, she decides to board a transatlantic ocean liner, in hopes for a new life. She meets Matthew Lamont, who happens to be the heir to his family's Chicago medical company, and soon Kate and Matthew marry. While dealing with the demons of Matthew's past, Kate must also tolerate his cold hearted mother and troubled and jealous sister. With a slight feel of V.C. Andrews, this story unfortunately fell short. Some reviewers actually compared this tale to Daphne de Maurier's classic Rebecca, but not for me.
Profile Image for Marguerite Kaye.
Author 214 books327 followers
January 16, 2017
I like the premise of this story, and I loved the era in which it was set. I liked that the heroine was slightly dodgy biscuits morality-wise, and I liked the slightly Rosemary's Baby atmosphere. But this was one of those books where there was loads of good stuff which I felt wasn't made enough of, and ultimately kind of faded away rather than reached a climax. The parallels with Rebecca are pretty clear, but sadly the reality of this was a bit of a shadow compared to Du Maurier's classic. Overall, it was an easy read but for me a slightly disappointing one.
Profile Image for Renee Ross.
Author 10 books40 followers
February 26, 2017
A beautifully-written, masterfully-told, good-old-fashioned Gothic romance. What's not to love?
Profile Image for Sarah Mac.
1,057 reviews
November 8, 2018
Overall, a mixed bag.

The good: I'm partial to OTT uber-gothic stories about twisted family dynamics, & the Roaring Twenties era in this one was so different from the usual Victorian period. I also really liked the background of the current issues -- i.e., the studying of madness, Greek myth, incest, & 'hysteria' that was often foisted upon sensitive, moody women in the 19th-c.

That said...the REBECCA & VC Andrews influences are too obvious, & the characters are wildly inconsistent as they jump from one gothic trope to another without much lead-in or reasoning. Hannah, in particular, is a total mystery who never rings true in any of her guises, so how am I supposed to feel about her fate? Matthew is a whinging beta-boner who didn't inspire any interest, & the staff has no real personality (except possibly Karel, but then he's ejected from the story off-page); meanwhile, those who did have a better presence (Cecily, Marjorie, Kate's mom) are neglected in favor of infodumping & Kate's endless insecurities -- which are problematic in & of themselves, given her supposed take-no-prisoners persona.

Also, the Big Reveal re: Cecily was a very long speech by one particular person -- a tired, cliché device even in the best-written gothics. In a middling novel like this one, it's especially bothersome. The entire experience felt a lot like CRIMSON PEAK -- beautifully designed with lavish Gothic(tm) flourishes, but lacking depth & oomph.

...But still, it reads quickly & has elements that I favor in dark melodrama. So there you go. 3.5 stars, rounded up. Because sometimes I'm nice. :P
Profile Image for Eliza.
586 reviews18 followers
September 17, 2019
I feel like I'm being generous with this rating....it's really a 3.5 for me. I can't stand mama's boys
Profile Image for Cynthia.
247 reviews8 followers
May 9, 2019
A mix between Du Maurier's Rebecca and St. James' Silence for the Dead. A good story with rich characters.
Profile Image for Tasha.
538 reviews4 followers
July 18, 2022
Picked this from my long TBR on my Kindle and glad I did. Slow burn gothic-esque storyline with great character development and heart. And who doesn’t love a twist or two!
Profile Image for Melissa Levine.
1,010 reviews41 followers
June 30, 2020
This was another ebook that I had downloaded about four years ago from Amazon that had been sitting and waiting for me to read. While there was a lot of skimming going on throughout the story, and I didn't really like the two main characters, I did find the story interesting overall.

Comments:

I wasn't a fan of Matthew. His mother had him wrapped around her finger way too tightly. The fact that he was constantly referring to her for basically everything really annoyed me. Him thinking Kate would be happy to move to Lakecrest was strange considering Kate and his mother didn't get along. He seemed to be living in his own world. Yes, he had some mental health issues going on but still.

I get everyone wants to be in a happy relationship with a significant other and have a certain amount of stability. How Kate stayed married to Matthew, I have no clue. I didn't really feel bad about any of the crap she went/was put through. Why? Because she brought it on herself. It was obvious from the very beginning how the Lemont family was.

I wasn't a fan of Kate either. I get she didn't want the Lemont's to know that she married Matthew for the family money, but come on! All the comments referring to her faking a smile or whatever, it got tiring. When Matthew's sister takes her to the jazz club and Kate overdrinks, how was she surprised that the evening ended badly? Again, I didn't feel bad for her.

Her wanting to "help" Matthew with his nightmares by having sex with him? Yeah...no. I get her mother was a sex worker but still. That last big nightmare Matthew has in which he basically beats Kate (but she doesn't seem to have any marks the next day), and her getting upset that he turns her down when she eagerly takes her clothes off...I could have smacked her myself.

Near the beginning, after Kate moves into Lakecrest, she learns that Aunt Cecily had been gone for fifteen years. Yet, there are references to her having been gone for seventeen years and twenty years.

I did question how/why the couples of the family line seemed to continually have a son and daughter who would end up having an incestuous relationship. I didn't really get that part.

Questions:

The Lemont family is living in America and American. So why do Matt and his sister refer to their mother, Hannah, as "mum?" Why wouldn't they refer to her as "mother" as is common (usual) for adult children in American, no matter the time period?

Kate is wondering through the ginormous house, Lakecrest, thinking how nothing looks familiar. What a strange comment to make considering this was her first time being in those specific parts of the house.

When Kate is talking to Blanche, she tells her that she doesn't carry around money but instead uses credit. So when she went to pay the investigator the five twenties, where had she gotten that money from? I know later on that she had been saving money, but again, where was she getting it from? Wasn't a $100 a good amount back then? How did she think she could easily get more had the investigator wanted more?

After Kate visits the hospital, she ends up asking Hank how long the drive back to the house was. He states "Usually an hour and a half or so." She responds: "Usually?" How many people would have actually commented regarding "usually?" Wouldn't most assume it was just a guesstimation? I don't know. That part just stood out to me. I may be weird. Most likely am.

When Marjorie goes after Kate in the labyrinth, how did she know which way Kate had gone? Yes, Marjorie knew how to get to the center, but Kate had been in there for a good bit prior to Marjorie even going after her.

Kate's "Ma" comes to visit. "Lemonade! Divine! Ma always did have a mouth on her." I'm lost here. Did her mother say something inappropriate in that comment?
Profile Image for Pamela.
1,597 reviews19 followers
February 26, 2017
I picked this book as my first Kindle choice book of the month, and I am glad I did. Kate Moore, who was traveling as a nanny/ foreign language teacher, with two children, their father, and their grandmother on a ship, heading back to the states. The girls would be sent to finishing schools, and her job would be at an end. Thinking of all she had survived growing up, and the desire for better things in the future, had her lost in thought as she leaned over the railing of the ship, trying to spot a dolphin. Mathew had seen the young woman, and feared she meant to jump, and went to her rescue. He was from old money, and was tired of glossy females, and conniving mothers, pushing over eager daughter's his way. Kate seemed so different, and although she hope to find security, none of that showed seven they glanced at each other. They seemed to easily connect, easy to converse, and laugh, and relax with. He had been in the last war, and had suffered from PTSD. Nightmares, and visions disturbed his sleep, but in the few weeks left on board he felt like a new man. She too, is swept away by this kind, and elegant man, who truly seemed to care for her, and saw her as his equal. It was like a dream come true for both of them, and they married quickly after. His home was Lakecrest, a huge monstrosity of a mansion, complete with elegant, and gorgeously appointed sister, who had a tendency to be to wild, and a mother in law that is demeaning, and manipulative. The gloom of the house, the disappearance of a beloved aunt , while on the grounds of the property, others female members, and wives who decided suicide was the best way out, all does little to assure Kate . Mathew tries to please both his mother, and Kate, and tame his sister, but never seems to get control. Kate is more a prisoner, as time goes on, and I could feel her fear. I too, would have been afraid. She was locked in ,and drugged, and isolated from others ,while her husband was away. Her tales of mistreatment seems impossible, when he listens, and all her fears seem more like her imagination. There were so many secrets, and some madness, and it kept my interest. I really liked it, and the ending kept right with the story. Although it. is fiction, I couldn't help hoping Mathew, and his wife would be able to have that freedom, and share the love they felt, without being followed, spied on ,and manipulated. There were some disturbing secrets revealed, but it was nothing that one hadn't thought of while reading the book..I give it 4. 5 stars.....If you like gothic, or dark manipulation, and touch of fear, and madness, then this is for you. A family that has to maintain control, at any cost, even death.
Profile Image for Ashley Gillan.
510 reviews8 followers
March 7, 2017
I DEVOURED this book.

I was worried that the historical (1920's) setting would give the book a stilted/overly complicated style. But this book was such an easy read on top of such a great story, that I didn't even realize how quickly I was racing through it.

The novel tells the love story of Kate Moore - raised by a poor mother who dreamed of a rich, handsome husband for her only child - and Matthew Lemont, a wealthy heir to a Chicago family's fortune and terrible legacy. The Lemonts are well-respected, but also feared due to rumors of strange happenings on the family estate, Lakecrest. Many of the tumors surround Matthew's aunt, Cecily, an eccentric artist who disappeared into a strange building 16 years before. As Kate unravels the family's secrets, can she keep her sanity and her life from falling apart?

This story has it all: rumors of strange, heathen rituals, an evil mother-in-law, family secrets, a weird, sprawling estate; literally every gothic novel element is there, just waiting to be unraveled. And the author does a great job of using each element just enough to keep you guessing. There are enough moving parts to keep you guessing until the end.

I also liked that you couldn't trust any of the characters in the novel. It wasn't clear who was telling the truth, who was insane, etc. throughout the book. Even Kate comes under suspicion. That's really the mark of a great suspense novel, when you truly feel you can't even trust the person telling the story - you're so wrapped up in the intrigue.

I also loved the ending. So neat and clean. It really was the exact perfect way it should have ended.

I highly recommend this novel to people who love suspense and great thrillers. I look forward to this author's next work.

A++
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Lisa.
334 reviews6 followers
January 3, 2017
Wonderful

Beautifully written, an oppressive, dark and psychologically thrilling tale. I was instantly transported to another place and time. The author is gifted with the narrative, it truly takes the reader on a journey.

A must read for anyone, whether historical thrillers be your chosen genre, or you feel like trying something different. I would highly recommend this gripping and atmospheric novel.

I hope Elizabeth Blackwell decides to turn this into a series. The wonderful! twist and "cliffhanger" of an ending has left me breathless for more .

Bravo

2 reviews
January 5, 2017
Dreadful

This book left me with a pit in my stomach. Not a single character in this story has a redeeming virtue. Not one of them does any honorable thing. It is a story about mental illness and incest, murder, greed and power. You would think the main character, Kate, would rise above the fray, but instead she turns into a horrible human being, just like the rest. Worse, in my opinion. Unless you want to be left with a feeling of hopelessness about the human condition, don't read this book.
Profile Image for Jen Lanam.
54 reviews2 followers
January 4, 2017
Good book, suspenseful with a satisfying ending (to me).

I liked the main character more than I would have thought, based on her past and motivations. I'd rate it PG to PG-13 for sex and violence, but I don't think there was any bad language. Yes, it was a gothic take, but not depressing like some of those (like Wuthering Heights). Is recommend it for adults.
Profile Image for Heather.
47 reviews1 follower
September 12, 2017
I enjoyed much of the writing and was caught away in most of the claustrophobic story. I just didn't understand the unnecessary ending. I'll agree with another reviewer that some of the answers came too quickly in giant slabs of somewhat convenient revelation, but it didn't ruin it for me. This was no "Rebecca" but it was a mostly enjoyable read.
25 reviews2 followers
February 6, 2017
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..." This book is reminiscent of one of my favorite books-Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. A large sprawling mansion, an insecure wife, a mess with the mind psychotic protagonist, suspense, mystery, and plot twists. What better way to spend a few hours?
Profile Image for Diane Conlinn.
11 reviews2 followers
January 3, 2017
Murder

Well I thought this might be a nice period piece. But it bored me and I skipped through the book. The ending which was supposed to be shocking just conformed my opinion.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 558 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.