Start by marking “Tales from the Darkside” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Darkside

Tales from the Darkside

Joe Hill's nerve-shredding re-imagining of Tales from the Darkside never made it to TV...but the dead are restless and refuse to stay buried! Adapts the episodes written by Hill and illustrated by Locke & Key co-creator Gabriel Rodriguez! Three stories of the macabre and malevolent! One coulda-been, shoulda-been TV epic on paper with pictures that don't move! Step out ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Darkside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Darkside

Johann (jobis89)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a fan of this one 🙈
Chad
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
A disappointment to say the least. Not what I expected from the same team who created the comics masterpiece, Locke & Key. Collected are the first three scripts from a failed attempt at a remake of the 80's TV anthology, Tales from the Darkside, this time for CW. The adaptation from Joe Hill's scripts into comics form was actually done by Michael Benedetto who has only written one other adaptation into comics and it shows. The stories are just plain boring. They try and portray horror but it ...more
Mindi
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I adore Joe Hill. And I also love Gabriel Rodriguez. The last time these two came together they created the magic that was Locke & Key, and I was completely blown away. That series will always be one of my favorite graphic novels, and the pairing of Hill and Rodriguez was absolutely perfect. Sadly, Hill and Rodriquez fail to create the same magic with Tales from the Darkside.

I"m pretty sure that Hill had wanted to revive this television series for a long time. He actually worked with his fat
Quentin Wallace
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Tales from the Darkside is probably in my top ten favorite tv shows of all time, so I was really looking forward to this. Throw in Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez and it seems like this would be a can't miss. However, I have to say I was very disappointed with this one. I don't know if the series was canceled before it could be written to a conclusion or if this is was how it was supposed to be written, but it just didn't make any sense. Also, I also remembered Darkside as more of a hor
Juan Carlos
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tales From de Dark Side originalmente fue una serie de tv creada, entre otros, por el aclamado escritor de terror Stephen King. Hace unos años, su hijo Joe Hill tuvo la intención de relanzar dicha serie, proyecto que no acabó viendo la luz. Pero Joe Hill no dejó que sus ideas quedaran olvidadas, se juntó con Gabriel Rodríguez, con el que había formado el tándem creador de la mejor serie de cómic de terror de los últimos años aclamada hasta la saciedad: Locke & Key. Así llegó esta serie, que ...more
Cassie-la
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/04/09/...

Joe Hill’s planned three year Tales from the Darkside reboot may have not been picked up by the CW — or anyone else for that matter — but thankfully the scripts still got to see the light of day in comic book form. While Hill’s individual stories are intriguing and unique, they ultimately feel like a small piece of a much larger vision and suffer for it.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"Tales from the Darkside" is Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's take on the old series/movie and reading it only made me love Joe Hill even more. I believe it was originally conceptualized as a rebirth of the old show into a new series, but it never took off. Nonetheless, the tales do transitional well on paper and made a heck of a graphic novel.

There are three separate tales in this volume. The first is "Sleepwalker" which is also my favorite. In it a teen lifeguard falls asleep on the job leadin
Ripley
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
My previous review covered the Tales from the Darkside Scripts which were the scripts for the failed revival of a new Tales from the Darkside series no network would pick up. After it was decided that these tales would never become the hoped for series it was decided that the scripts would be published and since Mr. Hill had previous comic book experience, the scripts were then turned into a graphic novel.

The first story is about a man who sleeps through life and finally gets a chance for atone
Sooraya Evans
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can now see why this didn't make it to TV and became a comic instead.
The three stories featured in this volume were already lame. Not exactly horror.
A guy who makes people sleep whenever they look at his face. Another guy with a black rubik's cube. And a weird family with evil tech thingies. YAWN! Can't expect it to get any better in the future.
Kinda disappointed, really. I was expecting more from Joe Hill.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Eh.. the artwork was rad as hell! The stories felt unfinished, however.
Javier Muñoz
Entretenido, pero no se puede evitar la sensación de que se deja el trabajo a medias, de hecho uno de los capítulos no tiene un final propiamente dicho. Exceptuando la primera, todas las historias dan la impresión de tener un nexo común, una trama que se habría ido entretejiendo y dando sus frutos a lo largo de una serie de larga duración que no pudo ser, supongo que por otros compromisos de los autores.

Al final deja una sensación agridulce, se disfruta pero se acaba en seguida y te deja a media
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Le pongo 5 estrellas por el gran rato que he pasado mientras lo leía. Son como varias historias relacionadas entre sí por un elemento central que no empezamos a comprender del todo hasta el final del cómic. Me ha parecido sumamente original y que sus siguientes números pueden dar mucho más de si. Así que con ganas y a esperar el siguiente
Cyndi
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hill and Rodriguez are horror’s Brubaker and Phillips. Great tales, tight artwork and fabulous extension of the “Darkside” universe. Too cool for school y’all!
Samantha
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first and third story. The second was good, I just didn't like it as much as the others.
Alasondro Alegré
★★★ ...more
Steve
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good stories, but they ended strangely. Not strange like mysterious, rather strange like disjointed/odd.
Joanne
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This graphic novel contains three stories - Sleepwalker ; Black Box ; A Window Opens.

The artwork in the book is great. The artist has done a good job depicting the stories. The art is in bold colors and beautifully helps tell the stories.

As with any compilation there will be stories that are stronger then others. For me the last one was the weakest. If you've ever seen Twilight Zone or similar types of shows then that should give you an idea how the stories are laid out - the unusual and macabr
Estibaliz79
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
As we all know by now, the team Hill-Rodriguez is a winning one, prone to deliver good stories by Hill, perfectly depicted through Rodriguez's drawing.

'Tales from the Darkide' is none the exception, and it perfectly captures and evokes the essence of the classic TV show: goosebumps guaranteed.

But it 'just' gets 4 stars from me, because I'm not the greatest fan of anthologies, as I always want to know more about the "what after...". Specially regarding the second story, though I guess you can sa
Dan
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really wish this had actually made it to series. Joe Hill clearly had some good ideas, and while I'm not necessarily crazy about having "Darkside" with an over-arching narrative, in Hill's hands it would have been very interesting. The comics adaptation of his scripts is incomplete by design; there's not really an ending since this was intended to be the start of an ongoing television series. I hope Hill returns to these concepts at some point, but this is more a curiosity for his fans (and "D ...more
Katie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This graphic novel was made up of three stories. The first was rather depressing. It had a neat concept but it was not really explained and I felt like the story went by really quickly with a not great ending. The second story was kind of creepy. One image, in particular, was really freaky. The third story was the 'scariest' and had a really cool idea, it just all seemed too simple and quick.
Overall it was a fun little read but not my favorite.
Jonathan Maas
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prob my favorite title from Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez

I - somehow - have not seen the original Tales from the Darkside. This one was my intro - and it was a great one.

I like Joe Hil and Gabriel Rodrigues - their Locke and Key was great, until it got a bit too over the top for me.

But this one just did it for me, and when it ran away, it ran away in all the right directions. Just incredible.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
If only Hill and Rodriquez had found the funding to make this series, we would have a full collection of tales that eventually expose the connections from one story to another story. Instead we only have this flash of brilliance; this little comic collection of three almost linked stories. They are good - scary, imaginative and full of the promise of what might have been.
Matti Karjalainen
Joe Hillin ja Gabriel Rodriguezin yhteistyön tuloksena syntynyt "Tales from the Darkside" (IDW, 2016) sisältää kolme lyhyttä kauhutarinaa, joiden käsikirjoitukset luotiin alun perin saman nimiseen televisiosarjaan (tai oikeammin kai sen uudelleenkäynnistykseen). Sarja ei koskaan toteutunut, joten sitten tehtiin sarjakuva. Lopputulos ei ole millään tavalla erityisen mieleenpainuva.
Aidan Fitzgerald
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read by the team behind Locke and Key. I loved the old tv show and they’re trying something a little different with it.
Amanda
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is perfect, the art is perfect but where are the endings to the stories??
Elena M Freed
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awsome

Brilliant! After years of reading superhero comics, I've really got into horror comics and this was one of the best I've read.
Kathy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite book by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez.
Tobin Elliott
I enjoyed this, though you really only get a hint of the mysteries that were to come. Hill's writing is tight and irreverent, and Rodriguez's art is, as usual, spot on.

A fun collection.
Sues
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great graphics - storyline is good esp - the babysitter story . . . . if you are a fan of the original "Tales From The Darkside" you'll appreciate the graphic novels
Justin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just didn't get it, It felt like it was just being weird for the sake of being weird no real story line. The only thing that pulled this from a 1 star is the artwork which i did like.
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in