Start by marking “What Do People Do All Day?” as Want to Read:
What Do People Do All Day?

What Do People Do All Day?

An illustrated panorama of the animals of Busytown at work, describing the occupations and activities of many of her citizens through detailed drawings with labels indicating processes and equipment used as they perform their jobs.
Hardcover, Abridged, 64 pages
Published March 12th 1968 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about What Do People Do All Day?, please sign up.

Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is the best book ever written. I mean it.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gateway drug to my son, who now spends half his time poring over (and creating) detailed cross-sections and schematics. And Lowly Worm, too!
Ellinor
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, people learning English
This books is really fantastic! There's so much going on you could spend days reading it. And it's brilliant when you're learning English. I speak English very well but I still learned new words from this book. I left it on my night table to read again and learn more words.
Agosto2010
Uno dei miei primi libri, adorato
Kate Merriman
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
I think I spent more hours in relationship with this book than maybe any other in my life, other than some spiritual texts.

I was fascinated by all the things people did for jobs, all the detail in the illustrations, the sense of humor inherent in all of it. I would gaze at just one page for something like a half-hour, like it was television, but the stories were ones I was telling myself about the characters.

Soon I began drawing the characters (pigs were my favorite), first copying exactly and t
Ignas
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for this book.
Audrey
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jack
This book is very outdated (sexist).
Shanna Gonzalez
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Richard Scarry had a tremendous gift for telling stories that, while simple in plot, are rich in visual detail so that, having been read aloud once, they provide hours of entertainment for prereaders to enjoy at their leisure. His lively, fill-up-the-page artwork and classic sense of humor have endeared him to children for over fifty years.

In this book, Scarry introduces individual citizens of Busytown, then tells short stories about specific projects they are involved in: building a house, mail
Robbie Cheadle
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Richard Scarry books. The stories are such fun and are also informative and the pictures are amazing. What do people do all day? is packed with interesting illustrations and stories about all sorts of workers including a farmer, a mother, the captain of a ship and a police sergeant. All of the workers are depicted as different animals and there are all sorts of little sub-stories going on in the background of each story. These sub-stories are very amusing. The pictures are very ...more
Amar Pai
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Enjoyably detailed guide to modern industrial life. You can spend a lot of time poring over the oversized pages. As usual Richard Scarry's illustrations are warm and humorous.. This is like the baby version of Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape, or Works: Anatomy of a City

See also: Everything great about Richard Scarry in one picture
Jess
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
September 2017 - I have a love/hate relationship with Richard Scarry. I love the details, the labels, the explanations of all kinds of things kids are interested in. But ugh, despite some improvements to the illustrations, there are still some super, super sexist stories in here, and I couldn't make it all the way through as a read-aloud - things that were too fundamental to the story to change on the fly.
Caroline
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This title encapsulates the question I ask to myself as I drive around in Houston trafffic--What Do People Do All Day? Ha ha. A classic.

Ages 3-6
Jamie McLendon
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The rare 1966 edition wherein Huckle Cat staples Bananas Gorilla to the classroom bulletin board.
Joseph Leskey
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: reviewed, fiction, humor
This isn't exactly a classy work of literature, but it is certainly fun to read every once and a while. I never did stop liking to read a good Richard Scarry book.
Alexandra Hunter
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fits somewhere between fiction and fact, created to inform children of the different jobs that make up society. Informative and creative. Stories and illustrations are all with animals and centre around an event, a sea voyage, a fire, a visit to hospital. It's dated but relevant still. For EYFS or year 1.
Jeremy
Sep 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-ya, fiction
WORLD comments here.
King Ævil
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A timeless children's classic. I learned to read at a very early age largely on account of this book. Not only that, I still own the very copy of What Do People Do All Day I cut my literary teeth on. It's been loved to near death: the binding, long since disintegrated, now consists of three loops of candy-striped yarn, and the outside edges of most of the pages are in tatters. Yet Huckle and his companions live on, as industrious and helpful as they were forty years past.

Richard Scarry's works n
Ann Moody
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute all time favorites as a child. My original copy was worn to shreds and eventually discarded. So as a young adult I special ordered a new copy, only to find it "abridged" and clearly missing some of my favorite sections. Abridged? Why? Apparently there may have been various stereotypes no longer deemed appropriate, but I can't recall anything offensive in the original.

Even so, it's still a winner. In my humble opinion, the original Richard Scarry stories are cuter, more clever,
Paigems
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. If the '60s gender politics bother you, don't read it OR use it as a critical discussion point when you read it to your kids. Or, you know, realize that there's nothing inherently shameful about housewifery and just enjoy it.
Awesome for pre-readers.
D'Anne
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sadly the only version of this book available today is the abridged version which is a shame since it does not include some of my favorite sections (like what do writers do all day). The unabridged version gets 5 stars.
Brendan White
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time! What Do People Do All Day? is a picture book written and illustrated by Richard Scarry. It’s appropriate for children aged 3-7. In 2012, the book won the Scholastic Parent and Child 100 Greatest Books for Kids. The pages show the town of Busytown and the places people go and work such as a paper mill, construction site, and hospital. The pictures are incredibly detailed and full of recognizable Richard Scarry characters.

There are so many ways in which to ut
Kleine Atlas
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engels
Klassieker! Kwam traag op gang, maar sloeg uiteindelijk echt wel aan.

Goed om Engels te leren want:
- tot nog toe het enige kinderboek dat ik ken dat eigenlijk in de categorie non-fictie valt en toch niet genadeloos ingewikkeld is. Dus: interessevanger!
- behapbare stukken, genoeg onderwerpen, zo omschreven en getekend dat zelfs ik, die techniek haat, getrigerd werd én bleef.
- behoorlijk ingewikkelde en technische woordenschat, maar: door de vele tekeningen ook concreet genoeg. Plus: meestal relev
Amanda
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly Sawyer’s (4.5) favorite book of all time. He got it last Christmas and STILL reads it at least once a month. It’s one of the books he pours over by himself. I love that it actually sort of explains some things fairly well. He has his favorite stories that he asks for but the entire book is well done. So much to look at. I wish Richard Scarry had more like this (we own two others similar to this that are favorites as well).
Sara Hollar
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both my 4 year old & my 2 year old loved this! It's a huge book with large spreads about various jobs, or methods (ex: Building a new house, Wood & how we use it (explains how paper is made from wood- our favorite part!), Building a new road, etc. Some of it was slightly outdated (published 1968) but overall we loved it!
Cathy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book for all kids especially special needs kids, where you can ask plenty of questions about what people do all day. This can give the child more of a literal description, in what otherwise can be quite a difficult way for a child to understand what people do for a living.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Another great, detail-oriented book. My daughter especially found the fire emergency part of the book really interesting. The book showed the process of there being a house fire and what the fire department does to come to the rescue and help.
Calvin
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another favorite (age 3). Calvin remembers the cute stories about how things are made and where things come from, and being a worker or a helper appeals to him even at a young age. His favorite story is probably the one about the lumber camp.
Karen
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scarry's work truly is incomparable. And timeless. I read this book when I was probably about four or five. And MANY years later, I still remember it. My son just finished reading it, and he loves it. There is something very magical about Richard Scarry's work.
Courtney Dickerson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt that this book was great for lifting that veil and looking into adulthood. The perspective of using animals was wonderful and I think has the potential to help children at least gain an ounce of insight into what the real world is like.
Alissa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories
  • I Am a Bunny
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • A First Book of Fairy Tales
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • The Bee Tree
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Barbapapa
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more