Start by marking “What Do People Do All Day?” as Want to Read:
What Do People Do All Day?

What Do People Do All Day?

An illustrated panorama of the animals of Busytown at work, describing the occupations and activities of many of her citizens through detailed drawings with labels indicating processes and equipment used as they perform their jobs.
Hardcover, Abridged, 64 pages
Published March 12th 1968 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about What Do People Do All Day?, please sign up.
Shawna This book was included in our pre-k homeschool curriculum. I started reading it to my son when he was 4 and he enjoyed it and asked some questions but…moreThis book was included in our pre-k homeschool curriculum. I started reading it to my son when he was 4 and he enjoyed it and asked some questions but the pages have quite a few words and labels on them so I couldn't keep his interest for very long. So I paused. Now, at 5.5, he definitely understood more, enjoyed it more and asked me to keep reading. I think the perfect age range would be age 5+ (kindergarten and up). My personal opinion.(less)

Manybooks
While Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day? definitely is engagingly entertaining, full of details upon details and thus both textually and illustratively informative (and albeit I do also have fond memories using a school library copy in grade four to practice my English vocabulary), personally I have always found What Do People Do All Day? as much too frenetic and too in-your-face busy for my tastes (and most definitely with TOO MUCH of an emphasis on physical work, and especially on veh ...more
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is the best book ever written. I mean it.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gateway drug to my son, who now spends half his time poring over (and creating) detailed cross-sections and schematics. And Lowly Worm, too!
Ellinor
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, people learning English
This books is really fantastic! There's so much going on you could spend days reading it. And it's brilliant when you're learning English. I speak English very well but I still learned new words from this book. I left it on my night table to read again and learn more words.
Kate Merriman
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
I think I spent more hours in relationship with this book than maybe any other in my life, other than some spiritual texts.

I was fascinated by all the things people did for jobs, all the detail in the illustrations, the sense of humor inherent in all of it. I would gaze at just one page for something like a half-hour, like it was television, but the stories were ones I was telling myself about the characters.

Soon I began drawing the characters (pigs were my favorite), first copying exactly and t
Audrey
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jack
This book is very outdated (sexist).
Ignas
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for this book.
Jess
September 2017 - I have a love/hate relationship with Richard Scarry. I love the details, the labels, the explanations of all kinds of things kids are interested in. But ugh, despite some improvements to the illustrations, there are still some super, super sexist stories in here, and I couldn't make it all the way through as a read-aloud - things that were too fundamental to the story to change on the fly.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This is probably one of my four-year-old's favorite books. It takes a long time to read because the text is all over the pages (which can be nice because that helps it describe things more specifically), but he really enjoys seeing all of the different workers, especially the lumberjacks, farmers, and construction workers. He tells me that when he grows up, he wants to be "a worker"!

There is a fair amount of silliness as is typical in Busytown, and of course, anthropomorphic animals, but it seem
Shanna Gonzalez
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Richard Scarry had a tremendous gift for telling stories that, while simple in plot, are rich in visual detail so that, having been read aloud once, they provide hours of entertainment for prereaders to enjoy at their leisure. His lively, fill-up-the-page artwork and classic sense of humor have endeared him to children for over fifty years.

In this book, Scarry introduces individual citizens of Busytown, then tells short stories about specific projects they are involved in: building a house, mail
Robbie Cheadle
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Richard Scarry books. The stories are such fun and are also informative and the pictures are amazing. What do people do all day? is packed with interesting illustrations and stories about all sorts of workers including a farmer, a mother, the captain of a ship and a police sergeant. All of the workers are depicted as different animals and there are all sorts of little sub-stories going on in the background of each story. These sub-stories are very amusing. The pictures are very ...more
Amar Pai
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Enjoyably detailed guide to modern industrial life. You can spend a lot of time poring over the oversized pages. As usual Richard Scarry's illustrations are warm and humorous.. This is like the baby version of Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape, or Works: Anatomy of a City

See also: Everything great about Richard Scarry in one picture
Jamie McLendon
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The rare 1966 edition wherein Huckle Cat staples Bananas Gorilla to the classroom bulletin board.
Caroline
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This title encapsulates the question I ask to myself as I drive around in Houston trafffic--What Do People Do All Day? Ha ha. A classic.

Ages 3-6
Joseph Leskey
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, humor
This isn't exactly a classy work of literature, but it is certainly fun to read every once and a while. I never did stop liking to read a good Richard Scarry book.
Alexandra Hunter
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fits somewhere between fiction and fact, created to inform children of the different jobs that make up society. Informative and creative. Stories and illustrations are all with animals and centre around an event, a sea voyage, a fire, a visit to hospital. It's dated but relevant still. For EYFS or year 1.
King Ævil
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A timeless children's classic. I learned to read at a very early age largely on account of this book. Not only that, I still own the very copy of What Do People Do All Day I cut my literary teeth on. It's been loved to near death: the binding, long since disintegrated, now consists of three loops of candy-striped yarn, and the outside edges of most of the pages are in tatters. Yet Huckle and his companions live on, as industrious and helpful as they were forty years past.

Richard Scarry's works n
Charlotte
I thought I vividly remembered this book from my childhood, but on an adult second reading I only vividly remember through about page 9. My mom would always choose this book as the last bedtime book on those holdout nights when I resisted sleep. Its long and kindof dry, but it has its good points too.

This book is full of vocabulary that kids are sure to hear everyday and simple explinations for what the things are. The illustrations are funny and detailed. Once you learn all the characters, its
Ann Moody
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute all time favorites as a child. My original copy was worn to shreds and eventually discarded. So as a young adult I special ordered a new copy, only to find it "abridged" and clearly missing some of my favorite sections. Abridged? Why? Apparently there may have been various stereotypes no longer deemed appropriate, but I can't recall anything offensive in the original.

Even so, it's still a winner. In my humble opinion, the original Richard Scarry stories are cuter, more clever,
Annie
Jack enjoyed it, but it is pretty outdated. I found a lot of places where I had to break in and say, "well, that's how they used to do it, but now..." I like what the book sets out to do, and I like the curiosity and focus with which Jack responds to Richard Scarry books. I should check out the current edition and see if it has been tweaked.
Judy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Whew! There's so much in this book, my first impression was 'overwhelming'! I haven't read this with any of my nieces and nephews but something tells me that I'll have to rethink the way I read aloud. Instead of reading every word from beginning to end (which I seldom do anyway), I expect that the amount of time on any one page will depend on what the child finds the most interesting.
D'Anne
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sadly the only version of this book available today is the abridged version which is a shame since it does not include some of my favorite sections (like what do writers do all day). The unabridged version gets 5 stars.
Paigems
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. If the '60s gender politics bother you, don't read it OR use it as a critical discussion point when you read it to your kids. Or, you know, realize that there's nothing inherently shameful about housewifery and just enjoy it.
Awesome for pre-readers.
Autumn
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
For a child with ADD, this book can be overwhelming. The details per page can be distracting to the text. It's just too busy.
Kimberly
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: onceuponatime
Way too busy...not sure if it's too busy for me or my toddler. I try to avoid reading it, and it's never requested.
Brendan White
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time! What Do People Do All Day? is a picture book written and illustrated by Richard Scarry. It’s appropriate for children aged 3-7. In 2012, the book won the Scholastic Parent and Child 100 Greatest Books for Kids. The pages show the town of Busytown and the places people go and work such as a paper mill, construction site, and hospital. The pictures are incredibly detailed and full of recognizable Richard Scarry characters.

There are so many ways in which to ut
Lauren Duffy
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is part of the Timberdoodle homeschool curriculum for preschoolers. I didn’t buy the kit but I looked at the resources and got some of them. That led me to check this book out from the library for my 4 year old. I had heard of Richard Scarry books before but had never read this one to my older children. It’s delightfully vintage and brings so much nostalgia. My daughter is really enjoying this book and all the stories in it. The illustrations are fantastic and the simple and clear writ ...more
Shawna
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to read to my 5yr old! He thoroughly enjoyed it. He asked plenty of questions and learned so much from the answers. It's fun and very educational. It tells a story of what a family of fun farm animals does for a living (as if they were humans and had careers) and how their job impacts them, their family and their environment. Each "chapter" is a new job/trade but they all tie together. The illustrations are labeled, which makes for a wonderful learning opportunity on each pag ...more
Jaimie Stepro
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This is one of those books that is a pain in the butt to read cause there are a ton of drawings and lots of little text BUT it's also a super practical book and helpful for little ones who are beginning to take note of their surroundings. (For example it shows the inner workings of different jobs people have, like a builder of a house. Not only does it show the different jobs that go into building a home, it also shows how the pipes work etc.)
Amanda
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly Sawyer’s (4.5) favorite book of all time. He got it last Christmas and STILL reads it at least once a month. It’s one of the books he pours over by himself. I love that it actually sort of explains some things fairly well. He has his favorite stories that he asks for but the entire book is well done. So much to look at. I wish Richard Scarry had more like this (we own two others similar to this that are favorites as well).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Eloise Wilkin Stories
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • A First Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • Madlenka
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Barbapapa
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • The Bee Tree
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Alfie Gets in First
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more