Start by marking “There Are Cats in This Book” as Want to Read:
There Are Cats in This Book

There Are Cats in This Book

(There are Cats in These Books)

Open the covers of this extraordinarily inventive, interactive book to find that the cats inside are ready to play -- in very surprising ways.
There they are, purring under a blanket. But not for long! Three sprightly cats named Tiny, Moonpie, and Andre are eager to involve you in their games, whether it's tossing a ball of yarn (oof!), lifting flaps to find them in boxes
Published November 25th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about There Are Cats in This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are Cats in This Book

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Three cats, Tiny, Moonpie, and Andre, want you to play with them as they find some yarn, boxes and pillows... then they are tempted by FISH!

This book is INTERACTIVE!! The art is good. Simple and evocative from the cover inwards. My nephew was all over that cover with it's partial dust jacket and the cats peeking over the top. He insisted we read that book first. He so loved this book that his drawing is so, so good the only way you
Kathryn
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lift-the-flap book fans/ reluctant readers/ cat lovers
This book is SO much fun!!! I know I would have loved it as a kid--I was totally into "pop up" books. This one is more lift-the-flap variety and is wonderfully interactive. It would be great encouragement for reluctant "readers" as it involves the kids in the story and they must be active in order for the tale to progress. The three adorable kitties greet the reader and say "You look very nice" and invite the reader to come along and play with them. Why, isn't that a ball of yarn on the next pag ...more
Kimberly
In all honesty, I am not really a cat person. They are sneaky and they kind of creep me out. This book, however, is all kinds of fun and adorable. The little girls I read it with were absolutely charmed.
Ann
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New or not-too-interested-in-reading readers
Recommended to Ann by: Kathryn!
Oh how adorable!

This book is about three cats who ask the reader to play with them, because, as they say, "You look nice."

I'm not sure I would have realized this book's reading benefits for new readers had Kathryn not already pointed it out, but they are definitely there! For any reader who isn't too keen on reading, this is a great way to get them interested, because the reader is asked by the kittens to turn the page so that the kittens can play with the string on the next page, see the fish
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhhhh this might be my new favorite picture book! I love the colorful cats, the loose, happy illustrations, the lift-the-flaps, and the interactive nature of this book. This would be too much fun to read aloud. Good for fans of The Monster at the End of This Book and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
Patricia
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
SO cute! i love interactive children's books. this had me smiling throughout.
Julie
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Both the text & the illustrations were very entertaining.
Elwyna
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the funny pages a lot.
L.H. Johnson
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when a picture book works really well, it's a delight regardless of what age you are. The best ones work at a level accessible to everyone, bringing different levels of nuance and meaning to an apparently simplistic concept. They are very hard to do, and very hard to do well.

This, my friends, is brilliant. There Are Cats In This Book is a glorious lovely thing that had me giggling as I turned the pages. It is a very straightforward premise; the cats in the book are waiting for somebody
Lisa Vegan
Well, here’s a case when I seem to disagree with most Goodreads members about this book. It was just ok for me. The interactive flaps were cute, but too flimsy (too easy to tear) for the very young child targeted audience. It was cute but I didn’t find it very entertaining and I think there are better interactive books out there for the picture book set. AND, I do like cats so that was not my issue with it.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
A book that made me feel like I was two! The thrill and squeal of two.

I love the play of the page cuts and flaps. (The parent in me was relieved that the lower right hand corner was often rounded off, which I'm imagining is baby-finger-friendlier. Then the parent cringed at the box that any baby would want to open isn't a box that can open.)

I made all the big babies in my life read it and everybody loved it.
Lynn
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderful pop-up action in this charming book as the reader plays with three cats who tangle yarn, investigate boxes, have a pillow fight and are swept away by a tidal wave of fish. This is a book for sitting on laps - not so much for story hours - as little ones will want to turn the pages themselves.
Darla
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grand-kids
interactive lift the flap fun
The Bougie Twins
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun book! Non-stop giggle fest while reading to my 3 1/2 year-old twins.
Louisa May
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a really fun interpretation of a pop-up book. I teaches the basic skills of how to turn pages in the correct fashion, in a fun way. The book also allows for some fun questions and answers.
The vocabulary enables new readers to explore for themselves.
Brett
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't even with this one. So much to adore.
Helen Taylor
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-picture-books
Wonderly tactile and fun. A great variation on the flap book
Sadia Mansoor
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Flappy flappy books... oh I sooo love them! <3

Here..enjoy the book about 3 cats ^_^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEEZf...
Jess El-Zeftawy
Ok. This book was awesome. And, adorable. We loved it. The cats were fun and the narrative was engaging enough that my 3 yo was into it. Some of the flaps did seem a little delicate and they ripped easy but our copy is from library so this book is well loved. The story was great, a bit unexpected, and illustrations were awesome and this one got two thumbs up from us. 👍👍
Joan
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cat lovers and story time readers
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
After wandering through this book, I immediately checked who had it. I ordered it as part of the Opening Day Collection for a new branch in our system. After congratulating myself for my brilliance, I immediately shot off an email to the person buying picture books suggesting she buy more copies if possible, if only for the New Main library opening next year. This book is just utterly charming! The person who recommended it to me said she had a child who was so entranced by the book, she came an ...more
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This is a great book, conceptually, textually, and pictorially! I would have given it a 4.5 or even 5 rating, IF ONLY the paper engineering had been better -- the choice of not very sturdy paper, the excessive glue on some pages (two pages came glued together) and the careless placement of some of the edges of the flaps all contribute to reduce the "usefulness" of this book. A toddler book meant for little hands (with strength enough to tear each flap off of the page on the first encounter) shou ...more
Vicki
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
There are flaps with cats hiding and doing different cat activities which is fun. I shared this book during PreSchool Story Time at the library and felt I lost this age group during this reading. Perhaps this book would come across better with a one on one reading.
Carissa
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
CUTE! Interact with three cats who want you to play with them. My favorite page is the yarn page where you "throw" a ball of yarn at one of the cats and he says "Oof!"

If you like this book, you may like "There Are No Cats In This Book" by the same author.
KC
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute flip-the-flap kitty cats.
Mary
I really didn't think this would be a good storytime book but the kids are loving it! They are glued to every page turn! They really like these cats (and the cats like them).
Becky
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: The cats aren't on this page. The cats aren't on this page either. They're on the next page. They'd love to play with you. They're very friendly.

Premise/plot: In Viviane Schwarz's There Are Cats In This Book, readers meet three cats: Moonpie, Tiny, and Andre. These three cats want to play with YOU the reader. Will you play with them? (Please say yes!)

My thoughts: This picture book is interactive. It's addressed directly to readers. There are pages to turn and flaps to lift. For
Pam
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hate being a spoilsport but authors and publishers, who write and publish children's books in general and especially books about pets, need to be hyper aware about safety and what messages the children are picking up from the story and its illustrations. This story sends the message that all cats want to play all the time. The book talks about playing with string/yarn with cats when that is a very dangerous play toy! I loved that the book was colorful and that the pages flipped open to show th ...more
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very fun book. I really enjoyed reading it to groups of parents and two-year-olds, and they enjoyed it too. It really is a very cute book, especially if you know cats and their fondness for boxes and yarn. The interactive nature of this book would make it really fun to read with a child on your lap. I was worried that the kids in storytime might rip pages, so I did not have them turn the pages, but I did have them blow the cats dry and blow them kisses. It seemed that the book left them with a l ...more
Kira Dickson