Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  8,782 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
Illustrated in full color. This car-and- truck-filled alphabet extravaganza that starts with an ambulance and ends with a zippercar, is shaped like Lowly Worm's applemobile.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published October 3rd 1990 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z

Joe
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
An entomological deconstruction of America's obsession with speed and motion. Poses the highway as a cite of disordered exchange and anxiety. The motorist is both weeping and laughing knowing disaster is inevitable. Trucks become pickles. Pickles become trucks. Hellish.
Kathleen
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally put children's books on Goodreads.

This is an exception because I have three boys, each eight years apart, and I have probably read this books a few hundred times, including at least once a day for the last few weeks.

It is amazing and awful at the same time. It takes forever to read because it is so involved and detailed, in addition to being 70 or so pages long. We have gone through a few copies, and my husband now refuses to read it because he says he would never bring it int
MostlyDelores
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Read this to both kids approximately 18 million times, looking for Goldbug on every page.

Mistress Mouse and her minuscule tow truck are the unsung heroes of intricate Busytown traffic.
Dominika Mat
Bez względu na to czy jesteście fanami serialu "Tropiciele zagadek" czy też jeszcze go nie znacie, warto zaprzyjaźnić się z postaciami stworzonymi przez Richarda Scarry na potrzeby tej kreskówki. W wersji książkowej mieszkańcy Pośpiechowa przemieszczają się wszelkiej maści pojazdami i maszynami, przy czym głównymi bohaterami jest rodzinka świnek, wybierająca się na przejażdżkę.

"Auta, maszyny, pojazdy i wszystko do jazdy" to 68 stron bogato ilustrowanych przygód z motoryzacją i niezwykłymi maszy
Tiffani
My daughter loves having this book read to her! She knows most of it by heart but still loves having it read.
Francis
I read this to my son almost every night. He loves finding goldbug on every page.
Hiba Yuki
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chimu-and-mommy
Haven't read the book we just flipped through it naming most of the cars. There is just so much in this book, we'll have to revisit it a couple times before we can finish the whole thing. :)
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is currently my 2-year-old son's favorite book, so I'm reading it every day. Figured I'd better mark it down here. I know he is following in good footsteps since it was also one of my favorites at his age. Goldbug is on every page and he can find him immediately. I'm very proud.
Here are some highlights:
"bug!" - any bug, not just Goldbug.
"uh-oh!" - a car is on its side, or upside down.
"oh no!" - there is a big accident.
"that car" - whatever car Goldbug is in.
"truck!" - there are a lot of tru
Bucko
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was one of the books my parents read to me and my brother when we were very young. It is interesting to see how non-linear this book is. The story is very loose, and the pages are very busy. I had a lot of fun finding Goldbug on each page. Probably the strangest thing for me was opening the book and getting a whiff of the way it smelled. It smelled the same as it did over 25 years ago. It was a surreal experience. I was looking for nostalgia and found it with this book. Good stuff.
Jenna Waldman
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is our breakfast companion book, known to my son as 'huge book'. It is a 'huge' book, filled with many illustrations of Scarry's imagined (and some real) trucks, planes, trains, and vehicles of all kinds. He loves having me read the story, looking for the hidden 'Goldbug' in each page spread, and coming up with his own names for the vehicles. Lots to look at, like most of Scarry's books, so we spend a lot of time with it. This was originally a library pick, that got renewed a few times, the ...more
Josiah
May 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a delight, surprising in its level of real humor. The ambience created by the diverse cars on the highway and the scenes that they pass is something special, and I find that this Richard Scarry book holds up very nicely over time. My family and I have been determinedly searching for Goldbug in these pages from as far back as I can remember. This book is inextricably tied to a lot of good memories for me, but it stands up quite well independent of those memories, too.
Mark Matthews
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five year old can find Gold Bug better than me, and I am assuming it is due to some sort of childhood golden innocence, and that when she gets jaded and has a few dreams crushed, the little guy will get harder and harder to see until he finally disappears on the page.

Nothing Gold Can Stay(?) I will do my best to help the golden critter of wonder stay in both of our lives.
Jan
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no better book to read with a child than this. Lay down on your tummies and flip through the pages, looking for Goldbug and enjoying the trip along with the Pig family. It's fun to point out different things going on on the wildly busy pages! Thank heaven for Richard Scarry!
Kami Li
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it.
Kelly
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book!!!
ThatLeo
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Ba]nana! Bus! Bus! Choo-choo!
Catharine B
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent hours reading this to my kids. In case you didn't know, gold bug is on every busy page. A wonderful book to read to a curious toddler to pre-schooler.
Jon
Feb 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Awesome people.
It was awesome when I was four and read it every single night.
Ezra
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are always looking for Goldbug, but what is Goldbug looking for?
Katie
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
I remembered this one from childhood, and my kid also loves it. Lots to look at and talk about on each page. And of course finding Goldbug is fun!
Hapsari Darmastuti
Oh My God! I stumbled upon this book on the internet today and all the memory came flooding back. This was my absolute favorite book to read when I was a child. As a picture book, this was absolutely delightful. There's just so many little details, secrets, and easter eggs packed in a 70-page picture book that I absolutely adored. I used to read it together with my brother over and over again while trying to find the golden bug. We also used to play make believe that we're actually going somewhe ...more
Arthi
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, I'm not overawed with this book, but my 2 1/2 year old is absolutely obsessed with it! And who's to argue with a toddler?
There are a gazillion creative illustrations, with equally whacky snippets to go with them. This makes for hours (yes, I said hours) of 'reading', observing new nuances every time you see a page. As for me, I'd rate anything that enamors a toddler for more than 5 minutes a solid 5 stars!
Margaret Chind
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Level A
My son is working through the book list from Memoria Press Preschool and this is a brilliant one in the list. He's listening, not reading but this book is ideal for him. The chunky shape, the things that go theme, the loveable Richard Scarry characters from my own childhood. Wonderful.

Bought for our preschool box of books.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: requested, f-and-g
Surprisingly this book is too silly for us right now - as my almost-two-year old is still learning about "real" vehicles, he doesn't seem to appreciate the whimsical or unusual ones found in the book, and there's too much going on to tackle. We'll revisit.
Kim
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid, toddler
A classic from my childhood. Boys love it too.
Breyanna Hill
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this book each letter from the alphabet is used to name a type of car. Great for learning new vocabulary!
Karen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A lot to see and talk about on each page, you can look for Goldbug, and as an added bonus there's actually a story that you can follow through the book.
Dianna
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My two-year-old's current favorite. Love the pickle truck and the banana car!
Calvin
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A constant favorite. Calvin (3) is a big fan of trucks. This book is well loved, and well worn, already, though it is only about 1 year old!
Oliver wilson
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the crocodile car
Refrigerated truck 1 1 Jun 22, 2017 03:05AM
  • Hug
  • Two Little Trains
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more
More about Richard Scarry