Start by marking “Burials” as Want to Read:
Burials

Mary Anna Evans

Burials

(Faye Longchamp #10)

A woman waits under five feet of dirt-a woman who is by now nothing but bones stained the deep red of Oklahoma clay. A delicate silver necklace, a handful of ancient pearls, and a priceless figurine rest with her. Twenty-nine years is a long time to wait for a proper burial. Faye Longchamp-Mantooth, who runs a small and shakily financed archaeological consulting firm with ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by Poisoned Pen Press

Start your review of Burials
Sue
This is an excellent continuation of a really good series that combines a few things I enjoy: an intelligent, interesting female protagonist; mysteries that keep me involved; archaeology as an ever-present plot element; many other characters I am interested in learning more about. On top of that, in this episode, there is incidental information about the Creek Nation and their history, an area that is always of interest to me.

Faye and her husband Joe are in Oklahoma, he to visit his
Vallery Feldman
I enjoyed this story. I give it a guarded recommendation. Earlier books in series are better.
Kat Lebo
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Burials (Faye Longchamp #10)
by Mary Anna Evans
Kindle Edition

There is something magical about an author that can make even the villains of a piece likeable. Mary Anna Evans fills her stories with real-life characters, every day situations, and ties them all up in a big bow of rich research and heartfelt emotions.

In this episode, Faye and Joe go to Oklahoma to visit Joe's father Sly and for Faye to work at an archeological dig on the Muskogee (Creek) tribal lands. The arch
Joyce
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and 1 / 2 stars

Dr. Faye Longchamp Mantooth, an archeologist and her husband Joe are flying from Florida to Sylacauga, Oklahoma where Joe is originally from to visit his father Sly and to scatter Joe’s mother’s ashes. She also picks up a gig assisting in an archeological dig. What they find are some rare artifacts and a body.

The body is that of Dr. Sophia Townsend. It was thought that she packed up and abandoned the dig some twenty-nine years earlier. She was murdered and left in t
Sandra
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Many thanks to Poisoned Pen Press and Netgalley for this ACR. I have read all in this excellent series and witnessed the development and growth of this remarkable character. This may be my favorite as Dr. Faye Longchamp-Mantooth goes all the way to Oklahoma to solve a murder almost three decades old. Wherever Faye goes, murder follows - great read and I love the archaeological information as well.
Pamela Cathcart
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nor'easter is plowing through Richmond and put most of us without power; and me with the last twenty pages of Burials on my dwindling batteried phone. Don't you know I'm using the last juice to finish the mind bending conclusion of this latest chapter of Joe and Faye's adventures. Says it all, doesn't it? If you are new to Evans' fab series, do yourself a favor and read all ten; I spent the last few weeks rereading all in anticipation of Burials, and it was a delicious winter project. Any writer ...more
Cherei
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book peaked my interest as I am married to an environmental engineer who assisted in getting Native American artifacts returned to the rightful tribes. I'm also of Native American descent. So, "Burial" had quite a few hooks for me. And, I must say.. it totally delivered. I loved that the author doesn't make the mistake of advising how we feel about our own heritage. It was a good solid thriller! If anyone has an interest in archeology.. and how a "dig" is properly conducted.. then, Burial n ...more
Linda
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How long does a person's mysterious disappearance reverberate among those who knew her and those who thought they knew her. Then her body is found hidden in an archaeological site about to be reopened after she vanished so suddenly and Faye find herself drawn into a murder.

This is an exceptionally written story that kept me guessing right up to the ending and that's the way I like them. I love this series and if you haven't had the chance to try it, please do. You won't be disappoint
Linda Smatzny
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Faye Longchamp-Mantooth and her husband, Joe Mantooth have gone to Oklahoma to visit Joe's father, Sly Mantooth. While there Faye takes a consulting job on a dig on Muscogee(Creek) and discovers the remains of Dr. Sophia Townsend who disappeared 29 years ago. Faye is then hired by the police to help with the remains. Things being to get difficult as people seem to be lying about something.The book went more into the background of Joe. The book was a quick easy read.
Sharon Buxton
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A. fiction, mystery, archeology, Oklahoma, Mississippian culture, series, (Faye Longchamp, #10)
Tracey S Choat
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 Stars

I've read all of the books in this series and have enjoyed them all. The first book is still my favorite.
VickiLee
This was not a hold-on-to-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of read. Rather, it begins with an archeological dig restarting after 29 years of being left deserted. Faye and Joe are in Oklahoma visiting Sly (Joe's father) and Faye picked up a bit of work at the dig to help pay expenses for the trip.
Things get complicated very quickly, and old hurts and betrayals begin to surface. One thing is certain - someone is trying to keep the dig from happening. The novel was a comfortable read, but it did s
Richard Becker
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series rocks! I have enjoyed the Faye Longchamp stories since I read the first one. Faye is one gutsy lady and she proves it again in this one. I love the archaeology in this story and the determination in Faye and other characters to solve the murder mystery that lied buried for many years. Her husband's story is fleshed out once again as we meet his father in his own element, in Oklahoma. I can't wait for the next one.
Marilyn Shea
An archaeological dig with the archaeologist possibly murdered and interred among the ancient artifacts. A small community of members of the Creek Nation, some of whom want to document the relics of their past and others who want to leave the sites of their ancestors undisturbed. I had trouble keeping the characters straight, especially two who were both the same age and profession and whose involvement in the original excavation were identical. Not a bad story.
Kay Wright
There's a lot of archeological detail to all the novels in this series. This one takes place at a dig in Oklahoma that is being reopened many years after it was originally dug. Surprise! The archeologist who disappeared thirty years earlier turns up (literally) when the backhoe starts removing dirt. Lots of intrigue but not much tension. Evans is not strong in character development so you have little passion for Faye, Joe or anybody else. Not terrible, not fabulous. Kinda meh.
Bobbie N
Faye Longchamp and her husband have returned to his father's home in order to scatter his mother's ashes, and Faye is helping to finance the trip by hiring on as a consutant on the re-pening of an archeological site on Muscogee (Creek) land. When the dig turns up the bones of an archeologist who had disappeared 29 years before, the tribal police chief hires Faye as a consultant for his investigation.
Virginia Kessen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading through all 10 books. I'd read 3 or 4 through the years but really enjoyed reading them back to back. I love archaeology and enjoy spending time with Faye and Joe. Looking forward to #11
sl337litchair
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with this series. Starting reading them out of order with Plunder. As soon as I finished that book I was hooked and so interested to see how these characters started. So back to the beginning and now I can't wait for the new one to come out.
Michelle
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, one of my favorite series, a strong female archaeologist lead character, enough said!
Carol
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was #10 in the Faye Longchamp Mantooth series. It took me a little longer to get interested in, but I am looking forward to more about these characters.
Brucie
better than ordinary, some tedious family history passages, female characters have extreme physical and personality features, narrator emphasizes the weak and shallow sides of men.
Miki
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dry and long-winded. It's like being told about a dream by someone who you don't really like all the much.
Patsy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
audio
Anita Bombard
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've ever read this author and would read her again! Great story that kept you dangling between nobody did it or everybody's guilty.
Stef
Excellent suspense, crime fighting mystery. Faye goes beyond her abilities and tries to save everyone around her and gets injured sometimes as well.
Mam
Nov 09, 2017
Colleen
May 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Cruel Winter (County Cork #5)
  • Prologue to Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #2)
  • Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot Mystery #7)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Singapore Sapphire (Harriet Gordon Mystery #1)
  • Chasing Shadows (South Shores, #1)
  • Bomber's Moon (Joe Gunther #30)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple, #12)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide, #5)
  • Endangered Species (Anna Pigeon, #5)
  • The Old Buzzard Had It Coming (Alafair Tucker, #1)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Desperate Creed (Ryder Creed #5)
Mary Anna Evans is the author of the Faye Longchamp archaeological mysteries, Artifacts, Relics, Effigies, Findings, Floodgates, Strangers, Plunder, Rituals, Isolation, Burials and, coming in April 2018, Undercurrents. Her standalone thriller, Wounded Earth, features environmentalist Larabeth McLeod in a duel to the death against a stalker who calls himself Babykiller.
Mary Anna's work has won the

Faye Longchamp (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Isolation (Faye Longchamp, #9)
  • Undercurrents (Faye Longchamp #11)