Start by marking “The Resolutions” as Want to Read:
The Resolutions

The Resolutions

New Years are for fresh starts, but Jess just wants everything to go back to the way it was.

From hiking trips, to four-person birthday parties, to never-ending group texts, Jess, Lee, Ryan, and Nora have always been inseparable—and unstoppable. But now, with senior year on the horizon, they’ve been splintering off and growing apart. And so, as always, Jess makes a plan.

Rei
Published November 13th 2018 by HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Resolutions, please sign up.
Kate I believe from left to right it’s Nora, Jess, Ryan, and Lee

Dahlia
Such a cute friendship-centric read. I particularly like how the book deals with each character's relationship with being "Latinx enough," and the fact that half the MCs are queer (Ryan is gay and Nora is bi and in a very cute f/f relationship the whole book) definitely did not hurt. Nor do the food descriptions! Fave parts were definitely the little chat excerpts; I feel like that's when voice kicked in the most.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
1.5 Stars
"Give yourself room to breathe. To make mistakes. Eventually you will see that you were always there, you just couldn't recognize yourself yet."

What’s kind of ridiculous is that I don’t remember finishing this book, but my notes tell me otherwise so I guess I did? My draw to The Resoultions story was no surprise, the strong friendship at its heart, and that was probably the only thing I liked. I liked how they made resolutions for each other, but I didn’t actually care for the char
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

This was cute. I think that people who are a little more ride-or-die contemporary fans will probably appreciate it even more than I did, so keep that in mind. Still, I liked that it explored the different lives of these four friends as they navigated the highs and lows of high school, family, romance, and of course, their relationships with each other. So let us dive into what I enjo
Alexa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so intrigued by the premise — four best friends who pick new year’s resolutions for each other and what happens over the course of a year afterward. Happy to say it lived up to my high hopes! This one is a story about relationships — with your family, friends and yourself. About how to face heartbreak and fear and pressure. About finding your way. About growing up and growing together. I thought it was pretty great!
Zoraida
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun, thoughtful examination on self discovery.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ll write a review later this week but bless u Mia

edited review:
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Review:
Sometimes you're on the verge of greatness and need a little push from someone you care about to see how amazing you really are. That's the basic premise that Mia García brings with The Resolutions. Four friends challenge each other on New Year's Eve by writing resolutions for each other. These goals are written to see each other thrive, especially as Senior year and graduation are fast approaching.

First, w
Samantha (WLABB)
I don't even know where to begin with this book, because I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!

I was looking for a story of friendship, and this book gave me that ten-fold, PLUS a look at some really beautiful and meaningful personal journeys.

Jess, Ryan, Nora, and Lee had been friends for different lengths of time, but there was no doubt that each one held a solid place in their group. They had gathered once again for the annual New Year's Eve celebration, and instead of making their own resolutions, this year, t
Alyssa Nelson
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Goodreads. This is an honest review.*

The Resolutions was a slow start for me, but I ended up really enjoying this book. The characters just pulled me into their world and I couldn’t help but to fall in love with all of them.

This book has a lot of great things going for it. First, it’s beautifully diverse, with bi-racial representation, and a couple of main characters who are on various parts of the LGBTQIA+ spectrum. Garcia has crea
Lana Pattinson
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I read an advance copy*

⭐4 amazing POVs
⭐Pink hair
⭐Massive shipping between (redacted)
⭐Need Puerto Rican postres STAT
⭐I want to give all these kids a big hug
11/10 would recommend!
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
4.5 stars.

I have a lot to say about this book but I don't know how to put it in words. Just know... that this is officially a big fave.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Over all I enjoyed this book and it was good. It wasn’t transformative for me but I’m grown and my growing pains are far behind me. But for a young Latin kid trying to find their way? This book could make all the difference and I’m so glad that it exists in the world.
Kathryn
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Plot

This book was so good that I was inspired to do what the characters did. Jess feels like her groups of friends are drifting apart with their busy lives. So, to bring the group back together and to have some fun she declares that their resolutions for the year will be done differently. Instead of everyone saying what they want to complete for the year the group will get together and give them two resolutions. Each person had a resolution that was specific to something the other friends felt w
Jeannette
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, wishlist
I didn't realize before beginning this book that it was a book about Latin American teens. That's a concept that would have meant the world to me as a kid, and even as an adult I was immediately delighted. The premise is also pretty fun: four friends make up New Year's Resolutions for each other and the consequences that ensue from trying to follow them.

What I found interesting about this story is the way it shows how, sometimes, the people who love us see who we are much more clearly than we do
Carolina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND TRULY ONE OF THE BEST YA CONTEMPORARY BOOKS I'VE EVER READ. I WANNA CRY BIG FAT TEARS OF JOY.
Rachel
Real rating: 3.5 stars. I liked it!!
Francesca Flores
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg!! I loved this book! These characters and their stories were so realistic and heartfelt, I couldn't help but fall in love with them!

My sweet bebé Ryan who deserves all the happiness in the world!!!!

Nora, who I am so proud of for picking her own path in life! Lee, who had such a beautiful growth arc I could cry about it and, well, I did. And JESS!! Oml I just wanted to wrap her in a blanket and give her hot chocolate for the entire novel. Her resolution was so fitting and I'm so happy for her
Maraia
I love friendship books so much, especially when they're also diverse!

Aida Salazar
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell for all of the characters in this book! I saw myself, my friends and the evergreen drama that makes up teenage years in beautiful display. Don't sleep on this wonderful story!
Natasha Diaz
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great read. The way García navigates four POV's with ease is nothing short of incredible. A must read contemporary!
NoNieqa Ramos
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing because it reflects the world I want children to live in--a world where parents of LGBTQIA+ kids love and accept their children unconditionally, where all kids get to forge their paths and explore their own ambitions, where kids with mental illness, with support, can be O.K., where Latinx kids are shown as smart, talented, nuanced, ad intersectional...
Vee ♔WitchStitchWhich♔
How freaking cute is this cover? I need it.
McKinlay Dennis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe 4.5 but i'm rounding down cause i'm mad. May round up when i'm less mad. RTC.
Rachel
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though the middle got a bit long, I loved this book for the multiple POVs, diverse characters, and serious themes that were developed in a funny and lighthearted setting.

Full review: https://picturethisliteraturecom.word...
Belly (Aspiringliterati)

Review originally published here : https://aspiringliteratiblog.wordpres...

The Resolutions is about a group of 4 Latinx high school friends who are trying to navigate life and its problems while remaining as close as ever. To do that, Jess, the planner and touchstone of the group, decides they will all write New Year’s resolutions for each other that will improve their lives and thus begins our story.

The book is told through the povs of all 4 friends and while most time I struggle with that kind
Sofia
I started this in January and finished it in August. Three stars might be a bit generous but the thing is, there isn’t much really wrong with this book and it had really good intentions. I just couldn’t find it in me to be at all invested in the plot or characters.

I loved that this was friendship centered. I loved the rep in here (all four main characters are Latinx, one of them is also half-Taiwanese and gay, one is a bisexual Puerto Rican girl with an adorable girlfriend, and one is half Black
Kimberley
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lee, Nora, Jess, and Ryan are at a crossroads. As their junior year of high school ends, Jess is worried they won't remain as close as they've always been if they don't do something that keeps them intimately bound to each other. As a solution, she decides it'll be fun if they make each others New Year's Resolutions. The decision to do so turns out to have consequences greater than any of them expected.

I really liked this one. Mia Garcia wrote each character with such distinctive voices and per
Kyle
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
Alright, let's talk about this book.

I don't know that I liked it, necessarily - I mean, it was fine - but I can't deny that it was well written. Mia Garcia is a good writer.

I just don't know if this is the right genre for her.

My issue is not with the fact that it's all about people living out their new years resolutions, but the fact that the high school students sound like they're pretentious college students. Seriously, they're all deep thinkers who want the best for one another and make grand
Jessie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is such a good friendship book.

I cried on the subway over Jess's plot and character arc. (view spoiler)
Danielle
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-cafe-podcast
(We received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

This new year, Jess has a new plan to keep her four best friends together. The four of them will make New Year’s resolutions for each other. She, Nora, Ryan and Lee all have each other’s best interest at heart and give resolutions to help them embrace life or get over old relationships. But, those good intentions don’t always go as they planned.

We reviewed this book on our 11/30 ep. of the YA Café
Ray
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this would be an appropriate read for Jan 1 and I had high hopes for this book - a diverse/own voices contemporary YA about a group of friends doing dumb fun (and harmless!) stuff, a New Year's-flavored Latinx Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants if you will, which is right up my alley.

...while not bad per se, I was still rather disappointed. Instead of staying together as a group or being totally separate (ala Sisterhood), the characters are so in-and-out of each other's lives it made it

• Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • This Is Kind of an Epic Love Story
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Closest I've Come
  • The Art of French Kissing
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Home and Away