Start by marking “Write Naked: A Bestseller's Secrets to Writing Romance & Navigating the Path to Success” as Want to Read:

Learn how to transform your passion for writing into a career. New York Times best-selling author Jennifer Probst reveals her pathway to success, from struggling as a new writer to signing a seven-figure deal. Write Naked intermingles personal essays on craft with down-to-earth advice on writing romance in the digital age. Probst will teach you how to:
Commit to your curren
Published March 31st 2017 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Write Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Naked

Theresa Alan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This had a lot of good reminders, however, the first seven chapters of this book weren’t helpful to me—they might be to you depending on where you are in your career and how many other writing manuals you’ve already read. The first seven chapters in particular are heavily autobiographical, and I’ve already lived it and already know a lot of authors’ stories. However, after that, there is good material for keeping you going when you get frustrated.

This also might be a more helpful book if you’ve
Shelly Bell
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I shouldn't have been surprised that Write Naked would become my favorite book on writing and publishing. After all, Jennifer has been a favorite author of mine since I reviewed The Marriage Bargain all those years ago. But I couldn't have anticipated how much Write Naked would resonate with me.

I read most of it on an airplane. I think the people sitting around me thought there was something wrong with me because I kept nodding my head, laughing, and yes, I think I even cried a few tears. I rel
Donna Alward
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This ranks up with Bird by Bird and On Writing as one of my favorite books about being a writer...perhaps even moreso as it focuses on writing romance. Excellent, relateable, and inspiring.
Jennifer Shirk
I think this book should be a reading requirement for every romance writer out there.
I found myself nodding in agreement or smiling while reading this book. I really appreciated Jennifer's honesty and openness about her experiences with writing and then hitting the best seller lists, as well. No BS. Felt a connection because I thought, "here is a person who gets me as a writer".
This is a book I will go back and re-read next year and the next.
Kenya Wright
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This was more than I expected. Super helpful. I learned a lot and reviewed several things that I already knew. However, the best part was reading her journey and understanding that we all deal with failure and success, but in the end we always should stay true to our writing and ourselves!

Great read for any writer at any level, but especially romance writers.
Norma
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best. Writing. Book. Ever.
This book isn't going to give you a magic formula to write a bestseller but it's going to inspire you to take on the task.
I loved it. I'm inspired. I. Must. Write. Now.
Aly
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
At once an essay, a tiny touch of memoir and self-help book, add quotes from fellow authors to explain and reinforce the points and you have a very good starting point for aspirant writers (or not) to begin a career and learn what traps to avoid.

Like probably everyone on Earth, I think it would be cool to write a book and see it in stores, but I don't aspire to become a writer, and let's be honest; I'm too anxious and have not enough patience and I'm too lazy for the hard work it sure is, to ma
Jane Ashley Converse
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on writing with such an honest, open, and often humorous back story of Probst writing career. From her failures to success. Do's and dont's. And more do's and dont's.
So many eye opening subjects that had me reading chapters again, writing down major points and even getting a highlighter out.
While keeping things on a serious, business tone throughout the book she is able to hit every topic an aspiring author, or a veteran author would have. While also telling laugh out loud
Paullette
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid craft book that spends equal time on inspiration and modern marketing strategies. It helps if you are already familiar with Probst's work (which I was not) or don't plan to read it at all, since she primarily uses examples from her own books to demonstrate various writing principles; I had to skip most of those because I didn't want to read spoilers! The section on success is starkly honest about the highs and lows of becoming a bestselling author, which deglamorizes the fantasy a bit, but ...more
Victoria Blacke
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
If this book sounds intriguing but you are hesitating because you are worried the focus will be entirely on the romance genre than I would encourage you to "take the plunge" and buy the book. Any writer in any genre can learn and benefit from Probst's honest reflection on the successes, failures and lessons learned so far of her career.
Kissed by Ink
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It doesn't matter whether you write romance, or horror. This book is meant for writers. Period. On the pages, I found inspiration to get my butt back to what I love. Thanks Jennifer for reminding me what's important!!!
Leigh Kramer
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
While there wasn't necessary any advice I haven't encountered in other writing books, I appreciated this book for two reasons. First, Probst has experience in self-publishing and in traditional publishing. It's rare to find a writing book (beyond how-tos) about the former, much less the combination. Second, this is specifically written from the lens of writing romance. Romance writers don't get enough respect. I've learned so much by simply observing their marketing prowess and I enjoyed the ins ...more
Katherine Owen
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fabulous resource for writers. It is one of the best I have read about the writing process, publishing your work, and a writer's life. Loved it! Thank you so much, Jennifer Probst for writing a book that is both honest and encouraging.
Ida
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I began reading 'Write Naked' - I knew I was going to struggle to put it down. Jennifer Probst manages to engage us with an honest, funny and insightful guide to help fellow writers (like myself!) navigate our way through writing and publishing.

Probst's advice is extremely useful and comforting for both aspiring and seasoned authors. The manner in which she has expressed her thoughts and ideas is not only eloquent, but reminds us of what it means to have a powerful 'voice' when we wr
Lydia Crane
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As an author just getting my feet wet writing in the romance genre, this book has instantly become my holy grail and I knew it would be within the first few pages. Documenting her entire journey, Jennifer actually got 'naked' herself by sharing exactly what it takes to become a best-selling romance author in today's world. By the time I'd reached the second half of this book, I felt like Jennifer was a dear friend, cheering me on all while coaching me with very personal, valuable insight and wri ...more
Rachel Brimble
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Write Naked is so much more than a 'how to' guide, so much more than an inspirational or motivational bible. Between the pages of this wonderful book, you will find not only Jennifer's words of wisdom and experience, but other authors' nuggets, too.

From characterization to plot to promotion, Write Naked gives both newbie and experienced writers a place to not just start from, but also flourish. I have just finished the first draft of my twenty-first novel - I can hardly be seen as new to the bus
Marcie Robinson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best writing craft books I've read in a long time. This book has a mix of the author's journey and writing and makes you feel you too can be successful.
Kristen Koster
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction, writing
Loved Probst's voice and the common sense, no-nonsense advice of part I: being an author. It reminded me a lot of Dorothea Brande's On Becoming an Author -- even down to the feeling of sitting there and listening to her speak directly to me... but UPDATED to include indie publishing!

Part II wasn't bad, just didn't provide me with as much new info or insights. I liked the chapters here where Probst dug in deeper and gave more personal analogies. Writing muscle, the right to suck, the sewage and b
C.J. English
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Super insightful and motivating for aspiring authors. 🙌🏼
Sharon
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, writing
I am a big believer on reading books about the craft of writing. Even if you only pick up one gem that you didn't have before, it's worth the time.

This book is jam-packed with great information, with a clear focus on the romance author. From examples on raising the stakes, to recommendations to write outside your comfort zone (even if it's never published) to stretch yourself, there's something for authors at every level. Each chapter ends with a recommended exercise to help you grow as a writer
Bon Tom
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of examples the author chose to illustrate her points made me cringe (especially those containing puppies) and wonder, who in the hell would want to read such books, let alone think they're good. However, the points being made are good and the book is full of wisdom. Strong recommendation to all wannabe writers.
Sam
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

I really liked this. There is a lot of good advice, and personal anecdotes relating to the advice. Reading this was easy, and pretty fast. I read most of it during 10 minute breaks at work. Because of how I read it, I didn't do any of the writing exercises in the book, but I did at least think about each one for a while.
Amanda Bennett
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fun and dynamic book on writing. While this is geared toward writing in the romance genre, there are some gems on navigating the writing industry, the importance of networking, and sitting in the chair to ‘write the damn book.’ I recommend this to anyone who considers themselves a writer.
Wendy Hewlett
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those resources that should be in every writer's toolkit!

In sharing her journey to becoming a #1 New York Times Best-Selling Author, Jennifer Probst gives us advice and encouragement on getting there ourselves. So much of what Jennifer shares in Write Naked resonated with me that I found myself thinking, "Ah-ha! Here are my people."

One of my favorite chapters is "Trademarks of Best-selling Authors" where Jennifer surveyed more than fifty best-selling authors. I would love to atten
Steph Poe
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I am a writer and am working on my very first romance novel. (Sooo close to being finished!) This book has been great to help guide me through the process of writing and publishing. I feel like so many questions I had are answered in this book. Jennifer is so talented and an inspiration. This isn't like a "Do this, don't do this" type of book. This is a guide book. She opens up and reveals parts of herself that not everyone would be willing to do, and I love that about her! I love ...more
Tauri Cox
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Romance is not my strong suit in my writing. So when I read the subtitle "A bestseller's secrets to writing romance and navigating the path to success" I was pumped.

The first half reads like an autobiography or memoir of Probst's journey thus far. I thought it was fine, interesting enough. There were some very relatable sections. But it wasn't why I was reading. It lasted too long and I wanted to get to the good stuff. She even acknowledged it with several sentences along the lines of "I know y
marieno
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make. I didn't like Jennifer Probst style the first time I read her books. I bought the first three books of her Marriage to a Billionaire series and I didn't like them.
Seven months later, the cover of a book got my eyes in the bookstore, Searching For Someday. I picked it up and then I saw Jennifer Probst name on it... hum... I look on the shelf, the book was next to the Marriage to a Billionaire series... The cover was that beautiful to me that I read the back-cover... M
Jade
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Write Naked's cover is a little misleading. And I'm not talking about the pink shirt on a hanger. It's called "A Bestseller's Guide to Writing Romance" first, but the book is really more concerned with writers getting through the muck of writing to become bestselling authors. Since I've read many books about the writing process, I found the actual content disappointing.

I was looking for a craft book specifically focused on the romance genre so that I could improve those elements in my own work.
Sarah Swofford
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This. This book is what I needed. I am in the final stages of a seemingly never-ending first draft of a romance novel. This book has everything. The story of Jennifer Probst's writing career, what success means and how it is ever evolving, the pitfalls of writer-envy, how to manage social media as a writer (yes, you have to do it), and so much more.

What I really love, and what I really needed are the sections about work. How what really matters is the writing that you do when you are alone in th
White Hot Reads
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prof-dev, mustread
If you're considering writing a book, have written a book or even many books, this is for you. Jennifer Probst breaks down the realities of being an author in todays romance community. She brings her friends along for the ride and they provide insight, laughs and even frank conversation for all of us.

As someone who has a first draft done and many more ideas, I've wondered for a while whether I would ever publish. But now, all I can think is I need to share this book with my author friends. The

• Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration: Learn to Nurture a Lifestyle of Creativity (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 5)
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • A Natural History of the Romance Novel
  • Vex, Hex, Smash, Smooch: Let Verbs Power Your Writing
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice
  • Wrede on Writing: Tips, Hints, and Opinions on Writing
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors
  • Writing New Adult Fiction
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • Final Fantasy VIII Official Strategy Guide
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
Jennifer Probst wrote her first book at twelve years old. She bound it in a folder, read it to her classmates, and hasn’t stopped writing since. She took a short hiatus to get married, get pregnant, buy a house, get pregnant again, pursue a master’s in English Literature, and rescue two shelter dogs. Now she is writing again.

She is the NYT, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of
“Being a writer is an important job because we bring emotion and imagination into a world filled with endless, inane chatter.” 0 likes
“The ending to your book is different from the ending to your plot.” 0 likes