Start by marking “The Complete Vampire Chronicles (Vampire Chronicles, #1-#4)” as Want to Read:
The Complete Vampire Chronicles (Vampire Chronicles, #1-#4)

The Complete Vampire Chronicles

(The Vampire Chronicles #1-4)

Lestat, Claudia, Louis, Akasha, Armand, and Memnoch. Your favorite night stalkers are back, and bundled together in one terrific boxed set, that collects Anne Rice's four bestselling titles from her beloved Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, and The Tale of the Body Thief.

It's a set to stir the blood of all fans of

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1920 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Vampire Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Vampire Chronicles

kailin
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These are such a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know why vampires are so fascinating--these books, the Twilight Series, True Blood (an excellent HBO series), The Lost Boys, Salem's Lot, etc., but I got hooked on these books when I was in high school. Though I have not re-read them since, I remember being so enraptured by Lestat and the dark and mysterious vampire world he inhabits that I would gobble up the pages during my lunch break at Beaver Country Day school as a camp counselor. I was very ...more
Charlotte
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OK, I am a vampire whore...what can I say?
Davis Aujourd'hui
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anne Rice is superb! She has created a cast of vampires who have a moral conscience in spite of their blood thirsts. Of course, just like people in real life, some of them pursue their victims in an evil way. That is not the case with the vampire who she introduced us to in her first novel in the series, the vampire named Lestat.

I am a spiritual seeker who is traveling through this land of shadows, marked by the duality that we seem to experience in life. I am the writer of a series of outrageou
Peaches
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If ever someone asks "what is your favourite book?" I pretty much always say The Queen of the Damned, The Vampire Chronicles. I read the series for the first time quite a few years ago, and immediately fell in love...i really enjoy stories which take you back to a different time and Rice is a genius in being able to do this. I also found myself admiring and looking up to these inspiring characters. I loved how all the characters were all so unique and different and yet so connected to one anothe ...more
John Jolly
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking to read a sci-fi romance
Shelves: scifi-fiction
These were my first 'real' books I read voluntarily. I do admit back in high school I had a fetish for the dark stuff, but it wasn't just the gore, it was the romance in it all. Mixed in with a very romantic and dark display of love and certain cities was always a bit of sadness. I did read up until Memnoch The Devil, but after that kind of lost interest, guess my tastes were changing by then. Music to go with these books: U2 (Zooropa) and Cranberries (Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We ...more
Gina
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
OK - I read each book individually, but thought I might consolidate with one review for them all. Those who know me well are familiar with my slight vampire obsession (which was much more pronounced in my younger years). Anne Rice's ability to weave a tale of sensuality, beauty, darkness, anguish, love, intrigue and adventure is absolutely pleasurable. The stories span time and geographical location - description is lovely and entrancing. I love these books....
Jessica Lynne Gardner
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Anne Rice is by far my favorite author. Her writing is dark and beautiful without losing the horror factor. The philosophical nature of her vampires as well as the humanity found within them even though they feed on human blood has much inspired me. The thought of a pensive creature who by nature is a murderer gives a strange complexity and you find yourself falling in love with each of them and thier individual quirks. Truly amazing series.
Angelica
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How could I NOT love these books.Anne Rice is a suberb author. These books epitomize whats vampire novels should be: Sexy, dark, and moody. The fact that she makes the vampires more than just super natural beings, but entities with human chacteristics, emtotions, and turmoils; really lends itself to being a more approachable and likeable series. It makes you think if its not just a commentary on humanity.
Tara
May 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vampires
Shelves: favorites
I can't describe the vampire chronicles, I could not do them justice. Just take a chance and read them. They aren't for everyone. Rice's layered writing style can be somewhat suffocating for some, but it is my cuppa...tea. I can say these books have helped me through some rough times just by offering escape and although the characters are superhuman and supernatural, they grieve and love in very relatable ways.
Tink Duffy
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You fall in love with the characters from the start very hard to put down. They are fast action fast paced books that make you hungry for more and i reccoomend exploring her continued vampire books on the lives of each vampire in her books. Everytime i re-read her books i discover a deeper maening behind the character and tthe story where i first read their name ANNE RICE is one of the best writers who twist facts with intoxicating fantasy and brings it to life.....
Anna
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's the ultimate cliche, the Goth girl reading Anne Rice. Anne Rice's vampire books are so much more than just a story about a blood sucking villain. She explores religion and philosphy while quenching our appetite for the sensuality and fear associated with more vamp stories.

One of my favorite series to read and re-read.
Blue Eye
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series of books, and the adjunct books in this series. They were dark, beautiful and twisted.They maintain a powerful undertone of sensuality without the camp and cheese. Preternaturally Fabulous!!
Liam
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Although Ann Rice is a very creative author, she's not nearly as good as she thinks. The books in this series start out good, but get worse as you progress through the series. She should have done herself, and her readers, a favor and kept a good editor on staff.
Mii
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read!
Ithilluin Narbeletho
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE IT
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This set of books by itself is a solid part of the Vampire Chronicles. Currently, as far as I know, there are now 14 or 15 books in the series, but the last few I read were pretty meh. This quartet can be read on its own, and represents some of Ms. Rice's better work. My favorite would have to be Queen of the Damned, but they're all pretty good (up to and including Blood and Gold)
adam arellano
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this series and continue to read all her vampire stories.
Caroline Åsgård
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just copying my reviews on the individual books here:

I've actually never read this before! Crazy, right? The movie has been stuck in my mind since I was a little girl, so it was WAY overdue that I read it. I liked it! In some parts it gave more inside and background story compared to the movie, and in some parts not. I have no idea what the next books are about, so I'll get started on that!

A very interesting read! You get to see the other side of the story. The first book was obviously just Loui
Eric Dwyer
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Queen of the Damned was by far the best of these 4 books. Creative spin on the origin of vampires. My favorite thing about the book is that Anne somehow made cannibalizing your loved ones after they die sound totally logical. Obviously not an easy thing to do. My sister read this book before I did, I remember her telling my mother and I that she wants us to eat her if she dies and that she would do the same for us I we died first... we declined of course but thanked her for her morbid intere ...more
Debbie
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
Interview with a vampire,
Havent seen the film and after reading Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse series I was in the need of another vampire series to sink my teeth into. It didnt get me hooked straight away and I found it very dark, the main charactor Louis really struggles with his urge to kill and spends much of the book digusted at what he has become. His maker Lestat is the more interesting of the two and does nothing to help to knew vampire come to terms with his immortality. The title o
Cami
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read these back in high school. I enjoyed the near-debilitating obsession, as did my friends.
Things that are too rich, too intense, must eventually be given up and never revisited.
That said, Anne Rice has more writing talent in her little toe than most modern writers have in their whole being.
My favorite was The Queen of the Damned, but I loved the humanity of The Tale of the Body Thief. Seeing Lestat as a weak and fallible mortal was good for both of us.
Cathy
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: certain someones
I read these books when i found them for exceedingly cheap prices at our local used book store. i REALLY liked them, if I could obliterate the face of Tom Cruise as Lestat in my mind. (I just don't like him, sorry) (Tom Cruise not Lestat) (Actualy Lestat kinda rocks).
But i quit reading in the middle of Queen of the Damned because I was having the most vivid and amazing dreams in which i was, of course, a vampire.
So i changed my path to other vampire and etc. books by Christopher moore (hilario
Lyza Berry
Out of this collection, I did NOT read, the Vampire Lestat. Why, I have no clue, but the other 3 were PHENOMENAL. NOTHING remotely close to the movies (referring to Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the Damned). 10 times better then the movie. The store she weaves about vamps and their origins...WOW! The details made it hard for me to get through these books, but it also made it all the more an interesting reading. I don't really need to know how the wall paper looked, but other details simp ...more
Will Caskey
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Anne Rice deserves recognition for building the latest configuration of vampire fiction, in that vampires are emo and moody in a manner distinct from the capital-R Romanticism of the Bram Stoker novel, and are also weird sex addicts.

Whether this has been a net positive depends on whether True Blood (the tv series) is worth the Twilight series, the Vampire Diaries, True Blood (the books) and so forth and so on. But True Blood certainly owes a lot to Rice, and that is something.
gekko100
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
A sophisticated take on vampire mythology, Rice's series is an enjoyable flight of fancy for all those who think that drinking blood would be a fair trade-off for immortality and superhuman reflexes. My interest peaked around the fourth volume (I liked the body thief storyline) but faded after that.

In hindsight, this could have made a great t.v. series -- rather one decent film and half-assed follow-up.
Danyelle Ferruccio
Mar 28, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have read the first book - INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE - i am sure we all remember he movie version with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I am, embarrassingly enough, kind of a vampire fanatic. I have researched the origin of the myth in many different cultures - fascinating stuff - really. but this book was a long drawn out affair that really failed to keep me interested. hopefully as i continue the series it will get better.
Jennifer Wells
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I'll ever recover from these books. What can I say? I was a goth? It was the 80s? I don't regret it!

I went on a walking tour in the Garden District of New Orleans in 2000 and saw Anne's beautiful, purple house. Shortly after hers was Trent Reznor's lovely house. I thought I was over it all.
Leah
Feb 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read these all indiviually, not as a boxed set or all in one book, but I thought it better to review them this way instead of listing the individual books which would take all day. Of these 4 books The Queen of the Damned is my favorite. I listed 1992 as the date for this because I believe that is when I read Interview with the Vampire (the first book).
Candace
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
read these through the 90's & early 2000's... loved every one, including the ones that followed these initial stories! my all-time favorite is Memnoch the Devil! just adore all the historical drama, heaven to hell and back! awesome. these are the only vampire stories we need... enough with all the other nonsense, already.
Lexy Ray
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This set takes you completely through every aspect of each story but i believe tells it from each vantage point at some time from each character. Wonder full collection and i urge everyone who is dedicated to Mrs. rice's novels to choose this box set for your collection its totally worth every penny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Anne Rice lovers!: Big re-read 1 15 Jun 16, 2014 02:42AM

• Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Collection 1-4 (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-4)
  • Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (Sleeping Beauty, #1-3)
  • Sookie Stackhouse 7-copy Boxed Set (Sookie Stackhouse, #1-7)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Dark-Hunter 3 Book Box Set
  • Black Dagger Brotherhood: Boxed Set #1-6
  • This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)
  • Interview with Anne Rice
  • The Witches' Companion
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • Belinda
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Blue Bloods 3-Book Boxed Set (Blue Bloods, #1-3)
  • Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider
  • Doctor Who: The Myth Makers
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)
  • Blackwood Farm
  • Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10)