Start by marking “The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)

The Day of the Duchess

(Scandal & Scoundrel #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  8,167 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews
The one woman he will never forget…
Malcolm Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven, has lived the last three years in self-imposed solitude, paying the price for a mistake he can never reverse and a love he lost forever. The dukedom does not wait, however, and Haven requires an heir, which means he must find himself a wife by summer’s end. There is only one problem—he already has one.

Published June 27th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Day of the Duchess, please sign up.
Sarah MacLean Hi Roxanne,
Hi Roxanne,
Just saw your email, too,, but figured I'd reply in both formats so all readers see my answer. Sorry you hate the name Malcolm, but I'm hoping you'll be won over eventually when you meet him. As for the change in publication, It was very important to me that Haven & Sera got the perfect happily ever after after all they've been through, and the book wasn't finished in time for the April release date -- some books take longer than others, and it's always been my policy that I prefer readers get the very best book I can write rather than the very fastest.
Hope you enjoy -- and thanks for your patience!
Sarah(less)
Sofia Lazaridou
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,167 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews

Start your review of The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
Sarah MacLean
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, romance, historical
As always, I like this book, or I wouldn't have let you all read it.

BUT...that said, I will tell you that this book put me through the ringer. I don't think I've ever written two characters who better deserved a happily ever after...from each other. I don't want to spoil what's to come, but here are the answers to some of the questions people have been asking about The Day of the Duchess!

1) YES, you will see more of the Dangerous Daughters/Talbot Sisters/Soiled Ss. Lots more of them. You will
Esther
Bubu
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, 2-stars, hr
Warning: spoilers ahead and (sorry!) wall of text inc.

Seraphina Bevingstoke, Duchess of Haven, makes a dramatic entrance in Parliament, petitioning for divorce. Two years and seven months after vanishing from her husband's country estate; after being told she's barren after a stillborn child; after witnessing her husband's infidelity; after being subjected to his disdain for trapping him into marriage; after actually trapping him into marriage; after falling in love with him almost instantly.
Geri Reads
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

“Tell me, Seraphina. If there were no one—no sisters or god or goddess to protect, no American, no aristocracy to watch and judge? What would you do if I pursued you?”

The Day of the Duchess is one of those books that makes me go, “This is the reason why I read romance!” Does it have a healthy dose of angst? Yes, it does. It also has one of the best grovels I’ve read in a while. The satisfying ending was worth every single heartache I, and the characters, went through. And every emotional
♥ℳelody
I started this in May.

All jokes aside, it's not entirely the book's fault. I've been in a serious reading slump for a good part of this year, life and other things got in the way and binging Turkish dramas also added to that distraction. But yeah, this wasn't bad or terrible. I didn't love it but I would say it was decent. I've had this on my shelf for ages and kept putting it off since I had a falling out with SM's writing. This wasn't as laborious as her usual offerings go but I definitely
boogenhagen
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
4.5 STARS

Review @ Vanilla & Spice Books

It's been a while since I read my last Historical Romance and I really missed it. The gallantry of men, the noble ladies, the unconventional heroines, the beautiful words and poetry in the story-telling, they all contribute to my love for this genre. Sarah Maclean has always been one of my favorites so it was a pleasure and an honor to receive an advanced reading copy for The Day of The Duchess.

Malcom Marcus Bevinstoke, Duke of Haven, feels the weight
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

AAHHHHH I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK!!!!! This might honestly be my new all-time favorite book of Sarah MacLean’s (and if you know me, you know how much I loved One Good Earl Deserves a Lover). The angst had me in TEARS. I LOVED it. THIS is exactly the kind of book I want when I read a second chance romance (aka has a groveling hero who is unrelenting in his pursuit to win back the one and only love of his life). As soon as I finished The Day of the
StMargarets
Mei
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I usually don’t hear music when I read a book, but while reading this one...

You all remember this one? ;-)

I really love Ms. MacLean books… usually… not so much this series…

The premises for an excellent story are all here: we have the weird sisters (Soiled S’s, Dangerous Daughters, etc.) which names all start with S: Seraphina, Sophie, Secily…., we have the cheating husband, the scorned wife, the lost child, the matchmaking mamas…

Still I didn’t find the mix all that exiting. I liked better the
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Such a lovely, poignant, passionate, romantic, beautiful, second chance love story!
Caz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars.

Sarah MacLean concludes her Scandal and Scoundrels series with The Day of the Duchess, the book many of us have been eagerly anticipating since Sophie, youngest of the scandalous Talbot sisters, pushed Malcolm Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven, into an ornamental fish pond in book one, The Rogue Not Taken. Sophie’s actions were prompted when she caught her eldest sister’s husband in flagrante delicto with another woman in front of half the ton – including the
Izy
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER FREE!! Also a mess but then again when are they not when I have too many feelings.

I LOVEEEDD THIS SO MUCH!!!

What's it about: Seraphina, Duchess of Haven left her husband Malcom the Duke of Haven two years, seven months ago. She left without a trace and Malcom has spent this time searching for her, hating himself. Sera after losing the man she loved and then the only thing that connected him to her left her family and went to America. While Malcom spent the last years going over the
Roshani Chokshi
Tfw you spent the whole night crying but you're happy about it. . .

This was such a tortured premise. Every page hurt, but the story was addictively cathartic and raw and beautiful. I loved Malcolm and Seraphina's journey. One of my favorite things about MacLean's novels is how she always ties in a meta-myth. In A ROGUE BY ANY OTHER NAME it was pseudo Hades and Persephone, and in THE DAY OF THE DUCHESS, we get a clever Orion and Merope spin.

I have the worst book hangover.

Joanna Shupe
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING. I cried twice in the opening thirty pages. The HEA is so incredibly hard-fought and powerful. I don't think there's ever been a reunion romance better written than this. I started the book hating Haven so much, and by the end I adored him. I immediately started re-reading it, I loved TDOTD that much.
Nancy
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I couldn't fathom how Sarah MacLean was going to redeem her most unredeemable hero. In fact, he may be the most unredeemable Regency hero I've ever read. I mean...the guy publicly cheated on his wife. He humiliated her and her family. He's the scum of the ton....right?

In the other Scandal and Scoundrel stories, I hated Malcolm Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven. When I saw that this story was to be his and Seraphina's...well, I was skeptical. Romances had to end in a happily-ever-after, and how could it
Bev
The marriage in trouble trope is my catnip - I relish and salivate at the angst, the pain, the denial, the DRAMA, the grovel, the forgiveness and the hard-fought road to their HEA, then throw in some cheating and I'm all over it like a rash! Here the cheating was so lightly and briefly glossed over I blinked and missed it! I didn't get any of the angst, drama, gut wrenching knots in my stomach feels that I'd hoped for.

Edited 13/7/17 - I went and read the prologue of the first book and got the
Moras Dela Paz
Oh. My. Heart. I got this book because a friend recommended it. I read it without reading the first two books of the series so I was going into it without any knowledge whatsoever about Sera and Mal. And boy was I blindsided! This book made me cry so much that I had a headache, I’m probably a little dehydrated too.

I will definitely pick up the rest of the series, it made that big of an impression to me.

Shoutout to Alexis for recommending this book, thanks doll!
Jen
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I did not want to like this one, let alone love it. But I did, I loved it!

Haven and Sera's story is heart-achingly complicated and only a master storyteller like Sarah MacLean could pull their redemption romance off. I laughed, I cried, I swooned. And then I cried some more because that Epilogue is perfection.
Melissa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobody can make me bawl though the last two chapters of a romance like Sarah MacLean. Which is what I proceeded to do because holy cats does it get heartfelt. Romances where one of the couple has to overcome cheating are always hard for me and, while I would have appreciated a cricket ball to the goolies for Haven, there are massive amounts of groveling, self-flagellation, and relationship rebuilding to make this one another fantastic entry in SM's body of work.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I
Kiki
From what I gathered from the other reviews is that he ACTUALLY cheated on his pregnant wife and got caught redhanded! So I wouldn't count if he lived the rest of his life on his knees grovelling and kissing her feet as redemption.
Nothing short of him becoming a monk with vow of lifelong celibacy after giving the heroine the freedom to choose someone ELSE to marry would be redeeming.
Let alone a short celibate period AFTER having his fill of fooling around and getting caught.

Also note to self,
NMmomof4
2.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I truly wish there was a way that I could turn off my expectations! As much as I try not to do it to myself, I have done it yet again. I admit that I had read some spoilers, so I was prepared for a total heartbreak. But, nope, didn't get there. I felt like the angst and drama was all due to our mcs and their inability to actually freakin' communicate with each other! It wasn't outside factors -- it was them making things hard for themselves, when a little bit of talking
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
5 "Doves mate for life' Stars

“She laughed then, hollow and so different from her earlier happiness that he felt the sound like a blow. “I am to believe that?”
“I don’t expect you to,” he said. “But it is the truth.”
“That is the problem with truth; so often you must rely on faith to embrace it.”
“And you’ve no faith in me.” He regretted the words the moment they were out, wishing immediately that he could take them back. He did not want her to answer. The silence that stretched out between them in
Francoise
5 Stars

Sera and Malcom’s story is powerfully put into words, there is so much beauty in Sarah MacLean’s writing! It’s the kind of writing that transports you to another time and place and makes you feel all the feelings! This author captured my attention with clever, witty dialogue and amazing characterization. She engaged my emotions with her poignant and moving tale, the overload of feelings had me all misty-eyed several times through the book! And I loved it!

Malcom Bevingstoke, the Duke of
FV Angela
Perfection.

Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-day-du...

I’ve had my complaints and issues with the Scandal and Scoundrelseries ever since the release of the first book,The Rogue Not Taken. But, honestly? Sarah MacLean landed on my auto-buy list with Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rakeand I can’t imagine a time when I won’t get excited butterfliesseeing that she has a new release. My anticipation overSeraphina and Haven’s storybegan when Sophie (Sera’s sister) walked
Jacqueline's Reads
4 I popped my Sarah Maclean stars!

I always see Sarah MacLean’s books and I’m a fan of Avon books. I think Avon publishes really great historical reads, so I finally took the plunge and picked up this book.

I originally got the Audio version, which really enhanced my experience but I didn’t finish it in time before I had to give it back to the library so I ended up finishing it through reading it. I have to say, usually I like one over the other, but the audio and ebook version were equally good.
Karen
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, although it was my least favorite of the series. The epilogue made it all worth it. I can't wait for the Bareknuckle Bastards! Hurry up Sarah!
Sophie Barnes
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An achingly beautiful story of heartache and sorrow and a love strong enough to overcome both.

When Seraphina, Duchess of Haven, returns to London after years in exile, it is to demand a divorce from her philandering husband, Malcolm Bevingstoke. She wants her freedom from him and from their destructive relationship so she can build a new life for herself - a life that cannot be hers as long as she is married. But conquering her emotions is harder than she imagined - most of all when she has to
nick
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Sarah MacLean is a genius. A complete utter genius. This story easily could have been messy given what we know of the hero from the previous books, but in MacLean’s hands, The Day of the Duchess was a poignant, and stunning story of redemption, second chances, and true love. This is exactly the sort of book that makes me believe in the power of romance, and reminds me why romance is such a popular genre.

Going into The Day of the Duchess, I was equal parts nervous and excited. Having read
✨ Gramy ✨
This book addressed passions, desires, and unidentified hopes and dreams. In a society where rules are strict demands, the truth can be obscured beyond recognition. A duke who is too dang proud to open his eyes and see what is right in front of him and his duchess whose pain becomes an albatross she can no longer bear. After years of separation, their actions culminate into one of the largest scandals in history.

Maclean extracts captivation from her audience by providing perceptive
Madison Mega-Mara...: #104 The Day of the Duchess by Sarah MacLean 1 1 Aug 20, 2017 03:20PM
Historical Romanc...: BR- The Day of The Duchess 21 42 Aug 16, 2017 03:24AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 6 Apr 25, 2017 12:56PM

• The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • How the Dukes Stole Christmas
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
New York Times, Washington Post & USA Today bestseller Sarah MacLean is the author of historical romance novels that have been translated into more than twenty languages, and winner of back-to-back RITA Awards for best historical romance from the Romance Writers of America.

Sarah is a leading advocate for the romance genre, speaking widely on its place at the nexus of gender and cultural

Scandal & Scoundrel (3 books)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
“Here lies the heart and the smile and the love; here lies the wolf, the angel, the dove. She put aside dreaming and she put aside toys; and she was born that day, in the heart of a boy.” 2 likes
“So we lie down and pillow our heads; so we lie down in the cool of our beds. We put aside dreaming, and we put aside toys; and remember our days in the heart of a boy.” 1 likes