Start by marking “Digging in the Stars” as Want to Read:
Digging in the Stars

Digging in the Stars

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A lost ancient civilization and the tomb of a legendary king lie buried beneath centuries of ash on the volcanic planet Thror, but that’s not the only reason sixteen-year-old Carter has tricked her Archaeology of Outer Space class into coming here. Her best friend Conrad has just disappeared on a trip to Thror, leaving behind little more than a broken vintage camera. The s ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 368 pages
Published March 28th 2017 by Blaze Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Digging in the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digging in the Stars

katherine
Apr 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF at 10% it's boring and i just can't get into it :(
Carla
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
First of all, thanks to BlazePublishing for the ARC (first one ever) !!!!

I had a lot of fun reading this unique book!

Carter’s friend Conrad is missing and so she goes looking for him. With her Archaeology of Outer Space class and their Professor P.
I don’t want to spoil anything so that the shortest summary ever but I think that’s enough to imagine the situation. It’s a really cool Science Fiction/Young Adult adventure and I really liked the writing style because it was really fast to read! I
Atlas
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s
The old belief that Thror was a black hole instead of a planet was not unfounded. A black hole sucking in all who ventured too far

* * .5
2.5 / 5

Digging in the Stars had a lot of potential (it's about archaeology IN OUTER SPACE, I mean talk about awesome) but unfortunately the characters were a bit too flat and the narrative too confused to pull it off. There was still a good chunk of mystery and a totally whacky ending to make this book fun, but it wasn't exactly a page turner.

Carter is our main
RemiV Foliage
Originally, I was interested in the idea of the story and the synopsis made me hold high expectation of this book. However, I didn't enjoy this book. I was confused in some parts.
Anniek
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Archaeology in outer space! That's such a fun concept for a novel, and it makes for a really original sort of combination of sci-fi, historical fiction and detective.

Reading this, I loved it at times, but disliked it at other times. The main plot was certainly interesting and surprising, and the Throrians were a funny but also scary sort of aliens. Also, there were some great characters, especially Professor P. She was bad-ass and independent, but also never short of sassy comments. That way, sh
Samantha Beard
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book earns a very solid 4.5 from me, but I round up. I enjoyed it for so many reasons. There's a big emphasis on science and archaeological exploration that I found engaging and thoughtful. There are tons of references for both history & science geeks alike. I loved the world of Thror. This book never takes itself too seriously, so it's a refreshing twist on a lot of modern sci-fi that can be too dark or aloof. This is a human science fiction tale with human characters using their adven ...more
Christina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book it was unlike anything I had ever read before. I mean planetary archeology?? Futuristic archeology?? Fascinating. Some of the one-liners that were in this book and the mysterious aspects of it all was really awesome :) i know there are so much that I can say about this book but it may be better for a person to go into this book blind no expectations because that's what keeps the story more interesting at least in my opinion.
Paige Green
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5/5

Genre: YA Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 13+

Favorite Quote: "#ThrorLives"

I received a copy of this book from the publishing company (Blaze Publishing Company) from netgalley in exchange for a review and I received another copy of this book when I became a publishing rep for the company. This did not influence me in anyway.

Carter, a sixteen year-old girl living in the year 2222, longs to live up to her namesake, Howard Carter the English archaeologist and Egyptologist who discovered the intact
A. Aaroones)
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do not come across young adult science fiction novels very often that are as advanced and well thought out as Digging in the Stars is. Katherine Blakeney writes with a knowledgeable hand when explaining the world that she has created, and I became trapped within her detailed world as I read along. Digging in the Stars is a novel that takes hold of you and won't let go until you cross the last page, and even then it stays with you long after. This is the perfect young adult novel to introduce r ...more
H.L.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
So I started reading this book about a month ago, today I finally finished this book and it was okay. It had a promising plot but it just couldn't keep my attention. I do want to say the authors writing style was out of this world and was the only reason I kept reading until the end.
Marina
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! I'm not usually someone who reads Sci-fi/ archeology novels but this has made me want to continue with them. The plot twists made sure there were no dull moments and it was one of the few books that kept me interested throughout the whole thing! I also didn't find the main female character annoying (like I usually do haha). 5/5!
Aldii - perfectioninbooks
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This reminded me of those books I liked to read when I was younger.

The Writing:
Some times this book was difficult to follow but I think that was because of the world and sometimes I was a bit confused about it. Other than that I found this to be easy to read. I read it in 9 days, with a read-along and I might have read it in less time but for me this is not a book you can read in one sitting. There is one POV through the book, Carter's and she is the MC.

The Story:
I found this story to be very cr
stefansbooks
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digging In The Stars 4.75/5⭐s
1. The beginning is a bit slow and confusing.
2. Thror is so funny😂 The Furry Giants are ridiculously funny! I love them so much😂
3. Prefessor P is so cool! Her attitude is on point.
4. Carter is a nice person to have as your main protagonist. She's not whining all the time about finding her best friend and she's not repetitive at all. Like no same thoughts over and over again.
5. The book has so much mystery and secrets, which I love! The message on the boulder was so
rapunzellovebooks
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book in. readalong that was arranged by stefanos and blaze publishing.!

Archaelogy in outer space.! Amazing concept.! I throughly enjoyed this book and the whole plot was beautifully written and the way suspence was freaking amazing.

Professor p and Carter is my fav character i loved their bonding and ofcourse throrians were funny.!

I don't want to spoil anything so inshort do read this book if you are fond of reading sci-fi historical..!
Heather Nicole
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok so when you read this book have your mindset in like young young adult. (My opinion it will make this book enjoyable.)

It's a very cute, descriptive, fantasy/sci fi novel.

The main character, Carter, is an Earth girl studying archeology at school. When her class and Professor P plan an educational dig at another planet entirely.

Hence, adventure ensues.

Mystic magic alien creatures greet them once they arrive.

Then the truth of Carters real plan is exposed.

Kari
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Goodness. This book.
This story follows Carter and her archaeology group to a different planet for an apprenticeship program. That alone drew me in. Archaeology in space? YES PLEASE. Not only does that sound amazing, but it is refreshingly different from so many other YA novels. This book included family, friendship, sci-fi, and mystery all into one. The plot was seriously never lacking in action.
I really enjoyed the writing style of it. It included real historical facts about archaeology,
A.Bibliophiles.Book.Blog (Mich Martin)
Ok wow. First I just want to say that the writing was fast paced and so smooth, Excellent writing. The story was Intense and mysterious and gripped your attention, I've only read a few books that have involved space travel and different planets and alien species and I love the absolute anything can happen freedom of it! Basically anything seemed possible in this book and that made reading it feel so fun, I Couldn't put it down. I may or may not have read it in two days! There were quite a few cr ...more
Janelle
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun ride! I loved every second of the space travel, treasure hunt, archaeology, and learning about the culture on the planet Thror--the writing was so vivid, I could almost SMELL the planet!
After receiving a blank note and an old camera, Carter travels to the planet of Thror to solve the mystery surrounding her friend, Conrad's, sudden disappearance. She kidnaps her archaeology class--a group of interesting, very different girls and her professor--forcing them along for the ride. Digging
Sara Markovic
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so unique and it's definitely for someone who love sci-fi, detective books.It's a really good combination.
In first it was hard for me to get into this book because of so many details,but in other hand it was really interesting to read it.
I cant wait for this book to come out in my language i will definitely reread it.
I could write more about this book,but 'beauty is in the eye of beholder' (or reader, in this case) amd definitely read this book.
Phoebe The Reading Phoenix
Author: Katherine Blakeney

Publisher: Blaze Publishing

Publishing Date: March 28, 2017

ISBN: 978-1-945519-07-9

This novel was sent to me by Blaze Publishing in exchange for an honest and objective review.

Summary:
Conrad has gone missing, leaving Carter feeling hopelessly responsible. The last things she had said to him had been out of anger, and in fear that he'd responded in an irresponsible and emotional state, she believes she has caused his disappearance.

When her guilt becomes too much to withst
Jelena Milenković
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-dystopia
Thanks Blaze Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book as a part of a read along!

I'm so glad I liked this book because I always loved archeology!
Until I finished reading this book I didn't realized that Katherine Blakeney is, in fact, very familiar with archeology and filmmaking, which only added depth to the story.

Anyway, back to the book!
The story begins in the year 2222, with our main female protagonist Carter who studies Archeology of Outer Space in the time when nobody cares about the
Alexa
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I participated in a readalong hosted by @stefansbooks on instagram and got provided with an e-copy of the book from the pulisher.
Although I had a really hard time getting into the book, I liked the concept.
The plot takes the reader to the future, where spacetravel is nothing new. What starts as a rescue mission quickly turns into a exciting space- archeology adventure for the characters.
I had pretty high expectations for this book, and sadly the story didn't live up to them. While I liked some
Riley
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I would recommend it to anyone who likes adventurous stories. I enjoyed it's plot twists. It's very unique and isn't like anything I've read in the past! I would totally recommend purchasing this book! I was happy with the details as well.
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
First things first. I love Professor P, and I think we should all aspire to be more like her. She’s caustic, unsentimental and deeply passionate about her work, first and foremost.

“What does this story teach us?”

“Make sure you have someone who wants you?” Allison said tremulously.

“Goodness, no!” Snorted Professor P. “Become a professional and learn to take care of yourself.”

Carter’s relationship with the largely absent Conrad is an interesting one, and it speaks to some very carefully thought-o
Tânia
"She dreamed of faces concealed by long-nosed masks, of voices murmuring like water, and place figures swaying among bubbles of fragrance. Then her throat was filled with ash, and she could smell nothing but smoke."

Plot: Carter, named after the famous Howard Carter, is in a mission: find her best friend Conrad who went missing in Thor, a planet where technology doesn't work and where a great civilization was lost after several volcanic eruptions. In order to reach Thror, Conrad lies to her Arc
R.F. Gammon
**Thanks to BlazePublishing and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC! All opinions expressed are my own.**

Where to begin? This is the story of Carter, a girl who loves archaeology and the history of her namesake, Howard Carter. She and her Archaeology of Outer Space class are leaving for an excavation apprenticeship on the planet Magnus, and as the professor's teaching assistant, Carter is tasked with buying the tickets.

Well, she's preoccupied with her worries for he best friend Conrad, who v
Pop Bop
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There's Something About This Book

It's a teen drama, girl's own, sci-fi, "King Solomon's Mines", alien world quest adventure. The characters are stock, except when they aren't, and the plot is incoherent, except when it makes sense. It is loaded with loose ends and implausibilities piled on top of coincidences, but it is so ambitious and imaginative, and it is driven by such a helter-skelter narrative, that I stormed through it despite myself.

Here's a brief plot synopsis. Moody, damaged heartthr
Jacob Devlin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space
Funny, fresh, exciting, and imaginative. I loved the Furry Giants, the vivid landscape, and how the author's passions for film and archaeology shone through the novel. A fun read!
Ruth
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was given a fee ecopy of this book in return for an honest review. Many thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity.
I was intrigued by the plot concept of an extra-terrestrial archaeology based missing person mystery and my initially impressions of the book were favourable with interesting descriptions, particularly of the smell based society, which seemed highly imaginative. However as the story progressed to the planet Thror, it was entirely built on stereotypes of foreign rea
Tracy Thomas
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book for free, in exchange of being a Blaze Publishing Rep.

This book was very creative, and insanely unique. I believe that fans of Sci-Fi and Fantasy are going to love and devour this book. Typically, it's not my style of a read, but I did find it very interesting.

The world building was very cool, and descriptive in a way, that it was easy to imagine THROR in my mind, without being totally over done.

I also loved the interaction between the characters, it's nice to read books w
Katherine Blakeney is an author and filmmaker with a BFA in Stop Motion Animation from the School of Visual Arts in New York and a PhD in Film Studies from the University of Edinburgh (Scotland, UK). Raised by an Egyptologist mother, she grew up among museums and excavation sites, where she developed an unhealthy fascination with ancient art and mythology. She divides her time between bringing 12” ...more
More about Katherine Blakeney

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)