Start by marking “Bruno: Some of the More Interesting Days in My Life So Far” as Want to Read:
Bruno: Some of the More Interesting Days in My Life So Far

Bruno: Some of the More Interesting Days in My Life So Far

Bruno, the cat in the checkered cap, takes life as it comes. When it's too rainy to go outside, he rustles up an inside picnic with his friends. When he meets a fish swimming in the air, he follows it. Why not! When the canary forgets how to sing and can only speak gibberish, Bruno helps out.
Published April 1st 2017 by Gecko Press (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Bruno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruno

David Schaafsma
A comics story by Catharina Valckx and illustrated by Nicolas Hubesch for tweens—call it a picture book, call it a children’s graphic novel—translated from the French. Having just read some memoir comics, I loved the subtitle: “Some of the More Interesting Days in My Life So Far.” By which I mean it is a little ironic, and strange. A fictional kid memoir. Six stories about Bruno on a series of adventures: A Peculiar Day (Bup, a fish flies down a street, and so on), A Rainy Day, A Day When the Po ...more
This is a sweet, longish picture book about a anthropomorphic cat, and his friends. The whole book is a series of stories of good days, bad days, and all sorts of days in between. There are stories of fish out of water, and lost canaries. There is just a two page story of how peaceful it is when the power goes out. There is a strange story about a rainy day, when a wolf comes to call.

I think kids will enjoy reading about Bruno's strange adventures, and friends. And the wolf story ends well.

Thank
Pop Bop
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Perceptive, Funny, Irreverent and a Touch Surreal

To say that a book has "charm" is often a way either to damn it with faint praise or to say something nice without really saying much at all. Because I so admired this book I'll try harder to be clear. This book combines pleasant and appealing drawings of amiable and idiosyncratic characters with crystal clear, sharp, deadpan wit. It's smart, casually odd, and offered with a smile, a shrug of the shoulders, and a raised eyebrow.

The first of the s
Michael Earp
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Adorable illustrations and sweet, quirky stories. And a brilliant subtitle! I liked this a lot, and think perhaps it was only the translation that stopped me from loving it.
Heidi
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I would have liked. Bruno is a fun character with his blue cap and nice house. He has friends and some simple adventures. The first story about a peculiar day in which he meets a flying fish and his horse friend, Ringo walks backward every where was especially silly. But the story about the stupid day and some other episodes of name-calling didn't strike me as particularly good examples of how to talk about your friends. Admittedly, Bruno's frien ...more
Andréa
A little bit strange, but I can see kids enjoying it because of the strangeness. In format, it's somewhere between a picture book and a graphic novel; it would work well for kids transitioning into reading on their own.

Note: I received a digital review copy through NetGalley.
Becky B
Translated from the French, a picture book collection of short stories about the different kinds of days Bruno, a Parisian cat, has. He tells about a peculiar day when everything was strange, a very rainy day and its events, the quiet of a day when the power went out, a stupid day that had a lot of things that went badly and a few things that went well, a day so typical it’s almost boring, and Bruno’s ideas for a perfect day that go mostly according to plan.

Different types of days are things eve
AlexandraM
Translated from French and originally published in New Zealand, this book by award-winning author Catharina Valckx will get even the least imaginative adult--or child--laughing at Bruno and his "interesting" days. Valckx's books have been published in eleven languages and it is clear after reading Bruno , why her books have a universal appeal to children. Simply written with plenty of character dialogue and goofy instances, I could see some of my students who enjoy reading Elephant and Piggie ...more
Amy Layton
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an adorable book!  Bruno takes life one day at a time, regaling stories when a peculiar day happens and he finds a fish floating in the air, or the time when the power went out--he makes do with what he has, and makes friends while doing so!  With a beautiful color palette and sense of graphic design, Bruno makes for a fun read alongside the mimetic illustrations.  It's an attention grabber, and with the various little stories within, it's sure to make a young reader feel accomplished!  Gre ...more
Stephanie Tournas
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Bruno, a cat in a blue cap, tells the reader about his life, where some days are good, some are bad and some are just plain weird. The setting is a European town and the characters are various animals, including: Ringo, a horse; Bup, a fish; Georgette, a turtledove; and Gloria, a cow. Like people, they go on walks and eat snacks. Like animals, they do sometime want to eat one another. Completely captivating illustrations take center stage here, the style a cross between William Steig and Richard ...more
That One Librarian
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bruno is an English translation of a 2015 French title by Catharina Valckx. The episodic tale is divided into small "chapters", each following a different day in the life of Bruno (a cat) and his friends. The illustrations are very nice; a steady palette and fun line-work make the pictures fun and enticing. The translation, however, hamstrings the production. There is a certain heavy-handedness to the narrative that probably doesn't exist in the original. Some readers may enjoy the abruptness of ...more
Carole
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each story in the gorgeous picture book/comic tells the story of a day in Bruno's life - some are more interesting than others, but they are all filled with delightful, quirky things that happen to him and his animal friends. I loved the illustrations, Bruno is terribly cute with his big yellow eyes and blue cap and each picture is quite detailed. A fun book for readers of all ages who like humour that's a bit quirky and different.
Mary
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unusual format--graphic novel-esque combined with picture book and cartoon. Unusual text with quirky humor. Bruno, a cat, tells about his days--good days, bad days, so-so days. Best quote: "I thought of how days go by, like clouds, each one different." Perhaps young readers will find Bruno more interesting and entertaining than I did.
Chris Hays
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is probably a 3 star book, but I love the whimsical plots. This book kind of reads like life, yet is wacky and silly. I am not sure how one could teach with this book, but I think students will appreciate the simplicity and silliness within the short stories. Great for readers in the grade 2-3 range.
meheadhurts
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounded up, since I loved the illustrations.
The prose... Not so much, lost in translation perhaps? Not the first book translated from French that I've not quite connected with. The storylines would speak to a quite young audience, but the vocabulary seemed to be aimed at an older kids, so not sure what the target audience is.
Genevieve
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Are French kids and American kids that different? I don’t think so, but beyond the cute art, I would have a hard time recommending this to any kids I know. Quiet little vignettes that kind of translate to weird and boring more than charming and innocent. Too bad, I had high hopes.
Diane
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
“Even on the most peculiar days, certain things remain normal, I’ve noticed.”

Bruno is a cat who wants to tell you about some of his interesting days: A peculiar day, a rainy day, Stupid day, an almost perfect day, etc.
MaryLibrarianOH
A translated early chapter book. Bruno is a cat who shares some of the adventures he has.

One nitpick is that the text is a little small and there isn't a lot of space between the lines of text that would be helpful for young readers.
Brian Rosser
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked this up as I was intrigued by the artwork which reminded me of the Ariol books by Emmanuel Guibert and Marc Boutavant unfortunately it wasn't that good. Although I highly recommend the Ariol books.
Emily
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really funny short stories, varying in length, about Bruno the cat and the different days he experiences.
Liz
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
I thought this book odd, maybe I just didn't get it.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weird but I like it. Sort of reminiscent of James Marshall and Roald Dahl. I'm not sure how to categorize it: picture book/chapter book? It's like George and Martha: a series of illustrated stories.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was weird, but I'm gonna call it good weird.
Maryanne
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Fun and slightly old-fashioned...kind of reminds me of Esther Averill but with more humor.
VeganMedusa
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute and odd.
Tara
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.

This book is a bit odd, yet enjoyable at the same time. A story of a cat and the great and not so great things that happen to him. The illustrations are great and help carry the odd stories. There's a bit lost in translation and it is quite long for a picture book.
Victoria Peipert
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun and strange with pretty traditional illustrations.
Josh
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review, kids
Cute. I think there were some aspects that were lost in translation, but the illustrations are awesome!

Review Copy provided
Alison
The stories were simple and cute and the illustrations were great
Cat
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was kind of silly fun! Nor much really happens in the story, but it's quirky enough that some kids is going to find it a joy! Illustrations are fun!