Start by marking “One Italian Summer” as Want to Read:
One Italian Summer

One Italian Summer

It's been a year since Milly, Elyse and Leonie's dad died, and a year since their last trip to Rome. Summer's here again, and once again they are heading with their mum to Italy - but what's it going to be like going without Dad? Rome still holds its familiar charms - the sun is still as warm, the gelato as delicious, the people as welcoming. But nothing is quite as it onc ...more
Published May 4th 2017 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about One Italian Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Italian Summer

Cora Tea Party Princess
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Family, friendship, love, sisters, loss.

The cover lead me to think I was going to read about summer shenanigans, that it'd all be fun and rose-tinted and wonderful...

And it was wonderful.

But it was also utterly heartbreaking.

It was quite hard for me to read this book at times. This could have been me and my two sisters if the ambulance hadn't arrived so quickly, and that hit so close to home that I ended up in tears a few times and even had to put the book down and step away.

The relatio
Lauren James
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
[Gifted]

I CAME OUT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AND I'M HONESTLY FEELING SO ATTACKED RIGHT NOW.

This is wonderful. I started it expecting a summery holiday romance full of ice cream, beaches and winding medieval streets - which it is. But it's also a stunning portrait of loss, grief, support networks, sisterhood, and fathers. I cried. A lot. WE ARE OKAY levels of tears.

Also, Milly is the thirstiest young lady I've ever read about in fiction and I love her for it a lot. Female sex positivity in YA is stil
Alexa ❤️
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
That's why. You're eighteen. You have to star living your own life. That doesn't mean we won't be a family it doesn't mean we're not going to be okay. You Turing your life on hold is not the answer here." (Elyse page 138)

4 Stars

One Italian Summer (OIS) is a short novel featuring reconciliation with family, falling in love and moving in with life.

It has been nearly a year since Milly's father suddenly passed away leaving a gaping hole in her and her families lives. Things take a turn for th
Stacey (prettybooks)
Over the past couple of years, I've developed a love of travelling. I'm happy to report that YA has, too. This year's summer reads have involved adventures and road trips, and One Italian Summer sounded like the perfect holiday read. I've visited Rome and One Italian Summer brought back vivid memories of visiting gelato shops every day, doing the long (and very hot) walk up to the Colosseum, and relaxing around the Trevi fountain with a can of expensive Coke.

Milly, Elyse and Leonie travelled to
Maddie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya, arcs
I liked the concept A LOT. A strong relationship between sisters is always going to draw me in, but even more because I'm fascinated by how different aged siblings work together in comparison to twins. The first couple chapters, where Elyse was picking cheese out of the fridge was golden. When the girls got to Italy, though, there was something missing for me. While there were still some tragically sad moments linked to their father's death, I wasn't on board for the whole 'there's-my-old-boyfri ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
BIG NEWS- I'm running an international giveaway over on my Instagram. Head over to this link for more details!: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAtiSxnk0n/

3.5 stars!

T/W- Grief

LGBTQIA+ representation- One of the three sisters is a lesbian and has a girlfriend.

This was such a quick, adventurous read. Going to Italy has always been on my bucket list, I love the food, the historical surroundings, my ancestor is buried out there. That in itself makes a good story... XD

After the death of their father fro
Janani(ஜனனி)
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
OKAY-ISH!
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
'One Italian Summer' was okay it was giving me 'Monte Carlo' vibes (great best friends travel movie) and I loved that all the main characters were sisters, but I don't think it hit the right emotional tone. Milly is struggling to move on from her father's recent death (and I guess in general, I didn't find it as deep as the other quest-to-bury-father's ashes books I've read, the better one would be 'Kids of Appetite' by David Arnold) and that's stopping her from living her life, but whenever L ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I downloaded One Italian Summer by Keris Stainton off Netgalley awhile back and after mentioning it on Twitter, I got a message from the author. She very kindly informed me that One Italian Summer is very much a book about grief and she knew of the losses I've faced this year. But when I finally sat down to tackle some of my Netgalley reading this year ... this is the book that I gravitated towards anyway. I think I wanted to read a book about loss and grief, if only to see if these characters f ...more
Nina Rossing
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, 2017
This was lovely. It handles dealing with grief so well. The characters are convincing, deep, and dynamic.
Kirsty
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a really hard one for me to read and review.

This book is a perfect example of why Keris is an awesome YA author. It had that lovely storyline and wonderful characters that I could get behind and I really enjoyed their story and got a sense of the setting complete with that summer holiday fine.

But boy this this one make my heart ache. The story spends a significant amount of time looking at how the sisters in the story deal with life after the death of their father and it's really ra
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
One Italian Summer was such an uplifting, adorable story. The second I saw it on Netgalley, I knew I needed it in my hands. Visiting Italy has always been one of my dreams, and I was so happy to be able to in this book!

To briefly synopsize the story, it follows a teenage girl named Millie whose family travels to Rome, Italy almost every year. This year, though, will be her first time going after her dad passed away, and she is scared that it will be different and just not as fun as it used to be
Ingstje
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Three sisters and their mother are going on vacation.. a happy occasion, a wedding, in the land of ‘amore’, Italy. This sounds like the perfect light summer reading and it is, the atmosphere, the people in Italy, the food, the sights, the Trevi fountain.. it was all easily imaginable and what’s more, it made me want to be there!

There’s only one thing that’s obvious right from the start of this novel, this family is dealing with the grief of losing someone. They all deal with it in their own way.
Nadine
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful. So, so beautiful. When I started reading it, I expected it to be a light, fluffy summer read (and yes, I know I read it in Autumn, but I miss the sun, okay?), but boy was I in for a surprise. This book is about love, fears, friendship, but above all about loss, especially about how to cope with loss a year later and also how to cope with loss if reality only kicks in a year later. For those people who don't understand how someone only starts grieving a year after losing s ...more
Caroline
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars :)
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
A gorgeous summer read about family, romance, grief and growing up. Loved it!
Michelle
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
What drew me to this book was the cover. It looks like the perfect summer read, but look can be deceiving, and although it is a perfect summer read, it also requires tissues and some chocolate. I expected a summer read with sea, sand, sun, and family, and although we do get that, we also get tears, and sadness.

Within the first few pages of One Italian Summer I knew it would be a book that made me cry, but it also had the crazy family moments, the sisterly teasing, and seeing how a family copes a
Sharon
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Milly, Elyse and Leonie are sisters. They're preparing to go on holiday with their Mum for the first time since their Dad died. Their Mum isn't coping well - she's using work as a distraction, and the girls all have their own issues that they need to work through. Elyse is supposed to be moving in with her boyfriend, Milly is unsure whether or not to take her place at college, and Leonie is dealing with some personal changes.

This is the holiday that will either make them or break them - can
Hayley
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sisters Millie, Elyse & Leoni are headed on holiday in Italy to see their aunt marry.

A time they would normally be giddy with excitement, the prospect of sun, relaxation and romance...yet their time away is tainted with grief, sadness and many tears having recently lost their father unexpectedly.

Their mum has been burying herself and her grief in her work, she has completely disconnected with her daughters and this story take us on a journey of rediscovery, acceptance and healing.

For a YA
Italo Italophiles
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Realism in speech and action is an unusual element in this coming-of-age and overcoming-grief novel set mainly in Rome, Italy. So often life gets sanitized in fiction.

In this book, three English daughters and their mother take their yearly vacation to Italy after the death of the husband. All the women finally get a chance to deal with their grief, in different ways.

The eighteen-year-old narrator (first person, present tense) finds that the loss of her father has put her life on hold. The summe
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I read this whilst on holiday, and it is a good summer book. It mostly focuses on grief so I wouldn't go in reading this thinking it's a just a cute contemporary romance because it's definitely a lot sadder than I was expecting. I'd recommend to contemporary fans and those looking for books focusing on family and grief.
Janay Brazier
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and it was a lovely, quick read. It's a perfect summer read that still has an emotional edge. I liked the sisterly bond in this book but I really wish there had been more on the romance. I like that it wasn't a typical "they met and fell in love" situation but I wanted more of Luke. I'd love a follow up to this book, about how Milly goes to university and how things go with Luke. Overall, a good book that I'd recommend to those who like easy, contemporary books in the ...more
Nadia King
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
‘You want things to happen to you. And if things happen to you, some of them will be bad. But that’s okay. You’ll survive.’ Milly’s in Rome with her sisters and Mum. Reeling from the death of her dad, Milly’s looking for love or is she searching for a way to put herself back together? A gentle romance and a lovely light NA book. My weekend binge read.
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this! I had a lot of fun reading about the sisters in Rome while I was in Rome myself! It's short and sweet and made me love Italy all the more 😁
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I was so excited to get my hands on a copy of One Italian Summer by Keris Stainton. I bumped it straight to the top of my TBR pile. I’ve loved all of the books I’ve read previously by this author so I couldn’t wait to dive right in. Initially, I thought that the book was going to be quite a light and breezy read. The story is set in Rome and follows three sisters and their mother, as they embark on holiday. This, however, is the first time they have been to Rome without their father. His death h ...more
Jenni
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is entirely brilliant. It's gorgeous, and moving, a love letter to sisterhood and family and Italy. It made me laugh and cry, and made my heart hurt in the best possible way for the characters. I absolutely, completely loved it.
Morris
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reviews
“One Italian Summer” is a light ya romance that reads quickly but lacks much substance.

While there was an attempt at making the characters developed, I still felt somewhat removed from them, especially the love interest, Luke. There was little to no explanation of exactly why Milly was so interested in him, aside from a rather alarming amount of wanting to lick his muscles. Not going to lie, the amount of times a phrase like that was thought by her was a bit unsettling. I know this complaint may
Lucy Powrie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Despite finishing this on a freezing cold day in December, One Italian Summer made me feel all the warmth of the Italian sun.
Once again, Keris has delivered a stunning contemporary novel, with a beautiful sisterly relationship, a cute romance, and that discusses grief in such a realistic, honest way.
One Italian Summer is the book that you're going to want to pack in your beach bag this summer, the book that you won't be able to get out of your head after you've finished it. I loved it!

Full revi
Cat
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually one for super girly, fashion trends and gossip style books but as soon as I clapped eyes on the cover of this book I really felt positive about it. It is bright and gives off a summer vibe, reminds you of your own summer, the carefree, happy and thrilling memories you got to create with your own friends and family.

The first quarter of the book made me feel sad, because of the loss and the grief. It also made me reminisce of good times, memories I shared with close friends during
Amy Hayes
I really enjoyed this story. Although the cover makes you think of a light, contemporary, summer read, this story is so much more. It's the story of a family falling apart after the sudden death of their father/husband. It's heart breaking and the pace of healing and starting to move forward is realistic. The love story, because every summer read worth reading must have one, is slow burning and you are rooting for them every step of the way. The setting was amazing, but I would have like more de ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Searching for a Silver Lining
  • All About Mia
  • Love Song
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • Blue (Blue #1)
  • Going Viral (Potion, #3)
  • Dreaming the Bear
  • Freshers
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • And Then We Ran
  • House of Dreams
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • How Not to Disappear
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • An English Boy in New York (Boys Don't Knit, #2)
  • Cuckoo
  • My Husband the Stranger
My mum always claimed that when she lived in America for a year, my dad wrote to her every day and, in one of his letters, proposed. My dad denied this. But when she got home they got married anyway. In 1966 they emigrated to Canada. They'd wanted to go to New Zealand, but it was full.

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which, by all accounts, is very cold. And also hot. But when I was four months