Start by marking “Echoes of Time (The Guernsey Novels Book 5)” as Want to Read:
Echoes of Time (The Guernsey Novels Book 5)

Echoes of Time

(The Guernsey Novels #5)

WINNER OF THE DIAMOND BOOK AWARD 2017

The fifth of The Guernsey Novels, Echoes of Time is a dual-time story set in the German Occupation and present-day Guernsey and is likely to appeal to fans of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Betrayal, injustice and revenge echo down the years…

1940. Olive marries farmer Bill Falla. The Germans occupy Guernsey.

All t

Published August 15th 2016 by Sarnia Press

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of Time

Bibliophile Rose
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
****I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed it!!
I really loved the story, this is the first time that I read a historical fiction book, and it was amazing.

I wasn't a big fan of this genre I kept avoiding in, and now I want more of it.

This story followed basically of a woman named Natalie who moved into an island named Guernsey. Natalie used to live in London with her boyfriend Liam. But Liam was violent to her he used to abuse her, so she ran from him to
Donna Maguire

This is a superb book - I absolutely adored it - so well written, had me completely hooked and I didn't want it to end - I am also now very determined to visit Guernsey!!

This is the second book I have read by this author (I have read them out of sequence) and you are fine to do the same in my view, this one reads fine as a stand alone even though it is the fifth book released in the series.

This books are a delight to read with the differing time periods, I
Anne
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book was actually a really lovely surprise. It had all the elements I expected and have enjoyed in all Anne Allen's books - a vividly described Guernsey setting, a page-turner of a story, strong characters who quickly become your friends, an easy-to-read style, characters from the other books appearing here and there - but in addition to that I was delighted to find that it was also a dual-time story with a bit of time slip.

Now, those of you who've known me a while will know how much I enjo
Pat
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An intriguing suspenseful novel, with family secrets and a new love.
See full review on http://www.tbqsbookpalace.com
Tripfiction
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Novel set in GUERNSEY (present day and 1940s)

Natalie Ogier, fleeing a violent boyfriend, abandons her fast-paced London life as a hedge fund manager, to return to the island of her birth, Guernsey. She purchases a beautiful cottage – a new build, constructed on the site of an old farm destroyed by fire some years previously. The cottage is delightful with stunning views of Rocquaine Bay and the white tower of Fort Grey, but something about the cottage makes Natalie feel uneasy and, in no time, s
Christina Steiner
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Allen's smooth writing and quick pacing makes this book a fast read. Yes, in some way it's a love story, but it's so much more.

Natalie (the main character) is portrait as a modern professional woman, who surely never in her wildest dreams thought her new beginning at the island would rock her very foundation.

Part of the island's history gives the story a whole new twist and Natalie an uninvited, malicious ghost, who still wreaks havoc. Through him, Natalie gets acquainted with the presence of  O
Joanna Lambert
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to receive a pre-publication copy of Echoes of Time. This is the first time I’ve read anything by Anne and was the fourth time slip novel I’ve read this year – a genre I’ve really come to enjoy.

Beauregard Cottage sits on the site of a farmhouse which burnt down many years ago. There is also something of a mystery surrounding the owner, Olive Falla, who disappeared around the time of the fire. Natalie Ogier, quitting her highly paid job in London, has returned home to the island
Bookmuseuk
This book ticks many of my boxes – particularly the 'time and place' values of Triskele Books. Set on the beautiful setting of the island of Guernsey, Allen brings the past and present alive by detailing two generations of families who both live in the same cottage.

It’s 1940 during the German occupation of the island, and the cottage is owned by Bill and Olive Falla, who endure an unhappy childless marriage – until Olive falls in love with a German soldier and Bill is taken away to a prisoner ca
Nikki Bywater
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Natalie moves into her dream cottage. The cottage had been modernised and rebuilt after a fire had destroyed the original cottage. Although unique and a beautiful place to live in Guernsey, the cottage itself is quite isolated and secluded, so when strange things start to happen when she moves into the cottage, which look like ghostly goings on, and Natalie finds out that the previous owner disappeared under mysterious circumstance she decides to look into the story to try and find out what is t ...more
Jules
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anne Allen is a talented author who creates a deep and thought-provoking story in a friendly and comfortable-to-read package. Yet there is nothing flaky or weak about her writing.
Combining present day with wartime experiences, the two stories work perfectly together. This is a skill which many attempt but few manage to achieve with such quality and authenticity.
The historical details are brought to life with an interesting range of believable characters within the challenging circumstances of Gu
Nikki Brown
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-allen
A well written book and in my opinion one of the best in the series. I was hooked from the 1st chapter and subsequent chapters didn't disappoint.
Set between WW2 and present day, Echoes of Time is the story of Olive and Bill Falla in WW2 and Natalie Ogier, Stuart and Tabby in present day.
Hauntings and ghosts, intrigue and adventure fill the book.
This book is well worth a read, I cannot wait for the next book in the series.
Melba
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book lovers
This book was filled with love, happiness, sorrow, tragedy & suspense. It was a true pleasure to read, and to try and figure out the ending as the story progressed. The story moved smoothly, alternating between past & present; however, it wasn't hard to follow the story line at all, but was made more interesting by adding the history of the characters.
Karen's World
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book that describes the area so well it makes you want to go join them.
Love the characters it's a great way of learning about the war and how the islanders suffered.
This is a stand alone book but is part of a series where all the stories are great.
Joan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel is the winner of the Diamond Book Awards 2017 and is the fifth in the series of ‘The Guernsey Novels’. I’ve read them all and really enjoyed meeting some of the same familiar characters that were featured in the other five novels. I actually read the sixth novel in the series before this one; otherwise I had read the others in their chronological order. It didn’t matter at all because they all read well as standalone novels.
This is a dual time frame novel. The modern story is set in t
Cheryl Schenk
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoy Anne Allen’s writing and have found the Guernsey Island series an entertaining and enjoyable read. So far I’ve read books 1 & 5, now starting book 2. A little out of order, but I don’t believe it matters.
I find myself wishing I could travel to this island for a visit. Who knows, maybe one day.
Sandra McKenna
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series.

I am thoroughly enjoying this series of stories set in Guernsey. There is history, a mystery or two, and a touch of romance. The dual timeline is always so well done. Anne's books always draw the reader in from the beginning. I am looking forward to the next in this fabulous series, but at the same time, a little sad that it will be the last one.
Jo Barton
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is now the fifth book in the Guernsey series of novels and even though each novel comfortably sits on its own merits as a stand alone story, there are threads which run through each one, and fans of the series will recognise people and places previously mentioned.

As always the author draws you so completely into the story that the here and now quite simply disappears and you are transported back in time to the Guernsey occupation during the Second World War, a time when fear and suspicion w
N.A. Granger
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with books about the Guernsey Isles when I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows. Until then I had known nothing of the Channel Islands and what their inhabitants had endured during WWII. This book returned me there and had the added attraction of being a time slip novel, alternating between the present time and the time during that war.
In 1940, Olive Falla, a fairly independent young woman, who works as a farmhand on her father’s far, married Bi
Judith Barrow
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick word on the cover. I loved both the evocative image and the title

And I love books that give a sense of place; of an era. Anne Allen’s writing in Echoes of Time certainly does that. Her descriptions use all five senses to create a setting; there are some wonderful portrayals that instantly took me into the characters’ world.

But, sometimes, I felt that they slowed the action down and add nothing to the story.

Although well written, the plot itself is a little predictable: boy meets girl ne
Cathy Ryan
4.5*
The story weaves between the WWII years in Guernsey and the island in the present day. Olive married Bill Falla in the spring of 1940. Although not in love with him she looks forward to the security of having her own house. She soon finds out marriage doesn’t come close to anything she hoped for. Bill is a brute and a bully, and Olive’s life is miserable, made even more so by the occupation of the island by German forces.

In 2010 Natalie Ogier returns to Guernsey from the mainland to escape

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+
Connect on...:
Twitter
All the ‘Guernsey Novels’ are defined by their memorable characters, vivid setting and intriguing plots, ‘Echoes of Time’, has all of these qualities and something extra that makes it a gripping and worthwhile read.
The cross over and parallels between Guernsey’s past and present are explored in greater detail in this story and Natalie, who returns to t
Helen Baggott
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Natalie moves in to her new home, it’s all so perfect. A Guernsey summer, a garden with a sea view... there’s even an attractive neighbour to rekindle thoughts of romance. But it isn’t long before the past invades the present – in the most unlikely of ways.

Solving past mysteries is always evident in this series of books, and in this one we learn about the Occupation of the Channel Islands by the Germans during the Second World War, and its effect on the islanders; how some families are sti
Deborah J Miles
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The review goes live on my blog on 14th June as part of the Blog Tour for The Guernsey Novels.

I was invited to join this blog tour, and picked Echoes of Time because, of the 6 books in this series, I was most drawn to the cover and the title. And I'm so pleased I was...

Echoes of Time is the most enthralling read from start to finish, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Allen writes with an easy style, drawing vivid pictures in my mind's eye. I loved the way the story tantalisingly unfolded
Julie
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Anne Allen's Guernsey series and this one is no exception. Without ever having been there, she conjures up such a realistic image of the island that the reader feels as if they know it intimately. I'm sure that when I do visit it will feel like home as a result. This book is far more than pretty island descriptions though. I particularly love the way the author blends the past and the present, giving us an insight into what life under German Occupation must have been like. In this case th ...more
Lynn Osborne
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read of Anne's and I haven't been disappointed. It is sensitively written, cleverly bringing the flavour and colour of Guernsey to life, both now and during the war years, so much so that I have every intention to visit. The characters are true to life and likeable (apart from the villains of the piece, so to speak) with well placed chapters relating the current and back-stories of those characters. It is well-paced, so I found myself resenting the clock telling me ...more
Sally Jenkins
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely read. The chapters alternate between 2010 and WW2 and the characters from each time period are vividly portrayed. The reader can't help but get involved in both the passions and suffering of all the protagonists. If pushed, I would say I preferred the WW2 chapters because they taught me a lot about the hard time the Guernsey islanders had in the war.The book is billed as 'Book 5' of the Guernsey Novels - but it is a complete standalone story.
Recommended if you want to curl up wi
Wendy M
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
loved this book. sad that book six isn't ready yet. loved the Guernsey setting the relationships the history and the beautiful description of places known and unknown.
Tony Thorne
Jan 17, 2018
Margo James
Jun 23, 2019
Mrs Carol Goodchild
Jan 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Anne Allen lives in Devon, by her beloved sea. She has three children and her daughter and two grandchildren live nearby. She was born in Rugby, to an English mother and Welsh father. As a result she spent many summers with her Welsh grandparents in Anglesey and learnt to love the sea. Her restless spirit has meant a number of moves which included Spain for a couple of years. The longest stay was ...more

The Guernsey Novels (7 books)
  • Dangerous Waters (The Guernsey Novels, #1)
  • Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels, #2)
  • Guernsey Retreat (The Guernsey Novels, #3)
  • The Family Divided (The Guernsey Novels, #4)
  • The Betrayal (The Guernsey Novels Book 6)
  • The Inheritance (The Guernsey Novels Book 7)