Start by marking “The Triumph of Caesar (Roma Sub Rosa, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Triumph of Caesar (Roma Sub Rosa, #12)

The Triumph of Caesar

(Roma Sub Rosa #12)

Triumph of Caesar, The: A Novel of Ancient Rome, by Saylor, Steven
Published May 15th 2008 by St Martin (first published January 1st 2004)

Liviu
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reread in 2018 on the release of the long awaited Ides Gordianus book Throne of Caesar

- as there is no original read review from publication date (I have read all Gordianus books pretty much on publication and even earlier when i was lucky to get an arc), I will add only a few things -

I remember quite liking this one when I read it first being about Gordianus return to Rome and his investigation of a possible plot to kill Caesar at one of his 46 BC triumphs which Gordianus first refuses to do wh
Dale
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Triumph of Caesar is the 12th in the Gordianus series of novels set in ancient Rome. 'Gordianus the Finder' is a kind of private detective who started his career working for Cicero on a case of parricide. Now 30 years later Gordianus has acquired a house on the Palatine and is well known to the upper reaches of Roman society.

The year is 46 B.C.E. and Caesar has returned from the Civil war, the war in Africa, and the war in Asia. His wife Calpurnia is convinced that his life is in danger, and
Dorothy
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction and specifically historical mysteries
I had read all the books in this series about Gordianus the Finder, but it had been so long since the last one I read - "A Gladiator Only Dies Once" - that I found I had forgotten a lot about the history of the characters and I had a hard time picking up the thread here. Once I did, I just couldn't get that interested somehow. The writing seemed flat.

I think part of the problem is that, since I last read this series, I discovered John Maddox Roberts and Lindsay Davis, both of whom are much bette
Georgina Ortiz
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Hieronymus, Gordianus' Massilian friend, sums up what I think of The Triumph of Caesar (p.288): "You used to appreciate a puzzle, Gordianus--the more baffling, the better. What's become of your powers of deduction? Gone to Hades, along with your powers of observation, I suppose."

Maybe it was the author's intention to lay down the groundwork for Gordianus' eventual retirement. After all, he has been Rome's number one private investigator for three decades. But still, I found the plot a little thi
Linda
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of mysteries and/or historical fiction
Recommended to Linda by: Myself
This is the 12th book in Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series, which is set in Ancient Rome. I'm an historical fiction addict, and this is one series that I particularly enjoy. Not only have I learned a tremendous amount about the times, but Saylor's realistic characters make the ancient world something we can actually relate to today. He mixes imaginary characters with real historical figures, and the result is that names I had to memorize as a kid now are comprehensible as living, breathing human bei ...more
Eric Secoy
Great to read Saylor's description of the Roman forum just after I spent a couple of days wandering around the forum in Rome myself. Not much suspense in the mystery solved here, but the characters in this series are well established and Saylor's knowledge of ancient Rome makes this series one of my favorite mystery reads.
Jim Bogue
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the latest (and if the ending can be trusted last) in a series on Gordianus. It started slowly, and I was afraid it was symptomatic of a too prolonged series. But as it approached the Ides of March the action picked up, as Saylor swept in his huge cast of characters.
The end was fun, dramatic and (to me)unexpected. If it were not for the slow start it would a five rating.
Bea
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. In this book, there is a discussion about the Roman calendar and the need for a new calendar. My husband asked me if Methuselah's life years were the same as ours and, based on this book, it seems they might not have been. I will need to find more on the topic. I also realized that burial in Roman times was really different from now - no embalming, cremation. The stench must have been prominent! Finally, the main character (Gordianus the Finder) i ...more
Fernando Gonzalo Pellico
Última novela de la saga de Gordiano en cuanto a hechos. Amable y fácil de leer, quizá con más ingredientes del policial y menos de la histórica que a lo que nos tiene acostumbrados Saylor.

No es la mejor novela del autor, a ratos se me hizo lenta, pero vale la pena. Espero que a Saylor le de por sacar una sobre los Idus de Marzo del 44, pero nunca se sabe. Gordiano no podrá darnos a conocer a través de sus ojos a Octavio y sus alborotados tiempos, pero tal vez, sólo tal vez, Saylor opine que Ec
Jennie Rosenblum
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoy this series and this last book before jumping back in time of the life of Gordianus was a pleasant break from my recent non-fiction run of books. Once again the characters come to life - while I would always like to see more Bethesda in the book - I really enjoy the entering of their daughter Diana into a more major role. Her character, which is a great melding of both her parent's characters is well done and enjoyable. I know I'm a little behind on the series but I enjoy know ...more
Lance McMurchy
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
well, this one just felt tired. maybe Gordianus needs an afternoon nap - since he is getting old. After all the other books, this one would be the bottom of the Saylors' barrel. It seemed that histoty got in the way of a good story. And that magical realism bit, well, that came out of left field. the last book was a bit mystical, too. the book needed a spark, but the a mystical element didn't really work. Better luck next time, Saylor.
sarg
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The Triumph of Cesar" by Steven Saylor Gave this 5 stars. Like how this Authors uses 1st person. Writes as if he were talking to the reader. A bit of advise read on a reader or have your computer close so you can look up local, countries and many of the Roman terms he uses. Ceasars wife Calpurnia engages Gordianus "the finder" (Roman version PI) to discover who is piloting to kill Ceasar.
Uwe
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoy a book mostly based on three parts: Learning (in this case about history), character development and plot. This book contains fantastic historical detail and the general atmosphere of the time is what I truly enjoyed. The fact that it contains essentially no character development at all and a plot as complex as a prairie landscape made it at times difficult to pick up again, but the history pulled me in each time. The ending, though, almost made me put it down 10 pages within reach of th ...more
Bill
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say about book #12 in this wonderful series? I began reading the Gordianus novels when he and I were both (relatively) young. Just as I've lost a bit on my fast ball, so has Gordianus, but you can't keep a good man down. I consult part-time, and Gordianus "finds". There are few happy endings in history, and Mr Saylor is not one to alter history to suit his purposes. But there is always family, and the kindness and wisdom of a man called Gordianus have not faded with the years.
For any
Mike
A disappointing entry - the final entry if you don't count the prequels - to the Gordianus the Finder series. The mystery in this novel was hardly anything, and it was finally "solved" in a lazy way in my opinion. I feel like Saylor was out of ideas and just wanted to tell the history of Caesar's Triumphs and used the character of Gordianus to do it. But he did not do it in an exciting way like most of his previous books.
D. T.
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2: Another entry in the series that's a little thinner on the mystery and heavier on the historical events. There's always a reward in spending time with characters we've watched grow and evolve over 12 books, and even though it's not really a series highlight, it's still an enjoyable and quick read.
Kyra
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Yawn. How to take some historical narrative and stuff the cracks with a tiny bit of fiction. A light read for the frantic holiday season but basically not worth the time spent for the story - only for the historical narrative. Come on, Mr. Saylor, you can do better than this!
Donald Schopflocher
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Colorful descriptions of Roman Triumphs and the lives of the rich. Mystery was easier to solve than usual. Gordianus is a good friend and I will miss him as the series winds down. I am still looking forward to the prequels and the final book in the series.
Alayne
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable mystery set in the times of Julius Caesar. I figured out the murderer early on but it was still very entertaining.
Virginia Adi
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit odd with some errors--a character that was killed off in the last story appears again... but still an excellent series.
Leen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ending wow. I actually expected to know whos Caesar killer. it was a pretty entertaining book.
Des mots a la vie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une immersion totale dans la Rome Antique avec des personnages très divers et pourtant très proche des personnes qu'ils incarnent. C'est un roman très sympathique, et qui se lit très vite, mais qui ne constitue pas un coup de coeur ! Pour quelques heures de détente et un changement d'air, Le triomphe de César est parfait !
Faith Justice
I read a Gordianus the Finder mystery a few years ago, but don't remember which it was (there are eleven books previous to this one in the Roma Sub Rosa series.) I do remember mildly enjoying it and the series got a thumbs up from several people on this board. I picked The Triumph of Caesar out of the bargain bin because I truly enjoyed Steven Saylor's Roma: The Novel of Ancient Rome (review here) and thought I'd give this one a shot.

In the beginning of the story, Gordianus has returned to Rome
Ian
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I was a little put off this work by the scads of mildly negative reviews here on grs, however, I found it to be on par with the earlier Gordianus adventures. It is true that the four triumphs celebrated by Caesar (46 BCE) dominate the novel, but Saylor weaves his tale of intrigue and murder with his usual skill between these public elements to create an entertaining story.

Here Gordianus uncovers, just in the nick (literally) of time, a plot to assassinate Caesar, and manages to save the Dictator
Lianne
Jun 01, 2013 added it
Gordianus has returned from Egypt, and Bethesda has been cured of her illness in the sacred Nile. Pompey has been defeated and Cleopatra is Queen of Egypt, thanks to help from Caesar and his legions. Caesar has returned to Rome and no one knows whether he plans to be a dictator, like Sulla or whether he plans to become a King after seeing how convenient it is to be so close to the gods as Cleopatra can claim to be. Rome buzzes with intrigue because the Senate and Consuls will not let go of their ...more
Jean-Paul
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this backstage at the Blood Asylum during Howl-O-Scream 2013. Gotta say the sounds of torture and screams in the background really helped get me in the mood for a murder mystery. I'm not a huge fan of the mystery genre and I haven't read any of the other historical fiction mystery novels from this author, but the idea of a Roman age detective is a pretty good one and I think a TV show featuring the antics of such an investigator would be pretty good. From the mysteries I've read I'd say tha ...more
Gretchen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-rome
That's it?!?! There's no more?!?! Now what am I going to do?

I had been putting off starting this novel knowing it is the final book in the Gordianus the Finder series. Well, I started it and now I'm finished with it. I feel slightly empty. I feel slightly disappointed. There were a few things the bothered me about this novel. One was the lack of Eco. Eco has more or less disappeared from the novels since that whole deal with Catalina. I was always a little bummed out by that aspect of the story
George
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an author of historical fiction, Steven Saylor assumes the challenge of insinuating his detective in the everyday life of the high and the low in ancient Rome.

At its best, his work is captivating. At it's worst, Saylor's work is tedious and contrived. Perhaps the most interesting comments in The Triumph of Caesar can be found at the end of the book in the author's notes.

Considering historically inexplicable behavior by Julius Caesar, Saylor says, "Caesar's installation of the statue (of Cleop
Vicki Cline
In 46 BC, Caesar has returned to Rome after concluding the civil wars and is about to celebrate four triumphs. His wife, Calpurnia, has been consulting a haruspex who predicts that Caesar is in great danger. She tasks Gordianus the Finder to uncover the plot and protect Caesar. She had previously used Gordianus' friend Hieronymus (from the book Last Seen in Massilia) for this, but he was killed. Gordianus looks through Hieronymus' notes and interviews all the people he had been checking out, a s ...more
  • Alexandria (Marcus Didius Falco, #19)
  • The Year of Confusion (SPQR, #13)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
  • Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
Steven Saylor is the author of the long running Roma Sub Rosa series featuring Gordianus the Finder, as well as the New York Times bestselling novel, Roma and its follow-up, Empire. He has appeared as an on-air expert on Roman history and life on The History Channel.

Saylor was born in Texas and graduated with high honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he studied history and class

Roma Sub Rosa (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa, #1)
  • Arms of Nemesis (Roma Sub Rosa, #2)
  • Catilina's Riddle (Roma Sub Rosa, #3)
  • The Venus Throw (Roma Sub Rosa, #4)
  • A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa, #5)
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • Rubicon (Roma Sub Rosa, #7)
  • Last Seen in Massilia (Roma Sub Rosa, #8)
  • A Mist of Prophecies (Roma Sub Rosa, #9)
  • The Judgment of Caesar (Roma Sub Rosa, #10)
“There is nothing so unsure as the plans we make that rely on the sensible behavior of another human being.” 2 likes
“And, to his credit, he was a true defender of the republican virtues of debate, compromise, and consensus; a man like Cicero” 0 likes