Start by marking “How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea” as Want to Read:
How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea

How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea

Each day when the Queen wakes up, three maids dress her, two more style her hair, and her butler James makes her tea. But when she grows dissatisfied with her brew, the Queen and James set out in search of the perfect cup. With each stop on their hot-air balloon journey, the Queen encounters new friends who expand her horizonsin the kitchen and beyond.
Published March 1st 2017 by Carolrhoda Books (R)

To ask other readers questions about How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea

Start your review of How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea - Kate Hosford,Gabi Swiatkowska  Minus one star for neither giving the recipes nor the key to comprehend the little pictures. Fortunately, I don't like tea (except iced, I live in the South), so I'm not terribly offended. but really, the whole multi-cultural aspect suffers if you don't take the time to explain how different peoples prepare their tea. Not every kid will care, but the adults who read to them are always excited to find something in a book ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The book How the Queen Found the Perfect Cup of Tea by Kate Hosford is a unique and creative story about a privileged queen's journey to find the perfect cup of tea. The author takes her readers on a journey to different lands and cultures with beautiful illustrations by Gabi Swiatkowska. I especially loved each child's unique instructions on how to make a cup of tea.

I would have liked to see a few more places the Queen travels on her quest, but I thoroughly enjoyed what the author included. The
Shiloah
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Storywraps
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having to get up, be dressed by your maids, have your hair stylist work their magic on you, and every day order your butler to bring you tea can become quite boring and tedious when you are a Queen. Her majesty becomes discontented and very grumpy. She decides she dislikes the taste of her tea. She and James her butler fly off on a world-wide hot air ballon tour in search of the perfect brew to satisfy her disgruntled taste buds.

She visits a child in Japan, one in India and also in Turkey. Each
Becky
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's just because I love a cup of tea or maybe it's because the illustrations in here were so different and wonderful - I don't know but I LOVED this picture book. It's one I hope to own....all about the story of the queen off to find her perfect cup of tea. She travels to all different countries and sees how they make tea only to find that when she make it herself - that's the perfect cup of tea. ...more
Kathy
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much, it's charming with exquisite drawings and a delightful story.
I can't wait to read this story to my grandkids. They love tea parties and we are studying England next week.
Perfect!
Michelle Gray
Themes: friendship, tea
Beverly
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-royalty
Interesting how the Queen's dress's color evolves as she gets acquainted with different teas. ...more
Laura N
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Every morning the Queen wakes up, is dressed and has her hair done by a team of servants and is thenn served a cup of tea by her butler, James. Each day, the tea tastes worse and worse until, unable to bear it any longer, the Queen and her loyal butler set off in hot air balloon in search of the perfect cup of tea.
The Queen meets three children on her journey. Each child invites her to do something new and di
Mary
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
How far away is the perfect cup of tea? The queen goes on a quest to find the perfect cup of tea and learns some things along the way, not the least of which is that being independent can come with its own benefits.
Susan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of a privileged queen learning to open her heart through interactions with children she meets in her travels around the world. I loved that each child had an interest they wanted to share with the queen (kittens, playing ball, dancing) in addition to showing her how their local tea is made and chatting over a cup or two. The story is a reminder that adults can learn much from children and through travel. Evocative illustrations make greater use of color as the queen becomes mor ...more
Nicole
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What fun Hosford and Swiatkowska must have had working on this book! It surely feels like they had fun. I'm a huge fan of Gabi Swiatkowska's illustrations, and found the character of the Queen to be delightfully portrayed in words and images that worked perfectly together.

What I love, love, love about this book:
The transformation the queen goes through.
How children from Japan, India, and Turkey share their tea drinking traditions.
That tone of voice you can hear in your head while reading the que
Helen
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Bean Favorite (my granddaughter 😉) perfectly easy read-to for a 3 year old.
A fictional Queen (who as far as I’m concerned bears a big resemblance to Victoria) is dissatisfied with her cup of tea. She and her butler set off in a hot air balloon to find the perfect cuppa. She sets down in many exotic faraway places and what she learns about a truly perfect cup of tea is quite remarkable.
A story of life and friendship. No matter who you are. Or where you live.
Fran
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book just made my morning and although I'm enjoying my cup of coffee, I really want a perfect cup of tea. ...more
Viviane Elbee
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The kids and I loved this book - great illustrations, good message, and it’s funny!
Would appeal to people looking for books with travel, different cultures, tea time, a queen & friendship.
Leah
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
So cute! I love it!!!!
Jane
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Are you a tea enthusiast? You'll love this offering from Kate Hosford and Gabi Swiatkowska. And you'll laugh out loud at the evolution of the Queen's hairdo. Brilliant. ...more
Ronda
I really want to like this book, but based on the NetGalley ARC, I am a bit on the fence. First, as an eBook, the NetGalley version simply did not play well with my Android device. I was, however, able to get it to work on my computer. I liked many of the story elements-the adjectives and adverbs that accompanied each new tea venture, how each new friend was not overawed by the Queen, but, instead, announced that it was time she snuggled, dribbled, or danced (after she had poor James announce th ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, netgalley
Each day when the Queen wakes up, her maids dress her and do her hair, and her butler James makes her tea. When she decides that she does not like the tea, she and James head out to find the Perfect Cup of Tea. Each stop on their hot-air balloon ride, she meets up with a child, Norika, Sunil and Rana. They play a game or do an activity together, then make a cup of tea and drink it. She enjoys the tea and the company of the children. Suddenly she tells James to head home because she knows that th ...more
Sophia Igarta
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: author-study
This book focuses on the changed perspective of a once snooty, close-minded queen. However, through exploration and kindness, her attitude changes and she starts to reflect the kindness she received. To use in the classroom, I would have students discuss how each child changed her perspective on tea and on people. What are changes that you notice on her journey? What does she do when she returns to her palace that reflect this change?
The illustrations in this book are done in pencil, with light
Vicky
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story about learning to do things for yourself, and the satisfaction that goes with it, was clear but not preachy. We go along with the queen as she discovers this for herself—we are not beaten over the head with the message. The illustrations are vivid and have lots of things to interest a child. They remind me a lot of Maurice Sendak’s work.

Possible Objectionable Material:
Can’t think of anything.

Who Might Like This Book:
Kids who are becoming more independent, and parents who want to help
Debbie Tanner
This is a funny kind of a story about a snobby queen who is dissatisfied with the tea. She sets out with her butler to find the perfect cup of tea. She finds three kids in different parts of the world, who in addition to teaching her to snuggle with kittens, dribble a soccer ball, and dance, teach her how to make three different kinds of tea. It has a nice ending and think this would be a fun addition to our books on "how to" as well as comparing the different kinds of tea. ...more
Bmack
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this book! It is about a queen who is not liking the tea her servants make for her so she insists on going and finding a better cup of tea so she has her butler take her in a hot air balloon to find a good cup of tea. She finds children from different countries (although they don't tell us from where) and they make her a cup of tea like they do in her country. She ends up going home and finding the secret to a perfect cup of tea. Read to find out what that secret is! :)
Erin
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My anglophile, tea-loving heart is in love with this book! The Queen is becoming less and less enthused with her daily tea and she decides to set out in search of the perfect cuppa. Along the way she tries new tea and makes new friends and in the end she discovers it isn't the tea but who you drink it with that matters. I also love that the author includes a little bit of the history of tea in the back of the book. ...more
Olga Gula
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Published: 2017
Fantasy
Themes: Friendship, Being Humble
This was a very sweet tale about a Queen finding that the perfect cup of tea is the one shared with friends. I really enjoyed that the illustrations all looked like they were done with colored pencils, you can see the pencil lines which makes the pages have texture and movement. I would use this book to teach about the importance of friendship and how friends can make an every day task seem so much more fun.
Lynn
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Has the queen's tea gone bad or is there another reason she finds it unsatisfying?
Limited use of color done with colored pencil helps the reader focus on each character.
This book introduces the idea of traditions being similar in different parts of the world, as well as the need to try new things - with new friends, of course!
Kris Dersch
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was unexpectedly adorable, all about how people around the world enjoy this favorite beverage, told in a way great for read alouds and full of character. I wish it had recipes for the tea and was more clear about which culture each came from (there are hints.)
Alex Carden
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Published: 2017
Themes: Friendship, perseverance

My favorite part of this book was when the Queen and all of her new friend sat down to have tea all together. I would use this book to tell students that sometimes having friends to share things with makes everything feel better.
Lauren White
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for teaching how to writing or process text
MaryLibrarianOH
As someone who enjoys a good cup of tea enjoyed this story about discover what makes the best cups.

Fun friendship, adventure story.

• Overground Railroad
  • Charlotte and the Rock
  • One Hug
  • In My Garden

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »