Start by marking “The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal” as Want to Read:
The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal

The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  722 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Set in ancient times, during the Punic wars, this story follows the adventures of young Malchus, an officer in Hannibal's army. Henty describes the army's incredible journey through southern Europe and across the Alps in fascinating detail, providing both a lesson in ancient history and an absorbing story. The balance of power in Europe swayed between Rome and Carthage and ...more
Published February 15th 1999 by Preston-Speed Publications (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Carthaginian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Carthaginian

Feliks
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can not recommend to others, nor even tolerate myself--even with the widest leeway granted for a children's adventure book, this is frankly godawful. I had high hopes for this fine-looking printed work of historic fiction---it is a very handsome volume, complete with publisher's notes, author's preface, maps, illustrations, and superb cover art. In short, everything one could ask except good writing. The book fails on four broad points: content, technique, characters, and dialog. I will itemize ...more
Féarghal Mac giobúin
I first read the Young Carthaginian as a child.

Back then the Romans were popularly seen as the good guys, the civilising force of order against the barbarian hordes. To read this through the eyes of a young Carthaginian officer, a cousin to the dreaded Hannibal was groundbreaking for me.

Malchus is a sympathetic protagonist and we follow him through campaigns in Spain, southern France, across the Alps and into Italy. Hannibal's greatest triumphs such as the River Trebia, Lake Trasimene and of cou
Ethan
I think the book was good. There was a lot of history in this book.
Gloria
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
While it started out slow, the book picked up pace about half way through. There was also substantially more history in this book than the telling of a fictional story. As a history buff, I didn't mind it in the least. But others looking for a compelling story might be a bit bored.
Karen Gadd
Very dense. Hard to get started, but interesting.
Bill Suits
Not his best work and uneven.
Tim
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction
We borrowed this book (on CD) from some friends and listened to it in the van whilst traveling hither and yon. To my shame, it's the first Henty I've read. I have heard good things about Henty's work for a number of years, but this was my first experience.

I wish I could have given the book 3 1/2 stars, but I bumped it up to 4... I'm a nice guy.

It was a good story, packed with historical interests. The protagonist, Malchus, was quite lovable in a PG sort of way. He exemplifies many admirable cha
Vic Heaney
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old-fashioned adventure story. It follows Malchus, a young noble of Carthaginia, as he accompanies Hannibal's army as it invades Italy. Malchus takes part in all the astonishing battle victories of Hannibal and has a few adventures of his own.

A good way of learning some history (although Hannibal is already a hero of mine) at the same time as having a good read.

Of course the adventures, especially the implausibly easy escapes, stretch many points. Henty will not object to me giving him o
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-10-and-up
I read this book when I was 12 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them. http://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
Del
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book about a time I didn't know much about. The author does a pretty good job of transporting you back to give you a view of what life was like during the time of Hannibal. I enjoyed it, but someone who already knows a lot about this time likely would not. It is an era I haven't studied, however, so I learned enough to make it enjoyable.

Listened to the unabridged Audible.com audiobook version.
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • The Gorilla Hunters
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Dark Lord's Demise (The Archives of Anthropos, #6)
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Spy for the Night Riders
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...
“What, did you think," she asked, laughing as he struggled up the bank, "that I, a Gaulish maiden, could not swim?"
"I did not think anything about it," Malchus said; "I saw you pushed in and followed without thinking at all."
Although they imperfectly understood each other's words the meaning was clear; the girl put her hand on his shoulder and looked frankly up in his face.
"I thank you," she said, "just the same as if you had saved my life. You meant to do so, and it was very good of you, a great chief of this army, to hazard your life for a Gaulish maiden. Clotilde will never forget.”
12 likes