Start by marking “Happy Dreamer” as Want to Read:
Happy Dreamer

Happy Dreamer

A celebration of the colorful spectrum of what it means to dream and the many ways to find happy!

While the world tells us to sit still, to follow the rules, and to color inside the lines, Happy Dreamer celebrates all those moments in between when the mind and spirit soar and we are free to become our own true dreamer maximus!
Hardcover, First Edition, 32 pages
Published March 28th 2017 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Happy Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Dreamer

Start your review of Happy Dreamer
Archit Ojha
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I am a shout-at-the-top-of-my-lungs dreamer!"

There are so many ways to be a happy dreamer. What kind of dreamer are you?
The Reading Countess
Dear Peter Reynolds,
I ❤ Ish, and would never think to begin a school year without it. Ish pushes many of my kids outside of their comfort zone (you know the ones...the perfectionists who want to pitch you JUST what they THINK you want?), and it encourages many kids to push those boundaries further than they thought they ever could...those lines are suggestions at best and imaginary in a perfect world. Now you've sent HAPPY DREAMER out into the world...and I can't wait to share it with my
Kayla
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as charming and on-point as his other works, but still fun. I especially liked the chart of all the different "types" of happy at the end of the book. Great for helping kids learn about what makes them happy and what they can do to get themselves out of a funk.
V.A. Trafton
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is perfect for my grand niece-she has dreams and is always on the move. It's okay to have dreams, in fact I can relate to several of the dreams in the story(at end) and ways to be happy. As I'm sure you will find you do too and how awesome it is to be you!
Abigail
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Peter Reynolds Fans / Readers Lookinf for Children's Books Encouraging Creativity
Prolific picture-book author/artist Peter Reynolds, whose stories often encourage young children to explore their sense of creativity and artistic potential, delivers a semi-autobiographical meditation on the importance of dreaming in this latest venture. Highlighting the many kinds of dreamer there are - quiet, loud, colorful, chaotic - the narrative encourages the reader/listener to find their own way of dreaming...

Having greatly enjoyed Reynolds' "Creatrilogy" series of picture-books - The
Joshua Gross
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
The artwork was ok, it's fun to be imaginative, but this kid gets really depressed if asked to clean his room. I'm not sure what the message of this book was.
MaryLibrarianOH
Shows all the ways one can be a dreamer. Like how at times the text is artwork.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Peter H. Reynolds has quite the number of acclaimed (and loved) picture books on his roster: everything from The Dot, Sky Color, and Ish to his illustrative work for the Judy Moody series, Someday and Tesss Tree. Reynoldss work encapsulates a kind of lovely positivity- always gently uplifting but not saccharine- and I consider myself quite a fan! Happy Dreamer is an ode to the ones who dream (excuse the La La Land nod!); the quiet dreamers, the loud dreamers, the colourful dreamers, the ...more
Brittany Van
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Orchard Books, 2017, 32 pgs., Genre: Fiction, Grade level: 1-5, GR level: M, Lexile level: 490L
Happy Dreamer is one of my favorite picture books due to its inspiring moral message, vivid illustrations, and creative ideas. This books helps the reader reflect upon what type of dreamer they are and what inspires them in life. In addition, it helps the reader become aware of different types of individuals surround them and when they are the most creative. With this, the main character also helps
Becky
Happy Dreamer. Peter H. Reynolds. 2017. Scholastic. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am a happy dreamer. I'm really good at dreaming. Daydreams. Big dreams. Little dreams. Creative dreams. Dreamer maximus!

Premise/plot: This book asks, what kind of dreamer are you?! It also encourages every reader to be true to themselves.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It thoroughly explores the subject. It isn't always easy. Sometimes the world wants to box you in, shut you up, tell you
Ben Truong
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy Dreamer is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds, which celebrates the joys and challenges of being a creative spirit.

The text is rather simplistic and straightforward. A shaggy-haired boy narrates, explaining that while the world often tells him to sit still and be quiet. However, his dreams have a mind of their own. The illustrations exemplify the narrative rather well. The shaggy-haired boy is initially shown sitting at a gray desk in a gray classroom,
Steve Holden
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the message from this one by Peter Reynolds. It's beautiful to look through. I do feel that it's missing a bit of the feeling you get from his other works where you read it once and think, why didn't I come up with this idea and put it down on pages to teach all kids?! It doesn't make this one a bad book, but I love the other books so much, I feel this one needs a lesser rating from me.

The message here is one that again promotes creativity and individuality. It's so important for kids to
Catherine
All of Reynolds' books are gold!
Elisabeth
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the messaging! These pages, in particular, spoke to me (for some reason): "I have so many dreams it can get messy. CREATIVE CHAOS. Cleaning up hides my treasures. If you make me, I will put my things away. But then there is less ME to show."
Hannah (FreeInFiction)
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute book!! We got this for my baby cousin yesterday and it was on sale at Barnes and Noble so I would go check it out! What kind of dreamer are you?
Shiloah
Loved the theme of this one! It will be our standard birthday gift for all the birthdays we go to for the rest of the year.
Jessica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book tells about all the different type of dreaming you can do and that dreaming can lead to moving forward , not back.
Pauline
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this book!!! Gorgeous, whimsical illustrations paired with the perfect message for readers of all ages!
Sadia Mansoor
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children
Loveeeeee this book... Love everything about it.. the colors, the illustrations, the message, the truth in the wording.. EVERYTHING! The layout and the font was my fav.. I get so high watching and reading these type of books <3

Read it here and enjoy :)
Ally Kim
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy Dreamer was about a boy who is extremely happy about being a dreamer, he loves that it makes him creative. He brings up how every day he is told to pay attention and to focus, but it is hard for him, because his brain just wants to keep dreaming. Some days he is "put into a box" but he does not stay there for long, because his brain starts dreaming. He expresses how he has vivid dreams and dull dreams.

The theme of Happy Dreamer is to always be a dreamer. The book was designed to encourage
E
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like books with positive messages and I really wanted to like this one. It expresses strong appreciation for creativity, resilience, hopefulness, confidence, and self-acceptance, all traits in children that should be encouraged and celebrated.
But even with the energetic and colorful illustrations, I found the delivery flat. There is no plot or narrative arc to speak of, only the faintest hints at tension (followed on the very next spread by a simplistic and carefree "she'll be right!"
Barbra
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great Peter Reynolds book about being yourself, following your own path, being creative, and following your dreams whether they are big or small. This book would be a wonderful way of talking with children about enjoying life,and would be a great gift for new moms, grads and retirees.
Linda B
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I shared with my granddaughters and they also liked it. Great for any child, but especially those who follow the beat of a different drummer.
Catherine Drennan
Happy Dreamer by Peter H. Reynolds is about a boy who gets very distracted at doing his everyday activities because he can't stop dreaming about the amazing things he could do in the world. The boy telling his story gets sad when he talks about how people in the world tell him to be quiet and to be still. All he wants to do is express his excitement for being a dreamer and bringing his individuality and ambition to the table. He will not let the world stop him of his dream, and he makes sure ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Happy Dreamer, originally titled Amazing, Delightful, Happy Dreamer, is another definition of the acronym ADHD. In the Classroom Kit, Peter H. Reynolds explains why he created Happy Dreamer:

I wrote Happy Dreamer for kidsand grown up kidslike me. This really is my storya peek inside my brain.

Reynolds was a daydreamer. His brain had lots of energy and wandered around just like someone with ADD or ADHD. Back then, ADHD was less frequently mentioned and often not diagnosed . . .

Kids need to be
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Open Book Reviews By Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

Peter H. Reynold is so good at what he does. Every one of his books is just simplistically beautiful. Through his publication of hit after hit in the children's book world, Peter Reynold's has made a name for himself as both a talented illustrator and writer.

Peter Reynold's book, Happy Dreamer, fits perfectly in with the style of rest of his books. I would absolutely be able to know this was one of his books if you were to only show me
Megan Hanna
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary
A wonderful tribute celebrating all the different ways we think, learn, read, write, dream, and create. A book filled with poems that inspires you to live your dream and that it is okay to dream and imagine and encourages you to dream big and find your happiness.

Activity
After reading the book, use a poster board to create "Newspaper" all about you! Mention who you are, some of your strong points, what is your dream, name some characteristics about your personality. And post them all
Shaye Miller
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My friend and neighbor loaned me this book several weeks ago and I stored it away in a safe place so safe that it was too easy to forget I still had it until this week! 🙂 But what a beautiful book about hoping, dreaming, creating, and being original, even when youre feeling forced to do what others want you to do. There are so many pages full of bold artwork, along with Reynolds encouraging hand-penned text. In the back of the book, Peter H. Reynolds says:
Im a dreamer. Always have been. Not all
Courtnie Sepe
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy Dreamer is a happy feel good story. This story is a colorful bright inspirational book for children of all ages. Not all children are the same, some have difficulty focusing and can feel different. They hear things such as sit still or be quiet. Throughout the story, the author's main character shares his thoughts, his dreams and how he has a mind of his own. He also shares what makes him happy, they things he hears in his mind and the things his imagination create such as images in the ...more
Karen Bessin
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Happy Dreamer by Peter H. Reynolds (Orchard Books, 2017)

Publishers age range: Ages 4-8
My recommended age range: Ages 4-9

Happy Dreamer is an empowering book that challenges readers to embrace ourselves and cherish all our dreams and ALL the activities that bring us happiness. From the sparkly cover to the motivational endpapers and the soft yet colorful illustrations that culminate in a four-page pull-out spread that enumerates different dreamers and different ways of finding our own happy, this
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Jabari Jumps
  • Idea Jar
  • The Crayons' Book of Numbers
  • Cloudette
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.