Start by marking “Can I Be Your Dog?” as Want to Read:
Can I Be Your Dog?

Can I Be Your Dog?

(Can I Be Your Dog? #1)

A dog adoption story told through letters--from the dog, himself!

Arfy, a homeless mutt lives in a box in an alley. Arfy writes to every person on Butternut Street about what a great pet he'd make. His letters to prospective owners share that he's house broken! He has his own squeaky bone! He can learn to live with cats! But, no one wants him. Won't anyone open their
Published March 13th 2018 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Can I Be Your Dog?
Nancy Kotkin
Epistolary style picture book about a homeless dog trying to find a home for himself. Wonderful example of a surprising but inevitable ending. Also a very effective example of narrative structure. The deeply felt all-is-lost moment paves the way for a powerfully gratifying triumph at the end.
AMY
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
This book is very, very sweet. A dog writes letters to many local folks in hopes they will adopt him into their family/home. Nice twist at the end. It would be a good book to teach persuasive writing as well as letter writing. Illustrations are very colorful and cute. Kids will love it. Highly recommended for Grades K-3.
Kate Willis
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was absolutely DARLING! I loved the aesthetic of the book, and I'm sure little ones will love the detailed pictures. (I'm already planning to share this with my nephews.) I sympathized with the little dog's plight, and I couldn't be happier with the surprise ending. <3
Cheryl
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, animals
Arfy is a lovable and smart homeless dog. He begins a letter writing campaign in an attempt to find his forever home. Will he ever find someone to love and care for him?

I loved Troy Cummings heartwarming story about pet adoption! There are so many wonderful animals who desperately need loving homes, and this cleverly written childrens book brings this issue to the forefront.
Abigail
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Dog Lovers / Readers Looking for New Stories to be Used in Humane Education
A homeless puppy named Arfy just wants a human family and a place to belong in this poignant picture-book from author/illustrator Troy Cummings. Writing a letter to every house and establishment on Butternut Street, our canine hero presents all of his good qualities, only to be met with rejection at every turn. Fortunately, someone has been watching the whole process unfold, and is looking for a companion just like Arfy...

Although best known for his Notebook of Doom chapter-book series, Troy
Castle Spooktacular
I really loved it (and so did Ghoul). It's a story about a dog who writes letters and finds what he is looking for in the end. A loving home. I teared up a little, haha!
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures and a great story about a dog looking for a home. A good story to use for persuasive writing. :)
Ms. Yingling
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Library copy

Oh, Arfy, you can come live with me and Sylvie! A very cute book about a dog who writes letters to all of the people on Butternut Street and is rejected but ultimately finds a forever home. Sylvie seemed to enjoy it. Yes, I read to my dog!
Erika
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, dogs
I laughed. I might have shed a tear... or two... or three. Such a wonderful book with the perfect HEA ending. I really appreciate too that the author included some shorts tips for kids and parents looking for ways to make a difference in a stray animal's life.
paula
Ok a) this title makes me hear Iggy Pop in my head, so that's good right there. And b) TWIST HAPPY ENDING! Bonus lots of visual jokes.
Bridget Neace
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awww, this one was sweet. I definitely enjoyed it--and shout-out to my son who predicted how it would end!
Dan
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, so this is adorable. I hope it wins the Beehive Award.
Tasha
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Arfy is a dog looking for a home, so he writes to each house and business on Butternut Street. One by one though, they each say no. The Honeywells have a cat thats allergic to dogs. The butcher thinks Arfy might steal too many meatballs. The fire station already has a dog. The junkyard just sends a nasty note back. And no one is living in the abandoned house. But as she delivered each of Arfys notes, the letter carrier made her own decision. The book ends with tips on how children can help ...more
Alida
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 big WOOF WOOFS for this one. Adorable illustrations and a lovely story. And the cherry on top of this cake? The last page that gives you a list on how to help a homeless animal. Well done Mr. Cummings. NEVER buy (pet store or breeder), ALWAYS adopt.
Rachel
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun love the epistolary format and has a fun message the illustration add to the tone and characterization
The Library Lady
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I am a cat person, but I might make an exception for Arfy. Sweet without saccharine, and isn't it nice to see a positive mail carrier/dog relationship?
Caroline
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
A very heartwarming picture book told through an exchange of letters between a hopeful dog and his potential humans. I really loved this book and will definitely be using it in story times!
Gina
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I gotta be honest- I needed a book for a reading challenge last week that was told from a non human perspective, so I looked for a children's book from a dog view instead and was not disappointed- it was adorable!
Dawn Rutherford
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So sweet!
Bianca Orellana
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
This one warmed my little heart. My son loved the pictures, and the story is a good moral and emotional lesson for little ones.
Amber
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
So sweet. I even teared up.
Deb
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
This is a cute book. Alena and I both enjoyed it. Almost makes me want to adopt a dog.
Michelle
It's a rom-com about a dog wanting to find an owner. I literally teared up.
Mahasin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
Had to buy for my husband
Carmen Chacon
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story about a homeless dog trying to find a home. My nephew really enjoyed it he want me to read to him twice. He called it the sad story.
Calvin Read
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great book for introducing the the concept of "adopt, don't shop" to young children. Heart-wrenching, so sweet.

crying @ children's books - 9 teardrops / 10
Kelly
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an adult, I loved the book. For a child, I think they would love it too.
Carol Jen
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute, cute, cute and has a nice message about adopting animals. I'm glad Arfy found his fur-ever home :-)
Keri Overland
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-awards
What do you notice about the cover of this book? I notice he is carrying an envelope in his mouth. What are envelopes used for? That's right, to send mail to someone. I know that normally a mail person carries these letters but on the cover of this book, the dog is carrying it. I wonder if it's telling us something in this book. The title of this book is "Can I be your dog?" The dog is carrying a letter, I wonder who he is delivering it to.

1. Prompt predictions based on the title.
2. Raise
Katelyn Lee
Today, boys and girls, we are going to read a story about a dog. Who likes dogs? Who has a pet dog at home?
The book we are reading is Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings. This book is about a dog who writes letters to everyone on Butternut Street because he needs a home.
Do you think this book could be considered fiction or nonfiction? Yes, you are right! It is nonfiction because a dog cant really write letters, can he? Thats silly.
- Invite personal connections
- Draw attention to the genre

• Russell Wrestles the Relatives
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Shapes
  • Truman
  • Stegothesaurus
  • Shake the Tree!
  • How Are You? / ¿Cómo Estás?
  • A Place for Pluto
  • The Little Red Fort
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • What If...
  • Inky's Amazing Escape: How a Very Smart Octopus Found His Way Home

Can I Be Your Dog? (2 books)
  • I Found A Kitty