Start by marking “Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words” as Want to Read:
Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words

Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words

This first-of-its-kind collection vibrates with the high-voltage energy of today's most exciting female singer-songwriters as they speak out, look inside, and reveal their lives.

Sarah McLachlan:
"When I sang and played I'd get completely lost in what I was doing.  During that time, I was no longer this stupid, useless little ten-year-old who didn't have any friends.  I was
Published August 10th 1998 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about Solo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo

Start your review of Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words
Marie
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: music lovers, singer-songwriters
Shelves: nonfiction
I think I might not have been in the right frame of mind when I picked up this book. Perhaps because I had just finished the very dark "The Road"; who knows? I found myself scanning through some of these pieces...and I'm not much of a scanner.

The book was beautifully assembled, with black-and-white photos and essays by several women singer-songwriters such as Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow, Sarah Maclachlan, Jewel, Lucy Kaplansky, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash, Suzanne Vega, etc.

The most valua
Val
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
It took me forever to finish this book. As a writer, I found some of the writer processes intriguing. Needless to say, some entries were better than others. I liked the songwriters who dug deep into themselves to explain why they write, how they write and how life affects their art. Some of the others merely bashed everyone else. I think this would be an excellent book for writers of any genre, however.
Janice Marie Foote
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book set out to do what it was supposed to do most excellently. Let each female singer-songwriter speak in their own authentic voice. As well photographed beautifully in their natural states of being. Whether these are singer-songwriters whose music you listen to should not keep you from reading it; music is a universal language, and they all speak it fluently.
Angela
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was great! Loved the singers stories about their lives. They were inspiring!
Luigi
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, own
What writing songs means to some of the greatest women songwriters of all time in their own words.
Chuck