Start by marking “Barnyard Dance” as Want to Read:
Barnyard Dance

Barnyard Dance

Everybody sing along—because it's time to do-si-do in the barnyard with a high-spirited animal crew! From Boynton on Board, the bestselling series of board books, here is BARNYARD DANCE, with Sandra Boynton's twirling pigs, fiddle-playing cows, and other unforgettable animals. Extra-big, extra-fat, and extra-fun, BARNYARD DANCE features lively rhyming text and a die-cut co ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published October 1st 1993 by Workman Publishing Company

Start your review of Barnyard Dance
Jen
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Having read this book again...I'm stunned again by its poignancy. The cows...why do they dance? It keeps me up at night--which is probably not the point of the book.

However, as in most books, I am faced with a glaring lack of citations. I have no way of knowing if there is actually a dance in the barnyard. The author uses NO footnotes, endnotes, or even a bibliography. Her "proof" is some crude drawings, that can not have been taken from life. We're supposed to just accept her assertions that th
Kim
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are not reading this with a southern accent and a country western cadence, you need to hang up your kiddy lit! Great little book for kids - I had so much fun reading it to my kids when they were little. Heard someone on a plane recently reading it to her young son, and I wanted to grab it and give it the umph it deserves. But I resisted - all part of growing up I guess...
Jon Nakapalau
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love anything Sandra Boynton has done...nice 'break' from some of the 'heavy' books I am reading.
Bea
Lyrical, rhythmic text with adorable pictures, the story swings along and is fun to read. The expressions on the animal's faces are wonderfully expressive as is their body language. It's also a nice introduction to square dancing. My class of one and two year olds love this book.
Lstirl
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
STOMP YOUR FEET! CLAP YOUR HANDS! EVERYBODY READY FOR A BARNYARD DANCE! And dance is just what every parent and child will want to do after exploring this book.

This book is complete in its ability to delight both parents and adults. The fun, comical illustrations are brightly colored and easy to recognize and are simply delightful. The book's language is heavy with engaging rhythm and catchy rhyme. There is just enough text on each page to keep very young children from getting bored while still
Shiloah
We have read this book to all of our kids over the last 20+ years. Our current baby (2.5 yr old Nicolette) loves it too.
Bronwyn
Read this a bunch last year but apparently never logged it! This is really cute. Really fun rhymes and rhythm. My son likes bouncing to the beat.
Adrian
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
3/7/2011:
This book was your very first favorite book! Your dad and I decided that you probably liked it because of the rhythm and you could follow and bounce along to it. For several months, this was required daily reading.

As you got older, you started pointing at the animals.

By the time this one fell out of the daily required reading regimen, the top part of the cover was torn and folded. However, you'd be hardpressed to find a book that was better-loved for teething.
Kristine
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-zman
My son looooved this when he was 2! Great memories.
Alexandria
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, baby-toddler
An adorable board book that is more entertaining if read in a rhythmic tone. The barnyard animals are having a dance using a majority of the normal movements of the animals. This adorable book is not only a good way to teach your child about animals but about the sounds that they make as well. The illustrations are simple and fun to look at because the animals on each page are busy doing their dances.
June
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: caregivers of young children
Recommended to June by: Elissa & Polly
Looks like a lot of fun for a toddler story time. Wish I had seen this for my last Lap Time program. 9/25/12

Worked quite well at Lap Time. I used it again in Story Time- since I had a younger crowd and had the children\toddlers stand up and act it out, which was a grand success. 9/18/13

Used again for both Lap Time and Story Time and then played the song from the Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs CD. 9/16/14

Used for Baby/Toddler in both programs and then played the song from the Rhinoceros
Megan
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Anyone familiar with Boynton's books will recognize the animals here doing various dance steps. The great thing about Boynton's books are that the animals are easily recognizable from book to book for the kids, but she can make subtle changes in their expressions which make adults smile as well. (Check out the look on the sheep's face as he has to "twirl with the pig".) Once you are fairly familiar with this book (which won't take long because your little one will want to hear it over and over a ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, Barnyard Dance! (Workman Publishing, 1993)

More fun, musically-inclined Boynton, though there's a piece or two of this where the rhythm is such that you might not get it on the first try unless you're familiar with the two-step—might want to give it a quick read-over yourself before launching into it with the kiddies. But like everything Boynton puts out, it's fun, engaging, stands up to repeated readings, and you'll enjoy it as much as the kids do. *** ½
Bryce
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sandra Boynton is a master at getting people physically involved in reading her books. (Literally) - these are just great fun to act out as you read them to your kids. Laughter is pretty much guaranteed. I think this is the best of the Boynton books, and I have them all.
Drew Graham
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
All the barnyard animals gather for a dance party! Because they do!

Another fun frolic from Sandra Boynton, the master of rhythm and rhyme and toddler appeal. What else is there to say? (Except that this one isn't from our personal collection -- thanks, Nana's house.)
Elizabeth Rose
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book would only be better if it was a barnyard dance with baby farm animals.
sheba
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indio
indio loves this book and can't get enough of emil's country singing. makes you want to get up and square dance!
Polly
So much fun for storytimes with the under 3 crowd!
Jennifer Morgan
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My children love this book. They get up and follow along with the dancing in the story. It is really wonderful.
Kathryn
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Fun! My little one seems to really enjoy this one and I like reading aloud in a bit of a sing-song way like I'm calling a barn dance ;-)
Jennifer Kelley
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Boynton is wonderful! 'Nuff said.
Villette
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read, fun rhythm, a great way to read to our newborn in just 3 minutes. Just plain fun!
Samantha
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Sandra Boynton book! We have loved this one over the years. Glad to still be able to read it to other little ones.
Aj Sterkel
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Baby Brooklyn and I read Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boynton. We had too much fun with this book. It’s written like a song that describes how each animal is dancing. Why are the animals dancing? I have no idea, but we danced along with them. Be grateful you weren’t around to see that. It was probably mortifying. We are not good dancers. It's a fun book, though.

Do you like opinions, giveaways, and bookish nonsense?
I have a blog for that.
Veronica
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
What can I say? These books are growing on me.
Kimberly
Excuse me, I'm going off to find some farm animals to square dance with.
Zayna
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Boynton's done it again with yet another adorable book! My 2 year-old niece absolutely loves this book (and has done so since she was one). Each time we read it, it elicits the same reaction from her--an immediate dance session that leaves her dizzy and delighted. While she still has no idea what a promenade is, she's certainly learned her animals and the different movements they make. Her favorite is twirling with the pigs, while mine is standing with a donkey. The artwork is also super cute! T ...more
Dolly
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
We have loved our songbooks by Sandra Boynton - both Philadelphia Chickens and Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs have gotten some serious bedtime play in our house and I can sing most of the songs by heart.

So when I saw this board book, I knew what to expect, since the song is included on Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs. It's a fun and colorful way to share this humorous song together, and introduce younger children to the wonders of Boynton's characters.
Lisa Hartmann
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boyton is so much fun! I love her books! This story is what is says barnyard animals dancing. The animals in this story are just having a great time dancing. The illustrations are so much fun and so silly! The colors are nice and the faces on the animals are priceless! I enjoy reading this to my three to five year old students. After reading the story we get up and read it again only this time we do what the animals are doing. The kids love to get up and dance with the a ...more
Zoraya Brown
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book in my classrooms. I have mostly read it to infants, but also tried it with preschoolers once and they loved it! When I read it, I use a silly voice during the entire book and I make an actual song out of the lyrics. I always hear a country, line dance type melody in my head when I read it, so after singing each page, I make a banjo-type melody, the same one each time. The infants that I read to get very excited, wiggle around and laugh, and the music makes th ...more

• Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Time for Bed
  • Big Red Barn
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more

News & Interviews