Start by marking “The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places” as Want to Read:

The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places

Twelve-year-old Nell Perkins knows there is magic at work that she can’t yet understand. Her mother has been taken by witches and turned into a bird. Nell must journey to get her mother back, even if it takes her deep into the Wicked Places — the frightening realm where Nightmares resides. There she must break the spell and stop the witches from turning our world into a li ...more
Published March 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places

Maya
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

THE FEARLESS TRAVELER'S GUIDE TO WICKED PLACES is about a young girl and her two brothers who embark on a journey to save their mother, who has been turned into a bird. This trip takes them to the Dream World, divided between the Nightmares and the Dreamers.

This was a fun little tale. I think that's what I like most about children's fiction, is the fact that you have so much room to do whatever you want (within reason), and make it as enjoyable and weird as you want to.

I really enjoyed
Every Grant
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My mother got an arch from Netgalley over the summer and I had the privilege to read this work of art. I loved the way that book flowed and how imaginative the book was. The characters were so original and being the comedy fan that I am I was so happy that the author managed to add some comedic relief when the book was getting intense. I would read this book again and again and again! The author created a whole world of craziness and excitement. The balance between adventure, suspense and Witt w ...more
Narelle Richards
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest opinon. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and feel it has lots to offer a middle school reader from about 11 years upwards. It was really well written with some beautiful moments that really caught and held my attention. 'The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places' has a super lead character in Nell Perkins, who is about to discover that what has made her see the world differently from other children is what will make her a fearless tr ...more
Irena
Oct 28, 2016 is currently reading it
This is my pick for Halloween read this year!

description
Sam
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review and this has not changed my opinion of it.

Such a unique look at dreams and where dreams come from and what happens when we sleep. Now throw in Nightmares and Dreamers and skeletons and evil clowns and leprechauns, seriously, this book has basically everything you could ever imagine in it. I loved the magicalness of basically everything in the world. It was a true work of fantasy for middle grade readers. We follow Nell Perkins and her two bro
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was really looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the writing style.

Still recommend.
Katrina Ayala
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come closer to publishing date
Sophie (Blame Chocolate)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review at Blame Chocolate.

The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places is a wonderful story about a dauntless 12-year-old girl's journey to save her mother and the entire world along with her.

When I first read the synopsis, I felt for sure this would be a nice children's story but probably unable to blow anyone's mind. There had to be at least a thousand other similar plots out there, with equally pretty covers to draw the readers in.

How wrong I was. [...]

From the very first page The Fear
LIZ DAY
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How often do you find a book that feels so good that you want to keep it a secret? This is one of them. I found myself going off to bed early to escape inside this world. I even missed my subway. Not only was I entranced by the wonder of it all but I laughed out loud quite a few times. Great Book!
Starkgirl2004
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK! Beautiful writing. Nell is an awesome character!! Fans of Spirited Away, Adventure Time, The Golden Compass, The Phantom Tollbooth and Alice in Wonderland will be swept away by this crazy inventive world. I also like thought the themes very relatable.

“You will get lost.
You will be afraid
You will fail
You will fight
You will remember
And without doubt:
You will find your way home.”
Joereads
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ!!! I was intrigued by the cover and the book did not disappoint. Completely original story that takes readers on a thrilling ride into the world where Dreams & Nightmares live. Nell is a beautifully written character. The book is at turns scary and funny and filled with emotion.
Hannah Greendale
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places has a unique premise and shows real promise, but it falls short in its delivery.

The book opens by alluding that a dark tale lies in store. People have been vanishing from the little town of Mist Falls. Twelve-year-old Nell Perkins witnesses an abduction; she's the only one who really knows what's happening, but no one will listen to her, because Nell Perkins was well known in her small town for claiming to see things that did not exist.

When someon
Cassiopeia's Moon
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, arcs
It has been almost two months since I received this ARC from NetGalley and the digital copy was about to expire. But I could't let that happen and now I have finally finished this middle grade fantasy novel.

The story follows Nelly and her brothers who have to travel into the land of Dreams to rescue their mother. But it is not an easy journey. The Dreamlands are not following the rules of reality, which means everything is possible and nothing is at is seems.

description

I enjoyed this story very much. It wa
trishajennreads
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars!

Enchanting. Lovely.

From the the first page, I was hooked. I fell in love with the first poem. Then the prologue. So gorgeous. From the first word, I wanted to read this story aloud. It is beautiful. It is intricate and simple at the same time.

Whew! And that was just the opening pages.

This book begs to be read aloud.

Then I started chapter one. And I continued reading aloud. To myself. I don’t read a lot of middle grade. When I do, I often find it cheesy or too simplistic. This book is n
Rachel Stansel
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I completely enjoyed this unique adventure full of magic and mystery. Aimed at middle grades, it would appeal to those who enjoy adventure sagas such as Rick Riordon's series. There were times when it felt a bit rushed or a bit slow, but overall the pace was good. The end in particular I felt was quick after the long leadup. I would still recommend this to middle grades or as a read aloud family story.

Full disclosure - I received the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Pammycats
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
By Pete Begler

I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
"You will get lost. You will be scared. You will fall. You will flee. You will fight. You will learn. And without doubt: You will find your way home."
The above is a quote from the the Fearless Travelers' Guide (page 205 in my copy) and is its main theme. Kids today (especially girls) are so focused on being perfect. I love this quote and idea so much that
Nicole
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.
The book comes out in March 1st, 2017. It's still a while, but I can really recommend it and hope you guys keep an eye out for it.

“You will get lost.You will be afraidYou will failYou will fightYou will rememberAnd without doubt:You will find your way home.”

Summary: Twelve-year-old Nell Perkins knows there is magic at work that she can’t yet understand. Her mother has been taken by wit
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Thanks to NetGalley and Capstone Young Readers for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Nell and her brothers, George and Speedy are in for the adventure of their lives when their mother is turned into a bird and they must fearlessly travel into the Dreamlands to change her back. Accompanied by experienced travelers, Badger and Pinch, they must make their way between nightmares and dreamers to reach the wicked places before the Dark Daughters unleash a plague upon the world.
Esther
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Got a copy of this book via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This book took me almost two months to finish. I don't really know why it took me so long to get through. It is the main reason that I give this book 2 stars.

The story overall is very unique, I've never seen a story like this one. There is a lot going on in this book, I think you could make 3 movies out of it, and I don't know if that's a good thing, because the book is action paced but never exciting enough to me. Maybe tha
Alysa H.
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has a great concept and a strong opening, but ultimately gets bogged down in a morass of its own ambitions. Some of the writing is truly, darkly lovely but its not enough to carry the story.

In the first part, we're introduced to Nell Perkins, an odd girl who frequently sees strange things that no one else can see. Nell is a likeable MG character, and is initially a lot more fleshed-out than anyone else. This includes her mother Rose -- more like a MPDG than a person, if that trope can
Juli
You will flee.
You will fight.
You will learn.
And without a doubt,
You will find your way home.

Nell Perkins is 12-years old. She loves her mom and her brothers, and lives a relatively normal life. Until a strange storm hits. A weird purple cloud shaped like a skull appears in the air, chasing her and her mother. What happens next sends Nell and her two brothers on a magical journey through Dreamland -- witches kidnap their mother and turn her int
Wensday
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Reading the synopsis of this book caught my attention right away along with the intriguing cover.

The book's beginning was very exciting but faded in the middle for me. If you find yourself feeling this too, continue to read on as the book picks up through to the end. The writing was good and I found myself getting so into the book that I literally felt a pull when interrupted when reading it.

I hope to get the chance to read more books by Peter Begler. I received an un-proofed copy of the book fr
Dwi Grandison
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imaginative ! Suspenseful ! Scary ! The story of Nell and her determination to save her mother is inspiring. Nell, with the help of the Fearless Travelers and friends she makes along the way, learns that the things she thought made her strange and solitary are the very things that define her and make her special. There were twists and turns, scary, creepy villains and heart warming friendships and family ties !
Billie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
So, Goodreads sent me a kind of nasty e-mail stating that I had to disclose that I received a free copy of this book. I honestly doubt that, had I given it four or five stars, this would have even been an issue. But, yes, full disclosure, I received a free copy of this book. Free or not, I still wanted it to be better.

Reading this, I got the impression that the author was a huge fan of Neil Gaiman and Zen meditation and thinks "alright" is all right. This book has a bad case of trying-too-hard a
L.P. Logan
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
So what we have here is a book that is excellently crafted and delivered for its target audience: children to tweens. Everything is all about magic, the creative genius of what might be, and because of this, anything and everything is possible. My kids loved it. Which is saying something.

I would not recommend this book to adult readers who are looking to read this one for their own enjoyment without first taking on the right mind set. Yeah, things are not going to necessarily make sense to you,
Donalyn
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I had an "Abandoned" shelf, but I must have deleted it and I don't want to make a new one.
I'm a huge fantasy fan. I didn't enjoy the world-building or the writing style after 130 pages of trying. Too much explaining and not enough revealing. Reads like someone writing a children's book, who hasn't read many in awhile.
JaneBooklover
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kids LOVED this book! We read this aloud over the holidays and were all swept away by this magical, ever changing world. It had all the joy and whimsy of a Doctor Seuss book but with moments of real scary stuff (but not that scary!) It reminded us of Spirited Away, the Golden Compass and Coraline. As a mother I also found Nell's quest to save her own Mom, very real and touching.
Joana Bookneeders
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
* Received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much! This doesn’t affect the review in any way. My opinions, are as always, my own.*
...
Since the very beginning, the story is extremely gripping. It has quite a slow start, but you just can't stop reading it!

First of all, the world building was extremely imaginative, creative and purely beautiful. Dreamland is dark and scary, but at the same time its beautiful and inviting. It was really easy
zapkode
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
{My thoughts} – Nell Perkins is a twelve-year-old girl that has a unique understanding of the world around her. She has an uncanny ability to see things, to see people as they are, instead of as the way everyone around her is able to view them.

In the beginning someone important to Nell is taken and she and her brothers go on a journey to try and rescue and save this person. Their journey begins in the awake world and then moves into the dream world and then back to the awake world.

I really thoug
Sarah Capon
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Set in a very intriguing world, filled with ghastly and imaginative creatures, and with lots of magical elements. I was so sure I was going to fall in love with this dark fairytale-esque story…But I didn’t. Although it started off well with an original plotline and likeable characters, it soon became confusing and generally a bit...meh. I didn't bond with or relate to any of the characters which meant my emotions throughout were flat lining.

Around halfway through I became rather disenchanted wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Wingsnatchers (Carmer and Grit, #1)
  • Grave Images
  • The Thornthwaite Betrayal (Thornthwaite, #2)
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Oddity
  • Claude at the Beach
  • Over the Underworld (The Unbelievable FIB, #2)
  • The Grudge Keeper
  • Prelude to Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #1)
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Ambergate
  • The Misadventures of the Magician's Dog
  • Ned’s Circus of Marvels (Ned’s Circus of Marvels, #1)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
You will fail
You will fight
You will remember
And without doubt:
You will find your way home.”
2 likes