Start by marking “Hungry Ghosts” as Want to Read:

Hungry Ghosts

A rocky relationship threatens to ruin Lara Adams’ first time abroad. To her surprise, she finds that she and her boyfriend, Ray, have arrived in China during the “Hungry Ghost Festival”. Swept up in the warm mood of the festival and people, Lara feels things may finally improve. This year, however, the ghosts have found a new way to prolong their stay in this realm.
Published July 31st 2016 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Ghosts

Start your review of Hungry Ghosts
Dianne
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sock this ghost story away for telling around the campfire this fall. Every country has their customs and when Ray and Lara go to China, they discover that the celebration of the Hungry Ghost Festival certainly has some quirky ones. They also soon discover is there is more to those offerings of food and clothing than meets the eye and the Hungry Ghost Festival is not like a trip to Mardi Gras. They even receive a list of rules NEVER to break, but break one, they do and the results are ghastly, o ...more
Janie C.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
An eerie short story that gives us the rules of the Chinese "Hungry Ghost Festival." The ghosts have rules of the own.
Liz
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, paranormal, shorts
I really enjoyed this story. The relationship was realistically falling apart, the setting was spooky and it was one of those times where as a bystander you just know that they should not do what they’re about to do, because that’s when things start to go wrong and people start dying.
 *RoseyCheeksReviews*
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Honest Review

Calvin writes some amazing short stories. First I got to read Labor hunt, I got a tale sprung about century old vampires, Now I got century old ghosts! FUCKEN HELL YES!

Now there's something about the way Calvin writes in this book that makes the hairs on my neck stand up! this is by far my favorite short story by him. The way he captivated me from the first page was incredible, normally it takes a little bit for me to be hooked into a book but the first sentence caught my attention.

"TEN TIPS FOR SURVIattention.
NowReview

Donna
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A creepy little story perfect for a campfire ghost story, while you’re in the dark woods.
Magda Żmijan
A couple travels to China during Ghost festival. It seems like a harmless holiday for them, but townspeople take things seriously and for a reason. It doesn't take long for Ray and Lara to get into troubles.

What will you find here? A short introduction to the couple's situation, fast action scenes, creepy bloodthirsty ghosts. This story will be enough to make you think twice about breaking any holiday rules when you're abroad ;).

If you're a person who likes being scared from time to
Amy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories, and i love when the story is completely devolped and the writing is really good. This story had all of that and more. The story is about a couple on a trip, but the author doesnt bombard you with details about their surroundings. I love the simplicity of the story. It felt very classic ghost story. Simple and spooky
Note: This book was provided to me in return for an honest review.
Nadja (fit-and-beautiful-heart-reads)
Note: A copy of this short storie was provided by the author for an honest review.

Lara and Ray travel to China during the time of the Hungry Ghost Festival, where the ghosts had developed a special plan to stay longer in the realm.

Again fast paced full of action and since I am a chicken it creeped me out.

The writing is great it is like reading a whole novel on 16 pages.

Just because I am a chicken and some scene descriptions are not my thing 3 out o
S.J. Budd
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lara and Ray have just reach their hotel in China, their first holiday abroad. The trip of a lifetime and beyond! They have arrived during the Hungry Ghost Festival. The streets are adorned with lights and offerings to the dead who are both loved and revered. Upon reading the ten tips for survival Lara realises that Ray has already broken the first rule.

In this action packed tale which takes you on a creepy and gruesome path Lara and her boyfriend, Ray, have gone on a once in a lifetime holiday
Lydian Faust
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting take on Chinese ghosts. There was some enjoyable gore, but this tale could have been a lot longer to include more character development and flesh-out the plot a bit more.
Sheilah
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short stories are a good way to pass a few minutes. Whether out on lunch, or stuck in the waiting room, they help to pass the time and don't leave you lingering.

I've always been a fan of short stories ever since reading my mother's subscription of Story as a child. And my fan-ish ways continue.

Demmer is a good writer, he certainly has the writing gift and I believe he will do well as a writer as he continues down his chosen path.

I enjoyed Hungry Ghosts the bes
A. Hunt
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hungry Ghosts
A guy and his gal go abroad, to China, during a strange celebration. While traveling, they take a walk along a path that leads to their undoing. Can they survive the celebration? Can they survive who's doing the celebrating?

I adore horror short stories; you all know this. But what I love more than anything is when someone finds me and shares some really good ones. Both of these were written well, and kept me reading- hungry for more even! Hungry Ghosts was different and ori
K.J. Simmill
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Hungry Ghost festival is the most important festival of hungry ghost month in China. The gates of hell are opened and hungry ghosts are released to find food or to take revenge on those who have behaved badly. Their ancestors present offerings to feed these ghosts, as well as burn clothes, money and items they may need in the after life. But some ghosts are not so easily appeased.

Lara and Ray take a vacation in China in the middle of this festival, they are at a crossroads in the
TDCbookreviews
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nia Ireland
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author for a complimentary copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.

Hungry Ghosts was a 16 page spookfest, starting off with the 10 rules of surviving the festival of hungry ghosts. Clearly, Lara and Ray didn't mind these rules while on holiday in China... to their cost.

I really enjoyed the premise of this story, especially the 10 rules at the beginning but as it was such a short story it wasn't possible to fit each rule in to the narrative. Th
Sunshine Somerville
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I found the cover intriguing.
Secondly, short stories can be tricky. You want enough detail to set the scene but not so much detail that you can’t get to the meat of the story. It’s hard, in so few pages, to be drawn into whatever mood, tone, feel of the story that the author is trying to create. It’s hard to become quickly invested in a character. It’s hard to tell a complete, full story in limited time.
This short story, with all of the above considerations, does a great job
Yolande Branch
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book by the author, Calvin Demmer in exchange for an honest review.

This story was very short and very gripping! When I first read it I genuinely thought Lara and Ray were going to be ok but clearly the "hungry ghosts" had other ideas!

The scene set down the river was quite chilling and definitely captivated the storyline in a short space of time. The rest of the storyline  was a right tease and had me intrigued from the start and just as I was get
Larry
Tim
Aug 04, 2016
Tia
Aug 27, 2016

• Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Lullaby of Flames
  • Dearest Clementine: Dark and Romantic Monstrous Tales
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Torn (Selfish Myths, #2)
  • The Kennedy Boys Box Set (Books 4 - 7)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • The Guardian of Blackbird Inn
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me #5.5)
  • Darkling's Beasts and Brews: Poetry with a Drink on the Side
  • Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)
  • Night Warden (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Call of Death
  • Escaping Grace (The Turning, #2)
  • Scarlet Huntress
  • Sons of Fire
  • The Grace Year
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.