Start by marking “The Map of Good Memories” as Want to Read:
The Map of Good Memories

The Map of Good Memories

There are places that remind us of happy moments. Zoe, a little girl who has to flee from her city with her family because of a war, remembers them before she leaves. She uses them to draw a “map of good memories,” knowing that they will always be with her.
Published March 14th 2017 by Cuento de Luz (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Map of Good Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map of Good Memories

Start your review of The Map of Good Memories
Susie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful concept for a book! I saw it recommended on a blog post about picture books relating to math as it relates to shapes and spatial relationships. It makes you wonder: what would you include in your map? 7th grade social studies teachers on my middle school teams often started students off wtih the assignment to draw a "home to school map." It was a little disappointing at times to see how many struggled to do it; I wonder if Google Maps would make that easier now, or if we rely too much ...more
Randy
Is there anything that can not be mapped? In this book, a young girl about to leave the city of her birth, takes out a map of the city and marks on it all the places that hold a special memory for her. Before Google tracked the places you visited, this is the way to have done it. There's still something to be said for taking out a map of a location and noting the places of interest upon it.
Jennifer B.
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have found a signed copy of this donated by the author at my local library. Also, it is printed on stone "paper", which is really cool, gives an interesting weight and texture to the pages.

It's a nice book, though bittersweet. The watercolor illustrations are lovely as well.
Brittany
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this states that it is about fleeing because of a war, I could see this being useful for military children to help them remember where they grew up and the things they loved about the cities they’ve lived in and had to leave, as well.
Lin Lin
War left her city deserted, but Zoe was able to draw a map of her hometown where each place is connected with good memories. The map she drew could be everyone's hometown, and we all have to move away from our hometown sometimes in life. The map helps us always remember a place with fond memories.
Danette
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
1/11/18 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book! I love that it comes in many different languages so people from all countries can relate.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
When war forces Zoe and her family to leave their city, she draws a "map of good memories," so that they will always be with her. A simple, effective refugee story imported from Spain. An interesting production note: The publisher is a Certified B Corporation: No trees, no water and no bleach is used to create its books. Books are produced using stone paper.
Ms. B
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, 2018
Loved this story about Zoe who makes a map of all her favorite places when she must flee her home because of war and discovers a secret message (shape) within the map. It made me wonder what shapes or patterns we might see if we made our own maps.
Diane Gabriel
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just sent this with a thansgiving care package to nieces and nephews

Wonderful and brief little book!
The irony is that I picked this as a thanksgiving book for my nieces and nephews along with Too Many Pumpkins and some vegan snacks. I purchased the hardcover for them and the kindle version for myself out of curiosity (no library on my libby ap had it)
And I found that it was a book about saying goodbye to a city! I am saying goodbye to my nieces and nephews for a while relocating to another
Miss Kelly
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this picture book. It would be a great sit down "family read". You could spur a family discussion on where are some of your favorite places you like to visit. The book is made from STONE PAPER (Water and tear resistant. Produced without water; without trees and without bleach. Save 50% of energy compared to normal paper. " The book is about a 10 year old girl who must leave her town because of war, but to remember her home she had to leave she took a map and filled it with all the ...more
Emily Ray
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true work of art. The watercolor illustrations are eye-catching, and the text flows well. It is a unique concept, connecting to children of so many different backgrounds. Those with an interest in art/location/architecture will appreciate Zoe's map-making. I think most adults will find it deeply sentimental, because the places Zoe mentions are common memories for nearly everyone. My favorite aspect of the story is that it acts as the perfect introduction to refugees for children. ...more
Jacelynn
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forced to flee her home due to war, Zoe creates a map of all the places in her town where she has had "good memories." This eloquently illustrated book reminds readers of how powerful memories are and that no matter where we physically are, we will always have certain places in our hearts and in our memories. I think this would be a great book to teach elementary school students about war, the power memories, and even about writing about a part of their lives. I thought this book was beautiful ...more
Anne Lutomia
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A creative book about Zoe, a six year old who has to leave her city because of a war. She draws a map of good memories so that she can always remember this place and also return to it. The illustrations are easy on the eye and the Author's note soothing.

More exciting is that the book is published by a Certified B Corporation. This means that no trees, no water and no bleach is used to create its books. This book is produced using produced using stone paper
Katie Reilley
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zoe is a young girl who has to leave her country because of war. Before she leaves to seek refuge in another country, she wants to map out the places in her homeland that have shaped her and she’s grown to love. The book has gorgeous illustrations and carries the message that home can be carried with us in our memories.
Good for teachers to use when mapping out memories for writing and as part of a refugee text set.
Ms. Arca
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the concept and was thinking when I read the blurb that this would be great for introduction to maps and integrating it within kid’s own lives. It might’ve strayed a little too far away from her leaving home for me, I think that’s important to talk about (without the gory imagery) for kids around the world. Sweet and good though.
Patricia McLaughlin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How I wish that this story had been set in the Middle East, not in the Land of Once Upon a Time, where children are currently fleeing to other countries, having no idea what will become of them. The map could trace Zoe’s wanderings from Damascus across the Mediterranean to the Greek Isles through Eastern Europe to Germany and still spell out a happier ending.
Elaine Fultz
Very timely and teachable picture book about the experience of a young refugee. Her memories of the city she must leave due to war will be carried with her. The author's note states, "I would love the readers of this story to do the same experiment that Zoe does with the map of her city, and then discover the result."
Diane
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zoe is forced to leave the city she has grown up in due to war. But before she leaves, she marks up a map of all the places she loves in the city ... the places where she has good memories. And when she connects the dots of those locations, there’s a surprise for her on the map.
Brittany
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very gentle introduction to the realities of world war 2. Good for very young or sensitive children. We are studying different cultures this year for kindergarten and we have been touching on many books with tough subject matter.
Michelle
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing illustrations and message. BUT what is even more amazing is the actual pages of this book! They are produced without water, trees, and bleach and are WATER AND TEAR resistant! This could be a revolution in library books!
Liz Ortiz
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for a reading writing connection!
Marni
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2020
We all have our special places, and they all make us who we are.
Sassy
Pairs well with a map unit that comes up around first or third grade.
Kimmie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Beautiful watercolors, sweet and inspiring. I only wished that there was more and that I could understand the history of Zoe and her world.
Michele Knott
Mentor text for writing if you do mapping for story ideas.
Add to your refugee collection.
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-favorites
Really loved this book of a child leaving a war torn place and remember what that place had been to her.
Lara Samuels
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning in every aspect!
paula
Every time I read a stack of picture books, one of them is sure to make me cry. No more calls, folks - we have a winner. *snif
Jo-Ann
Texture of the pages is different as they are made with stone paper. would be great to start a conversation about refugees.

• A Stone Sat Still