Start by marking “Stack the Cats” as Want to Read:

Stack the Cats

One cat sleeps. Two cats play. Three cats stack!
Cats of all shapes and sizes scamper, stretch and yawn across the pages of this adorable counting book. And every now and then, they find themselves in the purrfect fluffy stack!
Published May 2nd 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Stack the Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stack the Cats

Start your review of Stack the Cats
Sheri
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and bright read filled with playful cats, counting, and stacking!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile, src2017
A very important guide book for anyone that is considering stacking their cats. Highly recommended.
Carol
Nov 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: children-s
Colorful, cuddly, and adorable. Meow!
Becky
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are SUPER CUTE, but I needed this to either commit more to being a counting book with equations for everything or commit to saying 'screw the math' and just be an amusing picture book that happened to include mathematical concepts. At the end of the day, kids probably won't care... but as a librarian, I wanted more focus.
La Coccinelle
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book delivers exactly what the synopsis promises. It's a counting book, but it also teaches basic addition and subtraction, all with cute, cartoonish cats that... well, act like cats.

I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did, but I can see it being a great book for little kids who are learning to count and add simple numbers. It's a fun way to explain the concepts of more and fewer, and it doesn't hurt that the cats themselves are pretty cute.

Quotable moment:

Lilly
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A vibrant and entertaining book about a group of playful cats. If as an *adult* I appreciated this so much, I can only imagine what kids will think. The colors are eye-catching and Ghahremani's signature Boygirlparty cats show their personalities as they get up to trouble and teach little readers how to count up and down. I'm already planning who to gift copies of this to!
Patty
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good primer for future cat ladies and mens. Learn their preferred ways of stacking and sleeping, also great for counting.

The artwork was adorable.
Amy!
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I would like to stack the cats, thank you.
Corinna
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally! An intelligent kid's book with brilliant illustrations that parents will want to read. Love it!
Kaylee
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cats. 💚
Rod Brown
An introduction to counting and addition with cutesy cats and simple, energetic language. I could easily have read this over and over to my daughter when she was a toddler.

The electronic version had unfortunate divisions in the art for two-page spreads; they would look so much better in a physical book.
Jon
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A winner from Boygirlparty, I love Susie's art and sense of humor and the winning combo of cats + math is both timeless and hilarious!
C. S.
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like a nice symmetrical progression.
Abigail
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Cat Lovers / Readers Looking for Quirky Counting Books
Author/illustrator Susie Ghahremani delivers an amusing feline counting book in Stack the Cats, which opens with one cat sleeping, two cats playing, and three cats (you guessed it) stacking. The readers follows along as the narrative builds to ten cats, laying out what each group of fluffy felines gets up to...

As a cat-lover with a weakness for whimsical feline fluff (of both the biological and bibliographic sort), I knew before I picked up Stack the Cats that I would find it amusing, and I was
Garrett
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
A good book for counting! If I had to give you three reasons you should read this book they would be because it's fun and because it's wacky.
San Diego Book Review
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Mary Langer Thompson for San Diego Book Review

Although ten cats are too numerous, there are ways to stack them! In this clever book,"Stack the Cats," words and pictures by talented author and artist Susie Ghahremani show cats playing and sleeping and piled into a stack.

You can read this entire review and others like it at San Diego Book Review.
Bridgette
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could this book be any more awesome?! I don't think so. Adorable illustrations, amazing really and such a great read. My son loves it. Highly recommend Stack the Cats! I will be buying a few copies for friends of mine too. Unique and wonderful!
Elisabeth
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a lovely way to teach math concepts beyond just counting and addition. Here you also have the beginnings of sets, multiplication, and the spatial application of numbers. Perfect for a visual-spatial learner. Brilliant.
Cheryl Gladfelter
Bright and colorful, this is a fun counting book full of adorable cats. Love!
Rebecca Ann
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ermerger, I love this book. it is a great way to practice counting and stacking with toddlers and is also hilarious. I am definitely using it in storytime.
Jenny
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Did you know that cats like to be stacked in sets of three?
Zoe's Human
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt
A cute, cheerful cat lovers book for counting and simple math concepts.
Michelle
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little bit of addition and division in this one.
The Sleepy Creator
Dec 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Blah blah blah.
Lacey Louwagie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BEST COUNTING BOOK EVER. Super cute illustrations and short enough text to hold my eight- month's old attention. Would have preferred a board book version, though.
Anna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much I want to own it! The illustrations are so colorful and adorable and wonderful! It's like a counting book with some math squeezed into it and it's brilliant. If only this book existed when I was younger because I would have loved to learn how to add and such with these amazing cats. The way it's written it sounds more like a story than regular old counting and that's the brilliance of it. If I could give more stars I would.
Roben
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful! The cats are adorable and this is a nice twist on traditional counting books. I only have one cat so I currently can't stack my cats. I had planned on reading this to my almost 6 year old grand but instead she read the whole book to me! A true treat.
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My toddler (1.5yrs) loves this book!! She wants to read it over and over again and points at every single cat on every page and says “kitty” “meow”. She points at the stack of 2 cats and says 2 cats, and has learned to count small numbers of other things as well. The colors are bright and engaging, and the illustrations are cute and clever. Every cat on every page has it’s own little personality- some of them wink, some stick out a tongue, some are napping. We talk through each cat as my daughte ...more
strawberryluna
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet and adorable book! I mean really, stacking cats and the gorgeous illustrations by author / illustrator Susie Ghahremani? Perfection for young readers. I've been a fan of Ghahremani's work for years and I'm just so pleased and happy to see her first foray into author+illustrator publishing. Looking forward to more and I can't wait to gift this book to other friends and family with young ones learning to read!
Gina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book uses cute and simple illustrations of cats to teach basic math principles such as addition, subtraction, measuring and counting. Delightful and educational.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Niblet & Ralph
  • Noisy Night
  • The Very Fluffy Kitty, Papillon (Papillon, #1)
  • A Parade of Elephants
  • Little Excavator
  • Tallulah The Tooth Fairy CEO
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Little Taco Truck
  • Look
  • Mad, Mad Bear!
  • Big Box Little Box
Susie Ghahremani is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. Susie independently designs a whimsically illustrated stationery and gift brand titled Boygirlparty®, one of Etsy's most popular shops.

Her debut as author-illustrator -- STACK THE CATS -- was named Best Book of the Year by both Kirkus and Amazon! A Kirkus starred review declared it "a book that can expand children's thought proce

News & Interviews