Start by marking “Done Dirt Cheap” as Want to Read:
Done Dirt Cheap

Done Dirt Cheap

Tourmaline Harris’s life hit pause at fifteen, when her mom went to prison because of Tourmaline’s unintentionally damning testimony. But at eighteen, her home life is stable, and she has a strong relationship with her father, the president of a local biker club known as the Wardens.

Virginia Campbell’s life hit fast-forward at fifteen, when her mom “sold” her into the ser
Published March 7th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Done Dirt Cheap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Done Dirt Cheap

Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
215 books — 1,555 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,086 books — 8,372 voters

More lists with this book...

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNF @ 40%. I tried so hard with this one, but it took me nearly a full week just to make it to the 40% mark. I'm SO not in the mood for it. I may try and pick it up again someday, but for now, I really need to accept that it is just not happening. Buh-bye.
Renée Ahdieh
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"With DONE DIRT CHEAP, Sarah Nicole Lemon has brought together everything I love about the best of stories. The prose is lyrical, the atmosphere is windblown and sultry. And the boys? These are some of the most carefully wrought love interests I've read in a very long time. If you are haunted by the idea of a dark, modern fairy tale and knights in shining armor with Harleys for horses, this book is for you."
Kerri
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Updating this review because I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH I BLURBED IT.

A unique, wild, captivating, sexy ride! I could get lost inside this gritty, contemporary southern world Sarah Nicole Lemon has created again and again. DONE DIRT CHEAP revs its engine from the first scene and is full-throttle until the end.

Have you added it yet??? Please do so we can flail together on twitter! xoxo
Summer (buttermybooks)
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
UHM YES HI THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS THAT I HAVE READ ALL YEAR. I will be the first to admit that I did not expect a book about a motorcycle club to evoke much emotion from me, but that is EXACTLY what it did.

I started DONE DIRT CHEAP while on break at work and promptly regretted it because it was ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT. I seriously read maybe 20 pages on break and spent the entire rest of the day wishing I could just sneak into the bathroom to binge a few more pages. I am obsessed. I am so
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

An ARC of Done Dirt Cheap was provided to me through NetGalley via the publisher. This does not effect my review in any way.

DNF: 45%

DNF @ 45%

Done Dirt Cheap seemed like something I would love. It was advertised as Sons of Anarchy meets Thelma and Louise which sounds like the perfect recipe for a great story. Unfortunately, I just really couldn’t get into this novel. It’s a shame because based on reviews I’ve seen, it seems as though readers really enjoyed it and I’m disappointed that I didn’t
Jeff Zentner
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DONE DIRT CHEAP is the kind of book that makes you want to go out and get a tattoo—and a line from it as your tattoo. Save room on your body if you read it.

If you love stories of fierce, powerful young women in charge of their own destinies, told in gorgeous, gleaming prose, with a voice that roars like a Harley taking a bend in a mountain road too fast, then DONE DIRT CHEAP is the book for you.
Roshani Chokshi
"I'm not a jealous person," she said. "I won't tell you what to do or how to do it, because you're a grown-ass man and that's not my job. I'm not your mother and I'm not God. I'm a cold-hearted daughter of the devil; and if you betray me, I'll get my revenge and walk as light by you as you can by me. And if that scares you, you should leave now."

Lemon's debut was glorious. You don't have to be a Southerner to appreciate the way she brings this landscape to life. The way she described this setti
Sara (Freadom Library)
I received an e-ARC of this book from Abrams Kids and Amulet Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 3.5 out of 5 stars
This book doesn’t have a linear plot in my opinion, it’s much more character oriented. But there’s a lot of amazing themes expressed and developed in this story. It’s a coming of age and it talks about hope, ambition, trust, friendship, honesty, bravery and just gen
charlotte
Galley provided by publisher

Where do I start with this book? I genuinely have no words for how much I loved this book. It's only January, but I'm calling it now - this is possibly one of the best books I'm going to read this year.

The writing in this is just amazing. It's so so gorgeous and lyrical and it flows so well. There was never a point where I stopped and thought hold up, that sounds forced, because it never does sound that way. It all works so perfectly and I just have no words. It is so
Aoife
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Amulet/Abrams and Chronicle in exchange for an honest review.

Tourmaline Harris is the perfect princess of the Wardens - a motorcycle club where her dad is the president. But as Tourmaline struggles to deal with the guilt of her imprisoned mom, she begins to wonder how much she’s actually respected and what her father and his gang actually do. Tourmaline becomes friends with Virginia Campbell, a former pageant queen working for a crooked lawyer who wants h
Traci Chee
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am dead. Lemon has killed me with her words, and I am glad. Wow, what a book.
Weezie
Apr 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2017
DNFed 30% in. Review here: https://weezieswhimsicalwritings.word...
Janani
UPDATE: Fellow readers have talked about how the representation of the one black man in this book has really hurt them. I will admit I did not spot it earlier, but it is not my lane and therefore not my place to police their hurt. I have changed my rating because of this. This thread by a fellow blogger should clarify what specifically is wrong with the rep in the book: https://twitter.com/weeziesbooks/stat...

Apologies to anyone that went in to read the book based on my previous review only to b
Alyssa
Feb 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017-releases
New Swanky Seventeens book! Also the first book I've ever created/added on Goodreads. :D
Aila
4/25/17:

Edited because of problematic content!

Racist stereotypes enforced in the interracial romance, as well as fetishization of human trafficking. Follow thread for information: https://twitter.com/WeeziesBooks/stat...

------------------
2/28/17:

Extremely fun, with strong female characters that you can't help but cheer for throughout it all.

Quick points:

- Kickass female friendship. Tourmaline and Virginia knew each other before the book started, but they have pretty much nothing in com
Jessica
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I'm on the fence with this book. I LOVED the badass female characters and their friendship but there was just something about the writing style that put me off. I spent the first few chapters confused about what I was reading & unable to connect with the characters or understand the majority of their actions.

After I got into the story it was easier to picture the scenes and follow the plot. Near the end, the b
Noelle
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Guys, I so wanted this to be We Dug Coal Together or rather We Overthrew the Shitty Hillbilly Patriarchy Together---but in the end was it and did they? I don't know!

Would I be satisfied with anything other than the girls moving the hell away from Appalachia and biker gangs and too-old-for-them (albeit interesting and swoony) love interests? Am I being unfairly harsh on a debut author tempting me with an Elmore Leonard-esque character roster and plot description and then not being...well, Elmore
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

Tourmaline Harris is the daughter of the leader of the town’s infamous biker club known as the Wardens. She’s got a good home life, a good relationship with her father. But at 15 she unintentionally sent her mother to prison. Virginia Campbell was ‘sold’ into the service of Hazard – a sleazy but powerful (&criminal) attorney. Virginia is sent to infiltrate the Wardens under the orders of Hazard because he wants them gone. Virginia has eve
Laura (bbliophile)
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Edit: I know I previously stated that I was going to try to read this book again. Yesterday, I read this review (https://weezieswhimsicalwritings.word...) which made me aware of the fact that this book is trash, so I won't try to read it again. If you're thinking about picking this book up, please give that review a read.

DNF for now.

I'm really disappointed that I didn't like this one, since a lot of reviewers seem to absolutely love it. There was just something about it that made me unable to
Allison
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Need to put my thoughts together on this but there's so much here to love. The central friendship between Tourmaline and Virginia takes the cake but all the relationships are so achy and ugh.

Longer RTC.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was more then I expected and completely reversed from what I thought would happen. Not only is the writing lyrical and beautiful but it propels the story in a real world setting that still makes it feel like fantasy. You see the reigning king, his fallen queen, the sheltered princess, her lady in waiting, and the knight ready to take her heart and buy it all, as everyone rides on the sexiest thing ever, a Harley. My only complaint was I wanted it to be longer. I want more brooding biker, I ...more
Carlie Sorosiak
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I now want to buy a leather jacket and some motorcycle boots.

I've had a MAJOR crush on this book since I first heard the title and concept, and I'm very, very happy to report that Done Dirt Cheap lived up to my extremely high expectations. IT WAS SO WORTH THE WAIT!!!!

First, let's take a moment to swoon over this cover, because SWOON. It's perfect.

I haven't read anything quite like Done Dirt Cheap in YA, and that's extremely admirable. The novel hooks you from the moment Tourmaline walks
Laure Eve
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very special kind of contemporary. It has all three of the golden rules for capturing my complete attention:

* flawed, complicated characters
* gorgeous, lyrical writing
* interesting BUT WHAT THE HELL WILL HAPPEN plot (which, caveat - normally only interesting to me when the first two rules are fulfilled)

Plus, as an additional money can't buy bonus, it has the -steamiest- romance.

And motorbikes. GIRLS ON BIKES. GUYS ON BIKES. There is not enough of -this- happening in YA for me, thx.

Ful
Crystal (that.ending.though)
DNF p142

The writing just was not working for me on this one. It's such a bummer too because I was really excited for it. I love MC stuff and I've heard SO many great things from friends, but I just could not handle the writing. The way the character perspectives were written felt SO off to me. I kept feeling like I missed something because things felt like they were jumping from here to there, which lead to me feeling confused or lost, and I just don't care for that.
Chessa
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, kindle, own_it
An off-beat empowering read

Let me just say this up front: I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book.

I found the first 25%...bewildering. Confusing. I couldn’t figure out who knew what and what they should and shouldn’t know - and it made everyone’s motives weird and baffling.

BUT!

Just hang in there. Keep going. Get past the armor of T & V and sink into their lives. It’s worth it. I finished this with full-body goosebumps.
Clare
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect from this going in but it totally blew me away. I loved the characters, the plot had me on the edge of my seat and I just need more from Sarah Nicole Lemon. Soon.
Diabolica
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Liked but couldn't love....

The first few chapters were certainly a confusing bit, nothing really seemed to connect, but as the story progressed I really started to like the novel. Though there were some relationships that I couldn't quite endorse....

Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Review posted on ItsJaneLindsey.

Done Dirt Cheap is unlike anything on the young adult market right now. Billed as Sons of Anarchy meets Thelma and Louise, this tale about female friendship and biker gangs was completely unexpected.

What I loved about Done Dirt Cheap is that this book is fundamentally about the strength of female friendship. Tourmaline and Victoria have both received more than their fair share of hard knocks in life, and from the outset they’re just using each other to achieve the
Rebecca Barrow
Oh, Tourmaline. Oh, Virginia. I wanted to wrap them up and whisper, "Sweet baby angels, everything's going to be okay, let's stop making terrible decisions." But it wasn't their fault, because they didn't know their decisions were terrible--or, sometimes they did, but it was all they knew to do. This is a story about two girls clawing at life, trying to find a space in the world for themselves in a world that doesn't really want them. It's about hating the people you love and then loving them ev ...more
Angie
I cannot coherently talk about how much I LOVE this book yet. The characters - especially Tourmaline and Virginia - are amazing and absolutely stole my heart. The writing is gorgeous and evocative and I felt like I was there with them. PLUS THOSE LOVE INTERESTS MY GOD THEY DO NOT GET ANY HOTTER THAN THAT OKAY.

This story is all about fierce young women taking ownership of themselves and the world around them and ugh my heart please pre-order this, you will not regret.
  • Echo After Echo
  • Hello Girls
  • The Last Summer of the Garrett Girls
  • Maybe in Paris
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Naondel (Punaisen luostarin kronikoita #2)
  • My Heart Goes Bang
  • The Stand-In
Sarah Nicole Lemon is the author of the young adult novels DONE DIRT CHEAP and VALLEY GIRLS. After an unconventional girlhood, she now lives outside of Washington D.C. with her husband, three children and snuggly Pit Bull, Maggie. When not writing, you can find her sweating profusely in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

You can follow her on Twitter (@sarahnlemon) and Instagram (sarahnicolelemon)
“We're friends because when girls - women - are alone in this world, they're easier to pick off” 9 likes
“The only people who matter between me and you are me and you.” 1 likes