Start by marking “Ungrateful Mammals” as Want to Read:
Ungrateful Mammals

Ungrateful Mammals

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Eggers is one of the most notable writers of his generation, recognized for such bestselling and critically acclaimed books as A Hologram for the King, What Is the What, and The Circle. Before he embarked on his writing career, Eggers was classically trained as a draftsman and painter. He then spent many years as a professional illustrator and graphic designer before turni ...more
Published October 17th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Ungrateful Mammals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ungrateful Mammals

Kristina Romero
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Strange and hilarious and entertaining in equal measures.
Brian
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I enjoyed this muchly, possibly because I also enjoy writing ridiculous things next to birds I've drawn.
Jo
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous, art
LOL.
Lucas Brandon
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so amazing that I am now tempted to change all the other five star books in my read list to four stars because none of them can compare to this book. This is revolutionary work. A masterpiece of modern art.
Kenny Tymick
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: coffee-table
At times self-indulgent like the publishing of inside jokes, other times he contents himself to thunder down old testament proclamations, Eggers has published a peculiar work of sheer juxtaposition. For all its sparse, uncontextualized messages, Ungrateful Mammals can nothing without Egger's brisk, albeit full-bodied, doodles of various animals. To me, this work is about one man having fun with his hobby, each mammal affectionately drawn in equal parts sober and somber, often gazing disintereste ...more
Glen U
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
An amusing, creative book, featuring sketches and words of wisdom by essayist/humorist/novelist, Dave Eggers. Eggers, a trained artist, gives to his readers drawings of animals with short blurbs of text or quotes, that humanize his beastly friends. In most cases, Eggers shows his wry and poignant side, in others, the reader must just guess at what private joke Eggers is communicating. All in all, worth the hour or so spent to peruse this book, a thoroughly enjoyable look at a different side of D ...more
Brad
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Meh. This lives somewhere between art and populist memes. The words attached to the drawings are rarely funny or witty or profound so much as they are incongruous. And not intriguingly or perplexingly incongruous. They just are. And they aren't particularly memorable. I could picture them being little headscratcher postcards in a hipster boutique, I suppose. Just my opinion.
Hannah
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite fun and poignant! Eggers brings his wit and "artistic talent" to the fore here with Ungrateful mammals - my only qualm is a spelling error in one of the pictures, but alas, that's my being a pedant.

An enjoyable graphic novel and lunch time read
Julieann
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
These are drawing - sketches, almost - of a variety of animals with their comments, to us or to the world. Eggers points out that he was trained in the classical style of art, but hasn't painted for quite a few years. This started informally, then developed into an entire book.
Candra Hodge
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed drawings. Interesting and at times bizzare captions.
Sara
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cool!
Jason Vanhee
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The art is nice, some of the text accompaniments made me pause and read them over and over. (Some, certainly, did not.) It's definitely worth a look.
Iris
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
eggers' drawings of large animals- bison, water buffalo- are superb.
John Pehle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spend an hour (or spend fifty) with these delightful and enigmatic animals. Ponder the drawings, ponder the captions, repeat as needed.
Lesley
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the drawings but the text was often beyond me. I'm not a fan of the Bible any way.
Mark McCormick
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jody
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I want to rip out half of these pages and hang them in my cubicle. I have a copy from the library, though, so maybe I should buy a copy of my own.
Andrea Larson
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not sure I understood everything in this book, but it made me laugh. It's clever, charming, and challenging. Cute but edgy. Never knew Eggers was an artist before becoming an author.
Cory
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Would go nicely with a Lisa Hanawalt book.
Julia
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Odd but undeniably fascinating...
Laurian
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was enjoyable, if silly.
Ronda Canary
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Mmm, huh
Chantell  Petrell
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Just read this sitting in the library. The captions paired with the mammal art were quite hilarious, and I am happy to have stumbled upon it.
Larisa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Thoroughly entertaining romp with animals in existential crisis. And it makes me want to doodle.
Abby
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-books
fine, weird, liked a lot of the sketches , heavy on the dogs
Bookish
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, nonfiction
Eggers adds captions to his drawings of animals. Spoiler alert: Not all the animals are mammals. Lest you think it's all fun and games, there is some thought-provoking stuff, too.
Janet
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Irreverent & Delightful!
dirt
Jan 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dave Eggers is the author of ten books, including most recently Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?, The Circle and A Hologram for the King, which was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award. He is the founder of McSweeney’s, an independent publishing company based in San Francisco that produces books, a quarterly journal of new writing (McSweeney’s Quarterly ...more