Start by marking “South” as Want to Read:
South

South

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
When a lonely fisherman finds an injured bird on his boat, he nurtures it back to health and—since the bird can no longer migrate with its family—charts a course to head south for the winter. Together, the two form a special friendship and enjoy life at sea until both the healing process and the journey must come to an end. In the tradition of the classic Amos & Boris, ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South

Brian Walker
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-a-day-2017
5 for pictures. 1 for story. My son saw the banjo on the first page of the story and bagan making banjo plucking sounds with his voice, which then made me turn the story reading into a bluegrass song. But...it still didn't help the story.
Jasmine
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stunningly beautiful illustrations. I hope this author/illustrator creates many more books. In terms of the fisherman experience, however-- it's a bit clear he lives in a city. A single person who lives on a boat for months at a time, at anchor, fishing? Tell me more about your research methods, dude.
Gordon
Charming and heart-warming, Daniel Duncan's South about the friendship formed between a fisherman and an injured bird is genuinely moving despite the simplicity of the tale intended for very young readers. Duncan's illustrations are so much fun, and loaded with fun-to-notice details.
Jeimy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut about a fisherman who helps an injured bird. Daniel Duncan, you’ve got a new fan!
Lisa D
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Baby Bookworm
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is South by Daniel Duncan, a lovely tale of kindness, friendship, and how we can touch the lives of the ones we care for.

A lone fisherman sails across the sea in his single-man vessel. One day, he finds an injured bird on deck. He takes the poor creature in and mends its broken wing, giving it a warm nest of clothes to sleep in and feeding it from his daily catch.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
South by Daniel Duncan. PICTURE BOOK. Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2017. $18. 9781419722998

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

A big-bellied, bearded fisherman hears a sudden noise and discovers an injured bird on his boat. He splints the bird’s wing, and then waits. There is nothing more to do. Even though he comes to love how the bird sings along with his banjo and tastes the fish each day, the weather turns cold and he knows his boat is no home for the bird. So he heads sou
Helena
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, fiction
My kids, especially my 5yo son, loved this book--and so did I. It's a sweet, simple story about an act of kindness, which is so very needed in today's world. The illustrations are lovely as well--my son loved poring over the details and also matching the items on the endpapers with the illustrations they came from. It's the sort of high-quality book I've come to expect from Abrams. We had checked it out of the library but will very likely buy a copy for our home library, as my kids were really s ...more
Traci
Solitary fishing as a profession is a lonely one. But cue in a bird who needs a little TLC and this fisherman has a friend for life.

Take this journey with your young one as the fisherman befriends an injured bird and see where you end up.

Sweet and subtle story on finding friendship in an unusual way.

Written and illustrated by Daniel Duncan, published by Abrams Books for Young Readers.

#mustread #friendship #lettinggo
Linda
More than one story has an underlying theme of loneliness and this is another. A fisherman alone on his ship finds a gull with a broken wing, helps it recover, but knows it cannot stay after healing. Kindness prevails; he heads the ship SOUTH! I love illustrations that fill the page, and Daniel Duncan, new illustrator to me, creates pages with lots of sea-faring details that can be imagined on a ship that one lives on. There’s a fun ending, too.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A touching story about friendship, and home. We loved this book, and it's beautiful illustrations. Not to mention the simplicity beauty of both the story telling, and the message, that even young children will be able to comprehend/understand. This is one picture book that is definitely worth picking up.

FULL REVIEW http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/0...
Juliana Lee
There was a fisherman who traveled alone... until he found a seagull with a broken wing. The fisherman took care of the seagull and the seagull liked being aboard his boat eating fish all day. But when the seagull's wing had healed, the fisherman knew it was time to take him back where he could join his family. The seagull flew back home and the fisherman set course for his home too.
Clarissa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet picture book about a fisherman who finds an injured bird, and takes care of it until the bird recovers. The illustrations are lovely and filled with wonderful details so you want to examine them closely.
Donna Mork
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet book about a fisherman who saves a bird with a broken wing. They become friends until the bird heals. Then the fisherman takes the bird to an island and sets him free. The fisherman then sets sail for home.
Steffanie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A picture book about a fisherman who finds an injured bird and he reroutes the boat to go South. This way, the bird will be able to survive in a warm area. The story is short but the illustrations are beautiful.
Pamela Richey
The story is very simple. The illustrations are fantastic! This is a cute, enjoyable, quick read.
Sara
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Simple text with theme of having to say goodbye.
Alyssa
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple, beautiful story; bittersweet. Fantastic illustrations.
Panda Incognito
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has radiant illustrations and an unstated but beautiful message that even tough-looking men can be gentle and nurturing.
Jill
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 for the illustrations, 3 for the story.
Owen Love
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book blew me away! They are just gorgeous! I also enjoyed the sweet message of friendship in the story. This is one of my favorite children's books I've ever read.
Mel-Mel
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5
Rich Izzo
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pict-books
What a charming, sweet book. That's all I have to say.
Boni
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the illustrations, but not much of a story.
Ana Calabresi
5 stars for the illustrations!
elyse
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
looooooove the illustrations!

so intricate, so sweet and sad...but also hopeful
Lindsey
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are amazing.
Tracie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sailor nurses a bird back to health and then finds a way to remember the bird once it leaves.
Maija