Start by marking “South” as Want to Read:
South

South

When a lonely fisherman finds an injured bird on his boat, he nurtures it back to health and—since the bird can no longer migrate with its family—charts a course to head south for the winter. Together, the two form a special friendship and enjoy life at sea until both the healing process and the journey must come to an end. In the tradition of the classic Amos & Boris, ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South

Start your review of South
Abigail
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories That Encourage Humane Interaction with Wildlife
Shelves: picture-books
When a lonely fisherman finds an injured bird on his boat, he nurses his avian visitor back to health, enjoying his company in the process, and forming a bond of true friendship with him. As the bird heals, the fisherman realizes that his boat is no proper home, and he heads south, setting sail in order to find his winged companion a new land...

A debut from London-based author/illustrator Daniel Duncan, South put me in mind of a number of other recent picture-books I have read, from Marianne
Brian Walker
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-a-day-2017
5 for pictures. 1 for story. My son saw the banjo on the first page of the story and bagan making banjo plucking sounds with his voice, which then made me turn the story reading into a bluegrass song. But...it still didn't help the story.
Jasmine
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stunningly beautiful illustrations. I hope this author/illustrator creates many more books. In terms of the fisherman experience, however-- it's a bit clear he lives in a city. A single person who lives on a boat for months at a time, at anchor, fishing? Tell me more about your research methods, dude.
Gordon
Charming and heart-warming, Daniel Duncan's South about the friendship formed between a fisherman and an injured bird is genuinely moving despite the simplicity of the tale intended for very young readers. Duncan's illustrations are so much fun, and loaded with fun-to-notice details.
Jeimy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut about a fisherman who helps an injured bird. Daniel Duncan, you’ve got a new fan!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
There are a number of books that touch on the theme of friendship and having to separate from a friend. Similar to The Lion and the Bird by Marianne Dubuc.
Debbie Tanner
This would be a good one paired with Bluebird by Bob Staake.
The Library Lady
I love it when I read a good picture book that wipes away the taste of a bad picture book. And this book is a really good picture book.

First, there is a sweet story, told with just enough words. A lonely fisherman finds a bird with a broken wing, heals the wing, enjoys the company of the bird, but then, knowing that the bird cannot stay in the cold, takes it south to its home, and says goodbye: "The boat felt a little quieter after the bird had gone... but the fisherman would always remember his
Baby Bookworm
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is South by Daniel Duncan, a lovely tale of kindness, friendship, and how we can touch the lives of the ones we care for.

A lone fisherman sails across the sea in his single-man vessel. One day, he finds an injured bird on deck. He takes the poor creature in and mends its broken wing, giving it a warm nest of clothes to sleep in and feeding it from his daily catch.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
South by Daniel Duncan. PICTURE BOOK. Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2017. $18. 9781419722998

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

A big-bellied, bearded fisherman hears a sudden noise and discovers an injured bird on his boat. He splints the bird’s wing, and then waits. There is nothing more to do. Even though he comes to love how the bird sings along with his banjo and tastes the fish each day, the weather turns cold and he knows his boat is no home for the bird. So he heads
Becky B
A lonely fisherman finds a bird with an injured wing on his boat. The two enjoy each other's company while the bird's wing heals. In time, the fisherman realizes that the bird needs warmer weather, so he heads south. And by the time they get there, the bird is well again.

This is a story of sacrificial kindness. Yes, the fisherman gets a friend out of the deal. But going south puts him out of his way (you get this from hints at the end), and instead of selfishly holding on to the bird, he lets
Helena
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, fiction
My kids, especially my 5yo son, loved this book--and so did I. It's a sweet, simple story about an act of kindness, which is so very needed in today's world. The illustrations are lovely as well--my son loved poring over the details and also matching the items on the endpapers with the illustrations they came from. It's the sort of high-quality book I've come to expect from Abrams. We had checked it out of the library but will very likely buy a copy for our home library, as my kids were really ...more
Linda
More than one story has an underlying theme of loneliness and this is another. A fisherman alone on his ship finds a gull with a broken wing, helps it recover, but knows it cannot stay after healing. Kindness prevails; he heads the ship SOUTH! I love illustrations that fill the page, and Daniel Duncan, new illustrator to me, creates pages with lots of sea-faring details that can be imagined on a ship that one lives on. There’s a fun ending, too.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A touching story about friendship, and home. We loved this book, and it's beautiful illustrations. Not to mention the simplicity beauty of both the story telling, and the message, that even young children will be able to comprehend/understand. This is one picture book that is definitely worth picking up.

FULL REVIEW http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/0...
Juliana Lee
There was a fisherman who traveled alone... until he found a seagull with a broken wing. The fisherman took care of the seagull and the seagull liked being aboard his boat eating fish all day. But when the seagull's wing had healed, the fisherman knew it was time to take him back where he could join his family. The seagull flew back home and the fisherman set course for his home too.
Alison Reads
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are the highlight of this sweet, simple tale of a fisherman who befriends an injured bird. In fact, the illustrations are strong enough that they could have stood up as a wordless book. I like the message of kindness and of how saying goodbye can be bittersweet.
Clarissa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet picture book about a fisherman who finds an injured bird, and takes care of it until the bird recovers. The illustrations are lovely and filled with wonderful details so you want to examine them closely.
Steffanie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A picture book about a fisherman who finds an injured bird and he reroutes the boat to go South. This way, the bird will be able to survive in a warm area. The story is short but the illustrations are beautiful.
Pam
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fisherman nurses a bird after it breaks a wing. They become friends but the man realizes he needs to take the bird home before winter. He sets sail for the south and returns the bird to his island home.
Donna Mork
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet book about a fisherman who saves a bird with a broken wing. They become friends until the bird heals. Then the fisherman takes the bird to an island and sets him free. The fisherman then sets sail for home.
Carrie Gelson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the illustrations
Casandria
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These illustrations are GORGEOUS! 5 stars just for that. Also, the story is a very sweet little one about friends who come into our lives for a short time.
Michelle
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think a better ending would've been the bird visiting him at the end :)
Kate
I liked this book, but southern hemisphere readers will need to adjust or explain as going south from here will be colder, not warmer.
Rich Izzo
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pict-books
What a charming, sweet book. That's all I have to say.
Vicki
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A great tale on the open sea about a fisherman saving a bird, then releasing it when it's healed. Awesome illustrations and endpapers are like an i spy of the illustrations.
Pickle
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 for the illustrations, 3 for the story.
Boni
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the illustrations, but not much of a story.
Jesse
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet story of friendship and going home.
Lindsey
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are amazing.

• On a Magical Do-Nothing Day