Start by marking “A Good Day for a Hat” as Want to Read:
A Good Day for a Hat

A Good Day for a Hat

Mr. Brown loves hats and can’t leave the house without wearing just the right one. But on this day, every time he opens the door to leave, the situation changes, and Mr. Brown must change his hat accordingly. At last, wearing every hat he owns, Mr. Brown is on his way. When he finally arrives at his destination, we find that it’s Mr. Brown’s birthday, and his friends have ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about A Good Day for a Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Day for a Hat

Start your review of A Good Day for a Hat
Danielle
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I found this delightful with satisfying repetition and reversals and a bunny to watch for in the illustrations. Also, great for costume/dress-up inspiration.
La Coccinelle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
If you like repetition, this book is for you! On the first read, it's amusing to see all of Mr. Brown's different hats, but I have a feeling that the repeating text is going to get really old on subsequent read-throughs.

The pictures are... different. They're kind of fun to look at, with neat little touches (like the one-legged dragon and the magical rabbits loose on Mr. Brown's lawn). But the expressions on the characters' faces are kind of odd, too. The toothy smiles, especially, creep me out;
Danielle H
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very, very cute, and definitely one I'm already planning a storytime for. ...more
Adrienne
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book about a bear wearing a special hat for everything he encounters. Great interactive book for storytime.
Polly
Cute, not much story, but a big hit in storytime for 2-5 year olds.
Ms. Shoshana
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bear, humor, birthday
Bear has a hat for every occasion, no matter how silly. I read this in story time, and it got applause! The repetition is appealing, the pictures are bright, and it was the right amount of silly.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Fuller, T. Nat A Good Day for a Hat, illustrated by Rob Hodgson. PICTURE BOOK. Abrams Appleseed, 2017. $15.95. Content: G.

Mr. Brown has a hat for almost every occasion. But when the weather and other circumstances outside keep changing, he has trouble choosing just the right one. He finally decides to wear all of his hats to visit his friend's house -- only to discover that his friend is honoring a special occasion that Mr. Brown didn't even think to celebrate.

A Good Day for a Hat is cute and co
Stacie
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Good Day for a Hat is a charming tale full of vibrant and playful illustrations certain to delight young readers.

Mr. Brown has a hat for every occasion and he never leaves home without wearing the right one. However, today every time he opens the door he finds the need to change his hat. Finally, wearing every hat he owns, Mr. Brown heads out, but when he arrives at his destination he realizes it's a party and he doesn't have a hat for that. Will his friends come through?

A Good Day for a Hat i
Brooke
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book with simple, large, repetitive text. A bear is trying to leave his house to visit a friend, but his hat is inappropriate for outside (rain, snow, cook off, dragon attack, etc.). He switches hats until finally he wears them all to his birthday party. He is surprised by his friends and his hats fall off. He wears a party hat at the end. The story is simple enough to turn into a felt set to use while you read. It would work great for a storytime on hats.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Yes! A Good Day for a Hat is perfect for the little ones (toddlers, preschoolers, etc.) b/c it is simple and silly. The repition allows for a great chance for the little ones to begin to infer, predict, or at least make a good guess at the next hat.

This would make a great storytime book for the little ones. You could also read Lemke Book 'O Hats by Lemke with it for a fun Hat themed storytime.
I enjoyed this book, which I read to a group of two year olds and their caregivers. It is a nice story and I enjoyed the ending. Something about the flow of it as a read aloud was not perfect, perhaps I felt like the pictures with the perfect hat should be on the next page, so the kids could think about what the hat might be, and then it would appear on the next page, rather than having it right there to begin with. Anyway, I did enjoy reading it and really like the illustrations.
Alison Reads
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Brown has an extensive hat collection. Which is good news since every time he opens his door the scene changes and he needs a new hat to match. This brightly colored book is perfect for the toddler crowd who will enjoy the humorous hats and the surprise of what has changed in each picture. I appreciate that Mr. Brown doesn't get frustrated but instead embraces the need to adjust his fashion. And the sweet humor is perfect for the very young. ...more
Vicki
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A fun and silly book with a lot happening in each picture. Repetitive phrases will allow audience participation with a read aloud to a group.

Watch for the white rabbit, it makes an appearance in many of the illustrations and even more!

The large/taller size of this book does make it a good book for a read aloud-plenty to see and look at.
Rebecca Ann
This may be my perfect preschool storytime book. The pictures are colorful, happy and simple. The concept is engaging, can be made dialogic, and encourages critical thinking. There is a great twist at the end and it is practically designed to be a felt story. Best of all, it is fun!
Cathie (ClassyLibrarian)
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
This book I kept for storytime because of the bright colors and easy story. However, that being said the story itself is a little unsatisfying at the end. The kids and myself are kind of left wanting a bit more. But it is a an okay pic for storytime.
Jj
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun one. I am definitely going to be adding it to my HATS bibliography. It has the perfect length, story, illustrations, and elements for toddlers. It would also lend itself well to a flannel or magnet story.
Miss Sarah
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute preschool and up book featering abear who is headed somewhere but everytime he leaves his house he encounters soemthin g that means he needs a new hat. Can he ever make it to his destination? Lots of different hat.
Diana
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Bear is the very definition of adaptable! lol I wish I were half as calm when things change suddenly!

Great book for hats (of course), but also about how to cope when life doesn't go the way you expect. Also for what to do if you run into magic bunnies or fire-breathing dragons.

Fun book.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
I think the text could have had a little more variation/better connections while still preserving the pattern of the story, but I really enjoyed the illustrations. Would work for a storytime with younger children.
Cheryl
A fun story about a Bear who has just "the hat for that!" for each occasion! Bear keeps stepping outside of his house to a different scene - rain, snow, parades, dragons... perfect for toddlers or preschoolers and a great read aloud to a group. 3.5 ...more
Edward Sullivan
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mr. Brown has a hat for every occasion.
Kristina Jean Lareau
A birthday book with a hat for every occasion.
Britt
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I prefer Old Hat New Hat by Dr. Seuss. For sure.
Catherine
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good book for kids. I enjoyed it. I feel that children will enjoy the reasons for the bear to put on different hats
Stephanie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
adorable pictures! perfect for a storytime all about hats!
Kelly
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute!
A.C. Paige
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple, cute, and funny. This is a good participatory book.
Christina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very fun book about many different kinds of hats. An easy read aloud for young picture book connoisseurs.
Kim
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Needs a hat for all sorts of activities including a surprise birthday party.
Alisha
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bear has a hat for everything (really). This book is full of funny surprises that I'm sure toddlers and preschoolers will love. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
2018 Roe Reading ...: A good day for a hat-illustrated by Rob Hodgson 2 3 Sep 16, 2020 09:35AM

• How to Catch a Yeti
  • Square
  • Nerp!
  • How to Catch a Turkey
  • Spork
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story