Start by marking “All They Will Call You” as Want to Read:
All They Will Call You

All They Will Call You

All They Will Call You is the harrowing account of “the worst airplane disaster in California’s history,” which claimed the lives of thirty-two passengers, including twenty-eight Mexican citizens—farmworkers who were being deported by the U.S. government. Outraged that media reports omitted only the names of the Mexican passengers, American folk icon Woody Guthrie penned a ...more
Published January 28th 2017 by University of Arizona Press

To ask other readers questions about All They Will Call You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All They Will Call You

Lfrench
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In his most recent work Tim Hernandez is at once poet, novelist, detective, historian, and above all a consummate listener. His sensitivity to the stories enshrined in Woody Guthrie's "Plane Wreck at Los Gatos (Deportee)" is breathtaking. The stories that emerge in his novelistic telling are riveting.
Mikel Miller
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tragic story of a plane crash almost 80 years ago is as fresh as today’s headlines about forced deportation. Award-winning author Tim Z. Hernandez reconstructs the accident along with the lives of the victims and their survivors. I love his insights into the hopes and dreams of all aboard—the 28 migrant farmworkers, the pilot and his pregnant wife (subbing for a stewardess who called in sick), the co-pilot, and immigration agent. His reconstructed cockpit conversation is alarming. The way h ...more
Mary
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Sad telling of a tragic event, but the stories of the "deportees" and their families needed telling. Poignant in our day as we discuss those seeking asylum. Woody Guthrie memorialized the story in his lyrics:
The crops are all in and the peaches are rotting
The oranges are piled in their cresote dumps
They're flying you back to the Mexico border
To pay all your money to wade back again

My father's own father, he wanted that river
They took all the money he made in his life
My brothers and sisters come
Deena
There has never been a time in the history of this country when immigration was not a point of contention.

This is not a political book about immigration. It's not even really about immigration. But it would be worth the time to read for anyone who thinks they have strong views on immigration issues.

What this book really is, and why it is worth reading, is the story of some of the people who died in a plane crash in January, 1948. A few days after the crash, Woody Guthrie wrote a poem about them
Ashley Gebb
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was our University's Book in Common for the Year. Given the discussions on migration in our nation write now and as a native of California, I think any light we can shed on the lives behind those who pick our produce and our longstanding way of treating them is important. Hernandez painstakingly researched this book (be sure to read his notes at end) and managed to recreate the lives and pay tribute to people who had been long forgotten by all but their closest family members. He's also jus ...more
Linda Doyle
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the author's Manana Means Heaven a couple years ago, and I loved it. So I was eager to read Hernandez's latest, All They Will Call You. I was not disappointed. Omigod, what a book. Hernandez brings this heartbreaking story to life through both beautiful storytelling and gritty details: "Paper, Ladies garments, Unexplained number of shoes, Baby clothes..." This is a list of the debris that rained from the sky as the plane crashed. And the depiction of the crash is where I lost it and broke ...more
Mike
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An intriguing story about a plane crash 70 years ago. Would have helped to know a little Spanish. Tim Hernandez does a yeoman’s job putting pieces together to find the names of the all but forgotten passengers. Interesting to me because I grew up just south of where the plane crashed. Although I have no recollection of the event, but recognize the names of places. A good reminder of the Importance of field workers in the fertile fields of California. Woody Guthrie wrote a poem about these forgot ...more
J.J. Amaworo
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hernandez tells this unbearably sad story with a poet's lyricism, a novelist's eye for detail, and a journalist's nose for the truth. A wonderful piece of work - a book that honors the dead and the living, and reminds us of the fragility of life and the durability of memory.

Full review here: https://jjawilson.wordpress.com/2017/...
Gary
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a person who cares to write literary reviews, especially for stories that come from the author’s heart and then touches my heart. All I can say is that this is a heartfelt book and I have immense gratitude for the author’s skills, dedication, and perseverance.
Georgia Roybal
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I first heard the Woody Guthrie song about the deportees in the 70's. Arlo Guthrie was singing it in San Jose, California at the university there. The song stunned me and this was during the time that many of the Cesar Chavez boycotts and organizing were happening. It has continued to be one of my favorite songs. Thus, when I learned that Tim Hernandez had written a book about the people who were last in that plane crash, I immediately wanted to buy it.

The book is a heartfelt tribute to the peop
Mona Langer
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully writen telling of the Los Gatos plane crash story.
Pam
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it when a book I have anticipated for a while exceeds my expectations. It reinforces my love of history as stories with the added bonus of a Woody Guthrie poem that became a song.
Mark
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A tragic and wonderful California story, told by a poet. Woody Guthrie's "Deportee" means so much more to me now.
Kim
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful way to tell this long untold story. Tim Z. Hernandez had given a fitting tribute in giving names to these previously anonymous people. A powerful story.
Susana
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I first heard about Hernandez's book on NPR last year—and it was the first time I'd ever heard of the plane crash at Los Gatos and the poem it inspired in Woodie Guthrie. I remember bursting into tears at that feature. I did it again as I finished Hernandez's book.

Because the crash happened so long ago and Hernandez had to piece so much together despite time and poor record-keeping, this is not a straight-up factual retelling. This book is more of a tribute to the lives that were lost, with stor
Jim Colbert
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well-researched and devastatingly moving. Paints a face to some of victims of the 1949 plane disaster Woody Guthrie's poem "Plane Wreck at Los Gatos" was based on.
Laurie
Jul 18, 2018 added it
This book surprised me by giving the background story on each of the passengers on the plane. I was expecting a book about the crash and an investigation of what happened. It was interesting to learn of the immigrants conditions at home that drove them to come to American to earn money for their families. Really helped me see how much of a sacrifice they made in order to work to earn money for their life/families in Mexico.
Gayle
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
ALL THEY WILL CALL YOU is an excellent book about a subject I never would have known about otherwise. And, I'm glad I know now! This is a very serious book, painstakingly researched by Hernandez, about the deadliest airplane crash in California history. During WWII is really when America needed farm workers in the San Joaquin Valley, so it was then that droves of men sought out work in 'El Norte.' This is about a group of migrant farm workers who were being flown back to Mexico because they were ...more
Gina Ruiz
Feb 18, 2019
Rachel
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As a native Californian, I can't believe I first learned of the Plane Wreck at Los Gatos through the public library and Woody Guthrie Center here in Tulsa, OK. All They Will Call You is obviously well-researched, and Tim Z. Hernandez clearly cares about the stories he tells.
Pamela
Jun 15, 2018
Joni Foster
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story about the people who were forgotten in a tragic accident many years ago. Admire the research the author did tracking down the families and listening to their memories. A great reminder that the media always has a slant, a preference for some people's stories over others. Thanks for bringing these people to life.
Adriana Torres