Start by marking “Rimrider (Rimrider Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rimrider (Rimrider Adventures, #1)

Rimrider

(Rimrider Adventures #1)

Teenager Jane Benedict is awakened by her father and ordered to memorize a mysterious code. Hours later, Mathias Benedict is dead and Jane and her brother, Will, are wards of United Earth Corporation. To evade the company's murderous clutches and uncover the meaning of her father’s last message, Jane leads Will on a desperate escape across the galaxy aboard the Freetrader ...more
Published July 30th 2016 by L. A. Kelley

To ask other readers questions about Rimrider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rimrider

The Book Junkie Reads . . .
My children loved listening to this book. Each afternoon after they grabbed a snack and got comfortable this was our daily read for an hour and half each day of one week.

We most certainly did not get any whiny, crybaby characters. We did get action, adventure, sweet little romance, and much sassy humor. We had fun listen then talking about it and what would happen next over dinner that evening.

I do recommend this read as a bounding between parents and children. We had fun and an adventure for
Leta McCurry
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not the kind of book I normally read but for some reasonI find myself picking up this genre lately. This was an enjoyable story set sometime in the future on earth and in space. The main character, Jane, can't seem to stay out of trouble. I found the "other" world the writer imagined to be believable and the characters also. The plot was credible and it did hold my interest. I think tens would really like this, but I enjoyed it. It was a fun read.
Sandra
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
Good for younger teens. The writing and characters were a little young in tone for my taste and I never fully engaged with them. In had all the elements of a good space opera – orphans on the run from the evil corporation that murdered their parents, taken in by the smugglers/rebellion, spying and super cool aliens. It was just all a little too pat in terms of how things happened and our main character Jane who was supposed to be 16 felt a lot younger so the romance element didn't work for me. G ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rimrider (Rimrider Adventures Book 1) by L.A. Kelley is a sci-fi book for teens and young adults but adults might like it too, I know I did. It has a mystery, intrigue, adventure, and action all rolled up into a great plot with a wonderful cast of characters that kept my interest for the get-go. Parents dying suspiciously, father giving her a code to memorize first before he leaves, this code leads to lots of trouble down the way for the two orphans, and lots of action and mystery too. I receive ...more
Eryn
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Not great, just okay. The first third of the book, before the major action starts, seemed like the main character, Jane, was on a tour of the world we're being introduced to. Her teachers tell her what a wonderful world she lives in (for our benefit). Her father dies and she and her brother get on a ship, where people tell her everything that's going on and what everything does and how it works (also for our benefit, but hers, too). It feels as though Jane has never lived in ...more
Melanie Mason
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book. I liked the premise and got swept up in the story as it progressed. I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy and this has a great mixture of both. Jane is anything but predictable and her choices and actions are truly heroic. Her experiences with her family, the free traders, friends, and Mac show the depth of her character and her desire to find her place in the universe.

There were some parts that felt a little rushed in the middle, but the beginning and the end had be captured, t
NaDell
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a girl from Earth who finds that her world is much larger than she thought it was and has more things going on than she expected after her parents both die and she and her brother are trying to figure things out.
I think most people have this happen when they leave home or 'grow up'. We realize that our little world is much smaller than what's going on all over the place and while it is good to shelter young kids from the horrors of terrible people, we also need to do what
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally published at: http://www.lomeraniel.com/audiobookre...

Jane and Will Benedict are informed one day that their father has just died in a random accident at work. This happens just some months after their mother’s death. Both events don’t seem fortuitous to Jane, especially because the morning their father died, he confided her with a secret code but with no explanations. Jane and Will’s parents worked for the United Earth Corporation, and Jane suspects they are behind their paren
Susan
This was a fun bit of space adventure! Jane and her brother Will are a great team, getting into and out of trouble by twists and turns. While Jane is the older by several years, she’s never bossy. Will is never petulant. They really compliment each other in this story. Then toss in Mac and the crew of the Solar Vortex, we get a spice of danger as they take on Souless and his corporate empire (the UEC).

The core of the tale is pretty familiar – a small group (the Free Traders) take on a big evil c
Dawn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by L.A. Kelley. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

Rimrider grabbed my attention from the beginning and never let go. Jane and Will have already lost their mother in an accident and within the first few minutes of the book, they find out that their father has also died in an accident. Or was it? Before he died, he booked passage for Jane and W
Taylor Burns
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
** I WAS APPROVED FOR AN EARLY COPY OF THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW FROM NETGALLEY**

Let me start out with the good parts of this book. I really enjoyed the idea. Sci-fi books that involve space are always some of my favorites. The premise was incredibly interesting and while I feel it could have been executed a little better, it was still really interesting and made me want to keep reading.

The negative parts of this book, well, I have a couple. Firstly, it was just too much inform
Heather Green
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The characters seemed really immature in the beginning of the story. I thought Jane was junior high age, not high school age. It was difficult for me to picture her older as the story progressed. Therefore, I thought the book was written for tweens/young teens, but the content didn't coincide with that impression. There was language and a scene of attempted rape. There were a lot of explanations of futuristic space ships and machinery and planets/space ports that were over my head. It made the s ...more
Chanda
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of the story:

Rimrider is about a young girl (Jane) and her little brother (Will) who have become orphans within the first chapter of the book and their fight for survival and what family means for them. Jane and Will escape their parent’s killers (the government) by boarding a space ship and getting involved with space pirates, rebels, and spies.

This book was difficult for me to get in to until about 20%. I think part of the reason is because I couldn’t connect with Jane. She is very you
Gisele Thomson
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great little story

Tightly written. Interesting. With some great surprises. For 5 stars I would have enjoyed seeing more if her flaws getting her into trouble. She was the steady one so growth of her character was less clear. Though I apprexiated her independence and strength as a character. Sweet little romance tastefully sprinkled in too. A very enjoyable read. So much so that I also read intro chapters to 2nd book.
Diane Burton
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
High Adventure. What a wild ride author Kelley takes the reader on! From escaping from Earth to flying through space on a starship to landing on an alien planet, Jane and her brother Will are involved in murder, espionage, and intrigue. Add in some romance for Jane and you have all the makings of a fantastic science fiction romance. A fast-paced adventure, brave characters, and a tense plot, Rimrider won't let the reader go.
Shelley
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The synopsis sounded interesting so I picked it up and have been happily reading the a series. It may be for young adults not sure but the story and the characters have been great. Just picked upon the third of the fourth. Will see if she has any thing else. I would recommend this to any one ages 12 to 100.
Abby
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I thought that the concept for this book was rather interesting. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it never grabbed my attention the way I thought it would. Nevertheless, the world in which the story took place seemed original and the situations the main characters found themselves in made for some thoughtful consideration.
Janie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imaginative,heroic & inspiring!

Great story for YA. Very likeable characters. I'd like a better description of Gem though. Good and ethical people struggling for human rights against the corporation which thinks nothing of the rights of others.
Martip
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked it.
Denice Darland
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok read

Guess I just need to take a break. This just seemed too young and improbable for me although there is a base for a good tale here.
Catherine
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rimrider

Love a great space adventure and tb
His book got better as it went along. Enjoyed the suite a characters and a rebellion is always good material. Want to read on.
Jinglebelle Jackson
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun sci fi series with great twists and lol moments thanks to the leewits. Very clever!
Timothy Monk
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book!

Excellent read and story. Good pace and.fairly good character development. Can't wait to read the next book. The sample was intriguing.
Julie Carpenter
I saw the cover of this book and was instantly drawn in. It looked fun and whimsical and full of adventure to be had by the characters and me, the reader. A new world awaits anyone who cracks this one open. Full of secrecy, adventure, mayhem, murder, intrigue, space, pirates, space ships, danger, new creatures, new words, disguises, stars, beauty, romance, heartache, healing, saying goodbye, hovercrafts, smuggling, brainwashing(kind of-you'll understand me using that term when you read it), bad ...more
Erika
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Find more of my reviews at my blog Books and Stars.

What a whirlwind!

This story stars Jane Benedict, just a normal girl trying to pass her classes. Until her father orders her to memorize a code one day, all before vanishing and proclaimed dead within twenty-four hours. Jane and her younger brother, Will, escape to try to uncover their father's code and find themselves aboard Freetrader smuggler ship, but they find themselves stumbling on something bigger than they imagined...

Jane was quite the h
Deborah Klein
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and candid review (which I should have published several weeks ago, had health issues not delayed me).

I enjoyed this YA science fiction novel very much. I did not experience any of the confusion or boredom mentioned by other reviewers -- but then I've been reading SF and Fantasy since my early teens. I suspect that SF has certain conventions that regular readers of it anticipate.

Part of my enjoyment stems from the characters and part
Niki
So, despite having some predictable plot-holes, I really did enjoy this book. I think that the reason I gave it a 4 star review is that the author might need a few little things to tweak. I know I read the book nearly 3 months ago, but I still can't help but wrap my head around something so simple of a plot working well. Let's be honest, the plot is pretty standard for a dystopian YA....take girl in teenaged years on the verge of adulthood. Add in a strict government that she doesn't adhere to o ...more
iamnotabookworm
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really really fun and enjoyable trip to outer space. I love this and can't wait to read the next one in the series.

I have mentioned on my previous post that I am not really a fan of sci-fi. I have read some. There were some I enjoyed and some that had left my head spinning. This book doesn't seem like sci-fi to me. This seemed more like an action-adventure, only it was set in outer space. The characters are really interesting and I even surprise myself because I really gobbled up this
Rosie Rizk
Awesome world building!

It's written in a great style, that quickly pulls you into the story. It's also refreshing in that it's outside the usual fantasy genres explored today. This is more of a space exploration/wars type of book, and I loved it. The characters are nicely developed, the love interest has time to develop, and the plot is really great.

I especially liked how science and fantasy mixed in naturally over here. Like, you can have space ships, but there are also - spoiler - aliens with
Missy Ansell
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
**I got this book in return for an honest review**

I liked this book. I really did. I finished it in a short amount of time, would have finished it faster if I had more time to read.

This book is about a girl named Jane. Jane and her brother become orphans after the accidental death of her father (their mother died recently too). The UEC, the company that control most people's lives wants to send Jane to a boarding school and Will (her brother) to a foster home. Before their father died, he booked
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Lunula (Irador Series, #1)
  • All the Tales We Tell (Hearts Out of Water #1)
  • Time Reavers
  • Understanding the Stars
  • Children of Swan (The Land of Taron, #1)
  • The Travelers
  • The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)
  • Twisted Stars
  • The Strings of the Violin (The Hadariah Chronicles #1)
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • H.A.L.F.: The Deep Beneath (H.A.L.F., #1)
  • The Jewel of Kamara
  • Keys To The Sun
  • Forecast
  • Cross Roads
  • Starblind (Starblind, #1)
  • Monsterland
  • The Six Days

Rimrider Adventures (4 books)
  • Outlaw Jane (Rimrider Adventures, #2)
  • The Boneyard (Rimrider Adventures, #3)
  • Shadow Fleet (Rimrider Adventures #4)